5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

AXLE PROBLEM HELP!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 02:24 PM

AXLE PROBLEM HELP!!!!!

I am switching my cheapo autozone axles with custom Raxles axles and i cant get the the drivers side axle out. The retainer ring on the axle is expanded and wont budge. I have and 01 5spd. I have tried pry bars and yanking on the axle but have had no luck. I just put this axle in a week ago just to get me back and forth from NC and now it wont come out no matter what i do.

Any suggestions or solutions????
Old 02-14-2009, 04:58 PM

to be honest with you man..if ur axles arent broke dont replace them..but if you must..i suggest going to a shop and have them use an air hammer..just dont f**k things up
Old 02-14-2009, 06:05 PM

Are you on a lift?

I think some height to allow a BIG pry bar, and that thing is done.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:10 PM

Remove passenger side axle, get big brass punch, tape through from pass side.
I had the same issue.
Old 02-15-2009, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Professor
Remove passenger side axle, get big brass punch, tape through from pass side.
I had the same issue.
I pulled the pass side but i have the differential in there so i cant get a bar through it.

I am replacing the axles cause this is my 4th set of autozone chinease POS axles and im tired of blowing out CVs.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:58 PM

Keep turning the axle about a quarter turn at a time and apply pressure to the end of the pry bar with your foot. At least thats how I got mine off on my 4th gen.

Last edited by nhaven; 02-15-2009 at 07:04 PM.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by nhaven
Keep turning the axle about a quarter turn at a time and apply pressure to the end of the pry bar with your foot. At least thats how I got mine off on my 4th gen.

tried it man. I have a two and a half foot steel crow bar and actually bent it i had so much pressure on it. Im picking up a 4ft case hardened bar tomorrow and hopefully that will get it.

I have a buddy who is a master certified nissan mechanic and he told me what they do and i have gotten advice from many other people and still no luck.

This F****R is stuck!!!
Old 02-15-2009, 09:39 PM

Why are you switching to raxle? Is autozone stuff that cheap?
Old 02-16-2009, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by IHAVEA2KMAXIMA
Why are you switching to raxle? Is autozone stuff that cheap?
yes it is horribly cheap! I was talking with the owner of raxles when i was ordering mine and most places have a core charge which is they want your old axles and he told me that he didnt want those axles, they were worth nothing to him. He told me that they wernt even worth the return shipping.

All autozone axles are is just remanufactured axles and cvs. Its like taking a terd and trying to polish it. your making crap crappier. This is exactly how he put it to me.

I have actually put 3 sets of autozone axles in mine and within one week they start ticking and the boots rip and shoot grease everywhere. Now for most applications these axles will do fine but with me i have my car dropped about 3-4 inches and the crappy axles just wont withstand the strain. I actually had the guy at Autozone laugh in my face when i told him that i wanted my money back and was ordering custom axles. He laughed ans said good luck buying custom since no one does that and also said i hope that guy likes inheriting your problems. So i laughed back at him handed him my phone with the number entered and said here if your so smart why dont you talk to the guy who is making my axles.

Last edited by quiksilver20004; 02-16-2009 at 07:35 AM.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:12 AM

wow good to know cuz my axles are due and I thought about autozone stuff since they have lifetime warranty.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by IHAVEA2KMAXIMA
wow good to know cuz my axles are due and I thought about autozone stuff since they have lifetime warranty.
raxles also gives a lifetime warranty on their product. Also if you have your OEM axles from the manufacturer then they will take those as a core and you will get money back.

Raxles made axles for Josh hickey who is a member of this site. Check out their link
http://www.raxles.com/JoshHickey.aspx
Old 03-05-2009, 01:05 AM
Banned

I am starting to have the symptoms of a F'd axle I believe. I have a 5.5 gen 6-spd and I had the right side axle (the long one) replaced not too long ago (like 2 months and 3k miles) I believe it is already out again, It was a special order from some supplier I have no idea where my mechanic got it. I have lowered the car about 2 inches and it needs an alignment BAD!

Under acceleration in higher gear you can feel the front end kindof rumbling, and almost like a thumping sound is occuring it feels horrible. What could be the causes of this? Just a crappy axle was installed?? It really started doing it when it was lowered, and has seemed to get worse.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by ser_altima
I am starting to have the symptoms of a F'd axle I believe. I have a 5.5 gen 6-spd and I had the right side axle (the long one) replaced not too long ago (like 2 months and 3k miles) I believe it is already out again, It was a special order from some supplier I have no idea where my mechanic got it. I have lowered the car about 2 inches and it needs an alignment BAD!

Under acceleration in higher gear you can feel the front end kindof rumbling, and almost like a thumping sound is occuring it feels horrible. What could be the causes of this? Just a crappy axle was installed?? It really started doing it when it was lowered, and has seemed to get worse.

Had the same problem - turned out to be a bad inner CV joint on the pass side axle. It got worse when turning to the left and lightly hitting the gas (loading up the passenger side). Also noticed it got worse if I hit a bump (compressed the passenger side suspension). A raxles axle fixed me right up. Don't know if that's your problem though. I'd suggest getting the alignment taken care of first to see if that makes a difference since you only notice it at higher speed, and it's cheaper to take care of.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by zoner
Had the same problem - turned out to be a bad inner CV joint on the pass side axle. It got worse when turning to the left and lightly hitting the gas (loading up the passenger side). Also noticed it got worse if I hit a bump (compressed the passenger side suspension). A raxles axle fixed me right up. Don't know if that's your problem though. I'd suggest getting the alignment taken care of first to see if that makes a difference since you only notice it at higher speed, and it's cheaper to take care of.
It pulls to the right REAL bad under almost any kind of acceleration.. whether its hard or light at cruising speed. When I let off the clutch and coast in neutral.. it still pulls to the right due to the alignment issue, but not AS bad. I had a Raxle sent to me.. it is rebuilt I believe but better then the POS the mechanic had installed probably.

Does it help to let you guys know that when lowering the car, my buddy who helped me let the passenger side axle hang and the cv-joint splines came undone and we had to kind of play around with it for about 10 mins to get it back seated together it was a pain.. could something of been damaged in the process?

Thanks
Old 03-06-2009, 06:58 AM

Yeah, that could have contributed to your problem. The shaft splines aren't supposed to just 'slide out'. Could have lost a ball bearing out the race possibly. You shouldn't have any problems with the Raxle axle - those guys know their stuff.
Old 04-12-2009, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by ser_altima
It pulls to the right REAL bad under almost any kind of acceleration.. whether its hard or light at cruising speed. When I let off the clutch and coast in neutral.. it still pulls to the right due to the alignment issue, but not AS bad. I had a Raxle sent to me.. it is rebuilt I believe but better then the POS the mechanic had installed probably.

Does it help to let you guys know that when lowering the car, my buddy who helped me let the passenger side axle hang and the cv-joint splines came undone and we had to kind of play around with it for about 10 mins to get it back seated together it was a pain.. could something of been damaged in the process?

Thanks
Just to let you know The only thing that raxles reuses when remanufacturing an axle is the shaft itself. They never grind or re-man CVs! They put brand new top quality CVs on. In some cases like mine they actually custom made my axles in house.