5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

OBX Headers and NWP Spacers....

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 03:15 PM

definitly tune.... I barely noticed any difference in power after my header install I was definitly disappointed. After I got tuned it was a night and day difference. I have the power now that I was expecting from the get go. The headers are only $350 so another $250 or so for a tune isnt bad and certainly worth the money.

de-foulers - I don't have any experiance with those. I'm a technical sorta person so splicing some wires seems like the way to go for me.

Last edited by 99Silvermist SE; 04-09-2009 at 03:23 PM.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:01 PM

I've used nonfoulers on my old car after going catless. Worked like a charm never had a CEL. I've always heard of people using a resistor in series with signal from the O2 sensor, and they always eventually fail.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by 99Silvermist SE
definitly tune.... I barely noticed any difference in power after my header install I was definitly disappointed. After I got tuned it was a night and day difference. I have the power now that I was expecting from the get go. The headers are only $350 so another $250 or so for a tune isnt bad and certainly worth the money.

de-foulers - I don't have any experiance with those. I'm a technical sorta person so splicing some wires seems like the way to go for me.
When you say tune do you mean getting an SAFCII or did someone at a shop do it for you? And you say only $350 for the header... well yeah, but the cheapest I could find to install here is $620 so really I'm already looking at spending almost a stack.

There's no place to dyno around here and Im not sure anyone around here would even know what to do to tune a car post headers. All I've got is a Nissan dealership and a bunch of "mom and pops" shops.

Is this something I could do on my own? I'm not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to this stuff but I'm trying to learn.

Last edited by C-Young; 04-09-2009 at 05:01 PM.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by C-Young
When you say tune do you mean getting an SAFCII or did someone at a shop do it for you? And you say only $350 for the header... well yeah, but the cheapest I could find to install here is $620 so really I'm already looking at spending almost a stack.

There's no place to dyno around here and Im not sure anyone around here would even know what to do to tune a car post headers. All I've got is a Nissan dealership and a bunch of "mom and pops" shops.

Is this something I could do on my own? I'm not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to this stuff but I'm trying to learn.
Yea you have to tune with a device like a vafc2, safc2, emanage or whatever you feel like getting. I already had a vafc2 so I didnt add that into the price. Most shops that dynotune will be able to tune your car. Just be sure to tell them to get your A/F ratio as close to a flat 13.

I'd maybe call near by towns of somthing because $620 is pretty high. I Think $400 is about the average. Headers at $380 Shipped, install $400, VAFC2 about $160, tune $300 = $1100+/-. It's not the cheapest mod to do but I'd say the most benificial besides boost.

You'd save a bunch if you installed the headers yourself. My cattman y pipe was welded on the the rest of my exhuast so I didnt do it myself since I have no way of welding. Theres been plenty of people do them their selves so you probley could too.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:25 PM

A tune shouldn't cost that much. IDK why any tuners would need more than an hour of dyno time for a/f. For $300 you could buy yourself a wideband and DIY.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:07 PM

Well I wasn't too worried about ruining the car rather that the performance would actually drop because I'd be running too rich after a header install.

So you installed yours without a tune. Did you notice much gain after? Much difference in sound?

I'm just trying to figure all this out before I take it in next month. I need to be happy after dropping all this loot.

Thanks for bearing with me here...

Hopefully some of this info will be useful to others looking to upgrade their performance as well.
I noticed a big difference over the ypipe I was running, But I still need to tune but after I deal with that drive by wire TB which isn't completely open at full throttle, the spacers, coils and plugs, then I'll tune it for the finale!
Old 04-10-2009, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by PulsarGTS
A tune shouldn't cost that much. IDK why any tuners would need more than an hour of dyno time for a/f. For $300 you could buy yourself a wideband and DIY.
I thought it was kinda high too..... He did a great job but I'll try another shop next time.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by PulsarGTS
Yeah... I found a place in OKC (1hr 30min drive) that dyno tunes. I was quoted $379 for the newer Apexi S-AFC Neo, $100 for install, and $150 to tune.

I just wish I could find a place that doesn't ask for my arms, legs, and knee caps to install the damn headers.

The same place that would tune it also said they'd do the headers for $700. Said it was a 10 hour job! I refuse to believe that...

So as of now $620 is still the lowest I can find for header install.

So all together I'm looking at $1249 for headers, apexi S-AFC Neo, install, and tune.

Last edited by C-Young; 04-10-2009 at 02:15 PM.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:03 AM

Why won't you do this yourself if you don't mind me asking?
Old 04-11-2009, 07:27 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yeah... I found a place in OKC (1hr 30min drive) that dyno tunes. I was quoted $379 for the newer Apexi S-AFC Neo, $100 for install, and $150 to tune.

I just wish I could find a place that doesn't ask for my arms, legs, and knee caps to install the damn headers.

The same place that would tune it also said they'd do the headers for $700. Said it was a 10 hour job! I refuse to believe that...

So all together I'm looking at $1249 for headers, apexi S-AFC Neo, install, and tune.
BULL****...tell him to go fawk himself. If you work nonstop you could get it done in 4 hrs with a lift. Trust me, I know.

Do it yourself and get some experience too
Old 04-11-2009, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by CMax03
Why won't you do this yourself if you don't mind me asking?
Well... my only experience in engine mods is a CAI. Other than that I really don't even know where to start. Are there any write ups on this? I haven't been able to find any.

I just don't have the mechanic savvy and I don't want to end up messing anything up.

Plus people have said it requires some grinding and shaving and I don't have the tools for that.

It pretty much comes down to me not knowing anything about the procedure and wouldn't know where to start, what to take out, etc.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:41 AM

Have any of you guys contacted OBX and explained some of the fitment issues so they can come up with a better design like separating the y-pipe from the header and re-locating that 1 bung to the location CMax03 suggested? I think they would make alot more money if they did a minor revision with the suggestions some of you made.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:22 PM

Well... my only experience in engine mods is a CAI. Other than that I really don't even know where to start. Are there any write ups on this? I haven't been able to find any.

I just don't have the mechanic savvy and I don't want to end up messing anything up.

Plus people have said it requires some grinding and shaving and I don't have the tools for that.

It pretty much comes down to me not knowing anything about the procedure and wouldn't know where to start, what to take out, etc.
If you don't have mechanical experience DO NOT ATTMEMPT THIS JOB!!!!! The header install isn't hard but if you don't have any automotive know how you will be in a big pickle. I'm not trying to brag but I have a decent amount of "automotive inginuity" and it took me a whole day to install Cattman's with my car in the garage on jackstand's...now that was the first time around when I didn't know a lot about them but when I uninstalled the cattman's/put the stock ones back on it only took me 4 hours on jackstands. If I was you I wouldn't buy them unless you or a good friend could put them on because shops like to charge out the @$$ for header installs.
Old 04-11-2009, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by pimpin02max
If you don't have mechanical experience DO NOT ATTMEMPT THIS JOB!!!!! The header install isn't hard but if you don't have any automotive know how you will be in a big pickle. I'm not trying to brag but I have a decent amount of "automotive inginuity" and it took me a whole day to install Cattman's with my car in the garage on jackstand's...now that was the first time around when I didn't know a lot about them but when I uninstalled the cattman's/put the stock ones back on it only took me 4 hours on jackstands. If I was you I wouldn't buy them unless you or a good friend could put them on because shops like to charge out the @$$ for header installs.
Why did you take off your cattmans and put the stock ones back on?
Old 04-11-2009, 06:23 PM
Demodded and Forgotten

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
great info here
Love your sig BTW
Old 04-11-2009, 07:54 PM

Ok... Im a little confused as what to do with all the bungs. Do I not just buy some 18mm bung plugs to plug all of the holes and run a universal dual output o2 sim to make up for not having the regular o2s?

Maybe I need a brief description on what all the bungs in this header are for...

Can you help me out?
What he is trying to say is that after you install that rear sensor (if you can get it in there) it will be a very tight fit. I'm the one with those headers that he and I installed on my car almost a month ago. O2 Sensor simulators will save you. Because between 27-37 mph I get this loud buzzing from those two rubbing. Check mine out here.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2671179/8
Old 04-11-2009, 08:42 PM
QUEENZ CRAZIEST

WOW!!!! I can't believe what I just read, that's INSANE!!!!!!! 10 HOUR JOB!!! Too bad you don't live on the east coast. I didn't take that long to install them and I did two installs in my backyard and one on a lift.
Old 04-12-2009, 01:41 AM

Maybe the mechanic has one arm....
Old 04-12-2009, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by CMax03
I'll like to add my $.02... regarding things you will need...
1. Dual O2 Simulator
2. 18mm O2 sensor bung/plug (relocate to pass side of manifold)
3. Tap to clean nuts threads
4. Anti-seize
5. Nissan Oem exhaust gasket are reuseable (laminate stainless steel), replace if crack or burn thru exist!
6. 24 gauge wire to extend the rear O2 sensor further down to the rear exhaust header manifold...Extend on the chassis harness side it's easier!
7. Tiewraps
Do you have your OBX headers on hand already?
24 gauge wire for the extension..excellent. Did you do any heat wrap over it?
Old 04-12-2009, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by gpmax
24 gauge wire for the extension..excellent. Did you do any heat wrap over it?
yeah over the soldered splices and the electric taped and electric wire loom the entire wire lenght.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:16 AM

Ok well, $379 is a lot for the SAFC2. I buy one in the classifieds for about $180 max and install it yourself. Its easy and takes about 30 minutes. Any exhuast shop should be able to install these for you so I would avoid the performance shops as they generally charge more. find small exhuast shops and dont ask how much they charge just say you want some headers installed and you have $350 to spend. If you ask them how much they charge you leave them with the upper hand. If worse comes to worse post a classified ad that you need someone to install some headers for you and you'll pay $350 to $400. You may get a bite.

I just wish I could find a placle that doesn't ask for my arms, legs, and knee caps to install the damn headers.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:24 AM

Ok well, $379 is a lot for the SAFC2. I buy one in the classifieds for about $180 max and install it yourself. Its easy and takes about 30 minutes. Any exhuast shop should be able to install these for you so I would avoid the performance shops as they generally charge more. find small exhuast shops and dont ask how much they charge just say you want some headers installed and you have $350 to spend. If you ask them how much they charge you leave them with the upper hand. If worse comes to worse post a classified ad that you need someone to install some headers for you and you'll pay $350 to $400. You may get a bite.
^^^
Listen to him, I paid $190 to have a muffer hung with a new flange that leaked from a performance shop. Took another muffler to a little shop $40 cash then to a one to another shop $25.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by rroderiques77
Love your sig BTW
thank you
Old 04-12-2009, 10:55 PM

Just measured my AFR with my wideband...Short ram Injen Intake was pretty darn close to ideal AFR for N/A cars...12.2-12.5 the whole time it was in WOT(Open Loop). The closed loop worked with perfection as well 14.5-14.9 at idle , at 80 mph cruising, at part throttle acceleration! So I'll say that the installation of Cattman headers is almost perfect for me and most of the time adding headers to the mix leans things out a little more. Now the entire Injen may be my topend problem in the 1/4 mile it goes to 13.1 initially at WOT then slowly creaps to 12.6!
Old 04-13-2009, 12:35 PM

Thanks for the advice man...

That $379 is not for the SAFCII its for the newer model (I think) called the Apexi Neo. I've looked all over the web and $349 is the lowest price. There are some to bid for on ebay but I don't get down with "bids" like that. Those all start at already $280 anyways.

When you said classifieds did you mean locally? In the newspaper? Well... people's idea of modding a car around here consists of putting a 9 ft high wing on the back of their Neon and adding a crappy muffler. Needless to say, no one would be selling an A/F manager of any sort.

***edit: I just realized there's a classified section on the site. Apologize as I am still learning my way around here.***

On the header install topic... I've decided that, with help from my brother in law who is a mechanic at a dealership, we're going to put them on ourselves. He said he'll be able to pull up detailed install procedures and diagrams for the job at his work so that should help.

I'll be sure to document the install at every step in detail and take pics to post for others to view since there isn't any type of write up for this install here.

Thanks to everyone for your help... I've learned so much here!

Last edited by C-Young; 04-13-2009 at 01:58 PM.