5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

anyone used this before??? nissan bose radio replacement converter

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 05:16 PM

anyone used this before??? nissan bose radio replacement converter

so im pretty sure my bose hu is fried so im looking into some options like using one of these converters wich to my knoledge allows u to use the bose speakers with an aftermarket hu. ive did a little research and on a site and there was a post saying a 4th genner used this and found it to be amazing with the bose speakers and an aftermarket hu, if anyone has tried this or has some oppinons id appreciate it please keep in mind i am layed off and the budgets tight. this parts advertised for about $45
Old 04-07-2009, 06:50 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by bigpopaj369
ive did a little research and on a site and there was a post saying a 4th genner used this and found it to be amazing with the bose speakers and an aftermarket hu,
Seems like you already got your answer.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:00 AM

you don't need one in a 4th gen
I hooked my after market system, subs, amp, and deck with no adaptor and the sound is excellent
Old 04-07-2009, 09:02 AM

have a link that explains this a little better?

Last edited by mannetti21; 04-07-2009 at 09:09 AM.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:06 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by Bassbreaker
you don't need one in a 4th gen
I hooked my after market system, subs, amp, and deck with no adaptor and the sound is excellent
How in the world did you do that? Must have had a non bose radio in there from the factory. The impedance is completely different on a bose setup. Something like 2 ohm's I think.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
How in the world did you do that? Must have had a non bose radio in there from the factory. The impedance is completely different on a bose setup. Something like 2 ohm's I think.
I do have a bose, and all bose amped speakers. It sounds excellent. No distortion, lots of bass(from the subs) the only thing i needed was the wire harness and the antenna adaptor
Old 04-07-2009, 09:36 AM

bose is amped at the speaker so when u use the adapter and a aftermarket radio it uses the preout vs the radios amped output, just like hooking up an amp
Old 04-07-2009, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by importcf
bose is amped at the speaker so when u use the adapter and a aftermarket radio it uses the preout vs the radios amped output, just like hooking up an amp
but i didn't use the adaptor
Old 04-07-2009, 10:18 AM

thanks for the help man im ging to get one real soon driving with a radio that only works sometimes sucks u mite of just gave me the reassurance i needed lol
Old 04-07-2009, 10:20 AM

I do have a bose, and all bose amped speakers. It sounds excellent. No distortion, lots of bass(from the subs) the only thing i needed was the wire harness and the antenna adaptor

im not exactly sure if i can do this with my 5th gen but thanks for the help did it get louder than the bose hu???
Old 04-07-2009, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd

just to answer the ohms question i read up on it and bose runs 1 ohm load with small thin wiring
Old 04-07-2009, 10:39 AM

im not exactly sure if i can do this with my 5th gen but thanks for the help did it get louder than the bose hu???
i read somewhere on the org that it will not produce a loud sound. Well mine did. It's a much more crisp louder sound than the stock bose head unit. I have a Panasonic Deck..i can't remember the model #. But i have it here in a pic. I don't have my car right now either to check the #.

I don't kow what makes mine different than anyone elses but i took a shot in the dark and hoped for the best whe i installed it and was pleased with the outcome. This is it in my old corolla. It's in the max now

Old 04-07-2009, 10:43 AM

i read somewhere on the org that it will not produce a loud sound. Well mine did. It's a much more crisp louder sound than the stock bose head unit. I have a Panasonic Deck..i can't remember the model #. But i have it here in a pic. I don't have my car right now either to check the #.

I don't kow what makes mine different than anyone elses but i took a shot in the dark and hoped for the best whe i installed it and was pleased with the outcome. This is it in my old corolla. It's in the max now

thats so sick man ive got a jvc headunit laying around maybe i will try this before i drop $45 on an adaptor that i amy not even need ill just get the harness first see if it works if i wasnt layed off i would have just removed the bose completely but u seem pretty pleased with ur results so mite as well try it out
Old 04-07-2009, 10:47 AM

I am pleased indeed.
Here it is in the max...not tilted out
Old 04-07-2009, 10:49 AM

thats awesome well im going to get the harness and try it myself if not ill just have to get the adaptor thanks again for the support
Old 04-07-2009, 10:52 AM

thats awesome well im going to get the harness and try it myself if not ill just have to get the adaptor thanks again for the support

no prob. It's worth a try to see if you like the sound. Report back with your findings. I took a shot in the dark like i sadi and it worked for me

Gl
Old 04-07-2009, 11:03 AM
Glory Glory Man United

I got a Bose sound system with a aftermarket HU and it sounds great. The adapter I have even has a volume adjustment for each channel(Scosche). Heres what you'll need if you have Bose in the car now.

Heres the adapter I have. Not sure if this guy still has it available but you might want to see if he does here. http://forums.maxima.org/audio-video...e-adapter.html

Old 04-07-2009, 11:11 AM

all i picked up was the last pic....
Old 04-07-2009, 11:21 AM

You just need the wire harness and antenna adapter.

This worked fo me and it sounded great!!
Old 04-07-2009, 11:24 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

but i didn't use the adaptor
I think he meant harness.

Originally Posted by ae01maxine
all i picked up was the last pic....
So you just used the harness to connect the pre-outs on the head unit to the bose amps, like he said (but used the word adapter instead of harness).

Also, there is way more than enough information on this stuff in the audio and electronics forum. For example:
http://forums.maxima.org/audio-elect...nt-thread.html
Old 04-07-2009, 11:28 AM

yeah, but you do not need to replace the speakers
Old 04-07-2009, 11:33 AM

yeah, but you do not need to replace the speakers
Did you even open the link i posted?

Its has tons of info on replacing just the HU.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:41 AM

my jvc hu that i have only has one set of rca plugs
Old 04-07-2009, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by kgallerie
Did you even open the link i posted?

Its has tons of info on replacing just the HU.
sorry, i'm at work. I'm toggling between the org and AutoCad......but yea, it can be done. I don't know why so many people have trouble with it. Could it be the deck that smoe people are trying to use?
Old 04-07-2009, 11:50 AM

i think my best bet is to drop the $45 on the original part i posted and get the antenna adaptor and the install kit
Old 04-07-2009, 12:26 PM

i think my best bet is to drop the $45 on the original part i posted and get the antenna adaptor and the install kit

true that. If worst comes to worst, buy the adaptor.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:35 PM

sorry, i'm at work. I'm toggling between the org and AutoCad......
been there....done that.....

but yea, it can be done. I don't know why so many people have trouble with it. Could it be the deck that smoe people are trying to use?
If you have some time, read through the whole thread that I posted. The rule of thumb is if your head unit's rca preouts are 4V or more, use the metra 70-7551 to connect the preouts to the bose amps. Otherwise, get a kit like the OP posted or preferably the scosche with adjustable channel gains to connect the speaker level outputs from the HU to the bose amps.

Personally, i have an alpine with 4V preouts and used the preouts. It is sometimes a bit quieter than I like and sounds like it may not be getting quite enough juice to the amp (depending on the track from my ipod). I am thinking about switching to the adapter using the speaker level outputs. The bass isnt quite what it should be either, so I am going to be installing a 10" sub as well.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:53 PM

been there....done that.....

If you have some time, read through the whole thread that I posted. The rule of thumb is if your head unit's rca preouts are 4V or more, use the metra 70-7551 to connect the preouts to the bose amps. Otherwise, get a kit like the OP posted or preferably the scosche with adjustable channel gains to connect the speaker level outputs from the HU to the bose amps.

Personally, i have an alpine with 4V preouts and used the preouts. It is sometimes a bit quieter than I like and sounds like it may not be getting quite enough juice to the amp (depending on the track from my ipod). I am thinking about switching to the adapter using the speaker level outputs. The bass isnt quite what it should be either, so I am going to be installing a 10" sub as well.

I do have preouts on the back of my deck, and I believe they are 4V. It's a really good deck. The problem i have is my sound is to high. I would like to turn the volume up to get more bass in the song but the sound is to loud lol..ya win some ya loose some
Old 04-07-2009, 07:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

alright, i am sorta confused on exactly what i need to be getting if i want to replace my BOSE HU.

I am looking at http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...s/AVH-P3100DVD

So inorder to make this all work, i will need the following:

http://www.installer.com/item/displa...php?it=70-7551

http://www.installer.com/item/displa...php?it=40-ni10

http://www.installer.com/item/displa...php?it=95-7417

is this all I need? is there more? is this too much? I have heard that i would need the Scosche converter like this (http://www.scosche.com/products/productID/999)

If anyone can help give me some feed back this would be great.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by mwhite622
alright, i am sorta confused on exactly what i need to be getting if i want to replace my BOSE HU.

is this all I need? is there more? is this too much? I have heard that i would need the Scosche converter like this (http://www.scosche.com/products/productID/999)

i believe that is it. I never needed to use the scosche converter, but you never know. Try it without, and if it doesn't work, then pick it up. Or buy it 1st and then bring it back if it is no good.
GL
Old 04-08-2009, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by mwhite622

I will post this again.....everything you need to know is in this thread....

Also, this whole thread should be in the Audio and Electronics forum.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:00 AM

so after all the searching i have found this http://www.shipsound.com/product_inf...23a5d150d4874c its going to allow u to keep ur preamp outputs (rca's) on the back of ur new hu for subs like i want to do. it has 4 gain controllers for each speaker so u can dial in the best sound quality out of ur system and its only about $46 with shipping. simply plug in all the connectors provided as the instructions show and wire the new hu wires into the other end of it. making it an almost plug n play setup. the threrad provided by kgallerie was amazingly helpfull. thanks for all the orger help everyone. when i do get the adaptor i will take some pics and post them
Old 04-08-2009, 11:21 AM
Suspension Yoda

I will post this again.....everything you need to know is in this thread....

Also, this whole thread should be in the Audio and Electronics forum.
Thank you. I was starting to grind my teeth as I read this thread.

YOU DO NOT NEED ANY ADAPTER IF YOU HAVE BOSE - 4th OR 5th gen. Save your money and start posting in the right section if you want the RIGHT answers.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:44 PM

so i ended up getting a scosche FAI-3 converter from walmart for $17 bucks i didnt relize they had one until today i was snooping around for connectors. i got the metra dash kit and wire harness. i put it in today and it works great got to tune the gains a little more but overall for the much cheaper price worked great! ill post a pic soon of the final product i used and old jvc hu i had laying around for now.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:25 AM

Converter

I had changed my stereo doing so i had contacted crutchfield.com when you buy the stereo from them they provide you with all the equipment including the converter module it's either for free or a really minimal charge I cant recall. After installation it looks really professional I tell you.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

im not getting any sound

ive got a adapter very similar to this, i know the speakers work, but when i hook up my adapter i get power to the radio but no sound, any ideas why?
Old 06-25-2009, 02:20 PM

which adaptor did u buy? does it have gain controls? when i got mine the gains were all down not letting sound get threw it freaked me out but thats what my prob was.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

So far all the questions pertaining to replacing a head unit have been answered. How would one who wants to replace the head unit and all bose speakers go about installing while maintaining the best quality. (I have a pioneer head unit with 2 sets of 6.5 pioneer speakers.) -4th generation
Old 08-31-2011, 05:26 AM
Suspension Yoda

Replace the head unit, locate the pre-amp speaker wires in each door, extend them directly to your aftermarket speakers.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Assuming I take this route, do the factory wires have the right gauge rating to handle the extra power that comes from the aftermarket head unit.

Quick Reply: anyone used this before??? nissan bose radio replacement converter