5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

ABS, SLIP, and TCS OFF light are all on

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 06:37 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

ABS, SLIP, and TCS OFF light are all on

So my moms 2001 I30T has all three of these lights on, and the SES light is on, but that only comes up for the cat converter...which smells like **** by the way...

i've been driving the car around, everything seems to be fine, although under high speed braking, the steering wheel shimmys like a crazy ****....

Also i'm hearing some funny noises over by the water pump... so that may be going out...

i've checked coils those were fine, i checked the battery after letting it sit for a couple days, and that is keeping its charge, which in turn i'm assuming the alternator is fine since the battery is charged up...

any of you guys have any ideas on why all these lights came on? i've been driving it as my work/school commuter, and the lights stay on consistantly...
Old 05-09-2009, 07:50 AM

I thought that having those lights on are an indication of an alternator ready to drop dead??
Old 05-09-2009, 09:30 AM

Yeah, seems like the alternator is shot, along with a bunch of other things. The shaking while braking is prolly warped rotors.
Old 05-10-2009, 04:29 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Mr.Duck
So my moms 2001 I30T has all three of these lights on, and the SES light is on, but that only comes up for the cat converter...which smells like **** by the way...

i've been driving the car around, everything seems to be fine, although under high speed braking, the steering wheel shimmys like a crazy ****....

Also i'm hearing some funny noises over by the water pump... so that may be going out...

i've checked coils those were fine, i checked the battery after letting it sit for a couple days, and that is keeping its charge, which in turn i'm assuming the alternator is fine since the battery is charged up...

any of you guys have any ideas on why all these lights came on? i've been driving it as my work/school commuter, and the lights stay on consistantly...
I am having this same problem ran a scan and it came up as mass air flow sensor. The car had no power and ran sluggish i replaced sensor car is running great now but those three lights came back on. So now i dont know if my maf sensor was messed up ontop of something else.

Last edited by mjofmadden; 05-10-2009 at 04:33 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-11-2009, 08:11 AM

naw, no symptoms of the MAF going, car drives perfectly fine, except the warped rotors.... and the damn lights....

someone told me a wheel sensor? where are those? i know its by the wheel, but i rarely ever work on 5th gens... so any help is appreciated
Old 05-11-2009, 08:27 AM

i went threw the same problem its was my alternator thats most likely it i also was throwing a wheel sensor code its called a speed censor from what i was told but when i replaced alt it never came back on again 3 yrs later it hasnt came back. gl bro
Old 05-11-2009, 09:02 AM

but if the alternator is going out, wouldnt the battery be having a hard time holding a charge?
Old 05-11-2009, 09:06 AM

more than likely yes mine definetly took a beating
Old 05-11-2009, 09:09 AM

but the thing is, i'm not getting any alternator symptoms... battery life is not being consumed at all... argh... ionno what to do any more..
Old 05-11-2009, 09:13 AM

well the best thing u can do is take it somewheres to have it tested like autozone or advanvedautoparts whatever parts store u go to u prolly need a few things from the sound of it with the list u originally posted. but the all 3 lites usually leads to the alt.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:26 PM

Those 3 lights indicate that one of your wheel speed sensors (or ABS sensors) has gone bad. I recently had the same issue and just replaced one of the sensors last week and it resolved the problem and the lights are no longer on. The wire was totally torn in half, not sure how it happened. I ordered the sensor for around $120 from DaveB. If you check for codes, it should tell you which one of the sensors is bad, but I obviously didn't have to do this. You can find the sensor by taking off the wheel and looking for the wire running to a plastic knuckle...it was on the right side behind the hub for me. To replace them, disconnect it from the harness, then you just have to unbolt it and then pry it out a little (I used a flat head screwdriver). I used some PB Blaster to loosen it up a bit before I did this because it was a little rusted on. Once you get it loose, you should be able to wiggle it out. Be careful not to use excessive force though, because I have read a lot about people who broke them off and then had to drill them out. It's pretty easy to do...shouldn't take longer than a half hour.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:43 PM

I think it means that coils need to change or misfire...this was in my case
Old 05-11-2009, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by karoll
I think it means that coils need to change or misfire...this was in my case
No it doesn't.