5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

The P0340/Camshaft Recall Nissan Saga/Ordeal

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 08:33 AM

The P0340/Camshaft Recall Nissan Saga/Ordeal

Hey folks...

Haven't posted in a great while, but seeing as how I'm on my 3rd Max, I'd share the current saga, and get some feedback.

Current Max: 2003 SE Titanium, Auto. (God, I miss my 02 6-speed).

Had the car stall a couple of times about 3 weeks ago, and the second time, the SES light illuminated. Took it to 2 different places for an OBD reading. One was Auto Zone, one was a local mechanic who's a neighbor. Both came up with the P0340 code.

Like a good little .org member, I searched and searched on the code, read and researched. Found the Recall R3022 from Nissan (thanks to whomever found that) and located my VIN within the VIN ranges listed in the recall notice.

After taking the Max to 3 different Dealerships in both Dallas and Houston, and an initial call to Nissan North America, all told me that "there were no open 'campaigns' on my vehicle".

The dealers also wanted between $95-150 just to diagnose the code-something that Auto Zone does for free. I was not impressed.

After a couple of phone calls with some gal from Nissan NA-she's the Houston Area customer service manager, or something similar, I've been told that if I go pay the diagnostic fee, Nissan will pay for the replacement of the camshaft positioning sensor.

Their position is that while my VIN does indeed fall within the range of VINs listed, the listed VIN range is simply a "possible" block of cars that "could be affected", and not on a specific VIN list for the recall.

Considering that my car is stalling, has a P0340 code, and has a VIN in that range, I'd say that it's pretty eligible for that recall-and I shouldn't have to pay the diagnostic fee (which is lame anyway).

What do you ya'll think? Yea or nay?

PS....couldn't resist. The gal who is the customer service rep from Nissan NA that I've been talking to is one of those who uses 200 words in a sentence when 20 will do while talking to you. She tends to interject a lot of useless phrases into her sentences, making it a pain to listen up to what she's really saying. She also (I think) mutes me while she's talking, because if I try to say anything, she just keeps blabbing along. Absolutely annoying.

I'm going to see if she really puts me on mute when she calls me back, by saying the dirtiest things I can think of and see if she catches it. Maybe something with farm animals...hmm. Heh.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by hollywood7301
Hey folks...

Haven't posted in a great while, but seeing as how I'm on my 3rd Max, I'd share the current saga, and get some feedback.

Current Max: 2003 SE Titanium, Auto. (God, I miss my 02 6-speed).

Had the car stall a couple of times about 3 weeks ago, and the second time, the SES light illuminated. Took it to 2 different places for an OBD reading. One was Auto Zone, one was a local mechanic who's a neighbor. Both came up with the P0340 code.

Like a good little .org member, I searched and searched on the code, read and researched. Found the Recall R3022 from Nissan (thanks to whomever found that) and located my VIN within the VIN ranges listed in the recall notice.

After taking the Max to 3 different Dealerships in both Dallas and Houston, and an initial call to Nissan North America, all told me that "there were no open 'campaigns' on my vehicle".

The dealers also wanted between $95-150 just to diagnose the code-something that Auto Zone does for free. I was not impressed.

After a couple of phone calls with some gal from Nissan NA-she's the Houston Area customer service manager, or something similar, I've been told that if I go pay the diagnostic fee, Nissan will pay for the replacement of the camshaft positioning sensor.

Their position is that while my VIN does indeed fall within the range of VINs listed, the listed VIN range is simply a "possible" block of cars that "could be affected", and not on a specific VIN list for the recall.

Considering that my car is stalling, has a P0340 code, and has a VIN in that range, I'd say that it's pretty eligible for that recall-and I shouldn't have to pay the diagnostic fee (which is lame anyway).

What do you ya'll think? Yea or nay?

PS....couldn't resist. The gal who is the customer service rep from Nissan NA that I've been talking to is one of those who uses 200 words in a sentence when 20 will do while talking to you. She tends to interject a lot of useless phrases into her sentences, making it a pain to listen up to what she's really saying. She also (I think) mutes me while she's talking, because if I try to say anything, she just keeps blabbing along. Absolutely annoying.

I'm going to see if she really puts me on mute when she calls me back, by saying the dirtiest things I can think of and see if she catches it. Maybe something with farm animals...hmm. Heh.
Why pay for diagnostics when you know what it is now? save that money and DIY.

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...on-sensor.html

http://forums.maxima.org/6833736-post8.html

Last edited by memphisballer; 05-22-2009 at 09:01 AM.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:49 AM

Why DIY (I normally would) when it's part of a recall and Nissan should do the work for free?
Old 05-22-2009, 09:54 AM

well if theres no way you can get rid of that fee, its practically the same thing, you either do it yourself which is pretty easy, or pay for the fee and just let them do it.. it'll only be a few bucks difference.. i think i bought my sensor for 88 bucks at nissan.. i really don't think nissan should be charging you that fee though

lol @ the last part on your post
Old 05-22-2009, 10:01 AM

Of course theyre gonna charge something..It would be too kind of them to charge you nothing.. Id let them do it if diagnostics were closer to $95.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:00 PM

Weird ... Are you sure about VIN range? Could it be that the recall repair has already done on this car? I brought my max to the dealer just to make sure if all recall repairs were done before (no issues and codes), they checked the files and replaced both sensors for free.
Old 05-23-2009, 03:15 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Supposedly, mine were replaced at 43,000 miles under the recall. However, if I give my car more than half throttle before it is fully warmed up, I will feel a hesitation as it accelerates and then until I shut the car off and restart it, my car feels like it is in some sort of limp home mode. No SES light but my code reader shows a pending P0340 code. Someone else mentioned his Dad's 5.5 gen did the same thing and since no one seems to have a solution, he takes care of it like I do. Go easy on the gas until the car is fully warmed up. I have replaced the bank 1 camshaft position sensor and still have the problem.

Supposedly those who've had the stalling problem, a new sensor clears up the issue. Wish it was that easy on mine.

When you talk to the sevice rep again, tell them that if the diagnosis shows a different problem than the camshaft sensor that you are willing to pay the fee but not if the problem is the sensors, which should be included in the recall campaign. Go over her head if you have to.

Last edited by Scottwax; 05-23-2009 at 03:19 PM.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:51 AM

if the part is cheap and the labor is easy, do it yourself man.. if not, i say that they should definitely replace it for free.. your VIN is within the VINs that could "possibly" be affected... well since you're throwing that code, then that means you're DEFINITELY affected! so they need to do the work
Old 08-03-2009, 09:59 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks

Thank you for the P.S. laugh now i have 14 more reply's to make so i can post my "major problem"
Old 08-03-2009, 12:38 PM

Where do i check if my vin # falls in with this recall? Having the same problem.

****nm. http://maxima.theowensfamily.com/tsb/NTB03-124.pdf ...in case anyone needs to check

Last edited by ShIft_uR FacE; 08-03-2009 at 12:49 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:42 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi All, I think I am having a very similar problem. Around 2007, my early 2002 Max manual started to hesitate very suddenly and briefly, and randomly. After a while I got error code P0340 (don't need to go to autozone to get it, you can use the ignition switch/accelerator activation sequence to get the SES light to flash the code, after a few tries).

I took the car to the dealer and they mucked around with it and other recalls (seven trips total to get the recalls done). The hesitation problem went away after they claimed to have replaced all 3 sensors.

One year later, the hesitation problem came back along with P0340. I called the dealer and they had gone out of business the week before! I brought the car to another dealer, and they diagnosed and replaced the P0340 (Bank 1?) sensor for around $300. I asked the dealer to tell me the part number of the removed sensor, so I could check if the part had actually been replaced by the previous dealer. The new dealer could not find any part number in the place specified by the original TSB. So it's possible that the part had been replaced with an new bum part by the original dealer, but there was no way to prove it.

After a lot of arguing with NNA, they paid for the new replacement.

The hesitation problem did not go away , and P0340 is back as well. So I tried a third Bank 1 sensor. It did not fix the problem. Neither did a new aftermarket MAF. The MAF did not have any effect (it supposedly does not require re-flashing the ECU). The hesitation problem does seem to happen much, much more frequently on the second trip of the day, even if the car has been sitting for several hours after the first trip. I'm wondering if there is a heat soak issue because per the TSB the faulty sensors don't work well when hot.

The second dealer wants to replace the ECU. I don't want to do unless as a last resort. I had a few thoughts, but I'm hoping for someone's smarter/wiser input:

1) I tried disconnecting the P0340 sensor, which makes the car hard to start and has less power. I *think* the car still hesitates but it's not so obvious (and safer to drive). I'll try it again this week. Would this indicate that the Bank 1 sensor is not the real problem?

2) I'm thinking of replacing the other sensors to see the ECU is reporting the wrong code. I think it's difficult for software to determine which sensor is actually faulty.

3) I might put a potable oscilloscope and see if the P0340 signal changes at all. I might be able to spot something, because on very rare ocassions the SES light has gone out and then turned back on. Maybe this indicates that the sensor or the sensor connector is intermittent?

4) Turning off the engine, waiting at least 10 seconds, almost always fixes the hesitation problem. This sounds like other people's complaints. Maybe once the ECU gets a faulty signal from the sensor, it gets confused.

5) I think it's possible that the original faulty sensor damaged the ECU with a voltage spike, and now it's showing up.

6) It's a damn software bug, or hardware design flaw that NNA refuses to admit

Any votes on what to try next? I'm planning on just disconnecting the sensor, since that's easiest.

Any votes on what the problem really is? Anyone experience a bad sensor connector?

Thanks All,
Andrew
Old 08-22-2010, 10:27 PM

The recall that was mentioned said "THE CIRCUIT BOARD FOR THE CRANK POSITION SENSOR OR CAM POSITION SENSOR MAY HAVE AN IMPROPER SOLDER JOINT DUE TO SOLDER DEFORMATION". Maybe you might want to try to re-solder them but I don't know if you want to try that.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I think the TSBs also said something about things being worse with heat, which would be consistent with the problems I've had. But this is my fourth sensor. The third and fourth both developed problems after 15 minutes of driving. So I'm not sure that re-soldering would fix the sensors I have (third and fourth), and I'm a klutz. But I did find an aftermarket sensor that I'm about to try, maybe those people know how to solder the sensors they sell.

Today I tried disconnecting only the front bank (not the P0340 sensor). The hesitation and almost stalling issues were horrible (it was really hot out today too). Then I tried only disconnecting the P0340 (firewall side) sensor. The engine had very little power but there was no obvious hesitation.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:57 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Andy-do you also occasionally get a pending P0011 or P0021 code? 90% of the time I have the hesitation, I only get a P0340 code but every once in a while I get the other two, which leads me to believe the actual problem might be related to the IVT solenoids and not the camshaft position sensor. I've already made sure the grounding wires (the ones on top of the timing cover) are secure and well grounded, plus I had my oil system flushed to see if maybe there was some sludge in the oil system causing issues with the IVT solenoids (which appear to be sensitive to sludge, dirt and low oil levels). I talked to a Nissan tech online one night and he says the usual cause is low oil level but that isn't my problem as I am very good about keeping my oil level near the full line.

Still a very random problem and restarting the car fixes it. If it gets worse, I'll look into replacing the IVT solenoids.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Scott, I've only used a code reader on 2-3 occasions, a short time after I had reset the codes using the keyswitch/accelerator. So I don't know what other codes I might be getting. I will keep a closer eye on them. Do you know how long a pending code is available before being erased?

I agree the problem may be something completely different than the P0340 camshaft sensor. I'll check the grounding on my car, and I'm still hoping to get the chance to look at some of the sensor signals to the ECM during hesitation.

I hope you find your problem. I've been driving with the P0340 sensor disconnected and although the car lacks power most of the time, it is much safer not hesitating randomly. I guess I must be in some limp mode.

Andrew
Old 08-29-2010, 09:20 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

My car runs perfectly 99.5% of the time, when it does the odd hesitation then goes into limp home, I pull over, turn off the car, pull and erase the code and restart it. After that it runs fine for another month or two.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:22 AM

yo this a good idea, how do you check if your VIN has some kinda recall???
Old 08-30-2010, 12:59 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
yo this a good idea, how do you check if your VIN has some kinda recall???
The dealer can tell you if you give them your VIN.