5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Locked out of 02 max- actuators?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 09:49 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Locked out of 02 max- actuators?

Hi guys.

Odd issue- I just bought this 02 max about 2 months ago, moving from a 4th gen that I still have and love. Anyway, Monday am, I stopped on the street to drop something in the mail box, left the car running and when I came back, the door had locked on me. It seems that what happened (i tested the theory and verified it) was that when I opened the door to get out of the car, i touched the "lock" next to the handle that you pull to open the door, and it locked, unknown to me.

Now, with my 4th gen, if the key is in the ignition with either front door open and you touch any of the switches to lock the car, every single lock on the car flips open. This is what I expected to happen as I had tested the car for this feature a few weeks back and the locks flipped open. I can only assume something's loose. Where should I start looking? Relays, actuators? Not too sure.

BTW, tried to search already, not getting much help that way.

Last edited by cydrive; 05-28-2009 at 11:56 AM.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:48 AM

I don't know the answer, but I'm curious if you ran out of gas before you got back into the car...
Old 05-28-2009, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by MadMax07SL
I don't know the answer, but I'm curious if you ran out of gas before you got back into the car...
Ha ha. That might have been an issue if I hadnt filled up a few days before. It was an hour before I got back in
Old 05-28-2009, 12:31 PM

I had the same problem about 2 yrs ago. My car would just lock for no apparent reason. It happened twice, once while I was rotating my tires in my garage and the next time I had the hood up and was changing the oil. I posted a question here and of course got alot of smarta** replies, here are the top 2; read your manual, the doors lock automatically 5 mins after you park and leave the car if you didn't lock your doors. I never did find out why it did it but its been a while since it last happened so I just forgot about it.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Maxgig
I had the same problem about 2 yrs ago. My car would just lock for no apparent reason. It happened twice, once while I was rotating my tires in my garage and the next time I had the hood up and was changing the oil. I posted a question here and of course got alot of smarta** replies, here are the top 2; read your manual, the doors lock automatically 5 mins after you park and leave the car if you didn't lock your doors. I never did find out why it did it but its been a while since it last happened so I just forgot about it.
ha ha. nice. I will let you know what i find out, if I ever do. But I think I actually touched the lock so it wasnt really an automatic thing and this was barely 30 seconds- i literally jumped out, put the letter in the box and came back to that.

BTW: Maxgig, your avatar is WAAY distracting! Had to refocus before I started typing
Old 05-28-2009, 05:51 PM

ok. i just verified one other thing- if you hit the lock switch on either front door (the one by the window switches), with the car running, and one of the doors open, it DOES flip all the door locks open. However, if you hit the lock - the one next to the handle that you pull to open the door, it just locks and doesn't flip the locks open. So I've either got something wrong or Nissan dropped this feature.

I'm going to go through the FSM to see if I can find out anything else...keep everyone updated....still post if you know something about the subject.