5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Put in New PIAA Fog's and Blew Fuse, Help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2001, 07:26 PM
Molpus

Put in New PIAA Fog's and Blew Fuse, Help!

Ok, I need some assistance from some of you whom understand about the foglights. I put in some new PIAA Superplasma H3's today. On the box it says 55W-85W. I went step by step per some instructions that I had gotten from the site. I was driving for about 30 minutes and then stepped out of the car for a few. When I got back in the car and started it.......no fog's! I looked at the fuse box and noticed that it was busted. Can you tell me what might have caused this? I was under the impression the lights are the correct wattage. Please advise. Thanks

Old 11-23-2001, 09:38 PM

i dont think it may be the lights affecting the fuse, did you try putting in another fuse to see if that one blows out too? i know one time a fuse kept blowing out on me i just put a higher wattage fuse, in example if its a 15 put a 20 instead
Old 11-23-2001, 10:13 PM
Molpus

Originally posted by Dario
i dont think it may be the lights affecting the fuse, did you try putting in another fuse to see if that one blows out too? i know one time a fuse kept blowing out on me i just put a higher wattage fuse, in example if its a 15 put a 20 instead
Hmmm, well I guess I will try to put another fuse in it to see what happens. I guess it is kinda wierd that it happened just after I put in the new bulbs. I will try to pick up some higher wattage fuse to see what happens as well. I just don't what it to fry my wires in the car and end up costing me a bunch of $$$.

Old 11-23-2001, 10:47 PM

Re: Put in New PIAA Fog's and Blew Fuse, Help!

Originally posted by Molpus
Ok, I need some assistance from some of you whom understand about the foglights. I put in some new PIAA Superplasma H3's today. On the box it says 55W-85W. I went step by step per some instructions that I had gotten from the site. I was driving for about 30 minutes and then stepped out of the car for a few. When I got back in the car and started it.......no fog's! I looked at the fuse box and noticed that it was busted. Can you tell me what might have caused this? I was under the impression the lights are the correct wattage. Please advise. Thanks
I would double-check that the bulbs were installed correctly & that no wires are touching things they shouldn't, etc. Then try another fuse. I would NOT put in a higher amperage fuse, since the original fuse should suffice assuming there's nothing wrong somewhere. Yes, the bulb wattage should be fine. Your H3 foglights are 55W and the PIAA bulb draws 55W and puts out 85W worth of light. If the fuse keeps blowing and you've never had a problem before you installed the PIAAs then maybe you should try to exchange them for 2 new bulbs.

Tony
Old 11-23-2001, 10:56 PM
Molpus

Re: Re: Put in New PIAA Fog's and Blew Fuse, Help!

Originally posted by Tony Fernandes

I would double-check that the bulbs were installed correctly & that no wires are touching things they shouldn't, etc. Then try another fuse. I would NOT put in a higher amperage fuse, since the original fuse should suffice assuming there's nothing wrong somewhere. Yes, the bulb wattage should be fine. Your H3 foglights are 55W and the PIAA bulb draws 55W and puts out 85W worth of light. If the fuse keeps blowing and you've never had a problem before you installed the PIAAs then maybe you should try to exchange them for 2 new bulbs.

Tony
Thanks Tony....

I am going to go back over my work tomorrow and just double check everything. I am almost certain that I did everything correctly. I believe that it might just be the bulbs. I am going to try and have them replaced and go from there. Hopefully the people here in the Dallas area will not give me any problems on the exchange.

Old 10-19-2002, 08:33 AM

Blown Fuse

I just put in a set of PIAA xtreeme white 55watt fog light bulbs as well and have the same exact problem. Looked good for 30min then blown fuse. Now each new fuse I try from 15-20-25 instantlly blows the second I turn the fogs on! I re-checked the connections and everythings seems ok. Any clues???
Old 10-19-2002, 09:08 AM

Well if the fuse was blown then the fogs wouldn't work when even switching to the other bulbs so that wasn't the problem. Someone has to have an answer...I've done enough searching....
Old 10-19-2002, 10:58 AM

Originally posted by Wasim521
I don't know if I blew a fuse or not b/c I honestly didn't check, but one of my PIAA Xtreme white 55W H3's kept going out. I replaced it with the 35 watt version and haven't had any problems since. It may not be as bright as the other one, but at least it matches the headlights, and it's better than stock.
i know the 35 watt isn't as bright as 55w, but is it just as white/blue in color?
Old 10-19-2002, 11:15 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

If you are blowing the fuses immediatly now when fogs are turned on the you must have a short, problably at the bulbs, a direct short should be easy to find, swap back to other bulbs and see what happens, look close at contacts and socket for bulbs. I don't know what yours look like exactly but for a fuse to blow immediatly it has to be a direct short.
Old 10-19-2002, 12:11 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

If you put the original bulbs back in and replace the same amp fuse, does the fuse still blow?
Old 10-19-2002, 03:18 PM

Well, I replaced the fuse and re-checked the lights to make sure nothing was touching the connection. There was a tiny part of the connection exposed, whichI previously assumed was fine since it was plastic coated. Turns out electrical taping like a mad man around this part did the trick, no more blown fuses.