5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Racingline Battery Tie Down

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 07:23 AM

Racingline Battery Tie Down

Racingline Performance very graciously sent me one of their battery tie-down bars in appreciation for patience on my new FSTB, and for resolving fitment issues without making a fuss. I'm extremely content with the FSTB, and fairly happy with Racingline's service.

Now I wouldn't normally purchase a pretty battery tie-down... not really into engine bling anymore. However, it was free, and it's a nice looking piece of metal.

There's a small issue with the tie-down connectors... one is about an inch shorter than the other, by design. No big deal -- I'll find or buy one to fit.

But the real issue I have is the design. It's a flat piece of aluminum, vs. the factory tie-down which wraps around the top edge of the battery.

So my question to the forum: would you use this thing? Is it safe?

Old 06-02-2009, 08:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rochester
But the real issue I have is the design. It's a flat piece of aluminum, vs. the factory tie-down which wraps around the top edge of the battery.

So my question to the forum: would you use this thing? Is it safe?
Snug it down. If the battery shifts, it won't shift enough to cause any issues.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:08 AM
Turbo'd Saab

I autox'd with a battery tie down like that. Plus Racingline's Stuff is always top quality.

your good to go!
Old 06-02-2009, 09:01 AM
大陆弟弟

I bought new longer connectors and have been using that tie down for a year now with no problem.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:52 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

WTF??? I had fitment issues with their FSTB and resolved them very patiently.....
and I didnt get a free battery tie down!!! This is BullS***!!!

What kind of fitment issues did you have? My end brackets wouldnt fit over the top of the strut mount housing properly so I had to grind down a piece of the bracket. Also, the bar pressed against the hood enough to bind up the windshield washer hose that goes to the nozzle.

As for the tie down, the edge of the stock tie down that bends over the edge of the battery doesnt really provide and lateral support. When you tighten it down, the battery is held in place by friction. As long as you can tighten it you will be all set.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by kgallerie
WTF??? I had fitment issues with their FSTB and resolved them very patiently.....
and I didnt get a free battery tie down!!! This is BullS***!!!
I'm guessing you're being humorous. It's hard to tell. Let's go with that.

What kind of fitment issues did you have? My end brackets wouldnt fit over the top of the strut mount housing properly so I had to grind down a piece of the bracket.
Exactly. It was kind of a pain, but hardly a deal-breaker. Most mods end up requiring some kind of tweak.

As for the tie down, the edge of the stock tie down that bends over the edge of the battery doesnt really provide and lateral support. When you tighten it down, the battery is held in place by friction. As long as you can tighten it you will be all set.
Good advice. Thanks.

In fact, thanks everyone so far for the comments. I'm going to buy a couple of new tie-down rods to fit, afix the tie-down bar and see how it goes.

Love this forum.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by n3985
I bought new longer connectors and have been using that tie down for a year now with no problem.
+1 I bought a set of longer rods from Advance Auto for like $5 and used my Dremel to cut off the excess. I've been using mine now with no problems for over 6 months. Although I did pay them $30 bucks for it. I'm happy with it.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:54 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'm guessing you're being humorous. It's hard to tell. Let's go with that.
Yeah......but the free battery tie-down would have been pretty sweet.

Exactly. It was kind of a pain, but hardly a deal-breaker. Most mods end up requiring some kind of tweak.
I did take mine off because of the washer fluid pinching. My intent was to put it back on when I had some time to move the hose, but i actually liked the way the car handled better with out it so I left it off.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:37 PM

In the end...

...I bought some tie-down pins at Advanced Auto, and a couple of lock-nuts at the hardware store. Then I cut the front pin down to fit with irrational fear of poking a hole through my hood.

Anyway, it's very snug. My concerns were baseless. That, and the lock-nuts are not going to come off.

I like it... looks good. Here's a picture:

Old 06-05-2009, 08:35 AM

Mine is bungied in... :x
Old 06-06-2009, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mattlikespeoples
Mine is bungied in... :x
My Optima Blue top is being held down by the stock tie bar..........................................

plus a random small bible.. :
Old 02-17-2010, 05:17 AM

No on-topic reason to bump my old thread here, except that the Racingline battery tie-down is nicely in the picture. My Canadian friend, Ghost_54, sent me this little chrome plastic NISSAN emblem the other day. Honestly, it's more dime-store than OEM quality, but I like it. There's a little splash of red on it to match the positive terminal cap and Apexi filter.

Anyway, it's cute, so I thought it would look good on the battery. (pic)

By the way, that actually is an OEM battery, bought from my Nissan dealership last Fall when the original finally died after 7 years. Nissan re-brands Interstate batteries for sale at their dealerships. This one is all black, whereas the original used a black cover.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:08 AM

Nice really nice.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:09 AM

I am missing my battery tie down. Where can I get a set? The battery's held down by tie wraps...LOL!

Nowhere close to the awesome tie downs above!
Old 02-17-2010, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Nice really nice.
Originally Posted by mandyfig
I am missing my battery tie down. Where can I get a set? The battery's held down by tie wraps...LOL!

Nowhere close to the awesome tie downs above!
Thanks, mandyfig. You could just go to Advanced Auto and buy a universal fit tie-down. Or get this from RacineLine:

http://racinglineperformance.com/sho...&idcategory=12

You'll still have to buy the connector posts separately at the auto store... only a few dollars.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:48 PM

I have never needed a bat tie down and did not even realize that they can be an isle item at the local auto store. But the freeking tie down was missing when I bought the MAX.

I will check out the nearest BM store.

I have more crap to worry about in the engine bay than a nice tie down, but they sure look spiffy!