5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

I found something REALLY cool on Adman's car: Serious!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2001, 05:38 PM

I found something REALLY cool on Adman's car: Serious!

So, today at the autocross, I was checking out ADMAN's 2000 SE (Very clean might i add) and noticed something i never knew I had on my Maxima...Or just didn't know i had it!

On the combination switch (turn signal stalk), on the signal stalk, there's the switch for the headlamps on, parking lamps on, off, and this thing "Auto"! Holy crap this thing is cool!

If you leave in in the "auto" position, your headlamps AUTOMATICALLY turn on if it gets dark enough!! And it even turns off when the car is shut off and the door is opened!!!!

I think this is far more cool than the extra armrest compartment.
Old 11-24-2001, 05:40 PM

oh, and ADMAN got a beating.

44.051 (my fastest)
50.xxx (his fastest)

I was battling VTEC problems all day. He was battling the full fuel tank and nimbleness of his chromie-equipped Maxima

He got beat by an automatic del slo too!
Old 11-24-2001, 05:47 PM

Nice to see people noticing what is on thier (more or less) car! Though I would give up the auto lights to get rid of the 'idiot lights'. (i.e. "you now have no oil left")

I find that I hit the switch (rotating switch) when using the high's, especially when being panic-ed into using in. (i.e some dumbass **** who doesn't see me comming up behind her!)

But I agree with you, that upper center armrest is nearly as useless as **** on a bull. I do use it for my phone analog module and car charger but I have to lay everything out just right for it to close.
Old 11-24-2001, 06:14 PM

Re: I found something REALLY cool on Adman's car: Serious!

Originally posted by SCCA Solo2
So, today at the autocross, I was checking out ADMAN's 2000 SE (Very clean might i add) and noticed something i never knew I had on my Maxima...Or just didn't know i had it!

On the combination switch (turn signal stalk), on the signal stalk, there's the switch for the headlamps on, parking lamps on, off, and this thing "Auto"! Holy crap this thing is cool!

If you leave in in the "auto" position, your headlamps AUTOMATICALLY turn on if it gets dark enough!! And it even turns off when the car is shut off and the door is opened!!!!

I think this is far more cool than the extra armrest compartment.
If you spent lots of money like most of us have on PIAA's, dont use the AUTO switch. As I have found out from experience, they will blow your lights. They cause a surge. Best to just turn them on after the car is started when needed and turn them off before you turn off your car as you park.
Old 11-24-2001, 09:00 PM

hmmm maybe thats y my bulbs go out so soon, thanks for the info
Old 11-24-2001, 09:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: I found something REALLY cool on Adman's car: Serious!

Originally posted by Maxima-Ness

If you spent lots of money like most of us have on PIAA's, dont use the AUTO switch. As I have found out from experience, they will blow your lights. They cause a surge. Best to just turn them on after the car is started when needed and turn them off before you turn off your car as you park.
Any proof behind this? Maybe a volt meter was used?
Old 11-24-2001, 11:08 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

regardless..

AUTO really doesn't work all that well. I tried to leave mine on auto. If I turned the car on in the shade (during the day), they would default to ON and turn off a few mins later.. and they wouldnt come on until pretty late dusk. But that coming on with the car if its in the shade wasnt good for my HIDs so I dont use it.
Old 11-24-2001, 11:14 PM

Re: regardless..

Originally posted by TimW
AUTO really doesn't work all that well. I tried to leave mine on auto. If I turned the car on in the shade (during the day), they would default to ON and turn off a few mins later.. and they wouldnt come on until pretty late dusk. But that coming on with the car if its in the shade wasnt good for my HIDs so I dont use it.
I agree, i rarely drive during that transition from light to dark long enough for it to matter but when i do i find myself turning the lights on myself because they dont turn on soon enough. i love the feature because i drive alot at night and car goes lights go and car goes off etc...

Adam
Old 11-25-2001, 01:38 AM

Re: I found something REALLY cool on Adman's car: Serious!

What the heck are you talking about???

I thought the AUTO setting was for AUTOMAGIC.
That way your car would shift gears for you.

Now I'm confused...

ADMAN
Old 11-25-2001, 01:48 AM

Re: Re: I found something REALLY cool on Adman's car: Serious!

Originally posted by Maxima-Ness

I wish to disagree with you on that one. I installed PIAA's on my 5th. gen, SuperWhite to be exact, and I leave it on auto all the time and I have had no problems at all with my lights blowing out. I put them in about 6 months ago and their still good. You may have had other problems unless of course you used yours longer than I have.

Shadou
Old 11-25-2001, 01:51 AM

Re: regardless..

Originally posted by TimW
I'm surprised. I think that feature is one of the greatest things to have (maybe not with HIDs) and if I ever buy another car in the future, the auto switch is a must. I never have to remember to turn on or turn off my lights. I have also found that mine are really sensitive. If I drive in a tunnel or right at dusk, they automatically come on. Maybe it varies from car to car.

Shadou
Old 11-25-2001, 09:12 AM

Re: Re: Re: I found something REALLY cool on Adman's car: Serious!

Originally posted by shadou

I wish to disagree with you on that one. I installed PIAA's on my 5th. gen, SuperWhite to be exact, and I leave it on auto all the time and I have had no problems at all with my lights blowing out. I put them in about 6 months ago and their still good. You may have had other problems unless of course you used yours longer than I have.

Shadou
ask Kev.

Also, look on the packaging. The warranty says its not covered if there is a power surge that blows the lights, i.e. turning the key to start your car while your lights are on; just as an example