5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Blower Motor

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 02:20 PM

Blower Motor

My blower motor has failed, my car is an 03 se, will a blower motor from an 01 work fine?
Old 06-24-2009, 04:26 PM

are you talking about the HVAC fan motor?
Old 06-24-2009, 07:35 PM

Do you have the digital read out display on your climate control? did your blower motor work and then just suddenly on the next time you started the car, you have no blower motor? This is what happened to mine and I also thought my blower motor was finished, but this was not the case. The blower motor plugs into a resistor and it was my resistor that needed to be replaced. I had picked up one from my local Nissan dealer pluged in the blower and away it went. There are two types of resistors one is for the old fashion slide control temp and the other is for the digital read out display such as what I have. There is a built in fuse on the resistor board which is what has probably blown. There is quit a difference in price on the two resistors the slide control climate control system this resistor sells for 51.00 (remember this price is in Canadian dollars) and the digital display climate control system this resistor sells for 151.00 Canadian ... a very expensive resistor indeed but at least mine wasn't a blown blower motor which is a great deal more.

The resistor is held in by just two screws and is located just below the blower motor and can be removed and unpluged without having to take out the glove box and blower motor, I took mine all apart just to make sure things were nice and clean, but if your blower worked fine and then suddenly just quit I would suspect that your resistor has gone. The guy at my parts counter says they do replace quit a few every year so it sounds like a common problem as the car ages.

Good luck I hope you find it is just the resistor and not the blower motor.

The part number for the resistor for the digital read out claimate control system is ... 27761-2Y000 Module ASSY

Last edited by Ghost_54; 06-24-2009 at 07:42 PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:27 AM

The climate control was not the digital readout type. The fan started whirring loud and screeched and eventually came to a halt.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by tuesdaysgone
The climate control was not the digital readout type. The fan started whirring loud and screeched and eventually came to a halt.

Screeching is never a good sign!! Just had a screech on a pulley bearing on a belt...
Old 06-30-2009, 10:01 AM

So what do people think, replace the resistor or fan first?
Old 06-30-2009, 09:06 PM

From what I've read, they are pretty interchangeable, and can be found on ebay for about $50 shipped.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-N...#ht_500wt_1203
Old 07-05-2009, 08:13 PM

I would most likely suspect it is your motor, as I said in my first reply my system worked fine in the morning drive to work, no noise whats so ever and then at the end of the work day when I started the car my blower was not functioning at all. My first thoughts were to replace the motor until I read a thread here where another member purchased a new blower motor and still had no blower action which lead me to try replacing my resistor first and my system fired right up. Given the fact your blower motor gave you an indication it was under stress I would go with replacing it.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:30 AM

if you've not already done so, take a look at the fan. On mine, it turned out a mouse built a nest in the fan with insulation from my garage. I removed it and all was well. Just make sure you do not disconnect the yellow cable for the airbag
Old 02-22-2012, 07:02 AM

My blower has stopped working. So far I have:

- Checked the two 15A fuses under my hood--they look good
- Changed out the resistor just to be safe--blower didn't work afterward
- Pulled out the motor and hooked it up to a battery--blower itself still works

Tonight I am going to pick up a relay from the parts store to give that a try. Is there anything else that I am missing?

Also, there is a blue wire and white wire that the motor was connected to--do any of you know which color would correspond to negative/positive. Stupidly, I didn't keep track of it when I pulled the motor off.

Thanks for any and all advice.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:35 AM

2003 GLE - with Auto Climate Control

Okay, here's my problem - blower motor has stopped working - replaced it a few months ago. I went to check the TWO fuses under the hood and there is only ONE, I checked the SM and it shows TWO 15A fuses as well. Should I put the second fuse in or is there a reason that there is only one?

Also where is the fan relay located?

Thanks,

PJ
Old 03-11-2012, 10:14 AM

OKay tested the blower motor relay - have to remove glovebox and it's the brown relay under the dash. Swapped it out with one of the ones of the headlight relay still no go, will try the Blower Motor resistor - NAPA can get me one tomorrow.

Still confused by the lack of a second 15A fuse where there should be one. Also where there isn't supposed to be a fuse at all (according to the fuse box schematic) I have a 10A fuse.

Anybody have any ideas about the missing fuse?

Thanks,

PJ
Old 03-14-2012, 06:01 AM

Replaced the resistor - fan started working again. But the fun doesn't stop there - now when I have the setting on Floor and Defrost, I only get the air blowing on the floor. Yet when I hit the Front Defrost button it blows on the windshield as it should. Auto Climate control - 2003 GLE.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:36 AM

Ran the full HVAC diagnostic - went through the 4x series of tests and the airflow was going through the proper series of vents. It's only when I'm using the HVAC while I'm driving that the Def vent doesn't work when I have it on Def/Floor.

Anybody have any ideas?
Old 07-06-2012, 06:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2003 maxima blower only at highest speed

My maxima's blower works only on speed 4 (highest). There is no auto climate control. My first post to this forum. I dared to change blower motor resistor twice . Both blew up within 2-3 days. Motor is back to highest speed and dealership wants to spend at least 2-3 hrs to find out what's wrong with it, which sounds ridiculous and loot.

Should I change motor? why? Help me understand and please share your expertise and experience.

Thank you
Old 07-19-2012, 07:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

You can check out many websites to get a new blower motor. Make sure that you spend the few extra dollars to get the "wheel" already installed. Here is a link to one that is reasonably priced :http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/search/?N=0&Nr=AND(wpn_tl_name:Engine+%26+Drivetrain,wpn_ cat_name:Heating%5C%2C+Air+Conditioning+%26+Compon ents,wpn_scat_name:Blower+%26+Components[/URL])