5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

A.C gurus please step in

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 11:26 AM

A.C gurus please step in

ight this A.C problem is gettin on m nerves and im not sure if the shops im goin to is giving me the full run down...

ight this is wat have been done so far...

ac compressor changed
ac condensor changed
actauter valve changed
system evacuated and recharged..

now the dood who changed the valve said that the a.c fan was not kicking on and that the motor was bad so i should change it asap. he also said the pressure was a lil high.and the fuse kept on popping, so i was gonna wait till mon to order one from autozone(fuse and fan).. i made a road trip to l.a which was 3 hours away from where i was staying and on the way there the temp gauge started goin up so i turned off the a.c so it temp gauge would go bak down while driving through the mountains.i turned it bak on and eveyrthing was working fine untill later on in the day. while in l.a i drove around wit the a.c on and the temp gauge went up bout once or twice and i turned it off so it would go bak down... later on that day b4 i left there was a wierd sound comming from behind the dashboard wheneva the a.c was turned on.. i didnt pay it anymind for a lil bit but then it started to concern me when my idle would stay pretty high when i put it into nuetral (this is with the a.c on) when i turned the a.c off the idle dropped back down to normal.. so i left the a.c off for majority of the ride back home, i turned it on to see if the sound was still there and now the a.c was blowing hot air... i was like wtf!!! so i check the compressor and now that ****** f isnt turning on and once again im bak at sqaure one.. im not sure in wat direction to go because im not sure if the compressor is bad or if the system is not holding pressure, does anyone have any recomandations>?/ any advise would be helpfull thanks
Old 06-28-2009, 12:29 PM

I would check the pressure in the system. My dad's SE had a similar problem... We charged up the line and later on that day it was hot again. Ended up changing the Evap something or another for like $1100. I was like geezus. anyways, it fixed the issue and it cost a pretty penny.

In the end, it was a leak in the system and was fixed by the dealer for $1100. Sorry if i didnt help but thats our story.

There HAS to be a leak somewhere.

Good luck. I would take to dealer and see what they say. (I know, I know, but in this case, I would have then do a look over)
Old 06-28-2009, 01:11 PM

seems mine had to much air in the system, quick drain and fill solved it, could be the expansion valve or ambiant temp sensor.
Old 06-28-2009, 03:02 PM

Did they change the drier?
If he said the pressure was high it sounds like there was a block in the system. Probably in the drier if they didn't change it. The pressure can also run high if the fan doesn't come on. If the pressure gets too high it can blow a line and loose all the refrigerant.

I'm sure the compressor is fine. When the system looses pressure it keeps the compressor from coming on so it doesn't burn up.

Most of my AC knowledge is from older cars and not Maximas but it's all the same principal. There may be additional safeguards built in to the Maxima.

Check to see if there's pressure in the system. Find the valves and give one a poke to see if there's pressure. It works just like a tire valve. If there's no pressure you lost a line somewhere.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Derrick2k2SE
Did they change the drier?
If he said the pressure was high it sounds like there was a block in the system. Probably in the drier if they didn't change it. The pressure can also run high if the fan doesn't come on. If the pressure gets too high it can blow a line and loose all the refrigerant.

I'm sure the compressor is fine. When the system looses pressure it keeps the compressor from coming on so it doesn't burn up.

Most of my AC knowledge is from older cars and not Maximas but it's all the same principal. There may be additional safeguards built in to the Maxima.

Check to see if there's pressure in the system. Find the valves and give one a poke to see if there's pressure. It works just like a tire valve. If there's no pressure you lost a line somewhere.

ight i checked the valve and there is no pressure, how can i find the line..??
Old 06-30-2009, 08:05 AM

Inspect all the lines and look for an oily substance. You probably lost one under the dash so look for oil dripping down there.

If the shop put dye in the system they should be able to find it with a UV light. The problem is, if it's under the dash it can be really hard to reach. They might have to remove the dash to get to it.

This is going to be something you need to take back to the shop to repair properly. Once they fix the line they still need to figure out why the pressure is so high. I'd go ahead and replace the fan like you were planning since that's probably part of The problem. They won't be able to properly test the system pressure without the fan.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:16 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Did you get that fan replaced before you started using the A/C? If not, you may have burnt out the compressor because of the lack of cooling by the condensor. The higher system pressures because of that could have caused a seal to fail as well, check the R134 charge. Chack the system for leaks, get that fan replaced, evacuate and recharge correctly.