5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

How can you make sure the a/c is cold as possible?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 12:26 AM

How can you make sure the a/c is cold as possible?

The weather recently has been consistently over 100F for the past couple weeks here in central Texas and it has me wondering, how cold should the a/c be? How can I be sure it's blowing the coldest air possible?

I went to AutoZone earlier today to use a recharge kit and after some help with an AutoZone employee we got the a/c recharged. I'm not sure if it's my imagination but the system didn't seem to be any colder after driving around.

I have some long highway trips planned here in Texas so it would be nice to have the a/c blowing cold no matter how hot it is outside. The car in question is a 2000SE. The radiator was recently replaced so other than that everything seems to be fine. Also the compressor as far as I know is the original compressor since the car was purchased in 2007.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:42 AM

you only need to recharge if there is a leak. if there is a leak, the air won't stay cold forever. Better get that leak fixed.

but the cold air should be around 40-50 degrees regardless out outdoor temperature.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:35 AM

I'm in Texas also and it takes my car about 20 minutes to begin to get comfortable after starting it up when it sits in the sun. According to the fsm section HA page 173, the air blowing out of the center dash vent should be between 64 and 77 degrees when the outside air is 95 degrees. The chart shows that the higher the humidity, the higher the temp of the cool air.

There are conditions where the evaporator core will freeze up from condensation and reduce/prevent cooling by reducing the airflow throught the evaporator core. One of them is putting too much refrigerant in the compressor. Maybe you should consider taking the car to some a/c service place that has a $29 check-the-a/c special and see what they say.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:16 AM

Having too much refrigerant will keep the system from being as cool as it can. If it's been overcharged in the past it won't work right till refrigerant is pulled out. Adding more wont help.

Like DennisMik said. Have it checked out by a pro with the right equipment.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:51 AM
Demodded and Forgotten

This is what I would do if I were you:
1. Invest in a $5.00 thermometer to put in your vent. You can pick one up at your local auto parts or pool store.
2. In a shaded place, stick it in the middle vent. The a/c should be on full blast and all the windows rolled up. Keep the RPM at about 2 grand. Wait about 5 minutes or so.
3. If the temp is around 45 or so, then you're good to go. If not, then it could get colder.

Try this 1st before you waste your time going to shop.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by rroderiques77
This is what I would do if I were you:
1. Invest in a $5.00 thermometer to put in your vent. You can pick one up at your local auto parts or pool store.
2. In a shaded place, stick it in the middle vent. The a/c should be on full blast and all the windows rolled up. Keep the RPM at about 2 grand. Wait about 5 minutes or so.
3. If the temp is around 45 or so, then you're good to go. If not, then it could get colder.

Try this 1st before you waste your time going to shop.

Depending on the ambient temperature and humidity, this is just a rule of thumb, but you can get the temps into the 30's when charged properly. No substitute for gauges and doing it properly.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:48 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

keeping the condenser clean and free of bugs help...also fix any bent fins.

like others mentioned...overcharge is not good either.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:17 PM

Thanks a lot for the tips. I'd be interested in getting that thermometer just for future references. If all else fails, I'll take it to a mechanic to look at the A/C. Cold a/c can only be a good thing here in this heat.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:27 PM

mines been getting bad lately, here i had to much air in the system, dont know how that happens but thats what the garage said.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Had the same problem occasionally when my car was new. Found I had to crank the thermostat down to 60 degrees and override the fan by punching it up full, after about 5 minutes my teeth chattered. Worth a try, anyway. Good luck.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:13 PM

I just turn mine on and off A few times and then it kicks in hard...getting old
Old 07-08-2009, 10:54 AM

The last two posts are what I want to happen with my car....lol. I bought a thermometer today from O'Reillys and after 5 minutes it was registering 55F through the center vent. In my opinion that ain't cold enough.

Originally Posted by db302
Had the same problem occasionally when my car was new. Found I had to crank the thermostat down to 60 degrees and override the fan by punching it up full, after about 5 minutes my teeth chattered. Worth a try, anyway. Good luck.

How did you override the fan like that? As for the thermostat, I kinda miss the slider control on the old Maxima I used to have. What if I want the car to be colder than 60 degrees inside?

Last edited by FM 1970; 07-08-2009 at 02:22 PM. Reason: grammar....
Old 07-08-2009, 12:18 PM
Demodded and Forgotten

Originally Posted by FM 1970
The last two posts are what I want to happen with my car....lol. I bought a thermometer today from O'Reillys and after 5 minutes it was registering 55F through the center vent. In my opinion that's ain't cold enough.
It's not
Old 07-08-2009, 05:18 PM

It's not
Well it indeed wasn't cold enough. I took it to a mechanic and he said there was too much coolant in the system. He vacuumed some out and did a temperature reading with his laser thermometer and said it came out to around 38F.

Obviously it felt much colder and even with being 106F outside I forgot how hot it was. The thermometer I bought seems like a piece of crap because it was reporting 50F and even the mechanic noted the discrepancy between my thermometer and his laser thermometer.

Anyway, the guy only charged me $37.50 so I'm a happy customer.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:57 PM

Well it indeed wasn't cold enough. I took it to a mechanic and he said there was too much coolant in the system. He vacuumed some out and did a temperature reading with his laser thermometer and said it came out to around 38F.

Obviously it felt much colder and even with being 106F outside I forgot how hot it was. The thermometer I bought seems like a piece of crap because it was reporting 50F and even the mechanic noted the discrepancy between my thermometer and his laser thermometer.

coolant as in anti freeze ?? or freon,,,,,overcharging the system tends to raise the pressure on the high discharge side of the compressor ,,overworking the compressor produces more heat on the condensor,,and the air coming out of the vents will not be as cool..normal low side charging pressure for 134 freon is 35 pounds with the outside temperature at 85 degrees,,
Old 07-09-2009, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by maxipower
coolant as in anti freeze ?? or freon,,,,,overcharging the system tends to raise the pressure on the high discharge side of the compressor ,,overworking the compressor produces more heat on the condensor,,and the air coming out of the vents will not be as cool..normal low side charging pressure for 134 freon is 35 pounds with the outside temperature at 85 degrees,,

No coolant as in R134a/freon. Thanks for that information, that's good to know. The more = better doesn't seem to apply to the air conditioner.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:58 AM
Demodded and Forgotten

What was the temperature before the repairs with his "laser"? I bet you yours was not that far off.
And how did your system end up overcharged?

Nevermind. I just read your initial post again. This always kills me!!! Like I tell all my customers: "Do not have your car's a/c charged with those stupid cans of freon by the auto parts people. Take it to a professional. You must always evac the entire system before discharging freon in it."

Last edited by rroderiques77; 07-09-2009 at 08:02 AM.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:01 PM

What was the temperature before the repairs with his "laser"? I bet you yours was not that far off.
And how did your system end up overcharged?

Nevermind. I just read your initial post again. This always kills me!!! Like I tell all my customers: "Do not have your car's a/c charged with those stupid cans of freon by the auto parts people. Take it to a professional. You must always evac the entire system before discharging freon in it."
I never got the reading before the repair but before that the a/c was just teasing me with cool air and now it's much cooler.

I was wondering whether or not putting some pipe insulation around the pipe near the low pressure valve would provide cooler air to the interior of the car. When I touch it it's really cold but I wonder how much "coldness" is dissipated into the heat of the engine compartment. Would covering that up do any good or is it best just to leave it alone?

Picture for reference(picture stolen from another thread ):
Old 07-10-2009, 06:58 AM
Demodded and Forgotten

I never got the reading before the repair but before that the a/c was just teasing me with cool air and now it's much cooler.

I was wondering whether or not putting some pipe insulation around the pipe near the low pressure valve would provide cooler air to the interior of the car. When I touch it it's really cold but I wonder how much "coldness" is dissipated into the heat of the engine compartment. Would covering that up do any good or is it best just to leave it alone?

Picture for reference(picture stolen from another thread ):
No. I don't believe that would make much of a difference. Find out how cold your vents are blowing and go from there.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:49 AM

The last two posts are what I want to happen with my car....lol. I bought a thermometer today from O'Reillys and after 5 minutes it was registering 55F through the center vent. In my opinion that ain't cold enough.

How did you override the fan like that? As for the thermostat, I kinda miss the slider control on the old Maxima I used to have. What if I want the car to be colder than 60 degrees inside?
60F doenst mean its gonna stop when it reaches 60, it would go below 60
like it would go above 90F when you set it to 90.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:51 AM

if there is no leak, you better just leave it along.