5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

CD player issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 11:54 AM

CD player issues

Does anyone else have problems with the stock CD head unit?

Sometimes mine will not spit the CD out far enough for me to remove it. I have to try, and try again multiple times before it gets it out far enough and sometimes it's just barely out enough. Other times, it spits it out just fine. Same CD, different CD, doesn't matter.

Also I can put in a brand new CD and it wont play it. Says CD Error, attempt to eject the CD and the above happens sometimes or it just comes right out, reinsert it and sometimes it works, sometimes I have to repeat the process until it plays just fine.

I'm wondering if the cause of my problems is from the condensation that the center AC vents cause when I leave the AC running on full blast. I've noticed that sometimes there is quiet a lot of water build up around it, I can only imagine that it's probably worse on the inside.

As far as the rest of the radio is concerned, it works flawlessly. Only the CD player gives me trouble.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:27 PM

Do you have the bose 6 cd changer??
I had one of those and it crapped out on me, from what I understand they are victim to a number of inherent problems.

Solution: buy a new cd player and have it installed professionally
Old 07-09-2009, 12:32 PM

there can't be condensation because the AC removes water moisture from the air.

are you using CD-Rs? because the manual says not to use them and those might cause eject problems.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:37 PM

Not a CD changer, just the regular in-dash cd player.

Originally Posted by Col Ronson
there can't be condensation because the AC removes water moisture from the air.

are you using CD-Rs? because the manual says not to use them and those might cause eject problems.
I can clearly see condensation on the center vent. It's rather hard to not see it.

Yes, I do have CD-Rs that I do use, I also use "real" CDs. Really doubt it's a "CD-R" issue, especially since it has the same problem without them. Strikes me as kind of odd that the manual would say that, maybe a pathetic attempt at preventing people from burning CDs or do CD-Rs have different dimensions (thicker/thinner maybe?) than the CD you'd buy

I'm looking to replacing the CD player with an aftermarket unit, but I want it to look factory. Don't really want there to be a "space" that will be caused when using a single DIM CD player and I'd really like to put some kind of navigation/touch screen unit in place. Anyone on here have pictures of what some of the models on the market look like while installed on our cars?
Old 07-09-2009, 12:58 PM

IMO they all suck. The 6 disc in dash in my 03 sucks, hasn't played cd's in 2 years......
Old 07-09-2009, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by CreativeSkillz
I'm looking to replacing the CD player with an aftermarket unit, but I want it to look factory. Don't really want there to be a "space" that will be caused when using a single DIM CD player and I'd really like to put some kind of navigation/touch screen unit in place. Anyone on here have pictures of what some of the models on the market look like while installed on our cars?
If you get a new head installed PROFESSIONALLY it will look good. I had mine done this weekend. There is a small slot in the mounting plate which fits my cellphone. It looks very nice though and its a clean install. The mounting plate even has the same contour on the sides so it looks great.

Ill see if I can get a pic to show you.

also, if you get a nice big touchscreen nav you wont have to worry about the extra space anyway.

Edit: When I say professionally I mean real professional. Dont get it done by some kid working at future shop or any of those electronics stores. If you look around you can find shops that specialize in car audio and electronics. those are the best guys for the job.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by nzelinsky
If you get a new head installed PROFESSIONALLY it will look good. I had mine done this weekend. There is a small slot in the mounting plate which fits my cellphone. It looks very nice though and its a clean install. The mounting plate even has the same contour on the sides so it looks great.

Ill see if I can get a pic to show you.

also, if you get a nice big touchscreen nav you wont have to worry about the extra space anyway.

Edit: When I say professionally I mean real professional. Dont get it done by some kid working at future shop or any of those electronics stores. If you look around you can find shops that specialize in car audio and electronics. those are the best guys for the job.
OR you could save the money and do it yourself with the same results...
Old 07-09-2009, 05:58 PM

upgrade upgrade upgrade this is the best solution aftermarket is always better than stock bose or non bose they just suck IMO
Old 07-10-2009, 09:53 AM

I'm up to my fourth stock bose 6 cd changer. They suck the brake out of nowhere. One of them even broke as I tried inserting a cd and hit a bump.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:17 AM

yeah my cd player is sooooooo strange it playes only on the right side till i hit the side of the cd player where my knees are once i hit it plays fine till i hit another really hard bumb then i hit it again so i just listen to my ipod through the tape player no problems there xept my sub bails so im going to the dealer after i write this message n get to the bottom of this
Old 07-10-2009, 10:36 AM

Well crap, really didn't want to put any money into the Maxima at all; now I'm talking about replacing the cd player and installing nitrous. *sigh*

My other car is never gonna get done.

What is a good touch screen navigation unit? I'm pretty much clueless on the whole audio world.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I am looking for a Non-bose stock head unit for a 01 maxima if anyone has a working one they want to sale.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:39 PM

DIY!
Old 07-15-2009, 07:45 AM

Originally posted by Sublime258

well anybody who doesnt do this kind of work as a professional WOULD NOT have the same results. Trust me, the install is very clean, all the wires are run in the same spots as factory wires and nothing is showing. Not to mention there were complications with grounding the steering wheel controls to and a new ground had to be set up... There is no way I could have done everything they did.

Not to mention that the aforementioned professionals are friends of mine and did my whole install for FREE.

CREATIVESKILLZ - Go with alpine and you can't go wrong
Old 07-15-2009, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by sublime258
thankyou. and i know your problem. its a stock bose head unit. get rid of it. they all suck
Old 07-15-2009, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by nzelinsky
well anybody who doesnt do this kind of work as a professional WOULD NOT have the same results. Trust me, the install is very clean, all the wires are run in the same spots as factory wires and nothing is showing. Not to mention there were complications with grounding the steering wheel controls to and a new ground had to be set up... There is no way I could have done everything they did.

Not to mention that the aforementioned professionals are friends of mine and did my whole install for FREE.

CREATIVESKILLZ - Go with alpine and you can't go wrong
it's really not rocket science dude. the install kit being a clean fit has nothing to do with skill...