5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Idle Air Relearn..same on all 5/5.5 gens?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 07:43 AM

Idle Air Relearn..same on all 5/5.5 gens?

Ok, so I've got to try the Idle air relearn but can only find it for the 5gen and was wondering if its the same for the 5.5. Anyone? If i missed it in search i apologize but have been searching for nearly 10 minutes with only results for the 3.0.
Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks Guys!
Old 07-17-2009, 05:33 PM

i posdted it up ...

How to reset your ECU and perform the Throttle Pedal Release and Idle Air Volume Learning procedures on an 02-03 maxima

Before attempting any of the following procedures, it is advisable that you read through the instructions thoroughly and familiarize yourself with them. A stop watch or an analog clock with a second’s needle will be useful. ( i counted outloud becuz i didnt have a stopwatch lol)

ECU Resetting Procedures
Timing is extremely critical. If it is NOT DONE within the specify time, the ECU will not reset and the Check Engine Light (CEL) will continue to remain ON.
Operations Procedures
1. Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch “ON” and wait 3 seconds.
2. Repeat the following steps (2a and 2b) procedures quickly five times within 5 seconds.
2a. Fully depress the accelerator pedal (HARD).
2b. Fully release the accelerator pedal.
3. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 10 seconds until the CEL starts blinking.
4. Fully release the accelerator pedal (while the CEL is still blinking)
5. Wait about 10 second.
6. Fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for more than 10 seconds.
7. Fully release the accelerator pedal (The CEL light will continue to blink).
8. Turn ignition switch to “OFF” position and now you can start the car. The CEL light should be gone.
If the CEL light continues to remain ON, repeat the above steps. Timing is EXTREMELY critical to resetting the ECU.
Accelerator Pedal Release Position Learning
Operation Procedure

1. Make sure that the accelerator pedal is fully released.
2. Turn ignition switch “ON” and wait at least 2 seconds.
3. Turn ignition switch “OFF” wait at least 10 seconds.
4. Turn ignition switch “ON” and wait at least 2 seconds.
5. Turn ignition switch “OFF” wait at least 10 seconds.
Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning
Operation Procedures

1. Make sure that accelerator pedal is fully released.
2. Turn ignition switch to “ON”.
3. Turn ignition switch to “OFF” wait at least 10 seconds.
Make sure that the throttle valve moves during above 10 seconds by confirming the operating sound.
Idle Air Volume Learning (Throttle Position Learning)
It is better to count the time accurately with a clock. 1. Perform “Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning”.
2. Perform “Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning”.
3. Start engine and warm it up to normal operating temperature.
4. Turn ignition switch “OFF” and wait at least 10 seconds.
5. Confirm that the accelerator pedal is fully released, then turn ignition switch “ON” and wait 3 seconds.
6. Repeat the following (steps 7a, 7b) procedures quickly five times within 5 seconds.
7a. Fully depress the accelerator pedal (HARD)
7b. Fully release the accelerator pedal.
8. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 20 seconds until the Check Engine Light (CEL) stops blinking and turned ON.
9. Fully release the accelerator pedal within 3 seconds after the CEL is ON.
10. Start engine and let it idle.
11. Wait 20 seconds.
12. Rev up the engine two or three times and make sure the idle speed and ignition timing are within the specifications.

IMPORTANT

***** when you have the idle at the factory settings... shut off the car and dissconnect the negative battery terminal as soon as you shut the car off also turn on the headlights after to get any additional juice out.( i waited about 10-15 minutes)..keep it unplugged for a couple of minutes and then connect it all back together and this shuld save your factory idle....many 02-03 maxima have trouble keeping the idle learned in the computer...resulting in the same high idle as what you started with....when you start the car again....this took me about 4 trys to get it right...might take you more then once..so be patient and keep trying...goodluck

here u go ... and no its a lil diff. than the 5th gen
Old 07-27-2009, 10:49 AM

thanks..ill give this a try this week!
Old 07-27-2009, 11:28 AM

The "shutting car off" afterward is not a proper relearn.

You simply need to wait longer for the idle to maintain its idle.

taking the negative off the battery (and depressing brake pedal or leaving the headlights on) just drain voltage from the ECU. That is a hard reset to defaul idle, not really saving the idle.

To ensure that you have proper idle air volume learned, let it idle for 20-30 sec after it drops to normal idle. After this you should REV the engine a few times and make sure the idle drops back to normal.

If it doesn't return than the idle air volume wasn't learned properly and needs to idle longer. It can also be attributed to a bad TB or a vacuum/plenum leak.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:14 PM

bump and im just bumping this because im tryna pull it up tomorro for somebody to do it for me and dont wanna search again lol
Old 10-06-2009, 04:32 PM

Maxima dude you the man! I was losing my mind trying to figure out my high and erratic idle!!! Just finished doing spacers and plugs and cleaning of whole intake then couldn't get the idle back to normal! I was freaking, almost bought a new TB! The relearn that is included with the NWP spacers is not the right one! Did your relearn and came out perfect... Good stuff!
Old 11-25-2009, 12:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I posted this on another thread, but it seems like it should be on this one too.

Here's some more info on this whole subject that I learned the hard way:

1 - Leaks are a big problem. I cleaned my TB and put in new plugs and when I put it all back together, my idle was about 1500. I tried everything I could find on here, but to no avail. I finally broke down and took it to the dealer, where they told me I needed some new gaskets and that the whole fix would be about $550. I bought the plenum gasket (6 holes) for about $50 and paid $100 more for their diagnosis, and decided to do it myself. After getting it together, still idling high. Back to the dealer - ugh! Fortunately, the mechanic showed me a trick. By spraying carb/throttle body cleaner at various connections, he showed me that it was leaking where the double-barrelled tube from the TB connects to the plenum. I made the mistake of taking that off. Don't do it! If you spray the cleaner at the joint, and there's a leak there, the idle rpm will drop briefly. Anyway, I decided to use the gasket-in-a-tube because I couldn't get the OE gasket to seal. Still idling high! CRAP! So I sprayed cleaner at where the TB connects to the double-barrel aluminum tube. Sure enough, another leak. Another goo-gasket, and I finally got all the leaks.
2 - After fixing the leaks, it still idled a little high (around 1000 rpm) which lit the SES light after a reset at Auto Zone. (my 03 doesn't have a CEL, it has a Service Engine Soon light, just to be clear). So I still had to do the relearn. The dealer wanted about $115 more, so I tried several times and finally got it to work, using the sequence I found on one of these boards from maxima dude. Where he says CEL, read SES light. I did go through the whole procedure - ECU Reset, Accel Pedal Release Position learn, Throttle Valve Closed Position learn, and last Idle Air Volume Learn. I had to do it several times, and as maxima dude says, timing is critical.

I hope this helps someone avoid the headaches I have been through.