5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Wheel Alignment-what are you paying for?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2001, 07:22 PM

Wheel Alignment-what are you paying for?

According to the Nissan Service Manual, 5th generations have no adjustability for camber, caster or kingpin inclination, all are factory set. Rear suspension has no adjustability. What are you pay for when you have your Maxima in for a wheel alignment, toe-in? Wheel alignment is generally recommended after any spring and/or strut replacement. What are they adjusting?
Old 11-27-2001, 01:44 AM

Re: Wheel Alignment-what are you paying for?

On mine, they could only adjust the tow and then gave me some BS about something being bent. And, that is why they couldn't straighten the steering wheel. But, I evenetually got my money back...

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....threadid=72826

ADMAN
Old 11-27-2001, 04:02 AM

Re: Wheel Alignment-what are you paying for?

Originally posted by 2maxguy
According to the Nissan Service Manual, 5th generations have no adjustability for camber, caster or kingpin inclination, all are factory set. Rear suspension has no adjustability. What are you pay for when you have your Maxima in for a wheel alignment, toe-in? Wheel alignment is generally recommended after any spring and/or strut replacement. What are they adjusting?
Toe is all that's adjustable on most strut cars. There used to be an amazingly honest shop near me that only charged for 1/3 of an alignment for strut cars - until they wised up. A thrust line or 4 wheel alignment will at least assure that the front wheels are square with the rears. In many ways it's a rip-off when nothing is adjustable but at least you find out if the car is crooked. As far as suspension changes - because of bump steer, any change in ride height could change toe settings. As far as strut changes - since the strut determines most of the geometry, new struts could have a large effect on all settings.

wdave