5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Confused about SSIM..Spacers...block plate.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 07:59 PM

just ask for it to make sure
Old 10-16-2009, 08:20 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by nzelinsky
ts does flash autos. I emailed and they said they can do it.
Wish they could reflash the TCM for more consistent shifts and higher line pressure at full throttle...
Old 10-17-2009, 11:24 AM

im gonna ask n try to get em to do the z33 maps with the L-spec
Old 10-17-2009, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Scottwax
Wish they could reflash the TCM for more consistent shifts and higher line pressure at full throttle...

Scott

yea I know what you mean.... but thats a whole diff ball game, you can always do the drop resistor mod for when you want the extra kick in shift pressure.
Old 10-17-2009, 03:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
hmm... not to nut swang on the guy, but IIRC Jaypee has the L-spec and is running some of the best bumbers on here N/A... lemme ask, if i say i want the custom tune will they automatically give me the z33 maps???... on paper i see the difference... on the track i dont
Nut swing all you want, I dyno'd a bunch of 5.5 gens at maxus before his, and I could just tell that thing was singing crazy.
Old 10-17-2009, 03:17 PM

lol... it pulls a pretty bit
Old 10-17-2009, 07:51 PM

ya do a drop resistor mod and get a transmission control computer and problem solved.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:57 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by nzelinsky
ya do a drop resistor mod and get a transmission control computer and problem solved.
Well...I do have a code reader to turn the damn SES light off when I need to!

Probably end up doing the Trans Go shift kit one of these days. With 162,025 miles on my car as of today, if I'm going to put some money into my car, I probably should be willing to put an engine and transmission into it when needed or find a lower mileage Maxima.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:28 AM

wait... so what is the ssim again? i understand the block off plate, i understand the spacers.. i read both and how to do it on the NWP site.. but what is the SSIM?

i plan on buy the spacers, block off plate, i guess do the ssim, intake, headers, ypipe, test pipe and exhaust and just swap all at once...

i do have an auto and i'll have the valve body built with the transgo.

another thing.. i know TS does the reflash... is it really worth it? i've read some of the things they can do, but i guess its beneficial with all those mods.. especially the intake manifold mods.

its funny.. i grew up with muscle cars... went to turbo's forgot about about NA stuff hahaha... gotta relearn crap..
Old 11-02-2009, 06:09 AM

with all that your going to need a way to tune your a/f ratio.. just sayin...

ssim=secreat sauce intake manifold .. lol...basically you cut the shelf out that is in the middle of the manifold, which opens up the runners more,.. some say its worth it some say its not.. there is a dyno compare around that shows the block off plate puts down more then the block off with shelf cut,.. but its all subjective,..
Old 11-02-2009, 06:15 AM

oh ok... so basically its best to just do the block off plate and spacers...

i'm assuming since one of the mods the TechnoSquare does keep the butterfly open all the way to redline, the ssim would be beneficial?

i thought about doing the greddy emanage ultimate but its just simpler to do the TS...plus its oem just reflashed..

is there a write up? because when i click on the HOW TO's it always has a different thread connected to it and never is the same thread to the actual HOW to
Old 11-02-2009, 06:22 AM

unlike adding boost to an NA car... *which is fun*, i really just wanna do all bolt ons and reflash.. i wanna do all the bolt on's mods that i can for NA without cracking the head open with cams n stuff...

maybe one day i can buy a good used motor and do the cams then before swapping into the car... but...

for now.. this would be nice daily

i just gotta make sure i do the transgo kit.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by MidN1te
i'm assuming since one of the mods the TechnoSquare does keep the butterfly open all the way to redline...
I don't believe the TS flash has anything to do with the VIAS valve.

My understanding of the VIAS issue is that a modded engine can create an air-flow turbulence which compromises the pull from the vacuum actuator at WOT, causing the value to flutter. Hence the VIAS-delete mod, sacrificing a little low-end torque for improved high-rev air-flow. I haven't done it yet myself... saving that bit of fun for next Spring.

MidN1te, please don't take this the wrong way, but it reads like you're going after everything all at once. Slow down man, and force yourself to do one thing at a time.

Be the ball. Na-na-na-na-na...
Old 11-02-2009, 06:48 AM

no offense taken Rochester..

its how i operate... If i already have the car down for doing the headers and ypipe and exhaust... its not much more to take off the intake and put the spacers on and the block off plate... i was freaked out about doing my spark plugs... one day i just went at it... i was SO surprised how easy it was it took me roughly 30 min... so unbolting the rest to add the spacers *and doing the proper procedure according the instructions* all at once, is definately alot better imo...
Old 11-02-2009, 06:58 AM

when i build cars... ofcourse there are times where you take steps.. but other times its beneficial do do things all at once..

for exampe.. if i do the headers and ypipe... i might as well add the Test Pipe and exhaust because its all new and easy to just bolt right on...

after i get all those...i'll just drop the car off at the house, send the ecu to TS. then get it back, drive it to the shop to have the Valve body modded with the transgo..

technically i should do the valve body to prepare for the extra power..

but what i'm doing is gathering parts...
Old 11-02-2009, 07:30 AM

just to clarify this to you mid...with the block off plate the butterfly is removed,..
Old 11-02-2009, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by mist max2000
just to clarify this to you mid...with the block off plate the butterfly is removed,..
Your absolutely right! i just remembered reading the instructions.

well then... shoot... i guess the ssim isnt worth it to me then... i only say this because i know it shifts the power from low end to the top end..

and i'm in the city more than anything and i would need the more down low power but willing to sacrefice some of it for the highway runs...

so i can safely say just do the spacers and block off plate? full bolt ons and reflash?
Old 11-14-2009, 09:59 AM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Just ordered the block-off plate. Low 10s in the quarter-mile, here I come.
Old 11-14-2009, 01:26 PM

I have the nwp spacers sitting in my garage as we speak!!
Old 11-14-2009, 04:17 PM

so i can safely say just do the spacers and block off plate? full bolt ons and reflash?
Yeah for sure you can. I already did headers intake and block plate. Next will be 3" catback spacers and AFR tuning... then we'll see about the reflash. The main reason I would do the flash is to move up the rev limiter
Old 11-15-2009, 05:48 AM

This is definately something i'mma gonna do..

BUT first since i just got a whole slew of stuff done to the maxima with new lip kit and paint job and rims ect ect..

im gonna hold off until i upgrade my turbo on my s2000.. trying to get my 400whp first lol
Old 11-19-2009, 02:48 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by perkman87
I have the nwp spacers sitting in my garage as we speak!!
I've got the NWP block-off plate sitting on the floor of my car, waiting for the engine to cool down. Even without installing it, I felt a huge difference just driving from the mailbox to my parking spot.
Old 11-19-2009, 03:05 PM

I've got the NWP block-off plate sitting on the floor of my car, waiting for the engine to cool down. Even without installing it, I felt a huge difference just driving from the mailbox to my parking spot.
C'mon, funny man. Get that VIAS valve off your ride and let us know what you think!

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...r-5-5-gen.html

This would be a VIAS-delete, but no Intake Spacers, right?
Old 11-19-2009, 04:49 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by Rochester
C'mon, funny man. Get that VIAS valve off your ride and let us know what you think!

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...r-5-5-gen.html

This would be a VIAS-delete, but no Intake Spacers, right?
Had to get in a 23 mile ride on my road bike, supposed to rain tomorrow and I've got a ton of cars to detail over the weekend. Tonight was my last night to ride this week. Going to head down to my car in a bit. My bike light is 180 lumens (pretty much like having HIDs on my bike) so I'll have ample light.

I just got the block-off plate, going to get the spacers when I change the plugs.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by KRRZ350
Nut swing all you want, I dyno'd a bunch of 5.5 gens at maxus before his, and I could just tell that thing was singing crazy.
so you are saying???
Old 11-19-2009, 05:59 PM

Here is a comparison for yall on this block plate thing...
i raised 3mph with doing the SSIM on top of the block plate (no spacers) at the track, also lowered my PB by .2...
vids
Block plate No SSIM
http://www.youtube.com/burrtvdotcom1#p/u/1/45N0MWPRtg0

SSIM and Block plate
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlvEqClE9R0

Forget dyno paperwork... Performance and video is proof... now i cant really say it is because of the SSIM why i ran .2 seconds faster cause i had smaller wheels on... but i can say for a fact its because of the SSIM why i went from 97.08mph to 100.22mph... a very pleasing 3.14mph
Old 11-19-2009, 06:05 PM

Your absolutely right! i just remembered reading the instructions.

well then... shoot... i guess the ssim isnt worth it to me then... i only say this because i know it shifts the power from low end to the top end..

and i'm in the city more than anything and i would need the more down low power but willing to sacrefice some of it for the highway runs...

SSIM is worth it... trust... the minor loss in bottom end is worth it... think of it like this, for the most part u only see 3k and lower rpms when u leave the line, so bottom end really doesnt mean too much ur always 4K and climbing when your actually using the SSIM
Old 11-19-2009, 08:01 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
SSIM is worth it... trust... the minor loss in bottom end is worth it... think of it like this, for the most part u only see 3k and lower rpms when u leave the line, so bottom end really doesnt mean too much ur always 4K and climbing when your actually using the SSIM
...at the drag strip! Most of my driving, I am under 3500 rpm so I don't want to kill low end torque. Plus to really take advantage of the SSIM, you need to raise the rev limiter to 7200 rpm. Definitely seems to be worthwhile if you run at the strip a lot but still not so sure with a street car. Maybe with the intake spacers you don't lose as much bottom end?

Nice job getting into the 13's and trapping 100+.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:23 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Installed the NWP Block Plate this evening.

A few things for those who haven't yet done this mod:

1. The wiring bundle has a third bolt under it that is hard to access. If I'd had a 12 mm wrench, that might not have mattered but for some reason I couldn't find mine and had to access the 3 bolts on the VIAS set-up with a socket wrench and you can't access the lower rear bolt without removing the 3rd wiring bundle bolt. Make sure you have the tools you need (which are listed in the directions). I also had to unplug the light blue, dark blue and green wiring connectors to have enough clearance to get that bolt with a socket.

2. If you have a upper strut bar, unbolt it on the passenger side, gives you more clearance.

3. Read the directions! You cannot remove the VIAS assembly if you don't partially close the butterfly valve. It closes towards the radiator, NOT THE FIREWALL! I would have realized what the problem was if I'd turned to page 2 of the directions.

My impressions of the mod:

1. Very nice looking, well machined plate. Fits perfectly.

2. I did notice some "softness" between 2800 to around 4000 rpm but after that there is a noticable surge and the tach seems to fly towards redline. Plus I noticed that left in drive, my car was now shifting at 6400 rpm instead of 6200 rpm.

3. If you launch hard, you really don't notice the bottom end loss, especially if you allow a *little* wheelspin.

4. From a roll, even if the engine is under 4000 rpms after the downshift, the pull is more consistent. A constant irritation with my car is how at lets say, a 50 mph roll, when I get all the way on it, sometimes it pulls real hard, other times it is soft until the rpms build a bit. My guess is that the VIAS system doesn't always work exactly as it is supposed to and the valve doesn't open and close properly all the time.

5. The surge above 4000 rpms is oddly more pronounced at part throttle. Not sure why but it was a nice surprise.

Since everyone likes pictures:

I can see why this big 'ol thing is a restriction on top end! And yes, my car does use a quart of oil every 1500-1800 miles on average. However, there was no pooling of oil in the intake but it did have a yellowish cast to the interior.

Last edited by Scottwax; 11-19-2009 at 08:27 PM.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:59 PM
Toolie

I think the powervalve would work better if the vacuum tube was larger than what is on there right now. It's just way too small to compensate for the rubulence of the air blasting past it at WOT.

I have a blockoff plate sitting here right now, but I'm not sure if it will mess up my tune.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:21 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by knight_yyz
I think the powervalve would work better if the vacuum tube was larger than what is on there right now. It's just way too small to compensate for the rubulence of the air blasting past it at WOT.
It acts like it is confused.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:46 AM

[QUOTE=Scottwax;7302721]Installed the NWP Block Plate this evening.

A few things for those who haven't yet done this mod:

1. The wiring bundle has a third bolt under it that is hard to access. If I'd had a 12 mm wrench, that might not have mattered but for some reason I couldn't find mine and had to access the 3 bolts on the VIAS set-up with a socket wrench and you can't access the lower rear bolt without removing the 3rd wiring bundle bolt. Make sure you have the tools you need (which are listed in the directions). I also had to unplug the light blue, dark blue and green wiring connectors to have enough clearance to get that bolt with a socket.

2. If you have a upper strut bar, unbolt it on the passenger side, gives you more clearance.

3. Read the directions! You cannot remove the VIAS assembly if you don't partially close the butterfly valve. It closes towards the radiator, NOT THE FIREWALL! I would have realized what the problem was if I'd turned to page 2 of the directions.

My impressions of the mod:

1. Very nice looking, well machined plate. Fits perfectly.

2. I did notice some "softness" between 2800 to around 4000 rpm but after that there is a noticable surge and the tach seems to fly towards redline. Plus I noticed that left in drive, my car was now shifting at 6400 rpm instead of 6200 rpm.

3. If you launch hard, you really don't notice the bottom end loss, especially if you allow a *little* wheelspin.

4. From a roll, even if the engine is under 4000 rpms after the downshift, the pull is more consistent. A constant irritation with my car is how at lets say, a 50 mph roll, when I get all the way on it, sometimes it pulls real hard, other times it is soft until the rpms build a bit. My guess is that the VIAS system doesn't always work exactly as it is supposed to and the valve doesn't open and close properly all the time.

5. The surge above 4000 rpms is oddly more pronounced at part throttle. Not sure why but it was a nice surprise.

Since everyone likes pictures:

I can see why this big 'ol thing is a restriction on top end! And yes, my car does use a quart of oil every 1500-1800 miles on average. However, there was no pooling of oil in the intake but it did have a yellowish cast to the interior.

Nice write up Scott.
Old 11-26-2009, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Derrick2k2SE
First of all, ignore any info for the 00/01 cars. The VIAS is different and not what we are talking about.

Removing it is really simple.
First, remove the vacuum line going to it and block it off. You can just fold it over and zip tie it.
Next, unbolt and remove the stock plate. It has the whole mechanism attachet to it inside the manifold.
Finally, reuse the gasket and bolt the blockoff plate in place.
That's all there is to it. You can keep the stock mechanism so you can return it to stock later if you want.
So what will the spacer, VIAS Block and SSIM will do to a 5.0 max? I have a 2000 Max and barely learning about mods. Yes yes I am a rookie and willing to learn and be part of the group of Maxima enthusiasts!
Old 11-26-2009, 04:28 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by Skunk83
So what will the spacer, VIAS Block and SSIM will do to a 5.0 max? I have a 2000 Max and barely learning about mods. Yes yes I am a rookie and willing to learn and be part of the group of Maxima enthusiasts!
Originally Posted by Derrick2k2SE
First of all, ignore any info for the 00/01 cars. The VIAS is different and not what we are talking about.
You might want to read the quote you pulled better.

5.0 Max? Unless you've swapped in a 302 from a Mustang, I'm going to assume you mean a 3.0.

The only applicable mod for a 2000/1 Maxima is the NWP intake spacers. Not sure if the gains are the same as the 2002/3 VQ35 Maximas.
Old 11-26-2009, 06:59 PM

he meant 5.0 as in terms of not a 5.5 ,.,.,. at least i think,...but i see where your comming from .. makes me think of a foxbody right away too

and yes..there is no such thing as a block blate on a 3.0 motor.. only spacers..
Old 11-26-2009, 08:42 PM

You might want to read the quote you pulled better.

5.0 Max? Unless you've swapped in a 302 from a Mustang, I'm going to assume you mean a 3.0.

The only applicable mod for a 2000/1 Maxima is the NWP intake spacers. Not sure if the gains are the same as the 2002/3 VQ35 Maximas.
Hahahaha! I see what you mean but I meant the 5.0 Gen Max. not Engine. That would be awsome if I did! Hahaha! So just to confirm, there is no SSIM and no VIAS BLock for 2000/2001 Maximas? Only Spacers.
Old 11-26-2009, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by mist max2000
he meant 5.0 as in terms of not a 5.5 ,.,.,. at least i think,...but i see where your comming from .. makes me think of a foxbody right away too

and yes..there is no such thing as a block blate on a 3.0 motor.. only spacers..
and there arnt any spacers for the DE-k modle(00-01) cause the IM is plastic and not metal which is the point of the spacers. to keep heat from the metal engine heating up the metal IM runners. thats why we put on spacers.
Old 11-26-2009, 09:11 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by hot_wax_tree
and there arnt any spacers for the DE-k modle(00-01) cause the IM is plastic and not metal which is the point of the spacers. to keep heat from the metal engine heating up the metal IM runners. thats why we put on spacers.
NWP has spacers for the DE-K.

http://www.nwpengineering.com/Phenol...s.html#VQ30DEK
Old 11-26-2009, 09:48 PM

Yup
Old 11-27-2009, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by hot_wax_tree
see above posts. . .

Quick Reply: Confused about SSIM..Spacers...block plate.