5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Engine Disaster

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 09:11 PM

i suggest you put some oil in it and then try take a video of it running (if it will still run) so we can hear/see what is going on.

If the engine is really done for i would suggest trying to find a local car savvy orger who is willing and pay them a few hundred dollars to swap in a new engine in their driveway. you are probably only about $2k into it at that point and back on the road
Old 07-28-2009, 09:34 PM

guys, he's already stated he's not prepared to do any of the mechanic work himself, hence the reason of choosing to have it rebuilt. that being said...

as said before, go get a 5 quart jug of oil from walmart, it's like $10. fill her up and see is she runs.

if not, do as i said before, post your location and see if a local org member is willing to do the work for you. it'll cost SUBSTANTIALLY less than a shop. prolly just a couple hundred and a case of beer.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:52 PM

1.) Low mileage engine that has been tested from http://www.car-part.com/, $500-$800
2.) 12 hours of labor at a rate of $70 to $80 an hour at a reputable shop, $840-$960
3.) Saving $2200+ and telling whoevers charging you $4,000 for a rebuild to stick it where the sun dont shine, PRICELESS!

Make no mistake about it, 4k for a rebuild is a complete ripoff, especially when you can have a low mileage tested engine delivered to a reputable shop and have them install it, all for under $2,000...

What a waste!
Old 07-28-2009, 11:50 PM

a 2000 maxima for $7500?? rip off!

i got my 2002 I35 for $6100, and thats deff an upgrade.

but yeah i agree with the guys. go ahead and do a 3.5 swap. it should cost you no more than $2000. or at $4500-$5500 you can probably get another used 2000 maxima for that price.

that sucks about the oil though, im going to go check my oil right now haha.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:04 AM
Go BUCKS!!!

Just found a VQ35 (2002-up) engine locally to me with 33k miles for $1350.

Better deals are out there definitely.

I think we all understand that you won't be doing the work yourself, but you could take some time to search for more affordable alternative solutions than throwing away a good chunk of change. Just hire the swap out to the same or another shop and you'll still be saving yourself quite a bit of money.

Just my $.02
Old 07-29-2009, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by SmokinMax01
1.) Low mileage engine that has been tested from http://www.car-part.com/, $500-$800
2.) 12 hours of labor at a rate of $70 to $80 an hour at a reputable shop, $840-$960
3.) Saving $2200+ and telling whoevers charging you $4,000 for a rebuild to stick it where the sun dont shine, PRICELESS!

Make no mistake about it, 4k for a rebuild is a complete ripoff, especially when you can have a low mileage tested engine delivered to a reputable shop and have them install it, all for under $2,000...

What a waste!
Couldn't of said it better my friend.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:30 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Guys I think he's definitely made up his mind...he's having the engine rebuilt. Who's to say the .org didn't try, but some people can't see the light..

However, at the very LEAST you should definitely fill up the oil and start it. If the damage is already done, then who cares?
Old 07-29-2009, 09:34 AM

Again, I appreciate all your suggestions and admit I could have done an engine swap at a better price. But it is too late now as the rebuilding work has already begun. The car should be completed in about a week and I will keep you posted on how it turned out. After all, there still are two unresolved issues that we have asked the mechanic to look into:

1. How did the oil leak out so quickly with no signs to the driver, like smoke, oil stains, etc.
2. Why did the low oil pressure light not warn my son of this impending problem.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:50 PM

Because the oil pressure light doesn't indicate oil level only pressure. If it was totally out of oil it should have lit indicating no oil pressure. But if it still had some it probably gained enough oil pressure to not light.

I think its fair to say the oil change place didnt put enough oil, and or didnt tighten something. Same thing happened to my buddy this oil lube guys arent usually the brightest lightbulb in the pack. They left his oil drain plug off totally, car drained right back into the pan as the guy filled it up. So there was no evidence...of leakage until the motor locked up on his way home.

In his case though they bought and paid to have the new motor put in.

Yet another case of why I dont let anyone change my oil but me.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:53 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

Originally Posted by Magellan
Again, I appreciate all your suggestions and admit I could have done an engine swap at a better price. But it is too late now as the rebuilding work has already begun. The car should be completed in about a week and I will keep you posted on how it turned out. After all, there still are two unresolved issues that we have asked the mechanic to look into:

1. How did the oil leak out so quickly with no signs to the driver, like smoke, oil stains, etc.
2. Why did the low oil pressure light not warn my son of this impending problem.
Honestly, why does it really matter at this point? But my guess is that the place that "changed" the oil, didn't add any.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by infinitiblast
Because the oil pressure light doesn't indicate oil level only pressure. If it was totally out of oil it should have lit indicating no oil pressure. But if it still had some it probably gained enough oil pressure to not light.

I think its fair to say the oil change place didnt put enough oil, and or didnt tighten something. Same thing happened to my buddy this oil lube guys arent usually the brightest lightbulb in the pack. They left his oil drain plug off totally, car drained right back into the pan as the guy filled it up. So there was no evidence...of leakage until the motor locked up on his way home.

In his case though they bought and paid to have the new motor put in.

Yet another case of why I dont let anyone change my oil but me.
You may be right on both counts.

I too used to change my own oil in past cars including my old Maximas. But besides the fact that the oil filter is quite hard to get at on my G37 (the car must be lifted and a plastic undercover must be unclipped and bolts removed before the filter can be accessed), in Los Angeles no service station in my neighborhood will take used oil anymore unless they do the change. Used oil must now be saved and delivered to a recycling or hazardous material facility that is only open once every few months.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:07 PM
No more Maximas...

You may be right on both counts.

I too used to change my own oil in past cars including my old Maximas. But besides the fact that the oil filter is quite hard to get at on my G37 (the car must be lifted and a plastic undercover must be unclipped and bolts removed before the filter can be accessed), in Los Angeles no service station in my neighborhood will take used oil anymore unless they do the change. Used oil must now be saved and delivered to a recycling or hazardous material facility that is only open once every few months.
So your local Autozone/Advance/etc don't take used oil? Most of them do.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by SEmy2K2go
Honestly, why does it really matter at this point? But my guess is that the place that "changed" the oil, didn't add any.
It matters because I’m not sure that with the oil change occurring about a month ago, how this car with no oil could run that long before any noticeable signs of trouble.

But it goes without saying that I will now impress upon my son that he does what I do the first thing after an oil/filter change: Check the oil myself to make sure it is at the proper level and that its appearance is new and clean.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:21 PM

My local trash/recycle center takes used oil for free.

Magellan, with the money you spent, lets hope your son's "reborn" maxima will last another 100K!
Old 07-29-2009, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr
So your local Autozone/Advance/etc don't take used oil? Most of them do.
I haven’t tried Autozone but the last three places I attempted wouldn’t take it (nor have me pour it out myself in their storage tank). Perhaps California is different than Tennessee, but considering that I didn’t have the oil changed at these places I can hardly blame them for not wanting to take it.

For $35 I now have my local Infiniti dealer do it, with my checking afterward as mentioned in my last post. They also wash the car. It works for me.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:43 PM
No more Maximas...

I haven’t tried Autozone but the last three places I attempted wouldn’t take it (nor have me pour it out myself in their storage tank). Perhaps California is different than Tennessee, but considering that I didn’t have the oil changed at these places I can hardly blame them for not wanting to take it.

For $35 I now have my local Infiniti dealer do it, with my checking afterward as mentioned in my last post. They also wash the car. It works for me.
Autozone, Advance, etc don't do oil changes

I'm talking auto parts stores, not service shops...
Old 07-29-2009, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr
Autozone, Advance, etc don't do oil changes

I'm talking auto parts stores, not service shops...
my infiniti dealer charges me $65 for an oil change, and they put in some valvoline crap and some cheap fram filter. uh hell no.

walmart 5qt jug Mobil 1 EP- $26
autozone mobil 1 M1-110 filter- $12

total: $38
Total value: priceless. mobil 1 syn blows any valvoline out of the water
Old 07-29-2009, 06:38 PM

Used motor oil is the best for deep frying french fries. Just strain it a few times through a paper towel.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:32 PM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by The6spdMax
Magellan, with the money you spent, lets hope your son's "reborn" maxima will last another 100K!
Doubtful. Tranny is likely next thing to go...
Old 07-29-2009, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
Doubtful. Tranny is likely next thing to go...
I hope you’re wrong but there’s a ring of truth in what you say. My 1991 Maxima SE went through two transmissions in 146K miles. My 2000 Maxima GLE had no tranny problems however after 65K miles when I leased a G35 coupe.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:14 PM
Suspension Yoda

I'm at 125k. Car is at my mechanic right now having the transmission looked at. It's the unfortunate expected truth, they DO go. Just like MAF's, ignition coils, and many other parts.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:44 PM

Man wish you were local "chicago" would of helped you out totally. Good luck with the new engine
Old 07-29-2009, 10:53 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

I appreciate the concern that some of you have expressed on this issue. But please keep in mind that when considering all the factors we decided on the engine rebuild.
That is of course, assuming the engine is properly rebuilt. I have a customer with a '69 Z/28 and the shop that rebuilt his 302 somehow left out one of the rod bolts. 3 miles from the shop and the engine blew up.

I had a transmission rebuilt in an Accord I used to have. $1800 parts and labor. 1 year warranty. It went back to the shop 5 times under warranty, the last time it was there two weeks. Yeah, they did the work for free but I had to pony up for a total of 38 days of rental car fees. Not to mention they NEVER fixed it right. Finally put in a used automatic and never had a problem after that.

I also put a use engine in that car at around 150k miles. The replacement engine had about 50k miles on it and was still going strong when I sold the car with 280,285 miles on it.

Considering the age and real value (blue book doesn't matter if people won't pay that much) a good used engine is a far better deal. It is very rare for a Nissan engine to fail like that. You could probably have a used engine installed for less than $2000, even if you opt for a very low mileage used engine.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:58 PM

Mechanic Special 2000 Nissan Maxima GLE - $1 (Queens & Nassau)

Date: 2009-07-28, 4:47PM EDT
Reply to: sale-uwmht-1293862586@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

I am trying to sell my car, whether it be for parts or for the car itself. its a 2000 nissan maxima. body looks great with only a few scratches; nothing a touch-up job cant correct. I still drive the car but it is my second car. it does have a lot of miles, but still runs very well. air condiotioner and heat work like new. if parts is what youre looking for, then i have anything you need from the car. again, it is the GLE, so its the one with all the extra features. email me for more info. best offer takes it. meir869@gmail.com
  • it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
PostingID: 1293862586
Old 07-29-2009, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Scottwax
That is of course, assuming the engine is properly rebuilt. I have a customer with a '69 Z/28 and the shop that rebuilt his 302 somehow left out one of the rod bolts. 3 miles from the shop and the engine blew up.

I had a transmission rebuilt in an Accord I used to have. $1800 parts and labor. 1 year warranty. It went back to the shop 5 times under warranty, the last time it was there two weeks. Yeah, they did the work for free but I had to pony up for a total of 38 days of rental car fees. Not to mention they NEVER fixed it right. Finally put in a used automatic and never had a problem after that.

I also put a use engine in that car at around 150k miles. The replacement engine had about 50k miles on it and was still going strong when I sold the car with 280,285 miles on it.

Considering the age and real value (blue book doesn't matter if people won't pay that much) a good used engine is a far better deal. It is very rare for a Nissan engine to fail like that. You could probably have a used engine installed for less than $2000, even if you opt for a very low mileage used engine.
amen. im sure they decided on the option that was "easiest," not the cheapest. but its their decision, even if it makes as much sense as a $129.99 synthetic oil change at Infiniti of Scottsdale.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:25 AM

Are they rebuilding your engine or purchasing a rebuilt engine? Most shops this day and age purchase an engine that is already rebuilt opposed to taking the time to rebuid an engine themselves. In either case, I'd make certain as to what the engine rebuild constitutes.
Most used engines with installation would run in the $2500 range, so spending the $4k isn't that far out of line, along with no hassles/worries, hopefully, and a 2 year warranty, (parts and labor?).
If the Max is in good condition, the engine replacement is still less expensive than finding another vehicle.
Curiors to know what was damaged inside the engine.
Good luck.

Last edited by Turbonut; 07-30-2009 at 04:27 AM.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:57 AM

They are rebuilding the existing engine. Our mechanic has sub-let the work to a firm that specializes in engine rebuilding. With the two-year warranty we’re hoping for no trouble for at least that period. The car’s A/C is still not working properly (they’re going to fix that as the Nissan dealer confirmed it was a bad fan resistor), but it has new tires, battery, starter motor, ignition coils with no body damage, so we believe the car is worth keeping.

As a side note, I promised my son that when he graduates college my wife and I will buy him a new Infiniti G37 Coupe (his choice) as a graduation present. So all we need is for the GLE to last that long.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:47 AM

They are rebuilding the existing engine. Our mechanic has sub-let the work to a firm that specializes in engine rebuilding. With the two-year warranty we’re hoping for no trouble for at least that period. The car’s A/C is still not working properly (they’re going to fix that as the Nissan dealer confirmed it was a bad fan resistor), but it has new tires, battery, starter motor, ignition coils with no body damage, so we believe the car is worth keeping.

As a side note, I promised my son that when he graduates college my wife and I will buy him a new Infiniti G37 Coupe (his choice) as a graduation present. So all we need is for the GLE to last that long.
You think you can convince my father to buy me a brand new G37s too?
Old 07-30-2009, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Whitebread
You think you can convince my father to buy me a brand new G37s too?
Yes I can. The steps are as follows:

• Hang around the house for a few years without paying room and board
• Enter college with your parents prodding without taking it too seriously
• Play computer games in your spare time instead of studying
• Never earn a grade above “C”
• Smart mouth your parents whenever you can

After awhile your parents will want to kick you out, but first they will want you to have a college degree, so they will bribe you with a new G37s if you would just graduate, get a good job and earn you own living.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:27 AM
Suspension Yoda

Don't mean to be rude but your son sounds like a real winner.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:51 AM

i hope my engine seizes up soon too then lol. still got two years to go wonder what my parents have planned for me? probably a free oil change...
Old 07-30-2009, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Col Ronson
i hope my engine seizes up soon too then lol. still got two years to go wonder what my parents have planned for me? probably a free oil change...
Well, we may be getting a bit off topic here, but as a parent I accept my obligation to do whatever I can to prepare my children for adulthood. And it’s in our family’s culture to have our children graduate college. If I must use this grand bribe as a motivating tool then I’m willing to do it. Yes, he’s 25 and should be self-motivated, but if he falls short I will know I did everything I could without later feeling guilty.

I’m sure whatever your parents have planned for you upon graduation will be OK. They will be proud of your accomplishment as you move on with your life.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:49 PM

when obtaining an engine from a junk yard,,check the oil to make sure it don t smell burnt or if the color of oil is black and thick,,,avoid buying that engine,,it s a future to problems,,,you can disconnect the oil pan and observe the crankcase,,then get a new crankcase gasket and reinstall the pan,,,if it satisfies you...common sense pays off,,
Old 07-30-2009, 07:32 PM

Yes I can. The steps are as follows:

• Hang around the house for a few years without paying room and board
• Enter college with your parents prodding without taking it too seriously
• Play computer games in your spare time instead of studying
• Never earn a grade above “C”
• Smart mouth your parents whenever you can

After awhile your parents will want to kick you out, but first they will want you to have a college degree, so they will bribe you with a new G37s if you would just graduate, get a good job and earn you own living.
What happened to 'earn the living' as a convincing measure? Getting a good job is what bothers me in this sequence unless you're going to help with that too... OT all the way, sorry.
On the subject - I had an accident like that: my son was changing oil and forgot to tighten oil filter. 2 weeks (!) after I was driving and saw the light and I admit my ignorance/stupidity - continued to drive. Engine lasted about a mile after that. I lost the filter and oil poured out on the road - I saw the trace next day. Bought a used engine as everyone recommended, presented son a dilemma, had a good time replacing it. Still running fine after a year/20k. It was Max SE 1993. The best part is son now really pays attention doing oil change.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:26 PM
Bad *** Newb

Can I get adopted? I want a G37!
Old 07-30-2009, 10:54 PM

Magellan its nice to see someone so dedicated to their kids, but it hurts my wallet just thinking about the money that could have been saved.

I am sure you could have hired some of the local .Org members to search for engines and gather a few guys together from .Org to put it in for you for half the money. Heck, I would have driven down there to lend a hand for free if you were in Washington haha.

But now its already too late, but if you had some spare change lying around then I guess its no loss haha... its just... you could have probably bought a body kit, or a super charger, or get some new rims with the left over money OR some new tires like what I need right now, but am too cheap to buy them... darn you college! DARN YOU!
Old 07-31-2009, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Leo_Koneval
But now its already too late, but if you had some spare change lying around then I guess its no loss haha... its just... you could have probably bought a body kit, or a super charger, or get some new rims with the left over money
At my age I’m not much into mods and neither is my son; me because I don’t have this need to be “unique” and my son because he can’t afford it. So both our cars are stock.

But that brings up another thought. Most of you have chided me for not going with the cheaper swap solution, yet you’re probably willing to spend $3,000 or more on aftermarket rims, body kits, or other expensive cosmetics, none of which add to the car’s performance or engine longevity. And unless you'e going to the track every day, I don't see the need for a $1,000 supercharger. Isn’t there some inconsistency here?
Old 07-31-2009, 10:38 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I don't think the advice was inconsistent at all.

If you can get the motor done for 1/2 the price, you can spend the money you saved on toys that you like.

There's nothing fun about spending money on a blown motor, but those add-ons can be fun.

Kind of like saving money with coupons at the grocery store in order to save up for a good vacation....
Old 07-31-2009, 11:11 AM

To each his own of course, but I don’t know if such toys are “fun.” Body kits IMHO are detract from the well-designed appearance of the car, and aftermarket rims, after one spends up to $4K for them, replace perfectly good OEM’s that will collect dust in someone’s garage or storage area for ten years until they’re eventually thrown out.

Alas, what one person sees as a waste of money may be money well-spent to another.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:02 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Yes, he’s 25 and should be self-motivated, but if he falls short I will know I did everything I could without later feeling guilty.
My younger son is a self starter and is putting himself through college. My older boy lacks motivation so he enlisted in the Marines and goes to boot in November.

Quick Reply: Engine Disaster