5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

3M Headlight Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 08:13 AM

3M Headlight Restoration

Here are some before and after pictures. I really liked the outcome and the light looks slightly brighter on the road. But, the biggest perk is the headlight looks amazing!

In the box you will get 3 coarse grit 3 fine grit and 1 wet sander. I used only 1 of both coarse and fine grit on each headlight and it turned out fine. I was extra careful with the headlight in the picture and sloppy with the second and they both turned out the same, which makes it pretty much fool proof. Make sure you mask the edges and don't be scared after the the coarse grit, it'll all work out once finished.

I replaced my fuel filter also and this is a sample of the old filtration element that was once a bright yellow.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:33 AM

did u do this by hand or with a drill
Old 07-31-2009, 09:53 AM

I've been contemplating doing this on my 5.5s. Just a little hesitant about them coming out worse than before. Some people just have bad luck. Looks great though!
Old 07-31-2009, 10:39 AM

Is there a link as to what the box looks like and where you got it? I want to do this to mine and then cover them with a clear Lamin-X protector.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by AEMAXIMA01
I've been contemplating doing this on my 5.5s. Just a little hesitant about them coming out worse than before. Some people just have bad luck. Looks great though!
I hear you. The lenses on our Maxima could really use this treatment, too. Like you, though, I'm always scared to be the one who messes the job up somehow.

I'd like to hear from those who have done this to their headlights (whether using this 3M kit, or some other)...You're basically sanding-away a bit of the plastic. Aren't you introducing microscopic scratches into the surface? Just how long does the beautiful clear finish last before it starts to fog-over again as dirt and grime fills the scratches?
Old 07-31-2009, 03:15 PM

I used PlastiX refinisher and it cleans them up, I do it every few months
Old 07-31-2009, 03:24 PM

yeah Plastix is nice just used it the other day and I forgot how great they can look. Definately fool proof... no sanding. The only drawback is it is like coverup you need to keep applying it every so often. While on the other hand wet sanding's effects would last alot longer.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:49 PM

I ordered a "Blue Ice Headlight Lens Restorer Kit Deluxe" off of ebay. I think it was about $35.00 a while ago. It includes more stuff than you need, but I liked that you got double sets of chemicals and sand paper for multiple cars. The manufacturer's website is www.HeadlightCare.com

Included: Cleaner, leveler, sealer, 6 grades of sandpaper from 400 grit to 2000, buffing bonnet, foam bonnet, drill attachment, masking tape, spray bottle, microfiber cloth, and illustrated guide. How can you go wrong with all that stuff!

I skimped out and hand-buffed instead of using the drill. I haven't done any power buffing, and it looked like it would use a lot more compound. I removed the headlights so I could work indoors (winter) and really buff vigorously and I was quite pleased with the results. It's kind of fun wet-sanding them to an opague fog and then gradually polishing them back to a clear sparkle. I didn't quite get the new-car look but got real close. 95% better! I've done two cars so far, and haven't come close to using the first set of chemicals and sand paper.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:18 PM

get turtle wax headlight restorer at you local zone. worked great for me. i had tried plastX also, but hated having to reapply it all the time

edit:disregard the cloudy light in my sig, thats before i used the treatment. ill try to find an after pic
Old 07-31-2009, 08:39 PM

I have done mine a couple of times over my ownership and my lens still look brand new.

my process was - I started with 800 grit wet sand paper and a small pan of warm water with just a few drops of Dawn dish detergent to help keep the wet sand paper from clogging, use mild pressure and long strokes across the entire lens, the 800 grit will remove deep scratches and small stone chips. I then moved to 1000 grit wet sand paper and repeated the same process wash down the lens and then moved to 1500 grit again same process nice long strokes making sure the lens and paper stay wet, wiped everything down one last time and then used 2000 grit wet sandpaper long strokes are key and only in one direction no going up and down and then back and forth. wash down the lens and dry off. the lens at this point will be super smooth but will look like crap all cloudy, use Mequiar's Plast X and a sponge pad applicator rub in the Plast X really well to polish up the lens, if you have a polisher you may wish to use it to really buff up the crystal clear lens that you now have.