5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Headlights went out

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 07:37 PM

Headlights went out

My headlights went out, brights still work. Overwhelmed with info. I heard I its a dealer part so I have to get it through the dealer. Does the 5.5 come with hids stock? Should I just buy new headlights? I like angel eyes, just dont know anything about them.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:54 PM

The 5.5 headlamp does come with stock xenon lights.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:01 PM

Its stock HID, and expensive to replace.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:26 PM

your probably better off going to an aftermarket HID kit....The nissan xenon kit is gonna cost a pretty penny.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Tee00Max
your probably better off going to an aftermarket HID kit....The nissan xenon kit is gonna cost a pretty penny.
What do you recommend? Are ebay headlights garbage?
Old 08-24-2009, 11:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Both headlamps went out?? What diagnostics have you done? Have you checked your fuses? Look at the FSM link in my signature and go through the headlamp diagnostics.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by unrealii
Both headlamps went out?? What diagnostics have you done? Have you checked your fuses? Look at the FSM link in my signature and go through the headlamp diagnostics.
Theyve been out since I bought the car. I didnt notice until the night after I bought it. The dealer didnt want anything to do with it...

Ill check the link
Old 08-25-2009, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by YoungLee
Theyve been out since I bought the car. I didnt notice until the night after I bought it. The dealer didnt want anything to do with it...

Ill check the link
Did you buy the car from the dealer? If so then they can not sell you a car without working headlights as it is obviously a safety issue and they would have to take care of the problem or have a big lawsuit on hand. If you bought it through a private party then your going the right step looking at alternatives. Too bad you didnt check them out before you bought.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:23 AM

I thought hids never die
Old 08-25-2009, 09:52 AM
I love lamp.

Originally Posted by jasonmax
I thought hids never die
Uh they can die just like any light bulb.

S
Old 08-25-2009, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by 94maxteamrtv
Did you buy the car from the dealer? If so then they can not sell you a car without working headlights as it is obviously a safety issue and they would have to take care of the problem or have a big lawsuit on hand. If you bought it through a private party then your going the right step looking at alternatives. Too bad you didnt check them out before you bought.
I bought it through a dealer.

So what should I get?
Old 08-25-2009, 10:55 AM

Take it back to them and tell them they cannot sell you a car that wont pass inspection and to fix the problem. How long ago did you but it? 30-90 day warranty?
Old 08-25-2009, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by 94maxteamrtv
Take it back to them and tell them they cannot sell you a car that wont pass inspection and to fix the problem. How long ago did you but it? 30-90 day warranty?
I bought it late june. I have a 12 month warranty through a different company that also blows. I told the manager they lights were out and you gave me the your bad you didnt notice before you bought it look. I try not to deal with them anymore, im paying the bank, the managers a pansy i almost made him do something about it the old fashioned way.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by unrealii
The pdfs looks like theyre written in chinese to me
Old 09-03-2009, 05:44 AM

If it's both light, then check to make sure a fuse of some sort isn't blown. This might sound stupid, but check to make sure you even have ballast and/or D2R bulbs in the headlamps. If not, then get a HID kit on ebay for the ballast and OEM D2R bulbs. You'll need some adapters.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:15 PM

my right side bulb just blew out. are they hard to replace? anyone know what bulb it is?
Old 09-07-2009, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by YoungLee
I bought it late june. I have a 12 month warranty through a different company that also blows. I told the manager they lights were out and you gave me the your bad you didnt notice before you bought it look. I try not to deal with them anymore, im paying the bank, the managers a pansy i almost made him do something about it the old fashioned way.
Got a lawyer? Have the lawyer give the dealer( owner/president) a courtesy call...I guarantee they will fix it then...As someone else stated it has to pass the state safety inspection to leave a dealership lot!
But in the mean time check you fuses and and relays, and make sure the ballast are actually connected with the connector..if so check you HID bulb plug for power...Be careful! No way both headlights went bad at the sametime!
Old 09-10-2009, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by CMax03
Got a lawyer? Have the lawyer give the dealer( owner/president) a courtesy call...I guarantee they will fix it then...As someone else stated it has to pass the state safety inspection to leave a dealership lot!
But in the mean time check you fuses and and relays, and make sure the ballast are actually connected with the connector..if so check you HID bulb plug for power...Be careful! No way both headlights went bad at the sametime!
Please dont laugh, but how do I check the fuses and relays? Ballast? How do I check the HID bulb plug for power? I know my age is showing, but ive never had to do this **** before and I wanna diy and save some money.

For instance, Im looking at the CONSULT-II inspection procedure. It says connect "CONSULT-II" and the "CONSULT-II CONVERTER" to the data link connector. This has me confused, is this something that is separate from the max used to read codes/diagnose the problem?

From what I understand, since neither headlamp low beam operates, it could be a 10A fuse, Lighting Switch, or smart entrance control unit. To determine if its a 10A fuse, Im supposed to check 10A fuse, and verify battery positive voltage is present at terminal 49 of smart entrance control unit. Again, how do I do this? I dont even know where this is. To determine if its the Lighting Switch, Im supposed to check the Lighting Switch, then to determine if its the smart entrance control unit, check the smart ECU. Should I disconnect the battery before doing this? Am I right that these three possible causes are the only possible causes, besides dead hids? This is probably easier than Im making it out to be, but Im a noob whos never had to diy before.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Start with the basics:
Check fuses
Check relays
Check to that bulbs are connected
Look for damage to wiring
Use a multimeter to probe the wires and make sure +12v and ground power is connected

Use the service manual to understand the schematic of the headlights. These are all simple tasks which you can google to find assistance on how to carry out. If these are too difficult, you are better off paying a mechanic or bribing a local org'er with beer.

Last edited by unrealii; 09-10-2009 at 11:38 PM.