5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

White Smoke Under My Hood at Startup???

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 10:49 PM

White Smoke Under My Hood at Startup???

Okay so ive been having a odd problem im not sure whats going on and it seems to only happen when it wants to but sometimes when i start my car up in the morning i get white smoke under the hood for about 5-10 minutes and then it just goes away... im wondering if this is a problem and should i be worried?

im also wondering what it could possibly be.

like for instance today after not parking in the garage for a few days i left it at a NYC public/pay garage over nite for 2 days and when i took it out today and went outside at nite i noticed smoke coming from the engine/manifold area but i cant really put my foot on what it might be.. after 10 minutes its gone. and its very very hard to demonstrate it infront of a mechanic cause by the time my car is decently warmed up it no longer shows up.

please help what could this be ?

i thought it might be the sweat from my AC pipe (which is on the left of my engine bar (starring at the car from the front dead on) since i dont have any insulant around that metal tube... but i dont think that would be it if the car is off for 2 nights and i first start it up and get the white smoke... (smh) what gives?

Last edited by dewd; 09-03-2009 at 10:53 PM.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:28 PM

Could be a slow oil leak from the valve cover. That would explain why it only smokes after sitting for a while
Old 09-04-2009, 04:46 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Isnt white smoke normally antifreeze???
Old 09-04-2009, 05:25 AM

Oil doesn't burn white. Check ur coolant level and check for leaks. Let the car sit for a while so a slow leak can build up...
Old 09-04-2009, 02:47 PM

Oil definitely burns white, it's just blue out the tailpipe. Go light some on fire and enjoy.
Old 09-04-2009, 03:52 PM

Oil burning on the manifold will appear white.

So you could have a leak somewhere. Hearing about all the notoriety of the Valve covers on these things it may be a place to start.

You could also have a leak in the PCV valve tubbing. Oil blowing out and burning and then when things warm up it may seal when things expand. Sometimes it could even look like smoke when coming out of a PCV hose without burning.

Keep us up to date.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:59 PM

STUPID!
Old 09-04-2009, 06:06 PM

okay. well it did NOT do it today at all!

at all!

and for the most part i can go like 5-6 and sometimes 7 days out of the week without smoke but once in a while bam i get smoke on startup for about 5-10 minutes then things go back to normal. it kinda smells like maybe rubber or oil but i can barely figure out the smell.. my car makes plenty of diffrent smells outside from gas smell to rubber when i drive for a very long time to wierd steamy smell to rubber again lol. but the thing is ive driven a few friends maximas and my maxima is the most steady calm one it barely rumbles or virates compated to theres and when i hit the gas mines is alot more quieter than theyre cars.. yet they say they cant ever remember having smoke from under theyre hood without it being winter or something... me on the other hand, i get it on random days winter/summer/spring any time... its pretty bugged out and definately bugging me out!

anyone with any other suggestions ?

should i take it to nissan? it would just hurt to pay since my car runs 100% beautifully and my levels are all good i check and i normally try to monitor it and i never actually have to cap anything off with neither more oil or more antifreeze or brake fluid or any of that... i dont get it

but im still wondering if its a danger to drive like this,,,
Old 09-04-2009, 06:10 PM

also; i did notice it coming from either the left side or the back of the manifold/dash center wall where the radio would sit. around that area(under the hood of course, not in my car).. i thought it might be my power steering but you know what? when im turned all the way in my car my steering wheel doesnt vibrate yet in my friends cars maximas and altimas it feels like if u keep holding the wheel in a certain angle the virbation is going to blow up the hose.. its crazy.. what could be wrong and why am i actually skeptical yet worried
Old 09-04-2009, 06:29 PM

okay. i did a google search and this guy hasa subaru but described my exact same problem to the core.

not sure if i can link to THIS but please read it. thats my problem to the T except im in a maxima but i do smell gasonlione on some startups.. or maybe just notice on some.. but smoke is alot more rare for me than what this guy describes.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:48 PM

Headlight Fluid
Old 09-05-2009, 01:38 PM

opened the hood and find it. the hell we can tell just by reading.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by dewd
also; i did notice it coming from either the left side or the back of the manifold/dash center wall where the radio would sit. around that area(under the hood of course, not in my car).. i thought it might be my power steering but you know what?
please read.
ps- to make things more clearer its not coming form the side where my battery sits at all its more towards the back manifold/left side of the hood.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:29 AM

okay well today i didnt see smoke but it did smell like rubber at startup and i also noticed my power steering hose had fluid on it.. but its not like dripping, the hose just looks alittle greasy.

does the power stearing hose get alot of pressure to it at startup?

random mechcanic said whoever changed my oil filter or watever under the car last didnt close something up or screw something properly or something like that, could that be it aswell?
Old 09-08-2009, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by dewd
does the power stearing hose get alot of pressure to it at startup?

random mechcanic said whoever changed my oil filter or watever under the car last didnt close something up or screw something properly or something like that, could that be it aswell?
Hows the PS fluid level?

What exactly did the last mechanic did? Maybe you can try go back to that mechanic and explain to him what happen to your car...