5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Thinking of selling my 2002 max.. worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 08:17 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by nzelinsky
I wouldnt sell your maxima just because your chocked up about that repair bill. If she has nothing wrong, pay it off and keep modding. Maybe even sell the S2000 and Supercharge your maxima I'd take an s/c max over a t/c honda anything anyday...
i agree with this post

B
Old 09-09-2009, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by MidN1te
wow... you've given alot of thought to this lol...
i also agree with this post.

i kinda have. you can use the line "so what if you have 6 tvs, a PS3, XBOX360 and a Wii, 12000 watts and mini fridge, do you have a flux capacitor? No! then arent cool"

B
Old 09-09-2009, 08:25 AM

I wouldnt sell your maxima just because your chocked up about that repair bill. If she has nothing wrong, pay it off and keep modding. Maybe even sell the S2000 and Supercharge your maxima I'd take an s/c max over a t/c honda anything anyday...
well... i guess it would be a different story if this was a 6 speed... But because the Auto's have too many problems that i've seen and encountered on both of my maxima's... including the vq drinking oil like its Soju...Supercharging the maxima with a front wheel drive setup vs a turbocharged rear wheel drive s2000, probably wouldnt do too well around the track which i like to do.....and so far.......*knocks on wood* this turbocharged s2000 is about 10 times more reliable than my maxima at this moment =/ AND not to mention cheaper to modify with FI.

Although i DID read that one guy who Turbo charged his maxima which had the vq and said he had no traction.. but was hella fun though lol...

you know.. i bet this car would be SO much more better with the 5 speed from a 6th gen... can that work!? lol
Old 09-09-2009, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by NissanMan97
i also agree with this post.

i kinda have. you can use the line "so what if you have 6 tvs, a PS3, XBOX360 and a Wii, 12000 watts and mini fridge, do you have a flux capacitor? No! then arent cool"

B
I actually LOL'd at that hahahahaha
Old 09-09-2009, 08:41 AM

really big side note: can you put the 6spd MT on the 3.0L? im sure there are all kinds of threads about it and crap but i dont want to search. just say no or yes with you opinion on the level of difficulty
I'm not a mechanic, I'm just your friendly neighborhood software consultant.

However I'm fairly sure the answer is a big "no".
Old 09-09-2009, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Rochester
I'm not a mechanic, I'm just your friendly neighborhood software consultant.

However I'm fairly sure the answer is a big "no".
thats what I figured and im only a data processor/MA instructor/powerwasher

B
Old 09-09-2009, 08:53 AM

Rochester, with your mods... what do you say your car is making HP wise? and how fast in the 0-60 1/4 ?
Old 09-09-2009, 09:08 AM

really big side note: can you put the 6spd MT on the 3.0L? im sure there are all kinds of threads about it and crap but i dont want to search. just say no or yes with you opinion on the level of difficulty

B
Yes. 8/10 difficulty. Not for the average shadetree mechanic.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:31 AM

Rochester, with your mods... what do you say your car is making HP wise? and how fast in the 0-60 1/4 ?
I have no idea what-so-ever. Stock for '03 was 255 hp and 15.0 flat.

If I had to guess, it's somewhere around 280+ hp and 14.0. (Add 10hp to that in about 2 weeks, when my spacers get installed!) But to be honest, and no offense intended, I really don't care. I realize there are a huge contingent of forum members who thrive on numbers, but as long as my butt-dyno is happy, then I'm good.

I don't track. And it's very, very rare that I find myself in an impromptu drag race. Getting too old for that behavior. The booster in the back seat is a dead giveaway to other priorities.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:40 AM

I havent heard of any major problems with the autos... slipping? just do a DR mod for like $10 or the transgo shift kit $100... easy fix. I have an auto and at first I regretted not buying a 6mt, but I love my car and even though its auto its a blast to drive. Besides, with an auto you have the added advantage that most opponents cant shift thier mt properly and you take them on a shift when you are pinned to the floor.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:53 AM

I havent heard of any major problems with the autos... slipping? just do a DR mod for like $10 or the transgo shift kit $100... easy fix. I have an auto and at first I regretted not buying a 6mt, but I love my car and even though its auto its a blast to drive. Besides, with an auto you have the added advantage that most opponents cant shift thier mt properly and you take them on a shift when you are pinned to the floor.
^^^ Thats me in that manual car. I just start driving MT maxima less than 2 months ago. I must say driving in the MD/DC/VA area during rush hour is no fun. But I still don't regret buying it.

MidN1te - if you are selling your maxima, what are you going to drive during winter??
Old 09-09-2009, 10:02 AM

dude its not that hard, its basically the x-mas light that look like they chase each other in rubber tubbing, in a box with a glass front. how hard can that be

but how cool would it look?

B

You know, you can always just buy one - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001M5PTQM

But it's probably better (and cheaper) to make one, and I'm sure you could probably make it look much better.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Flux-Capacitor/

Heck, figure out how to make rope-lights move and you have half the project right there!

Here is a light controller that might work - http://www.wwbw.com/Elation-Light-Sa...b-000423bb4e79

Or, if you really want to geek out:

http://blog.wensheng.com/2008/11/sup...christmas.html

Of course, you're going to need some plutonium to generate the 1.21 gigawatts......or a bolt of lightning!

Old 09-09-2009, 10:13 AM

what state are you in? I maybe interested in buying if you are close to the chicago area.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:37 AM

If I had to guess (even a guy with a stock 6mt landed a 14.0 here so with your mods 13s could be possible even though it would be hard), it's somewhere around 280+ hp and 14.0. (Add 10hp to that in about 2 weeks, when my spacers get installed!) But to be honest, and no offense intended, I really don't care. I realize there are a huge contingent of forum members who thrive on numbers, but as long as my butt-dyno is happy, then I'm good.
your 1/4 time may be right, however, the HP number is very much off. In regards to WHP, I'd say you would be around ~220whp. Stock these cars have around 205-210whp...the 255 advertised number was overinflated. Even the guys with ALL the bolt ons on their 5.5 6mt's arent making 280whp with stock internals. However, with headers and everything else 250-260whp is more easily attainable providing your car is running good.

I know the full cattman exhaust (headers back) really woke up my car . Even stock it moved nice. My dad loves driving my car esp. now that I raised it up 3".

6 forward gears > 4 forward gears

Btw, Rochester, we have almost identical cars...both sheer silver with frost fabric. I had to get the sunroof though...its a must for me.

Last edited by pbn85; 09-09-2009 at 10:39 AM.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by pbn85

6 forward gears > 4 forward gears
Constant WOT > Letting off the gas (however fast you may be)
Old 09-09-2009, 10:46 AM

Constant WOT > Letting off the gas (however fast you may be)
to each his own but...

downshifting > ?

Old 09-09-2009, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by qstick777
You know, you can always just buy one - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001M5PTQM

But it's probably better (and cheaper) to make one, and I'm sure you could probably make it look much better.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Flux-Capacitor/

Heck, figure out how to make rope-lights move and you have half the project right there!

Here is a light controller that might work - http://www.wwbw.com/Elation-Light-Sa...b-000423bb4e79

Or, if you really want to geek out:

http://blog.wensheng.com/2008/11/sup...christmas.html

Of course, you're going to need some plutonium to generate the 1.21 gigawatts......or a bolt of lightning!

it would be a LOT cheaper to make one but thanks for the links!

im gonna concentrate on getting a Max first

B
Old 09-09-2009, 11:14 AM

your 1/4 time may be right, however, the HP number is very much off. In regards to WHP, I'd say you would be around ~220whp. Stock these cars have around 205-210whp...the 255 advertised number was overinflated. Even the guys with ALL the bolt ons on their 5.5 6mt's arent making 280whp with stock internals. However, with headers and everything else 250-260whp is more easily attainable providing your car is running good.
No argument from me. Like I said, I'm happy if the butt-dyno is happy.

Btw, Rochester, we have almost identical cars...both sheer silver with frost fabric. I had to get the sunroof though...its a must for me.
Pretty much. You went with headers, I've got Catt's y-pipe. You lowered your car, and I like sitting high. You've got front/rear lips, and I prefer the stock look.

You say tom-aye-toe and I say to-mah-toe, and we both have awesome cars! If you lived near Rochester, I'd look you up. As it is, I feel pretty alone here in Upstate NY.

[edited] Actually, I just noticed you had Maxima of the Month at some point. That's a pretty cool recognition, and means you're ride has lots more going for it than my daily driver. Very cool for you.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:30 AM

No argument from me. Like I said, I'm happy if the butt-dyno is happy.

Pretty much. You went with headers, I've got Catt's y-pipe. You lowered your car, and I like sitting high. You've got front/rear lips, and I prefer the stock look.

You say tom-aye-toe and I say to-mah-toe, and we both have awesome cars! If you lived near Rochester, I'd look you up. As it is, I feel pretty alone here in Upstate NY.

[edited] Actually, I just noticed you had Maxima of the Month at some point. That's a pretty cool recognition, and means you're ride has lots more going for it than my daily driver. Very cool for you.
thank you sir...however right now my car looks more stockish...took off the lips and sold them (front and rear) and my car is not low at all now...theres a 2 finger gap. Dogding potholes can get old, quick. So yea...looks pretty stock now But that's what I wanted.

You should most definitely make it to maxus '10
Old 09-09-2009, 11:39 AM

If I had to guess, it's somewhere around 280+ hp and 14.0. (Add 10hp to that in about 2 weeks, when my spacers get installed!) But to be honest, and no offense intended, I really don't care. I realize there are a huge contingent of forum members who thrive on numbers, but as long as my butt-dyno is happy, then I'm good.

I don't track. And it's very, very rare that I find myself in an impromptu drag race. Getting too old for that behavior. The booster in the back seat is a dead giveaway to other priorities.

Oh ok gotcha...
Old 09-09-2009, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by The6spdMax
^^^ Thats me in that manual car. I just start driving MT maxima less than 2 months ago. I must say driving in the MD/DC/VA area during rush hour is no fun. But I still don't regret buying it.

MidN1te - if you are selling your maxima, what are you going to drive during winter??
well.. it doesnt snow much around here.. and it does.. its minima.. i have had my s2000 for over 2 years and 2 winters and i had all seasons and with the rear's limited slip, i've been abel to drive around to work and back no problem..

and now that i can work to the train station, its even better lol...
Old 09-09-2009, 11:41 AM

thank you sir...

Your very welcome. I'm planning on Maxus2010. Myself, my wife and another couple have made plans for a weekend in NYC. My buddy and I will attend Maxus on Saturday, while the girls go shopping downtown. Should be fun.

There are more than a few cars here that I'd like to see. As well as a few screen names that it would be neat to look up and say "hi". I'll be the guy wandering around looking like a lost, suburban dad.

pbn85, you need a new sig image.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by cmax1
what state are you in? I maybe interested in buying if you are close to the chicago area.
yeaaaah.. i dont think i'm that close to you... i live near washington DC.

thats a pretty far drive i think.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:46 AM

I want to go so bad!!! but will not be able to

B
Old 09-09-2009, 12:24 PM

damn how far is chicago from here ... take the car! hahahah
Old 09-09-2009, 12:58 PM

damn how far is chicago from here ... take the car! hahahah

at least 10 hours drive?
Old 09-09-2009, 01:02 PM

wow... thats long lol
Old 09-09-2009, 01:10 PM

So this is your Honda? And that's your wife?

http://forums.maxima.org/washington-...-creation.html

Holy crap. Dude, keep the Honda.

Better yet, sell both cars and never leave the house.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:53 PM

HAHAHAHA HOW DID YOU FIND THAT?! i thought that was LONG lost!

Yea.. thats my S2000 and that's my wifey

I like to call them.. My babie with my baby

So you like?
Old 09-09-2009, 06:04 PM

both are beautiful..damn i now want an s2k..i think im too tall at 6'5" though i would have to have the top down and thats not realistic living in ny

So you like?
Old 09-09-2009, 06:10 PM

So you like?
I've always been fond of pretty, Asian cars.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by HotshotVQ35
both are beautiful..damn i now want an s2k..i think im too tall at 6'5" though i would have to have the top down and thats not realistic living in ny
I'm 6ft, and my tallest s2k friend is 6'6'' and he doesnt have toooo much of a problem.. he took out the oem seat rails and installed the lower ones.. yeep! they do makem for folks such as yourself!

the only grip i have is s2k's dont have torque to turn a screw...the speed is there, just not noticeable...

i had a HUGE problem going from my first maxima to an s2k... so i turboed my s2k... sold the turbo... missed it.. went back to turbo lol
Old 09-09-2009, 06:24 PM

I've always been fond of pretty, Asian cars.
you know wat's funny... I'm half korean, half irish....and i NEVER thought asian girls were pretty until i was around 20 when i first got to my first duty station in the army... that was washington State... just like california, the west coast was the first place asians chilled...

SOOOooo many of them... and then i was like.. hnnmmmm... i wonder if its true about what they say on asian girls..... ching-kwa hahahahaa...
Old 09-09-2009, 06:25 PM

nice ride... I have my eye on a 02 se with 108 on the ticker and she runs like a champ so far. The dealer only wants 5500 for it and its fully loaded so I am suspect if something is wrong with the car for that price..
Old 09-09-2009, 06:46 PM

you know wat's funny... I'm half korean, half irish....and i NEVER thought asian girls were pretty until i was around 20...
Uh huh. I was 20 once. And now I'm not anymore. Weird how that happens. (Maybe that's why my ride is a 4dr sedan, but with a stick and performance mods.)

Anyway, you're the one asking for advice... so, get rid of the Maxima. Reduce your debt, and improve your cash flow. Enjoy the Honda. Drive it often and hard, because it's just a car and it's a lot of fun.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:53 PM

did i miss something? or offend you?

i'll be 30 in june... its catching up to me lol
Old 09-09-2009, 06:54 PM

the only thing i look forward to with age is knowing in abotu about 10 years i'll retire from the army hopefully lol
Old 09-09-2009, 07:08 PM

did i miss something? or offend you?

i'll be 30 in june... its catching up to me lol
Huh? No, no way, not at all. I'm very sorry that it reads that way. If I remember rightly, your car insurance might be significantly reduced when you turn 30.

Now you and your friends get off my lawn! No, wait, this is your thread...
Old 09-10-2009, 07:39 AM

soooo... the wifey said she likes the maxima too much... she said she likes the power and everything with it...she said she gets a kick when doods see her in the car and wanna race lol...

anyways... we decided since her lease is up on her 07 accord in february.. she'll just take the maxima and drive that and just pay that off and keep it...this is instead of buying another new car..

i'm hoping this car in her hands will last a long time.. because i keep wanting to floor the damn thing and everything when i drive it..

so i'll be looking for a 6 speed maxima later on and mod that for a nice daily..
Old 09-10-2009, 08:13 AM

So you've got an '07 Accord in the garage, too? MidN1te, it's difficult to get a handle on your equation... you keep changing the parameters!

Swapping the leased Accord for the Maxima is a good decision. Car leases are almost always a loss, unless you find yourself in the extremely rare scenario of a lease buyout that's under your residual value. It can happen, but it's rare.

Quick Reply: Thinking of selling my 2002 max.. worth it?