5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Tein SS Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 03:33 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

TEIN SS

Hey Perfectmax:

My 2003 had strange handling stock too. I bought it with 70,000 miles but it was like new. Sometimes it felt like it was teetering on the corners. It never lost grip but felt like it would. I got a set of TEIN SS coilovers and love them. You can definitely change the height to whatever you want. You get 2 wrenches with the kit and I think the weight has to be off the wheel to adjust. There are 8 dampening settings, mine is at 4 and rides a tad harsh (going over the Ben Franklin is rough) but I like a firm ride. Overall I've been surprised how comfy it is. No passengers have complained of the ride either. The only problem is it took me almost 2 months to get them when I ordered. Check around and verify they have them in stock. prostreetonline kept me hanging for like 7 weeks, brutal bad service too. These are discontinued too, so act fast! Hope this helps.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:55 PM

Found this interesting review on Tein SS Coilovers in an Acura forum. It's 3 years old, but certainly applies. I liked the perspective this guy brought to his review:

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=606689
Old 10-30-2009, 01:07 PM

BTW, in case anyone is interested, I researched the pronunciation. Apparently it's pronounced "tane" or "tain"; (pick your phonetic poison.)

It was bugging me reading something and not being sure how to pronounce it.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester
Apparently it's pronounced "tane" or "tain"; (pick your phonetic poison.)
No "apparently" required.
It's how it is pronounced in their video commercials on their website.

Cheers.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by SteveB123
No "apparently" required.
It's how it is pronounced in their video commercials on their website.

Cheers.
Thank you for that. You're right; the more appropriate adjective is, "evidently". Apparently, sometimes my internal thesaurus fails me. Apparently.

Grammar corrections from a guy with "sway bar bushes" in his sig... Priceless.

Last edited by Rochester; 10-30-2009 at 02:55 PM.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester
Thank you for that. You're right; the more appropriate adjective is, "evidently". Apparently, sometimes my internal thesaurus fails me. Apparently.

Grammar corrections from a guy with "sway bar bushes" in his sig... Priceless.
I didn't know anyone actually had sigs displayed! I find them very distracting.

Anyways.

I didn't rebushing it, I rebushed it. Quite common in other circles, perhaps not as much where American is spoken.

Now, if I could just decide to go top end, with the Tane () SS or low end but known comfortable (Progress/GR-2).

While saving for a house...

I know, I know...go big or go home. But triple the price.....
Old 10-30-2009, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by SteveB123
I didn't know anyone actually had sigs displayed! I find them very distracting.

Anyways.

I didn't rebushing it, I rebushed it. Quite common in other circles, perhaps not as much where American is spoken.

Now, if I could just decide to go top end, with the Tane () SS or low end but known comfortable (Progress/GR-2).

While saving for a house...

I know, I know...go big or go home. But triple the price.....
God help me, but I'm actually entertaining the purchase of coilovers. The expense is huge, but the more I read about them, the more intrigued I become.

As to you and I these last couple of posts... I can't make any sense out of what you just said. So I'm done. Check please.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:09 AM

yeah but based on what your saying pbn is if your gonna do it do it right, and why waste 1400 on tein when you should go all the way and spend 1700-1800 on the jic vips they have been proven to outdo the teins in all catagories. and to say you cant get a quality coilover set up for under a 1k is bs. i can tell you from personal experince that the bcs are of very good quality. and they were 920 shipped to my door. an being that i had both set ups( among numerous others) on MY car i think i can make that assesment. as far as the nex mabey they are a nice coilover i cant make a judgement , never had them. another thing i really like is that unlike with the teins you adj the perch which shortens the shock stroke. with the bcs you lower raise the lower mount so no matter how high or low the car is you keep the same shock stroke. which means longer shock life.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by maximumobsesion
yeah but based on what your saying pbn is if your gonna do it do it right, and why waste 1400 on tein when you should go all the way and spend 1700-1800 on the jic vips they have been proven to outdo the teins in all catagories. and to say you cant get a quality coilover set up for under a 1k is bs. i can tell you from personal experince that the bcs are of very good quality. and they were 920 shipped to my door. an being that i had both set ups( among numerous others) on MY car i think i can make that assesment. as far as the nex mabey they are a nice coilover i cant make a judgement , never had them. another thing i really like is that unlike with the teins you adj the perch which shortens the shock stroke. with the bcs you lower raise the lower mount so no matter how high or low the car is you keep the same shock stroke. which means longer shock life.

I agree with you except that PBN also stated that the BC's are of good quality also. everyone here has said nothing but good things for them along with NEX.

I haven't had any problems with my tein spring rates and they have been on my car for over a year and a half. Only thing i've had to do is just fix a damper that cost around $75 . so if anything does go wrong, you can easily get it repaired for cheap with tein. Most places don't do that for you.

The K-Sports are like that with adjusting the lower mount. Only thing is that that lower mount fell out for no reason multiple times. Which is why i don't believe in them anymore.

But, i would go for BC's second after my Tein's. nothing but good things there bro.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:35 AM

Anyone here with the SS have a FTB with the edfc unit? If so, what are you using and have you had any problems before with installation?
Old 05-29-2013, 04:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Tein coils

Hey guys im very new to this sight but i dont understand how you guys have tein ss (superstreets)? i called tein myself and they said for the 5th gen 00 to 03 can only have basic or street advanced! there is no option for camber plates or pillow ball top mounts cuz of the solid rear axle! unless they lied to me please let me know what you have to say! i ordered the street advanced which is the best they could offer me! i hope i didnt get F***ed over!
Old 05-29-2013, 04:28 PM
Banned

They used to have SS type for our cars with front camber plates and pillowballs
Old 05-29-2013, 07:53 PM

If you want to wait a couple of weeks I'm going to be selling my Tein Street Advanced Coilovers for $900. They have less than 1000 miles on them bought them brand new. They come with the stock springs 7kg front and 6kg rear and stiffer springs I bought 9kg front and 8kg rear.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Dam thats stupid! I want to have camber kits. and mine are coming in tomorrow! id rather have them brand new no offense!
Old 07-02-2014, 11:05 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

5.5th gen maxima coilovers

So I would love to get tein ss on my maxima 5.5 gen but they don't make them for that gen, so how would I go about that? Is there a conversion kit do I have to mod something?
Old 07-02-2014, 11:11 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Phantom-V
i have Tein SS on my 03 max and i love it.
How would I purchase the coilovers for 2003 nissan maxima? I have looked and they don't actually sell a product for the 5.5th gen. So how would I go about that? Which ones do you have? How were you able to get them into your car ?
Old 07-02-2014, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by rickymoon
How would I purchase the coilovers for 2003 nissan maxima? I have looked and they don't actually sell a product for the 5.5th gen. So how would I go about that? Which ones do you have? How were you able to get them into your car ?
Not to disappoint but that post was from 2009. There is a good chance that he may not answer depending on if he is still on the org. Another member may be able to help you though. I personally don't have experience with suspension on the 5/5.5th gen Maximas so I can't answer your question.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by rickymoon
someone correct me if I am wrong but

i think the thing is they relabeled and improved the TEIN SS to now TEIN Advance Street or something like that so just do some research to find what they are calling the once TEIN SS now.

At the end of the day yes you can still get TEIN coilovers for 5.5 gen, and actually better ones if I am not mistaken.