5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Is getting a extended warranty worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 03:02 PM

Is getting a extended warranty worth it?

I purchased a 02 se with 109k miles and it drives very nice. I do all my work myself so im just concerned about the engine and trans really. Is paying $800-1200 for like a 3 year 60k warranty worth it? I have a small note on it also for $120 month.

Last edited by cmax1; 09-20-2009 at 03:05 PM.
Old 09-20-2009, 05:05 PM

IMO, no it's not worth if you are doing the work yourself. But like I said that's just my thoughts....
Old 09-20-2009, 05:16 PM

yea i think it all depends... its kind of a yes and no thing... like said before if u are mechanically inclined then no, but for things like oil pan, trans and all the major things that can be a headeache its best passed on to the dealer lol... then again the $$$ you pay monthly can also be passed on to any mechanic to fix the problem... depending on how much you would pay i'd say no, save ya $$$
Old 09-20-2009, 05:42 PM

I could just pocket the $1200 and use that towards repairs and PM. The only engine I worked on this is simular to this engine is a 95 DOHC grand prix gtp. I had to replace the head gaskets and when I was done the car ran better than it did when I bought it.
Old 09-20-2009, 06:02 PM

yea, the first engine i've ever worked on is the VQ35... i say use the $1200 else where (cattman headers and exhaust maybe) lol
Old 09-20-2009, 06:02 PM

extended warranties or insurance is there for the company to make money. If they didnt make money then wouldnt be in business.

I never buy extended warranties or dont advise it unless I sell it.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:24 PM

You never know what's gonna happen. I bought my '01 in November, the wife took it to Florida in March. She almost didn't make it home because the tranny took a crap. I DID buy the extended warranty, it was a 12mo/24K mile package. It has already paid for it's self buying this tranny. BTW, my Max had 97K on it when I bought it. I had a total of $365 out of pocket, the first $100 was my deductible, the other $265 was for an OEM clutch, pp, & T.O. bearing kit, since I didn't know if the clutch was the original or not, I went ahead and replaced it anyway.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:37 PM

Long Answer To Your Question

The only extended service plan you want to buy is one from the manufacturer of the vehicle. They have at least a vested interest in making sure you're provided proper coverage when you need it. They want you to be a satisfied customer so that you buy one of their vehicles down the road. The independent companies may not honor repair claims if their cash flow is in a bad position or are just plain out of money or can't get money to finance repair claims or they may have gone out of business since you signed on the dotted line.

Having been a factory parts and service representative, I can tell you I've seen the nightmare of people buying extended service plans that aren't from the manufacturer of the vehicle. The non-OEM extended service plan companies go out of business so frequently that it is absolutely unbelievable. Companies like US Fidelis, Mogi, and the many others that you see on television today are insurance brokers. They receive a commission from selling the extended service plans of several companies. Many of these companies go out of business and you're stuck without coverage that you paid for and in other instances the US Fidelis' of the world flip your policy to other companies when the original provider goes out of business and you don't even know until it's too late in some instances.

There are also situations when for instance you buy a Ford car and an independent's extended service plan from Joe Schmoe Ford. You're 400 miles away in your car and it breaks down and you end up at John Smith Ford for repairs. Now your car is no longer covered by the manufacturer's warranty but you were smart and bought the extended service plan that would cover the repairs you need. The only problem is that John Smith Ford doesn't honor the independent's extended service plan. Conversely, they are obligated to provide service for the Ford extended service plans.

Don't let the dealer fool you either. Many dealers sell both the OEM extended service plans and the independent plans. The OEM plans usually cost you more. In my opinion it's worth the additional expense. Make sure you ask for the OEM extended service plan.

Dealers tend to make more money on the NON-OEM plans and that is why they sell them.

Also make sure of what is covered!!! If it doesn't say it is covered in the plans brochure then IT ISN'T COVERED. Don't take anybody's word for it. If it isn't in writing, walk away!

Should you buy one? That is dependent on how long you intend to own the car. How many miles you drive. Is it you're only means of transportation. Could you afford the cost of major repairs. Do you need a rental car if your car is down for repairs. How reliable is the car. Can you do repairs yourself. Remember, AN EXTENDED SERVICE PLAN IS REALLY JUST LIKE ANY INSURANCE POLICY, YOU MAY NEVER USE IT BUT IT IS NICE TO KNOW YOU ARE COVERED.

Last edited by Teddie18; 09-20-2009 at 07:43 PM.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:55 PM

I bought an extended warranty when I bought me 2002 GLE in Nov 07..even though the car only had 23,995 miles and was very well maintained (I even got all the service records when I bought the car). Having owned two Nissans prior and having TERRIBLE luck with transmissions (one automatic and one 5 speed) I opted for the extended warranty. Even though I can do all the work myself at my shop, why bother with it? I'd rather have the peace of mind that if the transmission does go that it would be taken care of. Of course, now my warranty is about to expire soon due to mileage. I'll almost guarantee that when the warranty expires everything's gonna go wrong (my fan blower intermittently makes noise, instrument cluster doesn't always light up at first in spots) but nothing is ever evident when I take it to the dealer, which is always the case. It's too bad I work for a Ford dealer and not a Nissan dealer, I'd pretty much rebuild the car under warranty haha. But it's all preference. It's not a bad idea to invest the money in case. Just my opinion though.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:21 AM

I agree if it is your only car and you use it on an everyday basis, then it might be a better idea to get it. However, if you have another car, or access to one; your wife, parents, etc) I wouldn't get it. You can use the other car until the repairs are done, yourself, or you can save for the out of pocket expenses.

Also, as also stated previously, if you plan on owning the car longer than the 3year period, or driving more than 60k. It wouldn't be worth it, IMO. For example let's say you need to replace the tranny (worse case scenario), you can get a used one for around $1000, give or take. The plan you are looking at is about that anyway. So you might as well just save that money to have in the bank just in case that does happen, instead of paying a company that money whether something happens or not.

But in the end that's on you, whether you need that security blanket or not.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:46 AM

Keep the money for something else... extended warranty on used car is usually a rip off IMO. WORST CASE you blow tranny or engine you can get a replacement for less than $1000 and replace it yourself... if you dont get the worst case then all is good right?
Old 09-21-2009, 08:42 AM

extended warranties are very sketchy. I heard that if you don't go to the dealership for regular maint. then you will void the extended warrenty. They want records. sooo if you work on your own car, like myself, then it wouldn't make sense to waste the money.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:07 PM

I had an extended Oem warranty...
Paid a good chunk of change for it when I bought the car with 58k on it from a lease return:
Transmission replaced at 92k with a brand new one, not rebuilt
Motor replaced at 100k
Gas pedal sensor
Driver window switches
Bose subwoofer
All cats replaced with engine including plugs and coolant which it needed anyway
Put in a new clutch while the tranny was being replaced for just the price of the clutch
New shifter boot console assembly because the stealership couldn't put back on the leather right so they ordered the whole assembly and gave it to me

I think that's about it... Was it worth the 12 or 1500$?
Umm what do u think???
Old 09-21-2009, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by D's036spd
I had an extended Oem warranty...
Paid a good chunk of change for it when I bought the car with 58k on it from a lease return:
Transmission replaced at 92k with a brand new one, not rebuilt
Motor replaced at 100k
Gas pedal sensor
Driver window switches
Bose subwoofer
All cats replaced with engine including plugs and coolant which it needed anyway
Put in a new clutch while the tranny was being replaced for just the price of the clutch
New shifter boot console assembly because the stealership couldn't put back on the leather right so they ordered the whole assembly and gave it to me

I think that's about it... Was it worth the 12 or 1500$?
Umm what do u think???
WOW obviously it was worth it for you. But what the hell did you do to that car to blow engine and transmission???!
Old 09-21-2009, 03:11 PM

Lol well the tranny was easy, just shift as fast as u can, keeping the gas on the floor! Ie... Power shift & pop ur synchro's... Engine is pretty easy too, just complain about oil consumption then when they check ur dipstick every 1000k suck a litre out! I hate the stealerships anyway so it's nice when they give something back!
All in all it was worth it for me, included the rental cars everytime as well!
Old 09-21-2009, 03:31 PM
It's business time.

I'm not going to speak about your situation but I will a little about mine. I bought my car with about 45k miles. When I got it I purchased a $1,200 extended warranty up to 100k. It paid for itself twice.

List of repairs under 100k:
  • Tranny rebuild
  • Immobilizer replaced
  • MAF replaced
  • Coils replaced (2)
  • Sway arm end-links (2)
  • Headlight harness fried

There are a few I'm missing but that alone is well over $2,000.

All this time I lived away from home either at school or otherwise without access to a garage or the necessary tools. The warranty came through.

There was no deductible and I never had to pay a diagnostic fee. Whoever says extended warranties are not worth the money must account for the occasions when they are. If I am the exception, so be it.