5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Who has a NWP VIAS block plate on their 5.5 gen?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 09:21 AM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by Rochester
I know reading back in this thread, that Scottwax is happy with his block plate, and his car is basically stock. The point is, give it a try. No harm done.
Pretty much. NWP block plate, GAB with K&N filter and a test pipe. Still really pleased with the block plate. The low end loss is very minimal and when I hit 3800 rpms on cold pavement at half throttle or better, the tires break loose again-which sort of sucks and is sort of cool because it shows a definite gain at that rpm and higher. No loss in mileage on my trip to Arizona and back, in fact, on the tank of gas that included a legal 80 mph in west Texas and 75 in New Mexico and Arizona, over 414 miles and an average speed of 79 mph, I got 26.3 mpg (doing the math, trip computer said 30.2), which is slightly better than the EPA rating of 26 and that isn't done at those speeds.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Scottwax
No loss in mileage on my trip to Arizona and back, in fact, on the tank of gas that included a legal 80 mph in west Texas and 75 in New Mexico and Arizona, over 414 miles and an average speed of 79 mph, I got 26.3 mpg (doing the math, trip computer said 30.2), which is slightly better than the EPA rating of 26 and that isn't done at those speeds.
Right on cue, Scott!

I'm glad you weighed in with these mileage observations now that you've had this going on for a few months. Thanks!
Old 03-11-2010, 03:36 PM

today I tried driving at 3k and up the whole way to work and home. I have to say I was very surprised with the kind of power you get in that range. I am not sure if a slight increase is worth it. It seems that I will keep shifting at 3000 to 3500 normally to save gas and I know don't mod if you want to save gas but its something I need to consider. I don't mean to play devils advocate but to me it seems as if the low end is important and I feel it is lacking as it is. I'm thinking this mod just might not be worth it on a stock car.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:20 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by KJS2023
today I tried driving at 3k and up the whole way to work and home. I have to say I was very surprised with the kind of power you get in that range. I am not sure if a slight increase is worth it. It seems that I will keep shifting at 3000 to 3500 normally to save gas and I know don't mod if you want to save gas but its something I need to consider. I don't mean to play devils advocate but to me it seems as if the low end is important and I feel it is lacking as it is. I'm thinking this mod just might not be worth it on a stock car.
The loss between 2800-3800 isn't that noticeable to me and just driving around normally I don't even notice it. I haven't noticed any lose in gas mileage just putting around at low rpms.

BTW, a VQ35 isn't going to be a gas sipper no matter how you drive it.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:31 PM
DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS MEMBER - OWES PEOPLE MONEY

This is not a purely "daily driver" "gas saver" mod... You gain a good deal of power midrange/topend at a loss in bottom end, this is normal for performance mods.

I can honestly say I've noticed no difference in gas mileage.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:36 PM

Like Scott I really haven't noticed that much of a power lose, although I am sure there is one but it has to be very slight. As for fuel consumption, before I removed the VIAS and had the block off plate installed my fuel consumption was 9.9 ltr per 100 km ... after having the block off plate install the first week my consumption changed to 9.2 ltr per 100 km and that was with me stomping on the pedal every chance I got like any new mod one tends to be a bit more aggressive with their habits. Now the install was done back just before the winter months and like most fuel consumption sucks during the winter, however mine actually improved further as my current consumption level is 8.7 ltr per 100 per km ... so for me a very slight lose in low end power and a very nice improvement in fuel consumption makes this mod worth every penny.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:53 PM

NOOB ALERT!

Where is everyone buying this? All this talk about the mod and not one link.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:04 PM

6MT - Daily Driver...

Have had the block off plate installed before it became "cool" and NWP started to sell them. No complaints.

Purchased mine from a fellow org member almost 3 years ago. Can't recall his name/username.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by glockfanbob
NOOB ALERT!

Where is everyone buying this? All this talk about the mod and not one link.
As I stated in previous post, I bought mine from fellow org member, but here is where everyone is getting theirs...

http://www.nwpengineering.com/Phenolic_Spacers.html
Old 03-12-2010, 07:56 PM

so in my continued research on the vias vs delete I found something interesting on vqpower.

VIAS fix
VIAS stands for Variable Intake Air System. It is made up of a power rod going through your intake manifold that holds a series of butterfly valves. A solenoid turns the rod at 5000 rpm to open the valves to allow the engine to breathe better. Nissan VIAS video link.

The VIAS system is 100% of the reason 5th gen maximas have higher horsepower than 4th gen. All the 4th gen guys lust after VIAS intakes and buy them when they can.

However, the VIAS has a design problem - an extremely weak connection in the internal linkage that is destined to fail in 100% of 5th generation Maximas. You lose about 30 horsepower at the top end as a result. I didn't know what I was missing until I got those ponies back!

The good news is that it is very easy to fix - about 20 minutes of wrenching plus waiting for the JB weld to set. $5 for 30 HP - good deal! I took mine apart and fixed no problem. Here's how:

This is the VIAS solenoid unit. It is on the drivers' side of the intake manifold. Even if the solenoid works properly when you hit 5000 RPM, your internal linkage is still either broken or soon will be. The solenoid mechanism is held on with four very soft yet quite stuck screws. One of the screws is blocked by the throttle body.
link:
http://www.vqpower.com/v2/articles.php?article_id=21

Now I know this would not solve the issue of airflow by the vias staying intact but could this be the reason we all look for more power in the higher rpm? Is the vias system really just not working to its full potential in our cars? I would love to find someone who had done this already and then has gone to the vias delete. The comparison between the 2 if anything will be very interesting to hear to say the least.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:02 PM

so in my continued research on the vias vs delete I found something interesting on vqpower.

link:
http://www.vqpower.com/v2/articles.php?article_id=21

Now I know this would not solve the issue of airflow by the vias staying intact but could this be the reason we all look for more power in the higher rpm? Is the vias system really just not working to its full potential in our cars? I would love to find someone who had done this already and then has gone to the vias delete. The comparison between the 2 if anything will be very interesting to hear to say the least.
It's not very interesting since it is the VQ30 they are referring to, not the VQ35. Different VIAS...
Old 03-12-2010, 08:19 PM

well crap..... I thought I had something there for a minute....nvm
Old 03-13-2010, 08:25 AM

Zelinski is enthusiastic about his Maxima. (Aren't we all?) Don't take it personally. I think the MPG info is good to know.

Group hug, guys.

Yeah, I'm pleased with all the good feedback, too. I am definitely doing the VIAS-delete when Winter is over. And I'll be buying Aaron's nicely polished plate. That, and his Torque Link.

Until then, it's something to look forward to when the snow tires come off.
I hope Aaron is paying you for this advertising.

For those who want to do it themselves it takes 30 minutes to take the plate off, cut the butterfly valve and housing off the plate with a hack saw, pop a bolt and nut in the hole, and put the plate back on.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:41 AM
Toolie

Originally Posted by nismopc
6MT - Daily Driver...

Have had the block off plate installed before it became "cool" and NWP started to sell them. No complaints.

Purchased mine from a fellow org member almost 3 years ago. Can't recall his name/username.

did you buy the ssim at the same time? it might be one of mine
Old 03-13-2010, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Wheelie King

For those who want to do it themselves it takes 30 minutes to take the plate off, cut the butterfly valve and housing off the plate with a hack saw, pop a bolt and nut in the hole, and put the plate back on.
I did this but with-out the bolt... Got too **** that it would fall into my lower i/m and possibly worse...... Just forced a slightly larger bolt in the hole and covered with some heatproof sealent to block off any leaks. None till now.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:44 AM

I shift at 2000-2500 to save gas.... I usually avg 300+mpg city shifting at 2.. When i first got my car I shifted at 3 and avg'd about 240-260. Big difference in all honesty.

Old 03-13-2010, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Wheelie King
Well, he sent me a NWP t-shirt last year when I bought his phenolic spacers... does that count?

Seriously, does it read like I'm expecting anything? I'll be buying his block plate in a couple months, just like everyone else.
Old 03-13-2010, 05:24 PM
Toolie

i didn't get a t-shirt
Old 03-13-2010, 06:24 PM

i got the block off plate and the spacers and ohh man their sweet together u feel the car pull lik a ****...also got his toqrue link...very impressive with motor mount inserts...next im doing the 4$ washer mod =)
Old 03-13-2010, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by knight_yyz
did you buy the ssim at the same time? it might be one of mine
No I did not.

Whoever this guy was, he was making them for the org members. It was new. I think I only paid like $25 shipped. Awesome deal for the results...
Old 03-13-2010, 08:54 PM

I cut a clear piece of plexiglass, filed the edges, cut 3 holes and used it as a plate. It was easy and cost about $6. I kept it on for a few weeks and over 400 miles. It worked fine but I eventually replaced it.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:05 PM

Looking forward to reading that.
Well I had a little present waiting for me when I got home today so I installed it on my nice hot engine. Only got burnt a couple of times. Since our last conversation I've installed a Greddy Evo2 cat back and am running snorkel-less due to a botched CAI install.

I've only had a couple of test runs so far but here's my initial impressions:

Bottom end definitely lags. But from midrange and up the motor becomes an animal. WOT shifting does go higher than before but that is a good thing. Plus so far the transmission seems to be behaving much better. I'll get more detail once I'm able to get on the freeway tomorrow.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Froggmann
Well I had a little present waiting for me when I got home today so I installed it on my nice hot engine. Only got burnt a couple of times. Since our last conversation I've installed a Greddy Evo2 cat back and am running snorkel-less due to a botched CAI install.

I've only had a couple of test runs so far but here's my initial impressions:

Bottom end definitely lags. But from midrange and up the motor becomes an animal. WOT shifting does go higher than before but that is a good thing. Plus so far the transmission seems to be behaving much better. I'll get more detail once I'm able to get on the freeway tomorrow.
You've modded your catback and intake, but you still feel a low-end lag? Is it a "lag" as in slower response time, or is it a perceived power loss?
Old 03-16-2010, 08:10 AM

You've modded your catback and intake, but you still feel a low-end lag? Is it a "lag" as in slower response time, or is it a perceived power loss?
It just doesn't pull like I'm used to. But then again I also read something on here about low end power loss due to the removal of the stock air box snorkel. I'm hoping that is all it is. Plus the snorkel-less air box whistles like a freaking turbo which is fun for about a day but gets annoying when you're trying to hop around traffic.

But as for the block off plate I can say it does help, currently the car has a nice power curve from about 3800 ish to redline.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:56 AM

It just doesn't pull like I'm used to. But then again I also read something on here about low end power loss due to the removal of the stock air box snorkel. I'm hoping that is all it is. Plus the snorkel-less air box whistles like a freaking turbo which is fun for about a day but gets annoying when you're trying to hop around traffic.
OK, well I'll be finding out for myself in April sometime.

My expectations are that with my SRI, phenolic spacers and the full Cattman exhaust, that the low-end loss will be negligible. We'll see.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:23 AM
Toolie

base timing advance will help the low end loss
Old 03-16-2010, 09:28 AM

^^^
So why haven't you deleted the VIAS yet, Knight? We know you can manufacture the block plate, and you've installed it on Ghost_54's car. And you certainly are sporting the mods to compensate for the low-end loss. What's up?
Old 03-16-2010, 10:18 AM

hey...did any AT guys install the block plate?
I read byrdman's review, but more opinions would be great? I'm thinking to jump on the band-wagon in April too!
Old 03-16-2010, 11:15 AM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by lake985
I read byrdman's review, but more opinions would be great? I'm thinking to jump on the band-wagon in April too!
Mine is a 4AT. As far as the low end loss goes, it seems to lessen somewhat after driving the car a while, I guess the ECU does adjust a bit for it. The loss isn't that big anyway, you tend to only notice it when accelerating low rpms for a second or two. Just press a little harder and make the transmission downshift.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:36 AM

Thanks for the info, Scott. I was just a little concerned since I plan on installing it along with a Berk intake (first performance upgrades I'm doing on the car...I know, I know, but better late than never). Looking forward to it!
Old 03-16-2010, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by knight_yyz
base timing advance will help the low end loss
Already timed to 17 btc. Had that done a couple of years ago. As it turned out my car was originally de-tuned.

Yea mine is an autotragic.

Mine is a 4AT. As far as the low end loss goes, it seems to lessen somewhat after driving the car a while, I guess the ECU does adjust a bit for it. The loss isn't that big anyway, you tend to only notice it when accelerating low rpms for a second or two. Just press a little harder and make the transmission downshift.
I did notice the car is now more eager to downshift and the dropoff isn't as drastic. Once I get the phonellic slavers I'm planning to get the car tuned so the computer has a better idea of what's being asked of it.

Last edited by Froggmann; 03-16-2010 at 11:45 AM.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:23 PM
Toolie

^^^
So why haven't you deleted the VIAS yet, Knight? We know you can manufacture the block plate, and you've installed it on Ghost_54's car. And you certainly are sporting the mods to compensate for the low-end loss. What's up?
i'm not sure how it will affect my tune. as soon as my broken bone in my hand has healed i plan to do some data logging and see if my tune is still good after the plate. The guy who tuned my car attempted to compensate for the vias opening and closing, you can see the small dips on the dyno at 3200 and 5800(i think thats right) so it just may screw upo my afr. I want to add bigger injectors and the bbmaf and the vias delete all at the same time so I can re dyno tune it all in one shot

Last edited by knight_yyz; 03-16-2010 at 12:26 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:49 PM

...phonellic slavers...

hehehe

I am thinking you meant phenolic spacers.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by nismopc

hehehe

I am thinking you meant phenolic spacers.
I'm pretty sure that was intentional, and Froggy was being funny. Otherwise, well the alternative is decidedly lame... so I'm going with it being a joke.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:38 PM

why are you hiding at that question you also shy over the net
Old 03-16-2010, 06:56 PM

good to hear the auto guys are reporting not much low end loss. shouldnt be too noticeable for a light 6 speed with spacers...
Old 03-16-2010, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
why are you hiding at that question you also shy over the net
Just covering my a$$ in case you guys thought it was a silly question lol...saw a lot of noobs get chewed out on here for that kinda thing. Plus some users were hating on AT on another thread. But thanks for the concern
Old 03-19-2010, 06:51 PM

Soooo yeah. I can't make my own threads for some reason so I figured I'd post in here.

I put on the NWP block plate and my car got slower than before. I ran 14.4@98 with the stock IM and with the plate I could do no better than a 14.8@96.

Now some of that might add up to poor driving, but the car actually feels slower than it did before. Do you need to unplug the battery and stuff too for this? I'm about to remove it after I give the track one more try.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:34 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by Roca Fella Bryan
Soooo yeah. I can't make my own threads for some reason so I figured I'd post in here.

I put on the NWP block plate and my car got slower than before. I ran 14.4@98 with the stock IM and with the plate I could do no better than a 14.8@96.

Now some of that might add up to poor driving, but the car actually feels slower than it did before. Do you need to unplug the battery and stuff too for this? I'm about to remove it after I give the track one more try.
Any temperature difference between runs? 2 mph down definitely means a power loss but kind of hard to say if you can attribute it to the block plate without knowing the conditions between runs.

My car is definitely faster, I have a place where I do a roll on from 20 mph (which minimizes wheelspin) and between the block plate, lower mileage precats and a test pipe, I've picked up 4 mph (86 to 90) in speed. No way to tell how much of that is from just the block plate, but from 3800 rpms and up the improvement was noticeable even before the precats and test pipe.

Last edited by Scottwax; 03-19-2010 at 09:39 PM.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:11 AM

Any temperature difference between runs? 2 mph down definitely means a power loss but kind of hard to say if you can attribute it to the block plate without knowing the conditions between runs.

My car is definitely faster, I have a place where I do a roll on from 20 mph (which minimizes wheelspin) and between the block plate, lower mileage precats and a test pipe, I've picked up 4 mph (86 to 90) in speed. No way to tell how much of that is from just the block plate, but from 3800 rpms and up the improvement was noticeable even before the precats and test pipe.
The temperature when I ran the 14.4@98 was around 49-53 degrees. I did a total of 11 runs that day because no one was at the track and I actually had trouble hooking up. Last night was the opposite. It was 53 degrees when I made my second pass (I was only able to do two). It seemed as if all of the low end power had vanished. Even slipping the clutch and gunning it from 2800rpm produced a terrible bog.

I did not unplug the battery, so I'll try that out today, but to say the least I was very disappointed with how the car was acting. A 6-speed 3.5 Maxima should trap better than 96 especially when my lowest trap last time was 97.02mph. Maybe the engine was heat soaked from waiting in the huge line to run or something, who knows.

My goal this year is to trap 100mph or better for the first time. LOL.

Last edited by Roca Fella Bryan; 03-20-2010 at 07:16 AM.

Quick Reply: Who has a NWP VIAS block plate on their 5.5 gen?