5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Moog swaybar end-links: are they _too_ big?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 04:00 PM

Moog swaybar end-links: are they _too_ big?

I've gone through two sets of Moog end links so far. First set, one of the links seized up (joint wouldn't rotate at all). This second set isn't physically bad yet, but the problem is that I have to tighten them ever so often (like once or twice a month). I know it's time to tighten if I hear/feel popping sounds or if the car is just "loud" going over rough crossings such as railroad tracks.

What's been on my mind is the clearance that these end-links have with the control arm; there's hardly any. This makes me wonder if this is the reason why they keep loosening their-selves...possibly 'cause they pivot against the control arm. Has anyone had this problem or issue?

PS: I torque them down to spec (about 40 ft-lbs) while on the ramps every time. I know I can just hit it with the impact/breaker but fear that might do more bad than good.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:47 PM
Demodded and Forgotten

Try tightening them without the load on the vehicle.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:07 PM

When I did mine I tightened them without the load of the vehicle.
I also agree that they are too big and I think that the cause of the clunking sound I hear, when going over speed bumps, is because of the minimal clearance between them and the LCA. The picture below shows the difference in size between the stock ones and the Moogs.

Edit: I've heard concerns from other org members because of how close they sit to the LCA.

Last edited by Nelsito65; 11-05-2009 at 06:52 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:10 PM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

the size is not a problem.. I have them and have no problem
Old 11-05-2009, 05:18 PM
Demodded and Forgotten

^^^^this
Old 11-05-2009, 05:22 PM

If they are both too big, I wouldn't think it would matter because it will just offset the position of the sway bar.

Also, you could try some loctite next time you tighten the bolts.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:31 PM

Unklejoe, I mean "big" in the sense that the ball joint & its enclosure is bigger; the offset from the top & bottom studs are the same as that of OEM end links.

For example, in Nelsito's picture above, the distance from the center of the bottom stud to the bottom of the link is greater on the Moog links.

So those of you who say they don't have a problem...are you saying:

A) They might be hitting the LCA, but it's not a major issue
or
B) They aren't hitting the LCA so there is no issue

As far as tightening while not under load, I was basing that off of what the FSM says about rubber suspension parts...but I guess since there is no "bushing" it doesn't apply.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:02 PM

Oh I see, that makes sense. I will be installing mine this weekend, so I'll post back if there's a problem.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:42 PM

Never had an issue out of mine. Perhaps they aren't installed correctly?
Old 11-05-2009, 07:14 PM

How often do you think these MOOG end-links need to be packed?

Age, or miles?
Old 11-05-2009, 07:22 PM
Suspension Yoda

They fit. No worries about the size. I've installed many many of them.

edit: When I tighten them (no load on the vehicle), I use a pry bar to 'raise' them off the control arm a bit. No noise.

Last edited by djfrestyl; 11-05-2009 at 07:26 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:34 PM
Play with my balls

I chose option B.

I would check the other variables of the suspension as well. There are many other components that might need addressing to pinpoint your issues.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:50 PM

Those endlinks are beefy as hell and have been installed o my car for close to 2 yrs no problems or noises! You may wanna check out your suspension out thoroughly there's something else going on....
Old 11-06-2009, 06:26 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Same here...

I've had them for over a year and havent touched them since. They fixed my clunking and have been quiet ever since.

If you think they are hitting the LCA, take a look for marks on the link and LCA where they would be hitting. I would think that it definitely would leave a mark on one of them if they were hitting.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by PulsarGTS
Never had an issue out of mine. Perhaps they aren't installed correctly?
How is that possible...after installation, the joints are sitting at perfect right angles, they're torqued to spec (while loaded), and they're fine/tight/quiet until they get loosened up. Where can I go wrong?

Originally Posted by Rochester
How often do you think these MOOG end-links need to be packed?

Age, or miles?
Probably just by visual inspection...so a combination of both really. You can easily peel the rubber insulator back to expose the actual ball joint & if it looks a little dry, throw some grease in there.

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
They fit. No worries about the size. I've installed many many of them.

edit: When I tighten them (no load on the vehicle), I use a pry bar to 'raise' them off the control arm a bit. No noise.
OK maybe I should try that.

Originally Posted by CMax03
Those endlinks are beefy as hell and have been installed o my car for close to 2 yrs no problems or noises! You may wanna check out your suspension out thoroughly there's something else going on....
Originally Posted by Deckdout2
I chose option B.

I would check the other variables of the suspension as well. There are many other components that might need addressing to pinpoint your issues.
Since you guys allude to something else being the problem, my steering/suspension has been fully upgraded except for the rack (which I think is bad), but doubt that it could contribute to end-link problems. What other variables can lead to these end links loosening their-selves if you've got new control arms, swaybar/subframe bushings, struts & mounts & bearings, and inner/outer tie rods?
Old 11-06-2009, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by kgallerie
Same here...

I've had them for over a year and havent touched them since. They fixed my clunking and have been quiet ever since.

If you think they are hitting the LCA, take a look for marks on the link and LCA where they would be hitting. I would think that it definitely would leave a mark on one of them if they were hitting.
I can't be sure that they're hitting the LCA....it was just a hypothesis on why they keep getting loosened. I'll try the suggestions listed (tighten with no load, use pry bar to raise 'em up a bit, usage of loctite) & see what happens but just was wondering what everybody else out there thought.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:51 AM
Suspension Yoda

What are you using to torque them down? Maybe you just need some more power to get them tighter. I zip them on with an impact gun.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:28 AM

Just a torque wrench set between 40-45 ft-lbs.

Some old references:
1) http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...end-links.html
Originally Posted by Matt_01SE_20th
I had the same problem with my MOOG end link. The ends are substantially larger than the stock ones. this causes the bar link to bind between the control arm and the stabilizer bar, instead of being free to rotate.
another thread, possibly of interest:
2) http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...izer-hole.html
Originally Posted by Love_00_Max
My front end clunks over speed bumps drives me nuts. I don't hear any noises on highways becoz the concrete highway noise masks any suspension noises. I installed MOOG endlinks and it was fine for a few months and then the sounds came -- it was never there when I had OEM links. I am going to check them out this weekend.

What a coincidence, I too must have had the MOOGs for a yr and the clunks are all over the place. Gladly I have the OEM links in the garage, I will put them back on the vehicle. I don't mind having a non-firm ride, but I just cannot deal with clunks, it really bothers me.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:21 AM
Play with my balls

Originally Posted by ridinwitha35
Since you guys allude to something else being the problem, my steering/suspension has been fully upgraded except for the rack (which I think is bad), but doubt that it could contribute to end-link problems. What other variables can lead to these end links loosening their-selves if you've got new control arms, swaybar/subframe bushings, struts & mounts & bearings, and inner/outer tie rods?
My driver's side axle is busted and my wheel bearings are shot. Have you replaced those or looked into that yet?
Old 11-06-2009, 11:10 PM

Check all your motor mounts please!....when worn it sounds like suspension components!
Old 11-07-2009, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by Deckdout2
My driver's side axle is busted and my wheel bearings are shot. Have you replaced those or looked into that yet?
Lucky you! But I haven't had any indication of a bad axle (boots are fine, no clicking) or bad bearing (no 12/6 o'clock looseness at wheel or growling).

Check all your motor mounts please!....when worn it sounds like suspension components!
I understand. But the problems I have also affect handling. Can bad mounts cause more than just a little vibration & abnormal sounds (of course for the non-extreme case)?

I don't want to get too far off in turning the thread into a fix-my-problem thread since I've got another one going already, but still curious to see what people say about their Moog end links loosening up after a while.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:58 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

+1 I thought my strut mounts needed to be replaced and it turned out the be the motor mounts. When they go bad they sound like a suspension problem. I also have the moog without any problems. Can't believe my mounts are worn out at 75000 miles. Geezzzzzz
Old 11-24-2009, 10:40 AM

It's pretty easy to tell if it's a stabilizer related problem, just disconnect a link and take it for a bumpy ride. If the noise is gone, it's stabilizer related. My 03 still clunks over bumps with new OEM bushings (both sides!) and two different sets of very tight aftermarket links haven't fixed it. If I do the above test, the noise goes away.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:48 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

They aren't too big, they are too awesome!
Old 08-03-2010, 08:40 AM

Bumping this up. I seem to have the same problem, Bottom of Endlink seems to be catching/hitting my LCA to the point where I hear all sorts of clunking and thud.

Ive replaced (in order):

BC coilovers
MOOG Sway bar endlinks / MOOG Sway Bar bushing
ES LCA bushings
Pass side axle /Pass side bearing
ES LCA Ball joints

I know its hitting the bottom boot/seal of the endlink because I decided to regrease the endlinks and 6 miles later saw grease spewed all over my passenger side LCA. And I did not pump grease into the endlink till it started spewing out. 3 pumps per joint.

The irony, I drive an i35 like the op. Maybe its an i35 problem?

its a soft thud/clunk, make the front passenger side seem loose and disconnected, cant hear it at low/slow speeds, faster speeds it just sounds bad.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by din9lebeRrY
Bumping this up. I seem to have the same problem, Bottom of Endlink seems to be catching/hitting my LCA to the point where I hear all sorts of clunking and thud.

Ive replaced (in order):

BC coilovers
MOOG Sway bar endlinks / MOOG Sway Bar bushing
ES LCA bushings
Pass side axle /Pass side bearing
ES LCA Ball joints

I know its hitting the bottom boot/seal of the endlink because I decided to regrease the endlinks and 6 miles later saw grease spewed all over my passenger side LCA. And I did not pump grease into the endlink till it started spewing out. 3 pumps per joint.

The irony, I drive an i35 like the op. Maybe its an i35 problem?

its a soft thud/clunk, make the front passenger side seem loose and disconnected, cant hear it at low/slow speeds, faster speeds it just sounds bad.
If your endlinks are hitting the bottom of the LCA you should see some markings where metal hit metal, at least on the LCA. I thought the same thing when I kept hearing clunking noises coming from the passenger side, even after I replaced endlinks, struts and strut mounts. It turned out to be the passenger side motor mount, which looked ok to the naked eye, but apparently was already tired and in need of replacement. The noises went away after that.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Nelsito65
If your endlinks are hitting the bottom of the LCA you should see some markings where metal hit metal, at least on the LCA. I thought the same thing when I kept hearing clunking noises coming from the passenger side, even after I replaced endlinks, struts and strut mounts. It turned out to be the passenger side motor mount, which looked ok to the naked eye, but apparently was already tired and in need of replacement. The noises went away after that.
Lots of people are saying that, my mount looks perfectly fine...but I can literally feel the looseness/sound coming from the wheel area...as soon as theres a dip in the road, and the tire makes impact with the ground I feel and hear the clunk emitting from the wheel area. I'm almost certain.

Did your noise seem so pinpoint, or was it the general passenger side area?

I've replaced every other god damn thing..might as well.

Also, did it emit at all noises? When i drive the car very slowly the noise doesnt exist very much.

2 things are for certain:

looseness exists
passenger side wheel areaish.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:28 AM

Lots of people are saying that, my mount looks perfectly fine...but I can literally feel the looseness/sound coming from the wheel area...as soon as theres a dip in the road, and the tire makes impact with the ground I feel and hear the clunk emitting from the wheel area. I'm almost certain.

Did your noise seem so pinpoint, or was it the general passenger side area?

I've replaced every other god damn thing..might as well.

Also, did it emit at all noises? When i drive the car very slowly the noise doesnt exist very much.

2 things are for certain:

looseness exists
passenger side wheel areaish.
My noise used to come from the front passenger tire; I couldn't replicate it standing by the engine bay and moving the car up and down. I used to hear it mostly everytime I went over speed bumps. I also used to hear and feel some loosenes from the same area when I took off fast, or when the car would switch gears, say from 1st to 2nd, after a fast take off. Just so you know, my old mount was looking perfectly fine when I replaced it.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:38 AM

My noise used to come from the front passenger tire; I couldn't replicate it standing by the engine bay and moving the car up and down. I used to hear it mostly everytime I went over speed bumps. I also used to hear and feel some loosenes from the same area when I took off fast, or when the car would switch gears, say from 1st to 2nd, after a fast take off. Just so you know, my old mount was looking perfectly fine when I replaced it.
this pretty much confirms it for me..I also smell a burnt plastic smell once in a blue moon, my 1st -> 2nd is smushy, and for me its speed bumps but NYC has shi**y roads so I feel it all over dips and stuff.

Thanks, did you go OEM? How much did it cost and looking at the labor, I'd rather a shop do it.

Thanks for all your help!!
Old 08-03-2010, 11:48 AM

this pretty much confirms it for me..I also smell a burnt plastic smell once in a blue moon, my 1st -> 2nd is smushy, and for me its speed bumps but NYC has shi**y roads so I feel it all over dips and stuff.

Thanks, did you go OEM? How much did it cost and looking at the labor, I'd rather a shop do it.

Thanks for all your help!!
I've got an aftermarket one, used, for $12 and did the job myself.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:43 PM
Toolie

It is possible to install them incorrectly. There is a left and a right. They look pretty close to identical and if you don't look at the numbers you may have them on the wrong sides. I've put moogs on a few maximas with zero problems.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:06 PM

I've got an aftermarket one, used, for $12 and did the job myself.
since its a side mount, do I need to hoist the x-member? Or is it simply, remove old, install new.

No writeups on how to do the side mounts, so Im assuming its that straightforward..

Originally Posted by knight_yyz
It is possible to install them incorrectly. There is a left and a right. They look pretty close to identical and if you don't look at the numbers you may have them on the wrong sides. I've put moogs on a few maximas with zero problems.
Trust me, I made sure when they were installed the right side went on the corresponding side lol.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:54 PM

actually i had the same question, i just bought 2001 SE AE, and it needs the whole nine yars in the front end.so i went on ebay to look for links annd theres like 5 different ones, and they all look different on pictures, i havent took the wheels off yet to see, but im just wondering, which ones are the right links, theres long ones and short ones.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:00 PM

They're not too big....Moog overengineers their products to resolve problems not induce problems....Mine are working great, no noise nor issues!!!!!!!!
Old 04-16-2012, 01:09 PM

They're not too big....Moog overengineers their products to resolve problems not induce problems....Mine are working great, no noise nor issues!!!!!!!!
For those worried about the size of the Moog links after coming across this old thread, I just installed them on my 2000 I30 (same suspension as the Maxima) and can report that at least on my car they work just fine. With my car jacked up and the front suspension fully extended the links do come very close (maybe 1/8") to the lower control arm, but I examined the links once my car was on the ground and there's lots of clearance. Since my tires rarely leave the pavement I think they'll be just fine. I did replace the sway bar bushings at the same time. Careful when ordering the bushings - Moog only makes one version and they don't fit all models according to Rockauto. I ordered the Beck/Arnley version.

I can report that the ride on my car is very slightly firmer but the handling is significantly improved. The initial sway that happens when changing direction is much reduced and the car stays flatter in turns. It also resolved most of a suspension rattle problem I've been trying to find although I suspect I have new struts in my future. Overall I'm happy with the results.

Last edited by raincity; 04-16-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:59 PM
Suspension Yoda

Glad someone else can confirm what's already been stated.

I'd have gone with ES poly sway bar bushings though
Old 04-17-2012, 04:34 PM

Got the Moog End Links and ES Sway Bar Bushings been Good for about a Month so far....
Old 04-19-2012, 10:42 AM

Glad someone else can confirm what's already been stated.

I'd have gone with ES poly sway bar bushings though
A couple people posted that the ES bushings make the ride significantly firmer. With the crappy roads around here I didn't want to do that.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:48 AM
Suspension Yoda

Disagree completely. It is ONLY the motor mount bushings that (and only for some people) can have a slightly undesirable effect. No other ES bushings give this effect.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:55 AM

Disagree completely. It is ONLY the motor mount bushings that (and only for some people) can have a slightly undesirable effect. No other ES bushings give this effect.
Perhaps that's the case, but as usual on this and every other online forum the question is: Which post do I believe? Without researching a wide sampling of each user's contributions it's very hard to tell. Most of the posts, including many in this thread are of the "Yes they are! - No they're not!" variety.

Quick Reply: Moog swaybar end-links: are they _too_ big?