5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Are all MOOG parts upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 10:51 AM

Are all MOOG parts upgrades?

There are a couple of current threads here discussing the FSB (front sway bar) end-links. Nelsito65 went and posted this great picture of the OEM end-link, side-by-side with the MOOG part. The differences are obvious.

That got me thinking about the MOOG Ball Joints and Tie-rod ends. I'm really only planning on replacing them when or if they ever fail. But now that I see this end-link, I'm wondering if the MOOG ball joints and tie-rod ends are "upgrades".

Anybody with opinions on that? Pictures, maybe?

Last edited by Rochester; 11-06-2009 at 11:04 AM.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:52 AM

Nelsito65's picture, btw:

Old 11-06-2009, 11:23 AM
Play with my balls

I have these parts at home. When I change them out, I can take pics for you.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Deckdout2
I have these parts at home. When I change them out, I can take pics for you.
That would be great. Love to see these parts side-by-side. If they're upgrades, I'd consider some preventative maintenance.

Why did you buy them?
Old 11-06-2009, 09:50 PM

The moog suspension joints are a good replacement whenever the existing ones fail.

However, they are far from an upgrade, and I wouldn't recommend changing out perfectly functional stock ends for the MOOG ends. They are a nice improvement over stock, but not worth changing to if your existing ones are operational.

One must note that despite the larger rod being used on the sway bar endlinks, what matters is the ball joint itself. I have seen MOOG joints becoming loose after a couple years of use. The serviceable nature of the MOOG suspension joints allow the masking of the creaking noise, which is an indication of worn out joints.

I have been using the 200,000 miles factory sway bar endlinks on my 240sx with Tanabe sway bars. They were fine and really tight. Those parts rarely wear out.

Truthfully, once in a while I would read about ball joint failure being reported on different forums. However, as a mechanic I have never actually replaced any ball joints for my customers. The only times I saw ball joints failure were when the owner hit a curb, which required changing out the entire control arms. Ball joints themselves, I have never had to replace any.

One way to check when your ball joints are in need of replacement is by shaking the control arm or spindles while the car is suspended with wheels removed. If there is any wiggle room from the ball joints, that is a sign of ball joint failure.

Last edited by LoveSick; 11-06-2009 at 09:52 PM.
Old 11-07-2009, 01:45 AM

MOOG is used by NASCAR.

Which means your car will handle like a NASCAR.

Old 11-07-2009, 05:34 AM

I can't speak for Moog ball joints but the tie rods/tie rod ends didn't visually strike me as an upgrade. Mechanically, it might be a different story, because as mentioned the actual joints are the most important part.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by LoveSick
The moog suspension joints are a good replacement whenever the existing ones fail.

However, they are far from an upgrade, and I wouldn't recommend changing out perfectly functional stock ends for the MOOG ends. They are a nice improvement over stock, but not worth changing to if your existing ones are operational.

One must note that despite the larger rod being used on the sway bar endlinks, what matters is the ball joint itself. I have seen MOOG joints becoming loose after a couple years of use. The serviceable nature of the MOOG suspension joints allow the masking of the creaking noise, which is an indication of worn out joints.

I have been using the 200,000 miles factory sway bar endlinks on my 240sx with Tanabe sway bars. They were fine and really tight. Those parts rarely wear out.

Truthfully, once in a while I would read about ball joint failure being reported on different forums. However, as a mechanic I have never actually replaced any ball joints for my customers. The only times I saw ball joints failure were when the owner hit a curb, which required changing out the entire control arms. Ball joints themselves, I have never had to replace any.

One way to check when your ball joints are in need of replacement is by shaking the control arm or spindles while the car is suspended with wheels removed. If there is any wiggle room from the ball joints, that is a sign of ball joint failure.
That was a great response. Exactly the kind of insight that's helpful for people evaluating replacement parts.

Perhaps my original plan is best: before having my suspension mods installed in the spring, step in for a quick lift and have my mechanic analyze the ball-joints and tie-rod ends first.

Originally Posted by MoncefA33
MOOG is used by NASCAR.

Which means your car will handle like a NASCAR.
Not helpful, but still (a little) entertaining.

Originally Posted by ridinwitha35
I can't speak for Moog ball joints but the tie rods/tie rod ends didn't visually strike me as an upgrade. Mechanically, it might be a different story, because as mentioned the actual joints are the most important part.
They look like a stronger design to me, why not to you? I assumed the thicker bar in the end-link meant a stronger, more solid connection. Not so, by your reasoning.

But then why is the SE swaybar 23 mm, vs the 22 mm sway bar on the non-SE models? Isn't thicker better?

MoncefA33, this is where you chime in with, "That's what she said."
Old 11-07-2009, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Rochester
Perhaps my original plan is best: before having my suspension mods installed in the spring, step in for a quick lift and have my mechanic analyze the ball-joints and tie-rod ends first.

The inspection will be done prior to your alignement. I needed a ball joint on my car.

They look like a stronger design to me, why not to you? I assumed the thicker bar in the end-link meant a stronger, more solid connection. Not so, by your reasoning.

But then why is the SE swaybar 23 mm, vs the 22 mm sway bar on the non-SE models? Isn't thicker better?
The sway bar is a torsion spring, so thicker (or shorter) makes for a higher rate.

The end links are strictly in tension and compression. If the stockers don't deflect, then thicker is meaningless....except for marketing.
Old 11-07-2009, 04:04 PM

That was a great response. Exactly the kind of insight that's helpful for people evaluating replacement parts.

Not helpful, but still (a little) entertaining.

MoncefA33, this is where you chime in with, "That's what she said."
Thanks Rochester.

Old 11-07-2009, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by SteveB123
The sway bar is a torsion spring, so thicker (or shorter) makes for a higher rate.

The end links are strictly in tension and compression. If the stockers don't deflect, then thicker is meaningless....except for marketing.
Well said.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by MoncefA33
Thanks Rochester.
It's all in good fun. (what she said)

Originally Posted by LoveSick
Well said.
Glad I asked these questions. Didn't expect it to backfire on my initial opinion about the end-links, but I do appreciate getting educated.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:25 AM
Suspension Yoda

I agree with LoveSick who summed it up perfectly:

"However, they are far from an upgrade, and I wouldn't recommend changing out perfectly functional stock ends for the MOOG ends. They are a nice improvement over stock, but not worth changing to if your existing ones are operational."

They're not an UPGRADE per say, but a nice improvement. I hardly notice a difference in handling or driveability between OEM and Moog, but when replacing them, for the price and Moog being known for their suspension parts, it's more of a "why not.."
Old 11-08-2009, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
I agree with LoveSick who summed it up perfectly:

"However, they are far from an upgrade, and I wouldn't recommend changing out perfectly functional stock ends for the MOOG ends. They are a nice improvement over stock, but not worth changing to if your existing ones are operational."

They're not an UPGRADE per say, but a nice improvement. I hardly notice a difference in handling or driveability between OEM and Moog, but when replacing them, for the price and Moog being known for their suspension parts, it's more of a "why not.."
Yours is always a welcome opinion, djfrestyl. Thank you.

So taking that one step further, (and hopefully not putting words in your mouth), a philosophy of "why not" doesn't apply to ball joints and tie-rod ends because they are relatively expensive when compared to $15 MOOG end-links.

You've crossed paths with me on this issue a few times, so I apologize for seeming redundant. I've been trying to lock down a reasonable and practical approach to these parts, and got side-tracked seeing the side-by-side picture of the end-links. I think that summary is:
(1) If you're already "down there" with suspension and/or brake work, replace the end-links with MOOG parts because they're inexpensive and good-as or better than OEM. (Including ES sway bar bushings.)

(2) Replace the ball-joints and tie-rod ends with MOOG parts when they fail.
Yes?
Old 11-08-2009, 08:37 AM
Suspension Yoda

Option #2, but apply that to end links as well. No point in replacing anything before they fail. The end link job is easy enough to do on its own. And the difference in handling is marginal - if any at all.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:41 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i've been using MOOG parts for many years now, and recommend them to all my customers over other aftermarket parts that are available on the market.

My main reasons for MOOG parts over other aftermarket counterparts are:
1. better in design
2. greesable
3. good warranty
4. priced well compared to oem
5. descent fit and finish

This goes true for all of their suspension parts, and I've done all of them, inner/outer tie rods, ball joints, etc.

When you are trying to compare to OEM, then I would not necessarily consider these an upgrade per functionality as I like the fit and finish of most OEM products, the longevity of OEM is adequate, the most common different from OEm parts is the price as these tend to be pricier than MOOG parts. Every once in a while you can find a descent price on OEM suspension parts that are comparable to aftermarket, but in general they are much more.

Hope this info helps.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:44 AM

Option #2, but apply that to end links as well. No point in replacing anything before they fail. The end link job is easy enough to do on its own. And the difference in handling is marginal - if any at all.
I agree.

Most of the time when it comes to end links, it's the annoying clattering noise you get over uneven surfaces over handling, reason why you'd replace the end links unless they're bad to a point that they pop out of their joints or break, then its a handling issue on top of the clunking noise.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:57 AM

Glad this thread was posted, as I'm thinking my TRE's might be worn. I ordered new MOOG TRE's from Advance Auto. They set me back $81+change, but haven't put them on yet. Don't know if I'll get around to putting them on before I leave for my business trip to be able to give an opinion on better or not. Would still like to hear what everybody elses opinions are.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by nsnrider
I agree.

Most of the time when it comes to end links, it's the annoying clattering noise you get over uneven surfaces over handling, reason why you'd replace the end links unless they're bad to a point that they pop out of their joints or break, then its a handling issue on top of the clunking noise.
OK, OK. Man, I keep trying to spend money, and you guys keep trying to put it back in my pocket! OK, I get it. (Phew!)

I'm going to cool my jets on end-links, tie-rod ends, and ball-joints. In March, I'll put it up on the lift and go over this stuff with my mechanic, to assess the situation before planned April mods. (By the way, that's the advice of my mechanic, too... replace these things only when they break.)

I'm done. I've got the advice I needed, just not necessarily the advice I wanted. Thanks, guys.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:55 AM

Oh crap. Now I know where my money is going...

...went to use the car just now, and I'm missing on one cylinder.

Kind of sucks the fun right out of things.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:59 AM
Suspension Yoda

Time for a spark plug/coil job. Any codes?
Old 11-08-2009, 10:06 AM

Time for a spark plug/coil job. Any codes?
Plugs are less than 2 years old; Iridium Tips. I had one coil replaced 18 months ago, the others are original equipment. Codes? Don't know, but the CEL hasn't started yet.

What sucks is I just had the spacers installed, which would have been nice timing to coincide with bad coils. Not that you can plan that crap. See, this speaks right to the heart of things with this thread: spending money on upgrades is fun. Spending money on repairs is decidedly not fun.

Coils are expensive. Oh boy.

Last edited by Rochester; 11-08-2009 at 10:31 AM.
Old 11-08-2009, 02:43 PM
Suspension Yoda

Probably another coil. By codes I mean if a CEL or SES appeared yet. Hopefully one appears soon so you know which cylinder it is.

Agree - good luck
Old 11-09-2009, 08:29 AM

Probably another coil. By codes I mean if a CEL or SES appeared yet. Hopefully one appears soon so you know which cylinder it is.

Agree - good luck
Hooked it up at my mechanic's shop this morning. No CEL, but it did register a misfire on the #2 cylinder; (I think the code was P302 or something like that.) So we replaced the coil pack on #2 and cleared the codes. Runs great again.

Very pleased it was in front. 1-3-5 are a PITA.

I'm out $130 for parts and labor/diagnosis, and a half-day of work, but I got it fixed ASAP and the car runs good again. What can I say... cars are expensive.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:23 AM

All i have left to change out are the MOOG ball joints up front. I have replaced endlinks, inner and outer ties, & strut mounts with moog parts. Each part, except for the strut mounts, have been noticably meatier than the stock counterpart. At 130k, all of these parts were pretty worn and could be moved freely by hand with no force. Everything except the strut mounts NEEDED to be replaced. I am in the process of replacing all the bushings up front with ES hoping I will acheive the suspension/steering we all long for.

Also, for those going to advanced for parts, dont forget about the $10 off $25 coupons floating around here...
Old 01-30-2010, 08:45 AM

Regarding MOOG replacement parts, one opinion that seems to have universal consensus here is that MOOG Front Strut Mounts are preferable over OEM, and the OEM mounts should be swapped out when replacing the struts.

I'm having Tokico HP Blues installed in the Spring, as well as new brakes, so I've been collecting parts over the winter. The Strut Mounts arrived the other day. These be them:

Old 01-30-2010, 11:32 AM

Nice! If I can ask where you bought yours? I was going to go with KYB but also heard good things about MOOG. I'm also replacing shocks/struts within the week.

Last edited by Tippy Toes; 01-30-2010 at 11:45 AM.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by vastmax
All i have left to change out are the MOOG ball joints up front. I have replaced endlinks, inner and outer ties, & strut mounts with moog parts. Each part, except for the strut mounts, have been noticably meatier than the stock counterpart. At 130k, all of these parts were pretty worn and could be moved freely by hand with no force. Everything except the strut mounts NEEDED to be replaced. I am in the process of replacing all the bushings up front with ES hoping I will acheive the suspension/steering we all long for.

Also, for those going to advanced for parts, dont forget about the $10 off $25 coupons floating around here...

I'm on a budget..where is the $10 off $25 and for what parts are you referring too? (Tight budget obv)
Old 01-30-2010, 12:02 PM

that coupon expired the end of 2009...

also, I had a chance to install the ball joints and ES control arm bushings for a totally new (and quiet) suspension up front.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:13 PM

Ah this is my next project to get done MOOG ball joints and ES control arm bushings, and sway bar endlinks. After spending since the spring of last year slammed on S-Tech's and 180,000km on the car now the old OEM parts are really showing there wear ... front end has become lose and one can really feel the gusting broad side winds at moderate speeds. Definitely work needing to be done sooner than later.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Tippy Toes
Nice! If I can ask where you bought yours? I was going to go with KYB but also heard good things about MOOG. I'm also replacing shocks/struts within the week.
http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...an+Maxima+2003

This page is a smorgasbord of front-end parts from ES and MOOG.

I think the prices are fair, although you could probably shave $5 to $10 elsewhere if you know where to go. That kind of holds true for anything online. I've also read lots of good feedback about prices at RockAuto.com.

Not sure where I'm buying the HP's from next month. Some retailer on eBay, most likely.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:54 PM

Not sure where I'm buying the HP's from next month. Some retailer on eBay, most likely.
You may want to check with a few of the guys that bought up a quantity of the HP's back in the fall when one of the shops was clearing the, perhaps one may still have a set or two to sell. I picked up a set last fall and just did my front rotors and pads a few weeks ago.
Old 01-30-2010, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Ghost_54
You may want to check with a few of the guys that bought up a quantity of the HP's back in the fall when one of the shops was clearing the, perhaps one may still have a set or two to sell. I picked up a set last fall and just did my front rotors and pads a few weeks ago.
Do you have contacts or links, Jim? PM me if you do.

I'm either buying the HP's in mid-February, or a couple new tires... and then the other in mid-March. And since I'm convinced these Eagle F1's are hotness, the total cost is the same either way. Expensive tires. Worth it, though.
Old 01-30-2010, 03:39 PM

PM sent
Old 01-30-2010, 03:48 PM

PM sent
Ah, now I get it. You're confusing "HP" with "HPS". The HPS Pads I already have, sitting right here in my office on top of a new set of Centric Rotors. I bought my fronts when that PepBoys special hit last fall.

When I said "HP", I meant Tokico HP Blues. Struts.

~john
Old 01-30-2010, 04:01 PM

^^^^ I'am bad sorry about that, but if I may ask why just the blues and not the adjustable Ilumina's?
Old 01-30-2010, 06:03 PM

^^^^ I'am bad sorry about that, but if I may ask why just the blues and not the adjustable Ilumina's?
Well, there is the $150 difference, but it's not that, really. For a while I was on the fence between the HP Blues, Iluminas and Tein SS coilovers; (honest). Unfortunately, here in Rochester I've no opportunity for a hands-on evaluation unless I put a huge effort into it. So my decision was based on research and advise. It's kind of antiseptic, but that's what I'm working with.

So I decided against the coilovers and the Iluminas because of how little longer I'll be driving the car, advice from my mechanic, cost, age of the car, and age of the driver (me). Everything I read about the Blues is that they're a softer ride than the stock SE over bumps and low speeds, but stiffer and more stable at aggressive driving. That's exactly what I want in a suspension, so I went with the Blues.

As to the height adjustable nature of the Iluminas... don't care about lowering the car. I know it matters to a lot of people on the Org, but it's just not something I care about.

We all make mod decisions based on our own values and priorities. And it's OK when they're different from someone else... as long as it doesn't involve 22" chrome rims. That's just wrong.

Last edited by Rochester; 01-30-2010 at 06:12 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:53 AM

As to the height adjustable nature of the Iluminas... don't care about lowering the car. I know it matters to a lot of people on the Org, but it's just not something I care about.
They're damping-rate adjustable, not height. Depending on whom you ask, they range of adjustment ranges from "not very" to "noticeable." But that's a different discussion.

We all make mod decisions based on our own values and priorities. And it's OK when they're different from someone else... as long as it doesn't involve 22" chrome rims. That's just wrong.
Agreed on both counts.

So question - are the Moog strut mounts worth the extra $5 each over the KYB parts? If so, why?
Old 02-01-2010, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by homeyclaus
They're damping-rate adjustable, not height. Depending on whom you ask, they range of adjustment ranges from "not very" to "noticeable." But that's a different discussion.
Right. My bad... new springs to change the height. Or coilovers.

That said, let me rephrase my position: If I had adjustable dampening, I'd probably set it once and forget about it. Also, I like a cushy ride over bumps and city driving, but want better handling at speed. I think those two points add up to HP blues. Hope I'm right.

Originally Posted by homeyclaus
So question - are the Moog strut mounts worth the extra $5 each over the KYB parts? If so, why?
Beats me. Doesn't look like there's that much engineering in the mounts to matter. I'm just going on my interpretation of consensus, and advice from mechanics (like djfrestyl).
Old 02-01-2010, 09:44 AM
Suspension Yoda

Rochester - you made the right choice based on your preferences.

Yes, they're worth the extra $5, because they include strut bearings and replacement hardware.

Quick Reply: Are all MOOG parts upgrades?