5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Think I'm gonna take the Eibach Springs out

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 10:44 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Think I'm gonna take the Eibach Springs out

So I've had the EIbachs in for about 3-4 years and things have changed. I've gotten a little older, I've picked up a second weekend car which is faster/ handles better than the I35 ever could, thus my focus for the I35 has changed to a more comfortable ride/ DD routine especially as shes getting up there in the mileage I think its racing days are over.

Also when I put the spring in I lived in an area with decent roads, thus they were perfectly comliant enough for daily driving. I actually drove the car across the country a couple times and found it a great highway cruiser. But now I live close to boston for my job and the roads are bad enough to consistently bottom out the stock suspension on the big pot holes, forget a lowered car. I've actually bubbled a pair of tires. Its bad

So now I'm lookin into either going back to stock springs (which would give me that horrible fender gap again) or go to a different spring. Thinkin about the H&R springs but I dont remember hearing a lot of reviews on them other than that they are comfortable but as I've already seen and experinced comfortable is relative. My EIbachs were perfectly fine where I used to live, now they arent as much.
Lookin to hear from you guys who run them on less than perfect roads.

Last edited by sciff5; 11-21-2009 at 10:49 AM.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:17 AM
Toolie

h&r's are still a stiff spring. just not quite as stiff as the eibachs.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:28 AM

go stock
Old 11-21-2009, 12:08 PM
大陆弟弟

Just go coilovers so you have full suspension travel, which is lost with any spring setup.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:17 PM

Go stock man. Eibachs are a stiff spring and if your bottoming out on them you will on any softer spring. I would say coilovers but, if you'er like me your cant seeing paying $1000+ for a good set of coilover on a highmilage car that has to see winter duty. I think the harshness of the Illuminas is more to blame for the ride than anything else.
Old 11-21-2009, 01:23 PM

I'm in the same boat as you. Right now I have h/r up front and h-techs in the back with illuminas. I'm tired of the harsh ride and thinking about going to coilovers. I'm just not sure they are worth the price. Also the fact I would be using them during New England winters.
Old 11-21-2009, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by PulsarGTS
Go stock man. Eibachs are a stiff spring and if your bottoming out on them you will on any softer spring. I would say coilovers but, if you'er like me your cant seeing paying $1000+ for a good set of coilover on a highmilage car that has to see winter duty. I think the harshness of the Illuminas is more to blame for the ride than anything else.

Car sees snow, massve pot holes ect.. I wouldent be completly adverse to coilovers, especially after selling off the eibachs/illuminas which despite all the abuse are literally like brand new so I'm more than impressed with the durability of this setup. I can safely say they can handle anything an OEM setup can handle if not more.

The Coilovers on the other hand I have my doubts about in terms of ruggedness. Nor do I think any of them will be any softer than the Eibachs. That being said I have heard fantastic results for daily driven cars on other platforms with custom valved shocks, custom valved bilsteins being very daily driver friendly if you dont go crazy with the spring rates.

The pot holes around here bottom out the stock suspension with stock springs so any lowering spring is gonna be an issue... but like I said it doesnt matter what you do the maximas just dont have much suspension travel, funny thing is I dont have that issue at all in my moms g35 or my rx7.

Last edited by sciff5; 11-21-2009 at 01:31 PM.
Old 11-21-2009, 01:42 PM
Toolie

tein ss
Old 11-21-2009, 02:06 PM

I'm running the same setup on my Maxima and there are days where I think that it is great and other days where I grow weary of the harsh ride. There are some squeaks and rattles that i suspect would go away if i went back stock. I debated it for awhile when i bought the Illuminas. I was going to put the stock springs back on but opted to keep the Eibachs on.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:31 AM
You embarrass me.

Where the hell did you move to man? Haha, I am starting to agree with you on the Eibach /Illumina judgment. They ride too stiff, handle great, but ride too stiff.

I will agree with the coilover prospect, specifically the TEIN SS'. I rode in a car lower than mine, with TEIN SS' and it felt like stock without the bounce. They will be my next suspension mod.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:09 AM

Thats a good choice, My Pontiac is my sporty car and its riding on eibach sportlines(nice and bumpy but it handles like a dream), I recently purchased an I30 and love the smooth ride. Stock is perfect.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:06 AM

somehow I like the soft stock suspensions on my maxima. maybe its just cuz the suspesions on my bike are ball crushing hard, I dont feel like having hard ones on my car.
Old 11-22-2009, 03:26 PM
Future Camaro SS owner

I am in same boat but maybe sinking faster. I have progress springs with illuminas which I think one in rear is blown. I am thinking of going back to H&Rs and going to the blues. Or the tein ss but like you I drive in snow with salt.
Old 11-22-2009, 04:21 PM

Coilovers are really the only way to go if you want a lowered car with good ride quality...I'm in the same boat you are; Baton Rouge roads are 10x worse than where I used to live and it's really starting to take a toll on what I think of my car...I need to just pull the trigger and get some coilovers.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by zero2sixtyZ
Where the hell did you move to man? Haha, I am starting to agree with you on the Eibach /Illumina judgment. They ride too stiff, handle great, but ride too stiff.

I will agree with the coilover prospect, specifically the TEIN SS'. I rode in a car lower than mine, with TEIN SS' and it felt like stock without the bounce. They will be my next suspension mod.
Whats goin on man. I still live in Norwood but I used to live on the cape. I never noticed how good the roads are down the cape till I moved off cape.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by MyownNismo
I am in same boat but maybe sinking faster. I have progress springs with illuminas which I think one in rear is blown. I am thinking of going back to H&Rs and going to the blues. Or the tein ss but like you I drive in snow with salt.
In other words would snowy/salt conditions drastically reduce a COs life?

to the OP.. I am daily driving on H&R and Illuminas... on pretty brutal roads during all seasons in the North East for almost 2.5 years now. It seems pretty inevitable that rough roads are allways going to be rough on any A33 suspension. That being said.. without spending mucho dinero for the finest TEIN SS and still wanting a nicer than stock wheel gap H&Rs do the job. Go for it. I think you'll notice a descent comfort improvement from the stiffer Eibachs.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:44 PM

Stock, or coilovers. I have H&Rs, and while I never have bottomed out, I still get plenty of crashes through the chassis on the roads around Raleigh NC. Still H&Rs were a nice improvement, in my opinion over the eibachs. I had eibachs but they were too stiff and I bottomed out way too much.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:58 PM
Demodded and Forgotten

Originally Posted by knight_yyz
h&r's are still a stiff spring. just not quite as stiff as the eibachs.

If you want smooth. Go back to stock. I ran H&Rs in the front of mine for years. It was harsher than ****. As a matter of fact, my KSports are smoother than my old H&Rs.

Last edited by rroderiques77; 11-23-2009 at 02:35 PM.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:11 PM

Eih bach are garbage

I never liked Eih bach do to the fact that only 1.5 max drop and on maxima you cant even tell. I need to find a lowering kit for my new max but hard since the 7th generation only come with this **** Eih Bach aftermarket springs. I only been able to find these.

If you want to get a free Eih bach drop roll around on your new maxima for 2 years you will have your 1.5 drop lol
Old 11-23-2009, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by TwinTurboMax
I need to find a lowering kit for my new max but hard since the 7th generation only come with this **** Eih Bach aftermarket springs.

Gee.
The drop on "your" Max in your pics looks pretty low.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:50 PM

Well if you go back to stock springs and are looking for a set I have my stocks up for sale, looking for 40.00 bucks + shipping

Last edited by Ghost_54; 11-23-2009 at 06:54 PM.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:59 PM

This is adding to my hesitation to go lower. My Maxima susp. is stock, and I'm afraid to go lower for the same reasons as the OP.

My eagle talon is my racer, and it's very low. I like being able to jump back into my Max for a smooth ride.

Additionally, lip kits make lowering seem worse b/c you may be kissing more curbs than you like. From reading the posts it sounds like the 2 best options are:

stock-
coilover-
Old 11-23-2009, 03:23 PM

I will be going through massive snow and salt. Dont believe any coilover made for our cars can sufficiently handle that for years of abuse. Not to mention just the punshment( I can see it being 10 degrees outside and hitting a massive pothole, being almost certain death for coilovers.

The other option is sell the car and move on. Dont know what the market is for a modified I35 Sport package though. I dont think there are many around here who would want a modified car with 120k.

Plus right now not having a payment is nice as hell.

To others thinking about dropping the car. I would still do it if I didnt have the second car. Now that I have a sports car weekend car that is stripped out and loud as hell, I do appreciate comfortable more.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:43 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Originally Posted by jasonmax
somehow I like the soft stock suspensions on my maxima. maybe its just cuz the suspesions on my bike are ball crushing hard, I dont feel like having hard ones on my car.
If that's the case you need to make some adjustments to your bike's suspension. You are losing traction if it is that stiff.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:44 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

If it is a daily driver go to stock. Don't mind all the other suggestions as they will cost you money and won't have the comfort of stock.

I'm sure you can get an even trade or make some money by going to stock.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:56 PM

http://www.ajusa.com/details/Tokico-...sion+Kits&vq=&

this is what you'll want.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by beefy23b/97
Never seen those. Looks like a bolt in affair. Hopefully a forum member has used them and can chime in.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by sciff5
I will be going through massive snow and salt. Dont believe any coilover made for our cars can...... .. .
.....not having a payment is nice as hell.

..... .... . . .appreciate comfortable more.
Good choice in not selling it right away, no payments is key,
you never said what car you got btw......

Never seen those. Looks like a bolt in affair. Hopefully a forum member has used them and can chime in.
I am surprized to see no one ever talks about these..as they have been around a while.... The front drop is 1.25" which is .15" taller in comparison to H&R 1.4" ....
Old 11-23-2009, 09:16 PM

they are hp's which tons of guys on here run and can tell you they are the same as stock. The spring rates will be matched to the dampening rate of the shock. You won't get that with any other spring shock combo unless its a coilover, well that's basically what these are minus the height adjustment.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:40 AM

they are hp's which tons of guys on here run and can tell you they are the same as stock. The spring rates will be matched to the dampening rate of the shock. You won't get that with any other spring shock combo unless its a coilover, well that's basically what these are minus the height adjustment.
A simple non height adjustable spring/shock combo with custom valved shocks for those springs is what I'm looking for. Just dont know how stiff those springs are or how much time is actually spent on the valving of those shocks.

INteresting but I dont want to be the guinnea pig.

Both my cars are in my signature btw. I havent bought a car but I'm looking at an sti possibly to replace the I35.

I would not go back completly to stock btw. I already have the Illuinas I would jsut put the stock springs back on them and keep tham at 1 all around. I'm sure that would be soft enough. I have my stock springs sitting in my basement.

Last edited by sciff5; 11-24-2009 at 09:42 AM.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:04 AM

I've got the same issue as the OP - would like to have a nice, lower ride, but NYC potholes leave me scared of lowering. I don't want to deal with a harsh ride and hearing every pothole tear up my ride.

If anyone has the Tokico HP set-up, does it really ride close to stock? Also, what kind of mileage can I expect from them? In other words, how long will they last?
Old 11-24-2009, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Kamzilla
I've got the same issue as the OP - would like to have a nice, lower ride, but NYC potholes leave me scared of lowering. I don't want to deal with a harsh ride and hearing every pothole tear up my ride.

If anyone has the Tokico HP set-up, does it really ride close to stock? Also, what kind of mileage can I expect from them? In other words, how long will they last?
The important thing to note is that shocks are only a small part of what makes up your ride quality. Springs are what hold your car up and they dictate what your car rides like. Shock will help tone the ride of the car but they wont dramatically change it if the springs and shocks are matched that is. If your shocks dramatically change your ride it means one of 2 things: 1. your shock/spring combo was poorly matched and now that has been corrected or 2. your shock/spring combo was properly matched and now it isnt.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:32 PM
You embarrass me.

Originally Posted by TwinTurboMax
I never liked Eih bach do to the fact that only 1.5 max drop and on maxima you cant even tell. I need to find a lowering kit for my new max but hard since the 7th generation only come with this **** Eih Bach aftermarket springs. I only been able to find these.

If you want to get a free Eih bach drop roll around on your new maxima for 2 years you will have your 1.5 drop lol
Yeah, great analysis.

It's Eibach, not Eih Bach. Also, they aren't garbage, but they are stiff. They handle great, but ride rough. Two different things. 7th gen forum is a few clicks away, don't get confused.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:58 PM

i had eibachs on my last car and loved them! yeah they were firm but handled great, i agree with zero just search the 7th gen section im sure somebody has gone a different route
Old 11-26-2009, 12:20 PM

If all you wanted to do is lower the car to get rid of that wheel/fender gap, what would be a spring/strut combo to go with. I dont have to have a car that handles like its riding on rails, just want to get rid of that gap. thanks
Old 12-03-2009, 11:06 AM
Future Camaro SS owner

Originally Posted by Prophecy99
In other words would snowy/salt conditions drastically reduce a COs life?

to the OP.. I am daily driving on H&R and Illuminas... on pretty brutal roads during all seasons in the North East for almost 2.5 years now. It seems pretty inevitable that rough roads are allways going to be rough on any A33 suspension. That being said.. without spending mucho dinero for the finest TEIN SS and still wanting a nicer than stock wheel gap H&Rs do the job. Go for it. I think you'll notice a descent comfort improvement from the stiffer Eibachs.
I have had H&R's before but on stock struts. Plus I am on Progress springs not Eibachs.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:42 PM

Hey sciff5, if you want to check out the H&R and Illuminas on a 4th gen Maxima then let me know through PM. I can meet up with you around the Boston or Norwood area. Eibach is a good spring for most cars out there. It is more sport/raced oriented and stiffer than other springs. Like others stated stock might be BEST for comfort!
Old 12-10-2009, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Stealth Max
Hey sciff5, if you want to check out the H&R and Illuminas on a 4th gen Maxima then let me know through PM. I can meet up with you around the Boston or Norwood area. Eibach is a good spring for most cars out there. It is more sport/raced oriented and stiffer than other springs. Like others stated stock might be BEST for comfort!
Yeah man that might be worth trying out even though I'm not sure the 4th gens and 5th gens are going to act the same with the same brand springs.

I am looking at the teins ss everyone is praising. Only because many people from ny seem to like them (and if they daily drive their cars then those coilovers have survived some cold hard days)

The main handling advantage of coilovers over a simple spring/strut is camber adjustment, and the teins I dont believe can adjust camber up front because they use stock mounts.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:16 AM

want to sell the eibachs
Old 12-11-2009, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by 02maxdd
want to sell the eibachs
I might be. I'll let yah know when I get closer to a decision