5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Wanting 260whp...

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 04:53 PM
DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS MEMBER - OWES PEOPLE MONEY

Originally Posted by PulsarGTS
I thought he had cams.
I know for sure he had rod bolts and valvetrain. Judging by that I'll assume cams were put in too since he was revving it to 7500.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Gemner
Depends on what you have done. With ssim my car makes iirc over 245hp from 6300 to 7100, peak 253hp
My list of mods are long and deep, but I'm haven't installed my NWP spacers(which I have) nor had the TS reflash yet....that's all I'm lacking...well beside that 3" exhaust which I don't know how streetable it is in everyday traffic.... So until then I know the 2.5" Cattman is sufficient!
Old 12-10-2009, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by CMax03
So until then I know the 2.5" Cattman is sufficient!
To the tune of probably 10-15whp less than an open Y, why wouldn't a 3" be streetable lol?
Old 12-10-2009, 05:20 PM

Depends on what you have done. With ssim my car makes iirc over 245hp from 6300 to 7100, peak 253hp
Originally Posted by sparks03max
To the tune of probably 10-15whp less than an open Y, why wouldn't a 3" be streetable lol?
The question I've been asking since the Cattman 3" catback was released...how streetable is it in everyday traffic (stop and go) in regard to it's tractabilty! Not if it was streetable....Just cause it makes more power at WOT doesn't mean it's tractable in everyday slow a$$ traffic....I'm not willing to trade my fun street peppiness for dragstrip WOT power only! Get my point?
Old 12-10-2009, 05:25 PM

i may be wrong but iirc the cattman 3" made power throughout the entire powerband

The question I've been asking since the Cattman 3" catback was released...how streetable is it in everyday traffic (stop and go) in regard to it's tractabilty! Not if it was streetable....Just cause it makes more power at WOT doesn't mean it's tractable in everyday slow a$$ traffic....I'm not willing to trade my fun street peppiness for dragstrip WOT power only! Get my point?
Old 12-10-2009, 05:48 PM

I often daily drive with a 3" straight pipe that has 2 resonators and dumps before making a turn. Although loud, I notice no difference from a full exhaust during daily driving. Seriously, a 3" exhaust that goes to the bumper provides more than enough back pressure. It's only in the import community that people have been convinced you need a restrictive exhaust on a N/A vehicle. The first mod many F-body guys do is cutouts... lol

Last edited by sparks03max; 12-10-2009 at 05:50 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:32 PM
Play with my balls

SR20DEN does not have cams and never had. He does have rod bolts, bigger MAF, TS L-spec (7500rpms), SSIM, and a few other goodies. He's also got a hell of a tune as well. Most of his power comes from a great tune, but no cams.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Deckdout2
SR20DEN does not have cams and never had. He does have rod bolts, bigger MAF, TS L-spec (7500rpms), SSIM, and a few other goodies. He's also got a hell of a tune as well. Most of his power comes from a great tune, but no cams.
Yeah I wasn't sure on the cams. Most of that last 500 rpms was probably pretty useless for him in that case. He made some pretty amazing numbers considering a 2.5" exhaust. I can see tune making a pretty large difference, it certainly gained me a huge amount of mph/ET at the track. One day I'll find a used V-manage for cheap so I can control CVTC (screw getting a single set map from TS).
Old 12-10-2009, 08:40 PM

I often daily drive with a 3" straight pipe that has 2 resonators and dumps before making a turn. Although loud, I notice no difference from a full exhaust during daily driving. Seriously, a 3" exhaust that goes to the bumper provides more than enough back pressure. It's only in the import community that people have been convinced you need a restrictive exhaust on a N/A vehicle. The first mod many F-body guys do is cutouts... lol

So would straight pipes yet to the axle back(I currently don't have one) cause me to lose power and back pressure? Or should I go ahead and extend it all the way to the rear(power gains with straight pipes)
Old 12-10-2009, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by e-subliminal-2
So would straight pipes yet to the axle back(I currently don't have one) cause me to lose power and back pressure? Or should I go ahead and extend it all the way to the rear(power gains with straight pipes)
Like I said, my current exhaust is a 3" pipe with 2 resonators that dumps under the car before making any bends. It's possible you'd have some vias delete style bottom end loss (idle to 2500/3k or so) but less restriction will almost always increase midrange/topend.

Personally I don't notice any difference, but I'll tell you what the volume of an open dump directly under the car gets OLD. It took my ears 2 days to recover after my 12 hour round trip drive to NOVA to pick up this kinetix.

That said, I ordered a cheap 2.5" (custommaxima) to putt around daily, just to keep the volume down inside the car. I'll remove my test pipe for the track (open Y) and eventually get a cutout... an electric one if I can find one that seals properly. I'm expecting a huge power loss
Old 12-10-2009, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by HotshotVQ35
i may be wrong but iirc the cattman 3" made power throughout the entire powerband
It made power throughout the powerband @ WOT dude! My question was directed to part throttle operation! You guys do drive your cars on the public roads right??? Any of you drive everywhere you go at WOT 100% of the time??? I don't think any of us do that!!!
Thanks Sparks, for your response it was very helpful...the bigger the cross sectional area the less restriction to a certain dimension and then anything bigger that the exhaust losses it's heat energy and gas velocity! Possible gains in midrange and topend, but suffering in the part throttle response arena that's the fun part of everyday driving at least for me

I'm presently running CM headers and CM 2.5" catback system, which I found to be a little lacking in part throttle peppiness, but maybe it was the Injen intake I was running at that time which has been replaced with a Hybrid Shortram Intake. It's about gas velocity on the intake and exhaust sides to increase that fun factor of torque in part throttle or WOT operation...please don't confuse the reality of gas velocity with that backpressure B.S...
Old 12-10-2009, 10:02 PM

It made power throughout the powerband @ WOT dude! My question was directed to part throttle operation! You guys do drive your cars on the public roads right??? Any of you drive everywhere you go at WOT 100% of the time??? I don't think any of us do that!!!
Thanks Sparks, for your response it was very helpful...the bigger the cross sectional area the less restriction to a certain dimension and then anything bigger that the exhaust losses it's heat energy and gas velocity! Possible gains in midrange and topend, but suffering in the part throttle response arena that's the fun part of everyday driving at least for me

I'm presently running CM headers and CM 2.5" catback system, which I found to be a little lacking in part throttle peppiness, but maybe it was the Injen intake I was running at that time which has been replaced with a Hybrid Shortram Intake. It's about gas velocity on the intake and exhaust sides to increase that fun factor of torque in part throttle or WOT operation...please don't confuse the reality of gas velocity with that backpressure B.S...
What it sounds like to me is that you should run stock exhaust (for teh super backpressure... err gas velocity), and use a cut out for the track. Don't expect 260whp on the street, though.

Again, we are talking about a 3.5L v6, here. A 3" exhaust is FAR from being oversized. Almost every Z/G exhaust option is either a 3" single or dual 2.5", and I don't see them whining on the forums about back pressure and gas velocity at low throttle.

I'd wager just this dainty 2.5" Y-pipe provides more than enough restriction without any help from a full exhaust.

Last edited by sparks03max; 12-10-2009 at 10:04 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:19 PM

Civility with some butt kicking power is possible and maybe increasing the intake tract and MAF housing size along with the exhaust is the real deal....please don't confuse what I said and patronize me....I'm into my free flowing Cattman 2.5" exhaust for now and maybe if I upgrade my wife to a 2010 Maxima, and then I'll upgrade my 03 A/T TE to a 3" CM catback. I just already know she won't like the increased exhaust volume...nor will my 4 yr old!
Old 12-10-2009, 10:26 PM

Civility with some butt kicking power is possible and maybe increasing the intake tract and MAF housing size along with the exhaust is the real deal....please don't confuse what I said and patronize me....I'm into my free flowing Cattman 2.5" exhaust for now and maybe if I upgrade my wife to a 2010 Maxima, and then I'll upgrade my 03 A/T TE to a 3" CM catback. I just already know she won't like the increased exhaust volume...nor will my 4 yr old!
A 3" with large resonator and muffler would likely to be the best way to go if you want civility + power on the street, without the "best" of either.

I'm not trying to patronize you, but I feel like you're confusing our platform with a 2.XL N/A 4-cyl, which may actually lose some power going to a 3" exhaust.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:54 PM

A 3" with large resonator and muffler would likely to be the best way to go if you want civility + power on the street, without the "best" of either.

I'm not trying to patronize you, but I feel like you're confusing our platform with a 2.XL N/A 4-cyl, which may actually lose some power going to a 3" exhaust.
No...I don't wanna lose that low speed part throttle response I have, for a sluggish, loud beast in 25-50 mph traffic that is no longer a sleeper but a nuisance to everyone else around me!!!!!!...My car presently is like Jekyl and Hyde and is quiet, stealthy, and super responsive even in 1/4" throttle movements....But once in 3/4 to WOT all hell breaks loose......But anyway I think the electric cutout is probably the best of both worlds and an awesome mod to have in place of the cat or built into a header ypipe so I'm legal all the time! But with a .15 sec decrease in the 1/4 mile only...that's not too impressive! If it were .5-1.0 sec reduction that'll be something to write home to Mommy about....I'll save that mod on my Mopar Turbo car that will reduce my 1/4 mi. times at least .5 sec....
Old 12-10-2009, 11:00 PM

No...I don't wanna lose that low speed part throttle response I have, for a sluggish, loud beast in 25-50 mph traffic that is no longer a sleeper but a nuisance to everyone else around me!!!!!!...My car presently is like Jekyl and Hyde and is quiet, stealthy, and super responsive even in 1/4" throttle movements....But once in 3/4 to WOT all hell breaks loose......But anyway I think the electric cutout is probably the best of both worlds and an awesome mod to have in place of the cat or built into a header ypipe so I'm legal all the time! But with a .15 sec decrease in the 1/4 mile only...that's not too impressive! If it were .5-1.0 sec reduction that'll be something to write home to Mommy about....I'll save that mod on my Mopar Turbo car that will reduce my 1/4 mi. times at least .5 sec....
Well in my case, a tune + open Y-pipe added to my previous mods took me from 14.0@100 to 13.2@107.5 (both on street tires, both with 2.0X '60 foots).

Even comparing my free-flowing 3" under-car dump to open Y-pipe, I gain 1.5-2MPH...

And honestly, a .15 decrease in ET represents an easy 5-10whp. Consider how much money you spend for 15-20whp from headers, and what it costs to run a cutout or open Y. Yeah...

To concentrate on low throttle responsiveness with functioning VIAS (much bigger deal than exhaust), GAB/stock intake, 2.5" or stock exhaust, you are losing a massive amount of top end. Sadly, there are tradeoffs to be considered, and the OP wants to make 260whp on the street. IMO he's going to want a free flowing (3") exhaust, and vias delete or SSIM, both of which would be major taboo in your book. Maybe if this were another thread "Wanting part-throttle ownage and civility," I could agree with you.

Last edited by sparks03max; 12-10-2009 at 11:05 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:21 PM

To concentrate on low throttle responsiveness with functioning VIAS (much bigger deal than exhaust), GAB/stock intake, 2.5" or stock exhaust, you are losing a massive amount of top end. Sadly, there are tradeoffs to be considered, and the OP wants to make 260whp on the street. IMO he's going to want a free flowing (3") exhaust, and vias delete or SSIM, both of which would be major taboo in your book. Maybe if this were another thread "Wanting part-throttle ownage and civility," I could agree with you.

There is quite a bit of compromise with breathing mods especially.

I'm gonna chime in here with the SSIM though. The SSIM only works if you have the software to support it. I'm read that using the Z33 CVTC maps (Technosquare F-spec ECU) helps the midrange A LOT with SSIM. The actual reason, I'm not sure, but the midrange gains from a dyno I saw were around ~20wtq.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:48 PM

OK.....................! IMO VIAS Delete on the stock IM provided a more streetable(flatter) torque curve than the narrow torque curve in which the SSIM, VIAS delete provided....once I install my new coils, spark plugs, upgraded V/c, and NWP spacers we'll see how much power I'm really making....I'm into 0-60 mph times, 40-60 mph accelerations/sec and 50-70 mph/sec and 0-100 mph/sec and I'll know within a matter of minutes if my mods are positive or negative in the real world with my measurement device/toy!

Last edited by CMax03; 12-10-2009 at 11:59 PM.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:24 AM

I have a 04 engine in my 02 max because it blew up. Now, how much horsepower do you all think i put out?
Old 12-11-2009, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by killer00
I have a 04 engine in my 02 max because it blew up. Now, how much horsepower do you all think i put out?
2hp. 4 on a good day.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:30 PM

OK.....................! IMO VIAS Delete on the stock IM provided a more streetable(flatter) torque curve than the narrow torque curve in which the SSIM, VIAS delete provided....
if you are trying to say that the SSIM has a narrow torque curve, you should probably look at this graph (both runs SSIM with z33 cvtc's, the higher one is headers, other is y-pipe)

Last edited by Gemner; 12-11-2009 at 06:38 PM.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by e-subliminal-2
2hp. 4 on a good day.
you have to count the extra 0.5 if he opens the door and pushes
Old 12-11-2009, 08:46 PM

you have to count the extra 0.5 if he opens the door and pushes
No, what REALLY makes power is if you get the 05!! Now those 3.5 motors are bad!! Totally worth a 5hp gain.
Anywho, back in target. This threads receiving alot more attention than I expected. Anyone who posts a "how do I get faster" thread after this.... Well, we know you didn't search hahaha.

I never looked into the upgraded ecu and 7500rpm redline, can someone emphasize on that for me? When it came to that I never really read up on it or found a good source of information on how it's done etc etc.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:57 PM

you take your ecu out... ship it to technosquare with your list of mods (usually done when you wont be getting any more big mods) and they flash it,.. 2 type of flashes.. a basic one.. and a custom one,.. difference is the custom one youj can ask for the z33 maps and blah blah.. and then they ship it back to you.. end of story,.. google search technosquare.. they have a pretty professional site and are in Cali.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:41 PM

The graphs I'm referring to had no Z33 maps nor ECU reflash from NICO....plus yours has smoothing which isn't the same as(standard) the NiCO charts which measured and showed every little barp/hiccup....Anyway...nice numbers
Old 12-12-2009, 04:16 AM

Jaypee did run those numbers. Matterfact he got an award at Maxus09 for that and I've saw it run a number of times. He doesn't have cams yet.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:59 AM
Toolie

in for the run files
Old 12-12-2009, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by mist max2000
you take your ecu out... ship it to technosquare with your list of mods (usually done when you wont be getting any more big mods) and they flash it,.. 2 type of flashes.. a basic one.. and a custom one,.. difference is the custom one youj can ask for the z33 maps and blah blah.. and then they ship it back to you.. end of story,.. google search technosquare.. they have a pretty professional site and are in Cali.
Thank you.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by 3jays2max0
Jaypee did run those numbers. Matterfact he got an award at Maxus09 for that and I've saw it run a number of times. He doesn't have cams yet.
isn't the entire intake manifold ported and polished, someone had mentioned that when he got off the dyno, i think he pulled a 278whp but it was hot as hell that day, like 90 degrees...
Old 12-12-2009, 09:28 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

if you are trying to say that the SSIM has a narrow torque curve, you should probably look at this graph (both runs SSIM with z33 cvtc's, the higher one is headers, other is y-pipe) [IMG]http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/6306/graphb.jpg[IMG]
Do you have a block-off plate/VIAS delete graph with the same mods to compare it to?
Old 12-13-2009, 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by nismology
Do you have a block-off plate/VIAS delete graph with the same mods to compare it to?
you always ask that. unfortunately this time im not suggesting the SSIM to anybody, im just showing very clearly that saying the SSIM has a narrow torque band is nonsense (when using z33 cvtc's, of course)
Old 12-13-2009, 08:26 AM

you always ask that. unfortunately this time im not suggesting the SSIM to anybody, im just showing very clearly that saying the SSIM has a narrow torque band is nonsense (when using z33 cvtc's, of course)
"narrow" is subjective depending on what the vias delete curve would look like. You can't make any statements about it without having a comparison.

Also, like you said, z33 cvtc's (or just adjustable cvtc's with a V-manage) are the only way to make the SSIM worthwhile.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by viperboy
Also, Jay_Pee has almost every bolt-on mod and a 3" exhaust and he is putting down 286hp, and I believe that is untuned as well. That thing is a monster and last I read was doing 12.58 1/4 mile. I could only dream of those numbers N/A!
link to dyno or thread
Old 12-13-2009, 03:49 PM

"narrow" is subjective depending on what the vias delete curve would look like. You can't make any statements about it without having a comparison.

Also, like you said, z33 cvtc's (or just adjustable cvtc's with a V-manage) are the only way to make the SSIM worthwhile.
im not sure how making 225wtq, with a peak of 240, from less than 2500 to over 6000 can be construed as narrow. Im not sure why, but there have not been many VIAS delete dynos to compare anything to. In fact, the VIAS delete dynos seem to show torque dropping off as early as 4000-4500, which is over 1000RPM earlier, which would certainly mean more narrow as the SSIM graph makes near peak (6%) torque from the beginning of the dyno

maybe saying the VIAS delete makes more torque would be the correct assesment, not that the torque band is wider

Last edited by Gemner; 12-13-2009 at 03:59 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 04:05 PM

im not sure how making 225wtq, with a peak of 240, from less than 2500 to over 6000 can be construed as narrow. Im not sure why, but there have not been many VIAS delete dynos to compare anything to
Well consider (figuratively) that a vias delete made 235wtq, with a peak of 250, from less than 2500 to over 6000 on the same car with the same mods, peaked the same horsepower, then made less power up until redline, you would probably say the torque curve was "less" narrow. Catch my drift? Obviously since we don't have any comparisons, those are all made up numbers.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:50 PM

the post was "the narrow band of the ssim", not the more narrow band. I was simply saying its not narrow. Whether its more or less narrow is not my point
Old 12-13-2009, 06:01 PM

I dont know why thats really questionable. sr20den put down 272 a while ago, and that was definitely not w/3" exhaust
More like 265 WHP.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:21 PM

im pretty sure at one point he put down 272...it doesnt matter though
Old 12-13-2009, 06:36 PM

You might be thinking of 96sleeper who made 273WHP using JWT S1 knockoff cams. In any case SR20DEN never exceeded 265 SAE corrected WHP and was never able to match it on subsequent dyno's. How someone can gain 20 WHP peak beyond what SR20 was able to do with just a 3" exhaust is beyond me. Can someone post a link to more info on this?
Old 12-13-2009, 06:42 PM
Demodded and Forgotten

Originally Posted by NiZMo1o1
link to dyno or thread

I've seen the thread. Link to runfiles or timeslips.

Quick Reply: Wanting 260whp...