5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Walker muffler vs Cattman muffler?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 10:36 PM

Walker muffler vs Cattman muffler?

So after a year of driving with these ebay mufflers, 1 month of WS Y-pipe + high flow cats, I realized I am more of a "quiet" types of rider. I have read many threads and so far my options are Walker/Bosal or OEM/Cattman. My question is, what is the difference between the OEM and Cattman mufflers? They are relatively the same price but I know from personal experience the OEM muffler has 0 drone on highway (and I do alot of highway driving). Any opinions on the Cattman muffler? Also, I googled walker exhaust and Amazon came up with this from Walker ... http://www.amazon.com/Walker-Exhaust...tive&carId=002 ... is that the actual muffler?
Old 01-02-2010, 11:17 PM

Walker is an OEM replacement. The Cattman is about the quietest straight through performance muffler you'll find.
Old 01-03-2010, 06:20 AM
My axles cry for mercy...

I love my cattman muffler. I get compliments on how nice it sounds all the time. Compare the volume with a factory G35/350Z. I have stock headers , y and b pipe by the way.

I've also heard cattman headers>fastcat>catback in person and it sounds like sex. No rasp at all. Just a nice increasing roar as the RPMs rise.
Old 01-03-2010, 06:25 AM

So in terms of loudness, would you say the Cattman is just as quiet as OEM? I was thinking Cattman but I don't want to spend $350+ and regret down the road.
Old 01-03-2010, 06:36 AM

Its just A few decibles louder than stock. But I wouldnt say its loud at all. If you keep the rest off the exaust stock you will not be disapointed in sound.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:02 AM

Alright thanks for chiming in, time to backorder one
Old 01-03-2010, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin319
So in terms of loudness, would you say the Cattman is just as quiet as OEM? I was thinking Cattman but I don't want to spend $350+ and regret down the road.
The Cattman exhaust is definitely louder than stock, and will no longer sound like your typical sedan. By the way I value these things, you could look at it this way: if you don't know cars, you might think it's loud, otherwise you'll like what you hear and wouldn't think for a minute that exhaust was rice.

I don't think you'll have any regrets.

Last edited by Rochester; 01-03-2010 at 09:09 AM.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Rochester
The Cattman exhaust is definitely louder than stock, and will no longer sound like your typical sedan. By the way I value these things, you could look at it this way: if you don't know cars, you might think it's loud, otherwise you'll like what you hear and wouldn't think for a minute that exhaust was rice.

I don't think you'll have any regrets.
to this. I have headers and a test pipe with a Cattman cat-back and it's not loud until I get on it. You'll be very pleased with the Cattman muffler, it's a refined sound.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by essential1
I've also heard cattman headers>fastcat>catback in person and it sounds like sex. No rasp at all. Just a nice increasing roar as the RPMs rise.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:43 PM

Alright guys last question, would the Cattman (or any company) bpipe make a difference in terms of loudness? I'm also looking towards replacing my bpipe and may opt for Cattman ... when it's back in stock.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:30 PM
DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS MEMBER - OWES PEOPLE MONEY

Originally Posted by Kevin319
Alright guys last question, would the Cattman (or any company) bpipe make a difference in terms of loudness? I'm also looking towards replacing my bpipe and may opt for Cattman ... when it's back in stock.
It eliminates the kink and still resonates out all the rasp. Pretty good option for a B-pipe!
Old 01-03-2010, 04:49 PM
Toolie

Before I put on the cattman headers i installed the cattman catback. The only time I noticed an increase of volume was when I was going uphill. The extra load made it sound a little louder. You won't be disappointed with this setup. At cruising speed, whether on the highway or on the streets, it sounded almost stock.
Old 01-03-2010, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by knight_yyz
Before I put on the cattman headers i installed the cattman catback. The only time I noticed an increase of volume was when I was going uphill. The extra load made it sound a little louder. You won't be disappointed with this setup. At cruising speed, whether on the highway or on the streets, it sounded almost stock.
I absolutely concur! I had the Cattman Catback, Cattman Ypipe and Warpspeed Metallic Substrate and it was very pleasant in town and on the freeway. A slight increase in tone but beautiful done...by Brian...But after adding Cattman headers I reinstalled the Oem muffler since I was sounding like a Ferrari....
Old 01-03-2010, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by CMax03
But after adding Cattman headers I reinstalled the Oem muffler since I was sounding like a Ferrari....
Yep, the headers/ypipe increase volume and make for a high pitched note.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:12 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

The Walker Quiet Flow muffler is the quietest performance muffler on the market that I know of, barely louder than stock at cruising speeds and a mellow deep idle.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Scottwax
The Walker Quiet Flow muffler is the quietest performance muffler on the market that I know of, barely louder than stock at cruising speeds and a mellow deep idle.
Cattman is straight through and can be had in 3", though. Hard to beat for performance without being loud.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by knight_yyz
Similar experience... had the Cattman catback for a year before installing the Cattman y-pipe. The tone deepened noticeably with the addition of the y-pipe, (and the power increased, naturally.) It didn't get "louder", just deeper.

Sparks pointed out recently that the uneven-length connectors in the cattman y-pipe is what allows for a deep tone.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:42 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by sparks03max
Cattman is straight through and can be had in 3", though. Hard to beat for performance without being loud.
I've had straight through mufflers and turbo style mufflers over the years and I can't tell a performance difference.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by essential1
I love my cattman muffler. I get compliments on how nice it sounds all the time. Compare the volume with a factory G35/350Z. I have stock headers , y and b pipe by the way.

hey man do you have a sound clip, I am considering just purchasing the rear muffler from Cattman. I want to know how it sounds first, with just the rear muffler, and stock everything else like you have.

sorry to bump the thread.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:35 AM

Ill tell you that it is very quite, I have everything stock with just rear section cattman and it just gives it a nice little roar very quite though
Old 01-17-2010, 08:42 AM

i would have to hear a Cattman compared to an Apexi WS2 interms of being quiet, if my exhaust didnt have a small leak in it, it would be dead quiet, this is with a y-pipe and unresonated test pipe aswell, because this vid makes me think otherwise:

Old 01-17-2010, 09:08 AM

^^^thats the reason i will never put a test pipe in my car...way too loud
Old 01-17-2010, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by b15philly
Ill tell you that it is very quite, I have everything stock with just rear section cattman and it just gives it a nice little roar very quite though
Do you have a sound clip?
Old 01-17-2010, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by HotshotVQ35
i wouldnt go that far, if u have a resonated test pipe it keeps the noise down, my test pipe is unresonated but the WS2 does a good job in controlling exhaust volume.

i believe thats Steven88s car too isnt it? sounds damn good even thou.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:52 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

My muffler had a hole in it and i keep it off. Not much for performance at all, but it sounds nice. (short ram with stock exhaust, except no muffler) Not loud and good combination of both sounds..
Old 01-18-2010, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by STILLENGLE
hey man do you have a sound clip, I am considering just purchasing the rear muffler from Cattman. I want to know how it sounds first, with just the rear muffler, and stock everything else like you have.

sorry to bump the thread.
I dont have a clip as of now. but I will soon have a before and after. I'm adding hotshot headers.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:03 AM

i have HS headers and a walker quiet flow. this is a tad bit louder than with the oem muffler but i like the sound.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by b15philly
Wow...I have just the opposite of you... Cattman headers/Warpspeed cat/Cattman bpipe with the stock trick muffler and it's sporty(burbly) and quiet....
Old 01-19-2010, 09:45 AM

all great info, nice thread. Looks like Cattman is the best way to go for non rice/rasp performance.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:29 AM

I had the full Cattman exhaust and really liked the sound. I only part that bothered me was the drone and finally I gave in and went with the Walker Quiet Flow, no regrets.

I believe the B-Pipe makes the biggest difference in performance.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:47 AM

YUP, agreed w/ a previous post- my muffler is off the car as of now too b/c it rotted through at the flange above the rear axle and I need a replacement. It actually has a 'Cute' sound w/o the muffler and I wouldn't mind something that produced a little noise.
The stocker is too damn quiet. BTW, I just have a short-ram intake and intake spacers!

Cattman is quite costly and I'm thinking I"m just gonna go with the Walker axle-back for liek $137 from Advance Auto....
Old 01-23-2010, 09:58 AM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Doubt the test pipe is the problem.

Test pipe (non-resonated, straight through design) in an otherwise stock exhaust:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKR5QpYq_Yw
Old 01-23-2010, 10:31 AM

you dont have headers or exhaust, so a test pipe wont be loud at all.

Doubt the test pipe is the problem.

Test pipe (non-resonated, straight through design) in an otherwise stock exhaust:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKR5QpYq_Yw
Old 01-23-2010, 03:16 PM

it depends on ur definition of loud really in this case. like my exhuast which i have no resonators except in the catback, i find quite quiet. the only time i really hear it is when i open it up. which i even then i dont consider really loud, my friends cars i consider loud:

Old 01-23-2010, 03:33 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

you dont have headers or exhaust, so a test pipe wont be loud at all.
If it doesn't add much volume to a stock exhaust, it probably won't to a modified exhaust either. The cast iron exhaust manifolds, stock resonator and muffler are what keep the stock exhaust quiet.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:01 PM

Anyone put a Walker muffler/axle-back on their car?

Is the fitment proper, tail pipes stick out at a proper length?

I think I'm just going to go this route since it's only $130 NEW rather than paying for someone's used axle-back with XX,000 miles on it.

Should do the trick....
Old 01-23-2010, 04:42 PM

i guess opinion on sounds vary, as i heard cars with headers and exhaust plus test pipe and it was way to loud and raspy for me. i like how mine sounds just fine!

If it doesn't add much volume to a stock exhaust, it probably won't to a modified exhaust either. The cast iron exhaust manifolds, stock resonator and muffler are what keep the stock exhaust quiet.
Old 01-23-2010, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by '02_EMILBUS
Anyone put a Walker muffler/axle-back on their car?

Is the fitment proper, tail pipes stick out at a proper length?

I think I'm just going to go this route since it's only $130 NEW rather than paying for someone's used axle-back with XX,000 miles on it.

Should do the trick....
It fit perfect, no issues at all.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by RLW001
It fit perfect, no issues at all.
THANK YOU! And you're happy with the sound? You say a littler louder than stock? MY stock exhaust has no sound at all so I wouldn't mind a little so you can hear the car. But it is for sale so it doesn't quite matter to me; I just hope it sells soon!!

Thanks for the info and definitely an informative thread!
Old 01-23-2010, 09:41 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

i guess opinion on sounds vary, as i heard cars with headers and exhaust plus test pipe and it was way to loud and raspy for me. i like how mine sounds just fine!
When I had my Accord with a DC Sport header, a Magnaflow with no resonator was horrifyingly loud and even adding a resonator was enough to get rid of the drone. I switched to a turbo style muffler and it really quieted it down. My cold air intake was louder.

Quick Reply: Walker muffler vs Cattman muffler?