5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

For those thinking about a Cali to Fed emissions conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2001, 06:17 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

For those thinking about a Cali to Fed emissions conversion

I was just reading some old posts on this and thought I'd give everybody an update on my conversion. I did this on my auto a few months ago and I know that Desert Pearl showed minimal gains when he dynoed his AE. But I don't think he also installed the front fed spec heatshield. I purchased one from Dave Burnett and did notice a difference in acceleration. I haven't dynoed my car but I can tell you that this is a good mod if you've got the time. I think including the heatshield not only helps to keep underhood temps a bit lower but also ensures that exhaust velocity is similar for both manifolds thus increasing horsepower.

Also I tried wrapping my y-pipe with header wrap a few weeks ago. This did make a noticeable difference as well. BUT I unwrapped a portion after about a week to check the pipe. There was already a very noticeable build up of crystals/rust! I don't think the pipe would have lasted more than a few months before it either rusted though or cracked (I've got the Stillen pipe). So this is definitely NOT something you want to do long term.

KEV - you may want to check this on your Max.
Old 12-04-2001, 06:28 PM
Got Bent?

I wonder if the Cattman pipe would maybe fare a little better when wrapped since it is SS....
Old 12-04-2001, 06:34 PM

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE
I wonder if the Cattman pipe would maybe fare a little better when wrapped since it is SS....

I think Brian Catts or someone who spoke with Brian replied to a post about this a while back and said that even a SS pipe will rust!
Old 12-04-2001, 08:48 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: For those thinking about a Cali to Fed emissions conversion

Originally posted by sleepermax

KEV - you may want to check this on your Max.
No signs of rust or crystalization. Where are you from? East Coast? Rain/snow?
Old 12-05-2001, 04:08 AM
Got Bent?

hmmm.... instead of a wrap, I wonder if fabricating some sort of a heat shield for aftermarket y-pipes would work...
Old 12-05-2001, 05:06 AM

Cali to FED?!

What exactly did you swap over to FED? I may want to consider this...
Old 12-05-2001, 05:21 AM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by Synki
Cali to FED?!

What exactly did you swap over to FED? I may want to consider this...

it involves swapping the front exhaust manifold to a fed spec exhaust manifold and moving the O2 sensors that go into the front manifold back to behind the main cat. You can get the manifold from a junk yard for pretty cheap. Oh, and you will also need a fed spec y-pipe
Old 12-05-2001, 09:44 AM

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE

it involves swapping the front exhaust manifold to a fed spec exhaust manifold and moving the O2 sensors that go into the front manifold back to behind the main cat. You can get the manifold from a junk yard for pretty cheap. Oh, and you will also need a fed spec y-pipe
That is it? I thought there would have been some more to it, like removing a few sensors or something.

Thank god i have that Stealin 2 piece Y-pipe. The manifold should be rather easy to find.
Old 12-05-2001, 09:47 AM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by Synki

That is it? I thought there would have been some more to it, like removing a few sensors or something.

Thank god i have that Stealin 2 piece Y-pipe. The manifold should be rather easy to find.

that's all that this conversion requires.... now, if you could somehow get a fed spec ECU to work, then we'd be in real business
Old 12-05-2001, 12:48 PM

Kev - I live in Austin and there wasn't any rain the week I had the wrap on. I used DEI wrap - what are you using?

Synki - I think you have a '99. This conversion really only applies to Cali spec 2K's and all 2K1's.

Here's what you get rid of with this conversion.

Here's where you put the two O2 sensors that need to be relocated.

UMD - I thought the only time the Fed Spec ECU would possibly be beneficial is at WOT since this is the only point wher the air/fuel mixture is preprogrammed? Doesn't the ECU learn and adjust at all other points? I'm very happy with the results especially after I installed the heatshield. I just bought a 2K1 5 speed MAX with 12K miles, so at the moment I have two Max's. My plan was to sell my auto and transfer all the mods to the five speed. But I just placed an ad to sell the 5 speed! After driving it around for a couple of days through the exact same roads/streets/highways I can honestly tell you it's not any faster than my modded auto! By the way, if the weather holds up I'll probably be going to the track for the first time Friday night along with Adam (The New Climax). I'll post my timeslip if I do!
Old 12-05-2001, 02:43 PM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by sleepermax

UMD - I thought the only time the Fed Spec ECU would possibly be beneficial is at WOT since this is the only point wher the air/fuel mixture is preprogrammed? Doesn't the ECU learn and adjust at all other points? I'm very happy with the results especially after I installed the heatshield. I just bought a 2K1 5 speed MAX with 12K miles, so at the moment I have two Max's. My plan was to sell my auto and transfer all the mods to the five speed. But I just placed an ad to sell the 5 speed! After driving it around for a couple of days through the exact same roads/streets/highways I can honestly tell you it's not any faster than my modded auto! By the way, if the weather holds up I'll probably be going to the track for the first time Friday night along with Adam (The New Climax). I'll post my timeslip if I do!
That's true.... WOT fuel maps are preset. But, there is at least one more additional part that the Cali spec maxima has that the fed spec does not. In the intake manifold, there is some sort of a swirl controller that may make for a more restrictive intake. I don't know if you could do anything about that, but who knows?

Looking forward to your track results