5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Sigh.... Rust...Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 12:09 PM

Sigh.... Rust...Help

I have rust on the rear fenderwells...its pretty minor but I was wondering...is it fixable and would it be pricey? figured id ask on here before I start going around to shops to see.

also my buddy told me I should also look at seeing if there was a recall or issue with rusting on the rear fenderwells of these cars, because he said the dealership may be able to help me...not sure but figured id ask anyway as its onl the rear fenderwells that are rusting and now the fronts.
Thanks

P.S: the car came from Ohio...damn salted snowy roads
http://i402.photobucket.com/albums/p...maximarust.jpg
Old 01-24-2010, 12:31 PM

Sorry to say, but the stealership WILL help you if you give them the money to do it. Looks like the corrosion is pretty deep...this would require cutting out all the bad metal and welding on new, then bondo and paint. Won't be cheap.....

Well, after looking at the pic. Is there any other place with rust like this? Looks like you got damage in that fender then it rusted. They would sand it all down and fill it with new material most likely.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:35 PM

no thats the worst side ( passenger rear fenderwell)...ill go get some better pics of both sides so it gives you a better idea of what im dealing with, give me a bit.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:44 PM

this is the drivers side damage

and heres the passenger side

its not all the way around the fenderwell just those general areas.
Old 01-24-2010, 02:24 PM

That's not starting to rust, it's rusted through. The only way to fix that is to cut it out and weld in new. As for the other side you could cheap out and grind it out and bondo it. And repaint of coarse. How many miles on the car and what is the overall condition; interior, paint, rad support, mechanical, etc?
The answer to those questions would go a long way in determining for me how much I'd spend on it.
Old 01-24-2010, 02:42 PM

the car has 111k bought it when it had 97 in 2008. overall the car is flawless interior is perfect, mechanically its drives/sounds great, paint is in great condition, radiator support is fine. it had a little surface rust on the undercarriage but my dad and I took car of that with some kind of rust stuff that we bought at a local hardware store.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:38 PM

Well, if you really like the car, take it to a couple of body shops and see how much it will cost you to fix it properly. If you plan on keeping it for several more years, don't cheap out on the repair.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:43 PM

yeah I plan on keeping the car im still making payments on it actually... I kept my last maxima for over 400,000 miles and still purred likea kitten.