5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

intake manifold difficulties

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 04:18 PM

intake manifold difficulties

i have been browsing and no one really has a pic of an easy way to take the uim off a 2000 maxima. i have jacked up the engine and i still cannot manage to get the back bracket off the side where the passenger. help please ive been here all day fighting with it.
Old 02-15-2010, 04:42 PM

pix bro!!
Old 02-15-2010, 04:54 PM
Toolie

feel for it. use a tiny ratchet and just dig around until you find it.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by knight_yyz
feel for it. use a tiny ratchet and just dig around until you find it.
+1. Don't be afraid to bump up against that hose along the firewall to loosen the bolt (but don't be too reckless & end up puncturing it or something).

Have you seen this how-to? It's for an 02 but a lot of the steps should be similar.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:06 PM

I got at the rear bracket bolts with an 18" breaker bar and a regular-depth socket to break it loose. After that, I used a ratcheting wrench to work it out of there.

I forget how I got at it with the breaker bar, but if you get in there at the right angle, those bracket bolts are a breeeze.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:23 PM

i finally got it after hours of trying to get those damn bolts. i had to bend the bracket part that holds the hose. i wouldnt wish this on anyone. but from what i hear it will be worth it.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:40 PM

Good to know you finally got it off.

Why exactly are you taking it off?

Get yourself a set of those for the re-install. They're seriously effing lifesavers.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:48 PM

Cool, glad you got it.

When I did my plugs/rear-valve-cover & put everything back together, I forgot to install one of those rear bolts. Spent a whole week avoiding the reinstall of that bolt. It's still on there finger-tight, now that I think about it.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:33 AM

problem starting

now i am having a problem starting the car. it will rev continually and then eventually rev lower and lower until the car stalls. i can do it over and over but still no starting
Old 02-16-2010, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by rayac88
now i am having a problem starting the car. it will rev continually and then eventually rev lower and lower until the car stalls. i can do it over and over but still no starting
Bummer...do you mind telling us what you did to the car besides the obvious (remove the intake manifold) so we can help you diagnose your problem? I don't have a clue what your problem is but I'd start my making sure you have hooked everything back up (sensors) properly...then reset the ECU.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:29 AM

i put the phenolic spacers on from nwp. everything fit down fine with the rtv. i have checked the vacuum hoses 5 times atleast already. i did notice that the egr bracket was missing when i was attempting to put back on the uim. so the egr isnt quite bolted down.
as far as resetting the ecu i did everything with the battery disconnected. so it had plenty of time to reset
Old 02-16-2010, 11:45 AM

i put the phenolic spacers on from nwp. everything fit down fine with the rtv. i have checked the vacuum hoses 5 times atleast already. i did notice that the egr bracket was missing when i was attempting to put back on the uim. so the egr isnt quite bolted down.
as far as resetting the ecu i did everything with the battery disconnected. so it had plenty of time to reset
Check them 5 times more. And then check your electrical connections.

You might a vaccuum in and out hose switched up. Or you might not have a electrical connection snugged up somewhere.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:30 PM

i had a mechanic look at it and he will look tomorrow to see if its possible i mixed he fuel lines up. other than that there isnt much light and he said it something with the fuel line cuz the engine doesnt keep an idle. it sucks cuz my car is stuck in my garage and no way to get it to a shop without paying for towing. does any one have pics of the lines to the fuel rail?
Old 02-16-2010, 07:51 PM

The missing egr bracket is your problem.. the unmetered air thats getting pass the egr valve is causing your iac valve to completely close causing your car to die.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by cmax1
The missing egr bracket is your problem.. the unmetered air thats getting pass the egr valve is causing your iac valve to completely close causing your car to die.
is there a way to get the valve on without having to remove the plenum? or a way to just override the egr to make sure its that. cuz if an egr is bad i dont see why the enginge should shut off. the car doesnt get a constant idle not even for a second.
can anyone second the opinion of the egr plate?
Old 02-16-2010, 09:03 PM

is there a way to get the valve on without having to remove the plenum? or a way to just override the egr to make sure its that. cuz if an egr is bad i dont see why the enginge should shut off. the car doesnt get a constant idle not even for a second.
can anyone second the opinion of the egr plate?
I got egr block off plates on my car... Still have all sensor plugged in but all the plumbing is gone. I made plates
Old 02-16-2010, 09:10 PM

just wondering why you got the NWP spacers? i didnt even think they made them for the 00-01 since the 00VI intake is plastic and doesn't really heat up and there are no real gains. Am i missing something?
Old 02-16-2010, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Feldman
just wondering why you got the NWP spacers? i didnt even think they made them for the 00-01 since the 00VI intake is plastic and doesn't really heat up and there are no real gains. Am i missing something?
nope, you are right on
Old 02-16-2010, 09:47 PM

although the plenum is plastic the lower one isnt so that's really what i got it for. and a little extra couldnt hurt.
can any one second the idea that the egr plate is causing the problem?
i dont wanna to go taking things apart just for that plate
Old 02-17-2010, 08:41 AM

ok i have the egr plate on but when doing final checks i saw that i am actually missing a vacuum hose. its the hose on the far passenger side of the plenum. it points directly to the side of the wheel well. there is also a tube attached to the same part that points up to the hood. i wish i could post pics.
what i need to know is where does that hose come from cuz i cant seem to find it in my engine bay
Old 02-17-2010, 10:45 AM

the car is working it was that egr valve bracket. thanks cmax1! the idle is just above 600 rpms and i can barely tell the car is on all i hear is the sounds of the intake
Old 04-04-2010, 01:44 PM

wow,

I had to replace the knock sensor and instead of buying the expensive oem gaskets i thought I would put the NWP spacers on and get some performance gains out of it as well. After i put it all back together I have the exact same problem as you! My car is a 2001 tho and doesn't have the egr tubes. Did you keep the rubber gasket in the UIM when you reinstalled it? I am wondering whether that is the problem and air is getting in somehow or if i didn't push in the injectors far enough, it is the exact same problem that you are describing, I'm positive it's not a vacuum hose tho!!
Old 04-06-2010, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by McSteve
wow,

I had to replace the knock sensor and instead of buying the expensive oem gaskets i thought I would put the NWP spacers on and get some performance gains out of it as well. After i put it all back together I have the exact same problem as you! My car is a 2001 tho and doesn't have the egr tubes. Did you keep the rubber gasket in the UIM when you reinstalled it? I am wondering whether that is the problem and air is getting in somehow or if i didn't push in the injectors far enough, it is the exact same problem that you are describing, I'm positive it's not a vacuum hose tho!!
i think i did keep the rubber gasket in the upper. did you take the brackets off in the back of the engine? when i first sat the upper back on it was resting on the bracket so i had to bend that bracket close to the firewall so it would actually seal.other than that i have no idea what else it would be. what does it sound like when you try to start it? does it misfire? crank?
Old 04-06-2010, 09:49 AM

I fixed it and I opened up a thread on here too about the entire process. There is a hole in the elbow right behind the throttle body and the support bracket seals that off. In order for it to fit I had to cut the bracket off from the support arm and mounted it.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:51 PM

I heard even on horsepower tv its not all about the heat its about extending the length of the IM for more better flow of the air or something of that sort, so there should be some increase!!