5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Door Handle LEDs DIY/HOW-TO

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 11:17 AM

Door Handle LEDs DIY/HOW-TO

Ok, so I decided to put in some exterior door handle LEDs yesterday (blue, to match the rest of my interior LEDs).
-Now, about the procedure. The only way to get the door handle LEDs to light up when you push 'unlock' on your keyfob is to wire them to the dome light inside the car. You have to wire both positive AND negative LED leads to the dome light wires, because it is ground controlled (the positive always has power, even when the car is off, but the ground controls when the LEDs are on) In this write-up, I will explain the easiest way to wire everything up. It requires no drilling... just a couple quick splice connecters, some soldering skills, and a hot glue gun. You also have to know how to take the door panels off (search for that, it's really quite simple).
-Here is a video of my LEDs in action (sorry for the quality, but you get the idea):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPUlgy96BiA

So, here we go...

First, remove the A-pillars by pulling from the top (there are a few snaps, and the pillars will come out easily) This is where the dome light wires run.

As you can see, I spliced into the dome light wires here. The red wire with the stripe (i think the stripe is grey... anyway, it's the only red wire with a stripe) is the positive wire. The plain red wire is the dome light ground. I spliced a wire into each. (the wires I spliced in were each about 8 inches long) It's a small space under the pillar, so I didn't want to use a ton of wire taps... so what I did was use my soldering gun to melt the insulation off the 8 in. wires that I spliced in in as many places as I needed to power all 4 door handle LEDs. (I just soldered those wires in where I stripped the 8 inch wires)

To get power to the passenger side of the car, I simply ran a wire (spliced into the 8 inch wires) under the front edge of the headliner to the passenger side A-pillar. NOTE: Be sure to solder in a resistor for each of the LEDs somewhere in each of the positive wires INSIDE THE CAR (much easier than trying to do it right by each LED, cuz there isn't much space in each door handle)

Now, to get power to each of the back doors, just run wires (spliced into the 8 inch wire for the driver's side, and spliced into the wire you already ran across for the passenger side) under the weather stripping that is helping hold the headliner in.

Now, you'll need to run a wire down each of the B-Pillars. To get these off, simply pop off the seatbelt cap piece (exposing a 14mm bolt holding the seatbelt on) Remove the bolt to get the seatbelt out of the way. Now you'll be able to remove the pillar. Pull from the top (same as with the A-pillars) first, and you should be able to get them off pretty easily.

Last edited by jowo9; 02-17-2010 at 11:35 AM.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:35 AM

The bottom portion of the B-pillar (the one that goes down to the floor) doesn't need to come all the way off, but you'll need to pull it out far enough to be able to run the wires under the weather stripping as shown

Now run each of the wires under all of the weather stripping you see, and then under the door panels that you've already popped off. Make a small hole in the vapor barrier (you may have to temporarily pull the corner of this off to thread the wire to the door handle) and run the wire through. Then run it through a hole in the metal to the BACKMOST of the 2 holes under the door handle. (you'll have to hold the handle up to get the wire through)

Make sure that the wire runs in to the underside of the door handle through the hole already present in the BACK SIDE of the handle (you can see it when the handle is pulled out) Once the wire is through, solder on an LED, and put electrical tape on any exposed wire/metal where you soldered. Then, as shown, use a hot glue gun to glue LED (and wire) in place.

-As you can see, I didn't run the wires through the channel that all the other door wires run through, because I knew that would be a huge hassle. I can deal with the wires where they are... they're quite inconspicuous and it saved me a lot of time and effort. I'll probably color them black with a sharpie. If you have any questions, please post them on the thread so that everyone can benefit from the answers. Thanks!!

Video of Door Handle LEDs in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPUlgy96BiA

Links to my other LED mods:
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...-led-mods.html
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...-109-leds.html

Last edited by jowo9; 02-17-2010 at 11:37 AM.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:53 AM
You embarrass me.

Nice write up. I'm not too big on the wires being exposed, but I wasn't aware that the dome light wires run up the driver's side A-pillar. I will be doing this mod soon. Post up some more night pics when you can.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:06 PM

nice writeup! im gonna use this same idea to wire led strips on my door sills, i also had no clue there were dome wires in that pillar.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:18 PM

nice write up! its better than mine lol u can also splice into the ignition switch light as well. i used the same method of no drilling the handles, for the back door wires i just ran mine inside the existing rubber sleeve where the rest of the wires are fed. i used the same exact wire. i mounted my leds the same way but the bulbs are butt against the sides of the handles. im going to be doing more on mine soon.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:27 PM

heres an example of mine i havent secured them yet but basically the same thing i used blue as well
Old 02-17-2010, 12:33 PM

Yeah, having the wires show isn't a big deal to me. IMO it beats the hassle of trying to run them through the channels. I tried it on the driver's side, and it was waaaay to difficult and not worth the time. Again, my opinion only...

And yeah, I'll post some nighttime pics as soon as i can get them.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

a few things:

A) speaker wire...um....
B) i've said it time and time again. there is a place behind the door hinge that will get you into the cabin from the door. very hidden.
C) instead of having wires ran all over your car, tap the SECU. I made a pinout diagram of it for my TDM folding mirrors.

good luck to anyone who attempts this in the future, these tips will make for a lot cleaner installation.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:14 PM

Post up some more night pics
Old 02-17-2010, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by vastmax
a few things:

A) speaker wire...um....
B) i've said it time and time again. there is a place behind the door hinge that will get you into the cabin from the door. very hidden.
C) instead of having wires ran all over your car, tap the SECU. I made a pinout diagram of it for my TDM folding mirrors.

good luck to anyone who attempts this in the future, these tips will make for a lot cleaner installation.
A) its 24 gauge (super small and easy to run), there are 2 wires together, and I had it laying around and don't have the money to go buy pointless other wire.
B) Ok, but this was 10 times easier.
C) Either way, I don't see a huge difference. Running the wires took me all of 10 minutes. I simply tapped into the dome light wires in the A-pillar.
-The only thing that would have made this installation cleaner would be to conceal the wires. I explained why I didn't do this, and anyone who wants to can go ahead. Next time try the giving your suggestions and personal methods without sarcastic comments about the type of wire I used (which incidentally doesn't make the slightest difference).

Last edited by jowo9; 02-17-2010 at 07:47 PM.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:02 PM

Nice write-up. This project does require alot of time if you want to make it look professional and hidden.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:06 PM

nice mod
Old 02-17-2010, 11:05 PM

wow, really nice idea!
Old 02-17-2010, 11:48 PM

Looks good. The only thing that would concern me about running over the door like that versus through the wire channel, though, is the opening and closing of the door may potentially break a wire, or pull something loose if a wire gets stretched. Especially if your buddies are like mine and are notorious door slammers.

Just my gut feeling, though. FWIW, I ran my speaker wires through the channels on another one of my cars. Took about 10 minutes extra.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:22 PM

im running the same gauge speaker wire as well i had 75ft of it laying around and i used pre wired leds from ebay. in all honesty ur running 2 little low powered lites theres no point in spending a redic amount of money on something so simple and small, speaker wire should be perfectly fine ive used it numerious times with 12v lites for neon, leds and have never had problems.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by bigpopaj369
im running the same gauge speaker wire as well i had 75ft of it laying around and i used pre wired leds from ebay. in all honesty ur running 2 little low powered lites theres no point in spending a redic amount of money on something so simple and small, speaker wire should be perfectly fine ive used it numerious times with 12v lites for neon, leds and have never had problems.
Any gauge of speaker wire works just fine on a 12 volt car battery. Used it for years.

And nice job on the LEDs. Looks like I have a new project when it gets warmer outside.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by ZGadson
Any gauge of speaker wire works just fine on a 12 volt car battery. Used it for years.

And nice job on the LEDs. Looks like I have a new project when it gets warmer outside.
ya its definitely a fun lil project esp for the guys who have the mod itch like i do lol
Old 02-18-2010, 05:12 PM

Yeah, I've really been enjoying it the last couple nights definitely worth it!
Old 02-18-2010, 07:47 PM
Turbo'd Saab

Originally Posted by jowo9
A) its 24 gauge (super small and easy to run), there are 2 wires together, and I had it laying around and don't have the money to go buy pointless other wire.
Agreed, wire is wire, as long as its copper your good to go. Who cares if its speaker wire
Old 02-18-2010, 07:48 PM
Turbo'd Saab

Yeah, I've really been enjoying it the last couple nights definitely worth it!
I love it on my Grand prix! Once I finish this projector retro fit, I'll have red glowing projectors when my door handles light up too. hehe
Old 02-19-2010, 10:53 PM

thinki imma put these on mines now!
Old 02-22-2010, 06:49 AM

just installed some white leds in my max this past weekend. im pretty excited about the end result with this mod. thanks for the write up. check out mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppX0i5LIzjQ
Old 02-22-2010, 07:23 AM

nice guys...this is on my list for 'when it gets nice'
Old 02-22-2010, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by vastmax
a few things:

A) speaker wire...um....

can you send me the diagram you made?
Old 02-22-2010, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by fitness stain

Look up led / folding mirrors. Vastmax made a great pinout diagram off the secu that worked without any trouble. Just a little patience is needed lying on your back to see the wires but his diagram is clearly layed out for ANYONE to understand. Good luck.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:39 AM

so i pulled the fuse out to start on this today and i cut the 2 wires for the dome in the A-pillar and now when i reconnect them i get the dome lite on constantly. wtf? would cause this? i changed out the fuse (which wasnt blown) and it doesnt change a thing
Old 02-23-2010, 05:49 AM

u should have used better wire not just some random speaker wire , clean them up that looks sloppy
Old 02-23-2010, 11:49 AM

so i pulled the fuse out to start on this today and i cut the 2 wires for the dome in the A-pillar and now when i reconnect them i get the dome lite on constantly. wtf? would cause this? i changed out the fuse (which wasnt blown) and it doesnt change a thing
anybody know anything on this???
Old 02-23-2010, 01:16 PM

anybody know anything on this???
when you connected the wires back are you sure they are not reversed. the dome light come on with a ground switch. i think if you have those wire crossed then i think you would get this type of result. the red/green wire is positive and the solid red wire is negative. gl with the light.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by cajun1104
when you connected the wires back are you sure they are not reversed. the dome light come on with a ground switch. i think if you have those wire crossed then i think you would get this type of result. the red/green wire is positive and the solid red wire is negative. gl with the light.
nope they arent crossed, now my friggin map light doesnt work? ughh idk wtf is goin on
Old 02-26-2010, 01:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by fitness stain
here's the thread:
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...n-looking.html

and the pinout:

also, instead of cutting wires...you should use taps, these are my favorites:
Old 02-26-2010, 02:03 PM
KC's FINEST

http://forums.maxima.org/6th-generat...light-mod.html

My contribution.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Max_Man116
u should have used better wire not just some random speaker wire , clean them up that looks sloppy
You're a tool... I could say your rims look like garbage, but wouldn't, because you just don't say things like that. Grow up.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:42 PM

You're a tool... I could say your rims look like garbage, but wouldn't, because you just don't say things like that. Grow up.
Fine, I'll say it for you.... Rims look like garbage
Old 04-18-2010, 10:19 AM

Firstly - its a DIY so do it yourself and if your not happy with his work....do it yourself.
Secondly - LOL @ those rims.
Thirdly - Thanks for the write up.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:17 PM
You embarrass me.

Just finished this mod. Credit to jowo9 for this write-up, helped me out 100%. I'll post up pics/vid when I get a chance.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by zero2sixtyZ
Just finished this mod. Credit to jowo9 for this write-up, helped me out 100%. I'll post up pics/vid when I get a chance.
Haha, nice to see one of my threads helping out
Old 07-21-2010, 02:23 AM
Turbo'd Saab

So is this what you were doing instead of coming to that meet?
Old 07-21-2010, 06:52 AM
You embarrass me.

Haha, no it was done after because I needed something to join "The Elite" club.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:23 AM

Hey greaT write up and info. I want to use this to wire neon tubes to my footwell. But i was wondering that if i use neon tubes rather than LEDs do i still need resistors?

Quick Reply: Door Handle LEDs DIY/HOW-TO