5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Gen 6 -vs- Gen 5.5 Cable Shifter Bracket

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 04:53 PM

Gen 6 -vs- Gen 5.5 Cable Shifter Bracket

As many of you know or have experienced, there is potential for the cable shift bracket on the '02-'03 6MT to snap over time from harsh shifting and/or bad Nissan design.

I had the unfortunate opportunity to experience this about two weeks ago and my new bracket finally came today. I purchased this bracket through Dave B. @ South Point Nissan. Great guy and excellent service.

Dave B: (888)-254-6060

After we spoke about prices, availability and options, I decided to order the 2006 6th Gen shift bracket. The main reason was price. I was able to get a brand new shift bracket, shipped, for only $15.72 compared to much higher prices for one of the two different 5.5 gen version , or one of the other 6th gen version. Yes there were four different designs between 2002 and 2006 before they dropped the 6MT and went 100% CVT.

As you can see there is definately a difference in the design as well as the location of the shifter cable connection. It actually sits a bit higher and slightly different angle. Installation was simple and fit perfectly. Simple as putting it back in the same way you took it out. (Two 10mm bolts and two cable clips)

I now have full shift capability and am extremely happy with the results...

...so on to the pictures.

(left is 6th gen - right is 5.5 gen)

For reference (Years list is best I could gather from my research):

34448-AU000 for 2002,
34448-8H800 for 2003,
34448-8J000 for 2004-2005,
34448-ZA300 for 2006
Old 02-17-2010, 05:48 PM

For reference (from http://www.everythingnissan.com):

Old 02-17-2010, 06:00 PM

Nice! Amazed at how they can charge such different prices for practically the same part...

Just for comparison, I paid $9.47 + $6.25 shipping = $15.72.

www.everythingnissan.com is $8.35 + $9.99 shipping = $18.34.

Dave B. FTW!
Old 02-18-2010, 05:18 AM

any pictures of it installed?
Old 02-18-2010, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Shift_Max
any pictures of it installed?
I'll get a pic of it at lunchtime so you can see orientation of shift cable...
Old 02-18-2010, 07:19 AM

Did anything change or get better than it used to be?
Old 02-18-2010, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by kcxd35
Did anything change or get better than it used to be?
I honestly can't say. I've been driving my buddies '93 Civic with +300k miles for the last 2 weeks so I got use to the way it felt. I was so happy to get back into my car. All I can say is it "feels" tighter, but then again, the Honduh shifter pattern and clutch pedal is so freaking soft & loose compared to the Max...

Pictures of it installed as requested:

Old 02-18-2010, 12:13 PM

nismopc, do you have the STS mod (or adapter) as well?

I'm asking, because moving the shifter cables has a dramatic effect at the other end, and this 6.0 gen bracket looks like one of the cables is offset compared to the 5.5.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:23 PM
DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS MEMBER - OWES PEOPLE MONEY

I replaced mine with the same one after breaking it. There is just NO reinforcement in the center section where it broke... the new one seems to remedy that.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester
nismopc, do you have the STS mod (or adapter) as well?

I'm asking, because moving the shifter cables has a dramatic effect at the other end, and this 6.0 gen bracket looks like one of the cables is offset compared to the 5.5.
Yes, I posted in another thread that I did the DIY STS. I also noted in the first post above that the shift cable sits a slight bit higher and offset compared to the 2002 version that broke.

If anything it moved the shift cable back approx. 3/4" which if I am not mistaken would center the actual shifter better with those who did the STS mod??? My shifter is definately quite centered now in center console. I recall it sitting a bit forward and to the left, but can't completely recall.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by nismopc
If anything it moved the shift cable back approx. 3/4" which if I am not mistaken would center the actual shifter better with those who did the STS mod??? My shifter is definately quite centered now in center console. I recall it sitting a bit forward and to the left, but can't completely recall.
Now THAT'S interesting! A stronger bracket that realigns the shifter back to center for 6MT's running with the STS.

Glad I read into this thread. This is certainly something to remember if or when the need arises. Considering the negligible expense, it's almost worth doing proactively.

Thanks, nismopc.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:47 PM

Thanks, nismopc.
No prob...

...just for shniggles I'll take an overhead pic of the shift console in neutral and potentially the 6 gears and R to see if others agree with my observations.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:47 PM

Now THAT'S interesting! A stronger bracket that realigns the shifter back to center for 6MT's running with the STS.

Glad I read into this thread. This is certainly something to remember if or when the need arises. Considering the negligible expense, it's almost worth doing proactively.

Thanks, nismopc.
Proactively is way better than reactively...

It sucked breaking my bracket the run after my 13.01, after having banged the limiter in first on that run... knowing I had a 12!!!

Even more fun was driving home like this:

Old 02-18-2010, 01:02 PM

^^^^^ needs more duct tape.

Doesn't the 6th gen have a short throw courtesy of different shift cable attachment points? So it would make sense this part was designed to accommodate the shorter throw attained in a 5.5 with a STS.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:04 PM

For the price, all 5.5 gen 6MT owners should buy one of these brackets and keep it in the car with a 10mm open ended wrench. ;-) Right beside thier MAG flashlight and First Aid kits...
Old 02-18-2010, 01:43 PM

No prob...

...just for shniggles I'll take an overhead pic of the shift console in neutral and potentially the 6 gears and R to see if others agree with my observations.
Please do. I'm curious. Kind of want to take the laptop out to the car to stare and compare.

No, I wouldn't keep it in the trunk with a ratchet set, I'd just spend the $20 and do the swap. Actually (cue the lame DIY violins), I think I might just buy it and give it to my mechanic for when he does my suspension & brakes this April.

Sparks, regarding your zip-ties... mouth-open speechless. The difference between Brave and Crazy is whether or not you get home in once piece.

[edit]

So here's a more relevant question: Is the bracket breaking because you guys are beating the crap out of it while drag racing, or is this a part that's prone to fail regardless of abuses? What's your opinion? Looking at the 2 parts, it seems the 5.5 bracket lacks the additional structural integrity designed into the 2006 part.

Last edited by Rochester; 02-18-2010 at 01:58 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:59 PM

Sparks, regarding your zip-ties... mouth-open speechless. The difference between Brave and Crazy is whether or not you get home in once piece.
It's not like I zip tied my axle together or something...

I used a large amount of them to guarantee that if 1-2 of them got worked lose from the cable movement or got torqued in a way that they would not hold, I would still have a bunch more with several different angles to make sure it didn't get loose.

Worst case if the zip ties broke during a shift, I would have simply pulled over and manually stuck it in a gear then launched easy... After the run where it broke, I got out of the car, saw it, cursed a few times, then just popped it into 3rd gear (just moved the shifter linkage manually) and went back. Not such a big deal, so I don't think either brave or crazy applies in this case.

It's really easy btw... 20 minutes, a pair of pliers and a 10mm wrench and you're done. The most "difficult" part was getting the lock washer back on, but that was still just a few minutes spent figuring out how to hold it well enough with the pliers to put some real force down.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:05 PM

So here's a more relevant question: Is the bracket breaking because you guys are beating the crap out of it while drag racing, or is this a part that's prone to fail regardless of abuses? What's your opinion? Looking at the 2 parts, it seems the 5.5 bracket lacks the additional structural integrity designed into the 2006 part.
Any fast shift will put a good deal of stress on the bracket. When your shifter stops after getting into gear, it is very difficult to "stop" your hand's momentum and keep from pushing hard on the stopped shifter. When that happens, the transmission mount certainly isn't moving, and since your force is being transmitted through a cable, the cable will attempt to flex. This bracket stops the cable flex, so it sees the brunt of the "impact" when you slam into a gear.

Whether you are power shifting at the track or just shifting fast with some sporty driving, it'll eventually break.

Daily driving with no hard shifts, and I doubt it will break anytime soon.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:13 PM

Best I could do...

N > 1 > 2 >
3 > 4 > 5 >
6 > R > bracket

Old 02-18-2010, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by sparks03max
Any fast shift will put a good deal of stress on the bracket. When your shifter stops after getting into gear, it is very difficult to "stop" your hand's momentum and keep from pushing hard on the stopped shifter. When that happens, the transmission mount certainly isn't moving, and since your force is being transmitted through a cable, the cable will attempt to flex. This bracket stops the cable flex, so it sees the brunt of the "impact" when you slam into a gear.

Whether you are power shifting at the track or just shifting fast with some sporty driving, it'll eventually break.

Daily driving with no hard shifts, and I doubt it will break anytime soon.
Nice assessment. Um, pretty convincing.

Nismo, would you agree with this, or do you think the bracket on a 99% daily driver is fine as is? By 99%, I mean, the times I slam a gear with strong force are very few and far between. Spirited driving only. Full out banzai runs... maybe 3 or 4 times a year.

2slow, you seem to always have some Vulcan-like opinion on geeky stuff like metal fatigue. Are you reading this?
Old 02-18-2010, 03:12 PM

Best I could do...

N > 1 > 2 >
3 > 4 > 5 >
6 > R > bracket
That is a really fantastic presentation technique, tiling the images in that manner. All this car-talk aside for a moment, I'm offering my compliments for your bracket photos, and particularly this collection of shifter position pics. Well done.

Back to car-talk... it looks straight up and down, centered and perfect. I need to grab the laptop and go compare.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:22 PM

Nice assessment. Um, pretty convincing.

Nismo, would you agree with this, or do you think the bracket on a 99% daily driver is fine as is? By 99%, I mean, the times I slam a gear with strong force are very few and far between. Spirited driving only. Full out banzai runs... maybe 3 or 4 times a year.

2slow, you seem to always have some Vulcan-like opinion on geeky stuff like metal fatigue. Are you reading this?
Nobody, not even Spock himself, could tell you whether you will be OK or not. You never know, one of those hard shifts on rare occasion may just be the one that breaks it.

IMO, as cheap as this part is, it's worth just buying one and having it on standby in case you need it one day.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:46 PM

Nobody, not even Spock himself, could tell you whether you will be OK or not. You never know, one of those hard shifts on rare occasion may just be the one that breaks it.

IMO, as cheap as this part is, it's worth just buying one and having it on standby in case you need it one day.
spock drives an Infiniti I35. He's probably not reading into a thread about shifter linkage.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:51 PM

I concur.

It's hard to tell from the pictures, but it appears the original bracket has smaller reinforcement ribs extending from the base to the broken section's cable holder. Although, both examples failed in the same way and the issue could lie in a stress riser around a mold stand-off (cannot recall the exact term). The newer version's single piece construction may also result in less bending moment applied to the fracture area.

It's difficult to make a failure mode determination, or even educated guess without specific pictures, or having the piece in hand.

While I am not absolutely convinced the new part is significantly more durable than the original, I plan on tacking one onto my next OE parts order to have as a spare (whenever that may be). This is less preventative maintenance, than being prepared for a potential failure and the hoarding of shiny car parts.

EDIT: Denmark's female curlers are not very attractive. Is this a common condition for this 'sport'?
Old 02-18-2010, 04:48 PM

So I braved the fluffy snow and went out the the garage just now, to eyeball the shifter stalk position in comparison to Nismo's images. (I printed his image file for the compare.) To line up the appropriate vertical angle, use the front corner bolts from the seats on the left and right.

My shifter is angled down towards the console quite noticeably more than these pictures, in all gears. That said, I'm inclined to say I prefer it that way, and it would be less desirable to have it more straight up and down. The arm reach would increase about an inch or so. Right now, I can shift with my wrist alone, and not even engage my full arm. (It's a sissy way to shift, yes. I'm just saying it can be done to get the point across.)

I suppose the real test would be to move the banjo bushing back onto the original post, and do an immediate comparison between the STS mod and the OEM layout, but that is way too much effort for a winter's evening.

A whole bunch of interesting things to ponder out of this thread, however. Good stuff.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:02 PM

My shifter is angled down towards the console quite noticeably more than these pictures, in all gears.
For some reason I am having difficulty picturing this. When you say your shifter is "angled down toward the console", what are you calling the console? Is this the arm rest or the stereo area?

Thanks.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:16 PM
Toolie

just for the record, from my experience and from things that I have read... The Japanese suck at making 'molded' aluminum parts. The aluminum has no tensile strength, it is brittle as hell and it has tons of impurities in it. They even make a special concoction made specifically for Japanese aluminum if you want to anodize it or powder coat it. Anyone who has made an SSIM would notice this as well. A good piece of aluminum should not break off with a pair of pliers...
Old 02-18-2010, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by 2slow
For some reason I am having difficulty picturing this. When you say your shifter is "angled down toward the console", what are you calling the console? Is this the arm rest or the stereo area?

Thanks.
Tilted down toward the arm rest. If I line up my perspective to the angle of Nismo's picture, as aligned by the shifter boot ring compared to the front seat bolts, then my shifter stalk is angled more toward the armrest than Nismo's is.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by knight_yyz
just for the record, from my experience and from things that I have read... The Japanese suck at making 'molded' aluminum parts. The aluminum has no tensile strength, it is brittle as hell and it has tons of impurities in it. They even make a special concoction made specifically for Japanese aluminum if you want to anodize it or powder coat it. Anyone who has made an SSIM would notice this as well. A good piece of aluminum should not break off with a pair of pliers...
Well I did recently speak with Aaron (NWP) about making a steel version.

You reminded me that I need to get him a bracket so he can decide if he can/wants to produce this.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:14 PM

I also made an inquiry to the person who makes the axxtion sts.. no real effort was made.

I have broke mine twice already...
Old 04-12-2010, 08:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

a great info...
Old 04-13-2010, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by tonedef
I also made an inquiry to the person who makes the axxtion sts.. no real effort was made.

I have broke mine twice already...
Contact Cattman for the Ralco STS. It's about $60-70 shipped.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by TallTom
Contact Cattman for the Ralco STS. It's about $60-70 shipped.
He's referring to the shift bracket. He was attempting to see if Axxtiom would have any interest in making solid shifter brackets.

Then again, Cattman might be interested in making them as well...

...hmm.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:07 PM

Great thread.. I may change mine after reading this.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:37 PM

my 5.5 bracket borke on me at the track....u kno wut it feels lik drving home in 3rd 30mph all the way to staten island? lmao changed it to the 6th gen bracket and like it so far
Old 04-14-2010, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by maxima dude
my 5.5 bracket borke on me at the track....u kno wut it feels lik drving home in 3rd 30mph all the way to staten island? lmao changed it to the 6th gen bracket and like it so far
I just zip tied it up at the track and shifted really easy on the way home...