5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Amber H3 Fog Bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 11:04 AM

Amber H3 Fog Bulbs

Last year, MIK3 started a thread with intent to get an amber light in his fogs.

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...out-amber.html

I was on board with the idea, and if you read the thread you'll see it meander into numerous topics. However, specific to the color amber and the fog lights, I tried Amber LED's (which MIK3 ended up using), and I tried an Amber "lamin-x" film... but nothing really worked for me. I ended up going white.

There's been a lot of thread-talk lately about fog bulbs again, so I'm throwing this out there: where can I find amber H3 bulbs? Now, that's "amber", not to be confused with "yellow". The color amber is much more orange-like, as in the turning signals and the front side-markers.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:25 AM

Amber...like this? Or is this yellow?
Old 02-19-2010, 11:48 AM

Custom amber HID can be done, it may cost a little more but I've seen HID companies sell custom color HID's like green, pink, red ect. I'm sure amber orange would be doable. I'm interested in this outcome as well because unlike most I like the look of the amber orange but like you I want a deeper bright orange to match my parking lights on my 01. I'll see if I can find those companies again.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by nismomaxgtr18
That looks yellow to me, although it's hard to tell for sure.

It would be nice to go truly "Amber", like the turn signals and front side markers are amber.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by woody6212
Custom amber HID can be done, it may cost a little more but I've seen HID companies sell custom color HID's like green, pink, red ect. I'm sure amber orange would be doable. I'm interested in this outcome as well because unlike most I like the look of the amber orange but like you I want a deeper bright orange to match my parking lights on my 01. I'll see if I can find those companies again.
Please do, Woody. I've already put failed effort into this idea, off and on over the last year. As I said earlier, I tried Amber LED's, and Amber overlays... neither really made me step back and say, "Yeah baby!" Each felt like a compromise. The LED's were weak, and the overlay was ricey.

I'd be happy to go HID with a ballast and custom color if that's do-able, although I'd also be happy to go the simple route, with an amber (orange) H3 bulb replacement. Either way, please post back if you're on to something.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:07 PM

It occurs to me just now... it's possible the reason why fog lights are never amber (orange) is because that's an emergency color. In other words, it might not be legal.

Hmm.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

that looks more on the yellow side as opposed to true amber to me but that could be due to the higher output of light.

B
Old 02-19-2010, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester
It occurs to me just now... it's possible the reason why fog lights are never amber (orange) is because that's an emergency color. In other words, it might not be legal.

Hmm.
"legally" as far as i know you are not allowed to have any forward facing light in colors other than white and/or amber....

im not versed in legal jargon so take that for what its worth

B
Old 02-19-2010, 01:40 PM

In person, the 5th gen fogs look very close to amber. Amber is an emergency color? Really? wtf what color is NOT an emergency color then?
Old 02-19-2010, 01:49 PM

In person, the 5th gen fogs look very close to amber. Amber is an emergency color? Really? wtf what color is NOT an emergency color then?
I suppose with the dull, OEM bulbs in them, maybe. Funny!

Thinking about that after writing it, that seems a silly statement on my part. LOTS of cars use their amber turn signals as wicked bright running lights. Cadillac comes to mind.

IDK what to think. What I do know is that I'd like a relatively bright amber light in my fogs without using an amber lens or overlay.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:12 PM

You mean like this?

Rochester, maybe you should try photoshop your sig picture and show us what it looks like on a maxima.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:03 PM

Ya Rochester I'm trying to look through some old websites I had jotted down and when I find it I'll either post it up or PM you.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by The6spdMax
Rochester, maybe you should try photoshop your sig picture and show us what it looks like on a maxima.
Actually, that's not a bad idea. I'll see what I can do.

Ya Rochester I'm trying to look through some old websites I had jotted down and when I find it I'll either post it up or PM you.
Thank you, woody.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:42 PM

In for results, I've been researching the subject and I've came up with no options either.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:54 PM

i beg you please to find those companies...when i found one i was broke and when i had the money and finally called them they didnt carry it anymore talk about pissed. right now i'm rocking the amber alert and loving it because no one has it...BUT you cant really see it during the day which sucks
Old 02-19-2010, 05:59 PM

phatboislim, I remember you from Mike's thread.

I agree that the amber LED's look fantastic at night, but during the day, even when overcast, they're pretty much invisible. That's why they're just sitting useless here on my shelf.

They're the identical 9-SMD stalk of amber LED's that I have in my running lights. And while that looks great in my runners, it's just not enough light behind the fogs. I considered removing the hat inside the lens to let them shine better, but didn't want to ruin my fog lenses for an experiment.

Last edited by Rochester; 02-19-2010 at 06:01 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:59 PM

Old 02-19-2010, 06:01 PM

phatboislim, I remember you from Mike's thread.

I agree that the amber LED's look fantastic at night, but during the day, even when overcast, they're pretty much invisible. That's why they're just sitting useless here on my shelf.
yea im considering throwing my yellows back in for now until i can find some amber HIDs....but if i get these lug nuts...i may leave the whole amber alert thing in there
Old 02-19-2010, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by phatboislim
Your running lights look yellow in this pic. It kind of clashes with the amber fogs. Although this certainly showcases the color of the LED's and the observation that they put out zero light, just a glow.

Nice orange glow, however.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:17 PM

yea it definitely doesnt look orange all around...but my ambers then orange...im just happy im doing something diff na ming
Old 02-19-2010, 07:10 PM
Turbo'd Saab

These so called SMD LED bulbs you can buy in white to simulate HID, they do sell in other colors, from my experience when they say yellow...they really mean orange.

I bought some for my custom headlights I'm making and needed a 9005 in orange to use for a turn signal...trust me its pretty orange/amber
Old 02-19-2010, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by DrunkieTheBear
These so called SMD LED bulbs you can buy in white to simulate HID, they do sell in other colors, from my experience when they say yellow...they really mean orange.

I bought some for my custom headlights I'm making and needed a 9005 in orange to use for a turn signal...trust me its pretty orange/amber
Yes, these below, Drunkie. These are the ones in phatboislim fogs. I have a pair. However they are too weak, IMO.

Last edited by Rochester; 02-21-2010 at 07:29 AM.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:10 PM

agreed
Old 02-19-2010, 08:11 PM

http://www.automotivelightstore.com/...re-hidkit.aspx

The chevy camaro's custom lights are from this site. Looks legit. Check it out.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:54 PM

Yeah it looks ugly in my opinion
Old 02-20-2010, 02:24 AM

thats why you dont have them
Old 02-20-2010, 05:02 AM

http://www.automotivelightstore.com/...re-hidkit.aspx

The chevy camaro's custom lights are from this site. Looks legit. Check it out.
Thanks, 6sp. I'll have to contact them, they're website is hella busy and covered in rice. I can't find what I need directly.

In the last couple days, I've been pounding the Google pretty hard, and coming up empty. It's frustrating.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:59 AM

Thanks, 6sp. I'll have to contact them, they're website is hella busy and covered in rice. I can't find what I need directly.

In the last couple days, I've been pounding the Google pretty hard, and coming up empty. It's frustrating.
one of the sponsors on here makes custom color HID's. I bet they can do amber if you wanted to go that route

B
Old 02-20-2010, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by NissanMan97
one of the sponsors on here makes custom color HID's. I bet they can do amber if you wanted to go that route
Who, please?
Old 02-20-2010, 02:40 PM

Who, please?
operatic.

they do the HID 3000k kits and they are the only kit that ive seen that looks close to the lexus "yellow". someone else told me that and i searched some pics and found out that he was right. PM or email them and see what they can do. i might be interested in an amber set as well.

B
Old 02-20-2010, 05:17 PM

agreed all i see is orange halos
Old 02-21-2010, 07:52 AM

This response from operatic over in his Group Deals thread... way down at Post #1931. Needless to say, it's a big thread.

http://forums.maxima.org/group-deals...og-lights.html

Originally Posted by operatic
There is... an oddball color code that we've done a couple times before. Problem is, it's not a consistent output. Some cars it burns an amber color, other cars it comes out an amber/rose color.

This is a raw picture out of an ML500 headlight. Atleast I think it was an ML500... honestly it's been in the back for so long I forgot what it came out of.
http://www.3bspecialties.com/custome...ach/ML500a.jpg

Another raw picture. Directly off the camera, this comes out an orange color.
http://www.3bspecialties.com/custome...0IS300_2WM.jpg

But... there's always a but. In person, it looks more like this.
http://www.3bspecialties.com/custome...AdjustedWM.jpg

Now I've stuck these into the fog lights on a '97 Civic and they came off a light amber color. I honestly do not know what color they'll come out as on any year Maxima. Again, it's not a color we admit to having because we don't know what the hell color it really is. But if you're hell bent on it, we can get a couple sets in for ya. Or we can just order some orange LED bulbs.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:48 AM

And then this response:

Originally Posted by operatic
But you know what, if you're going to take it apart, paint the reflector a dark orange. Then throw in a 4300k or a 5000k bulb. It'll light up the housing an orange color (how orange depends on color used) but will light up the ground white. I've seen this done on a Silverado headlight where the guy wanted a blue headlights but the brightest output possible.
...which seems like a brilliant idea. Has anyone reading this thread ever painted the reflector before?

I still have one of my old OEM Nissan lenses kicking around, although one of the two screw posts is snapped off. Still, it would make a great test case. Bake it open, paint the reflector, seal it and mount it for review, analysis, pictures. It's a little daunting, since I've never "baked" any fog or headlight lenses before to crack them open, but I have nothing to lose because my old lens is just junk anyway.

OK, I have a new project now. Understand, it's not going to happen right away, but I'll be sure to post up here when it does.

In the meantime, if anyone else wants to follow through on this idea with more timeliness than my lazy schedule, by all means please do.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:24 AM

And then this response:

...which seems like a brilliant idea. Has anyone reading this thread ever painted the reflector before?

I still have one of my old OEM Nissan lenses kicking around, although one of the two screw posts is snapped off. Still, it would make a great test case. Bake it open, paint the reflector, seal it and mount it for review, analysis, pictures. It's a little daunting, since I've never "baked" any fog or headlight lenses before to crack them open, but I have nothing to lose because my old lens is just junk anyway.

OK, I have a new project now. Understand, it's not going to happen right away, but I'll be sure to post up here when it does.

In the meantime, if anyone else wants to follow through on this idea with more timeliness than my lazy schedule, by all means please do.
the reflector housing in my old 4th gen headlights were painted black...kinda had a purple tint to it...that count?

on topic to what you are doing...id like to see it cause then it would be interesting to see it dont with other colors

B
Old 02-23-2010, 10:37 AM

Don't forget to take light output pictures of a before and after, I'd imagine that you wouldn't lose much output (Like when I did my corners), but the fog lights may be designed a bit differently than parking lamps.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by aackshun
Don't forget to take light output pictures of a before and after, I'd imagine that you wouldn't lose much output (Like when I did my corners), but the fog lights may be designed a bit differently than parking lamps.
Well, if I manage not to butcher my old OEM lens during this experiment, then I won't need before/after pictures, because I'll have a side-by-side reference.

Anyone have a recommendation on paint? (I haven't looked yet.) A friend of mine suggested dark "smoke" orange. I've never heard that term before, but apparently "smoke" means there would be some translucency to the orange, so the silver in the reflector can still do its thing. IDK, really. Still have to separate the lens I'm experimenting on...

...and to that end, has anyone ever tried using a heat-gun to loosen the adhesive? We just bought a rather expensive oven, and I'm not too keen on baking plastic inside it. I think my wife would kill me.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:52 AM

...and to that end, has anyone ever tried using a heat-gun to loosen the adhesive? We just bought a rather expensive oven, and I'm not too keen on baking plastic inside it. I think my wife would kill me.
Do it w/o them knowing, I snuck in my head lights in our new oven and no one noticed, the odor isn't as bad as everyone says.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:56 AM

a heat gun should work....

B

Last edited by NissanMan97; 02-23-2010 at 10:59 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:00 AM

Anyone have a recommendation on paint? (I haven't looked yet.) A friend of mine suggested dark "smoke" orange. I've never heard that term before, but apparently "smoke" means there would be some translucency to the orange, so the silver in the reflector can still do its thing. IDK, really. Still have to separate the lens I'm experimenting on..
check out a local hobby store...hobby lobby or something like that. walmart might have it as well

B
Old 02-23-2010, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by NissanMan97
check out a local hobby store...hobby lobby or something like that. walmart might have it as well
I would think the paint should be high-temp, right? Those 55w Halogen H3's do get mighty hot.

Quick Reply: Amber H3 Fog Bulbs