5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5.5 Mods/Maintenance Timetable and Stage List

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 12:58 PM

5.5 Mods/Maintenance Timetable and Stage List

There are several mods/maintinance items that could be done at the same time, minimizing re-work. This means that if you need to fix something or want to do a mod, it would be smart to do some/all of the other items in the list at the same time.

TIMETABLE #1
Spark Plugs
04 Rear Valve Cover
Phenolic Intake Spacers
VIAS Block Plate
DIY Grounding Kit (easier to get to ground points)
Replace Knock Sensor

TIMETABLE #2 (Can be combined w/ #1)
CAI/SRI
Free STS Mod & ES Bushing on engine side
Larger MAF
DIY Grounding Kit (easier to get to ground points)

TIMETABLE #3
Replace OEM Belts
Install Underdrive/Light Weight Pulley

TIMETABLE #4
Install Stereo
Sound Deaden Interior
Foam Fill Chassis and A/B/C pillars (not many do this here, but this is a good mod)
Install ES Shifter Bushings on cabin side

TIMETABLE #5
Replace Clutch (350z HR good option if going LW flywheel)
Fidanza Flywheel
Redline MT-90 Trans Fill
Rear Main Seal
Starter Ground Upgrade
ES Motor Mounts (?)
Headers (?)
ES Front Sway Bar Bushings (?)

TIMETABLE #6
Cat-Back Exhaust
Rear Sway Bar Install

Here is a "Stage" setup for HP mods.
(NOTE: I need feedback on this, below is just what I have gathered from posts here and then added for 20% drivetrain losses-I would like TQ numbers too if possible)

Stage: Modifications Required: Approximate M-T HP at Crank
STOCK: NONE: 255hp
Stage I: Intake: 261hp
Stage II: Cat-back exhaust: 266hp
Stage III: Intake Spacers: 274hp
Stage IV: +2 Degree Timing Advance: 276hp
Stage IV: Pulley: 279hp
Stage V: Vias Delete: 281hp
Stage VI: Grounding Kit : 282hp
Stage VII: Headers/Y-Pipe: 292hp
Stage VIII: Tune : 299hp
Stage IX: BBMAF/Re-Tune: 306hp
Stage X: Cams/Re-Tune: 315hp
Stage XI: Forced Induction/Nitrous

Here is a list of brands for modification.

Intakes:
Berk
Cattman
Injen
Member: knight xyz

Cat-Back:
Cattman
Custom Maxima

Header:

Y-Pipe:

Underdrive Pulley:
Unorthodox Racing

Intake Spacers:
NWP

VIAS Delete:
NWP

Tune:
APEX'I SAFC/SAFC II/VAFC II
Greddy E-Manage
UTEC
Technosquare Re-flash

Last edited by pionkej; 03-09-2010 at 12:18 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by pionkej
STOCK: (255chp)
Stage I: Intake +5rwhp
Stage II: Cat-back exhaust +5rwhp
Stage III: Intake Spacers +10rwhp
Stage IV: Pulley +5rwhp
Stage V: Vias Delete +5rwhp
Stage VI: Grounding Kit +2rwhp
Stage VII: Headers/Y-Pipe +20rwhp
Stage VIII: Tune +10rwhp
Stage IX: BBMAF/Re-Tune +10rwhp
Stage X: Cams/Re-Tune + 10rwhp
I would say your numbers are off and you shouldn't make 11 stages. Stages are kinda hard to define also. But exhaust is more than 5hp, especially if going with a 3in exhaust and cams give wayyy more than 10hp, unless you go with OEM cams.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:55 PM

Rwhp? Our cars are front wheel drive. *Fwhp.

According to this list I'm Stage 8 already

There's already a thread that is complete with tuning information, plenty of threads on headers/exhaust, the BBMAF has been discussed at length. A lot of these topics are very broad as far as installation, cost, discussing the horsepower gains and driveability (especially with tuning) so having them in one thread will cause more confusion (and many members are already very, very confused )

Plus a lot of mods, when used together don't add power in the strict mathematical sense. For instance, a tune on a stock car will gain less horsepower than a tune on a car with headers and exhaust.

Anyway, don't worry about building one central thread for every performance mod available for the Maxima.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by viperboy
I would say your numbers are off and you shouldn't make 11 stages. Stages are kinda hard to define also. But exhaust is more than 5hp, especially if going with a 3in exhaust and cams give wayyy more than 10hp, unless you go with OEM cams.
If you read, those numbers were out of thin air. I was hoping to get some solid feedback on the gains and "flesh out" the list.

Originally Posted by MoncefA33
Rwhp? Our cars are front wheel drive. *Fwhp.

According to this list I'm Stage 8 already

There's already a thread that is complete with tuning information, plenty of threads on headers/exhaust, the BBMAF has been discussed at length. A lot of these topics are very broad as far as installation, cost, discussing the horsepower gains and driveability (especially with tuning) so having them in one thread will cause more confusion (and many members are already very, very confused )

Plus a lot of mods, when used together don't add power in the strict mathematical sense. For instance, a tune on a stock car will gain less horsepower than a tune on a car with headers and exhaust.

Anyway, don't worry about building one central thread for every performance mod available for the Maxima.
Thanks for the whp clarification, I have had a rwhp mindset for around 5-6 years now. My bad!

I understand that most gains are had on individual mods. Ex. If a cat-back is shown to gain 10hp and an intake is shown to gain 10hp, it doesn't mean you will gain 20hp when you get both. I was just trying to have a list for guidance.

Also, this COULD be nice for people to reference. You take what I have put so far, add REAL hp/tq number, then add the cost, then add the diy average install time, average cost installed at a shop, and all the sudden people can say I do/don't want to get that or I want to install that myself/have a shop install that. See what I mean. Usually when "stages" are created, the low-hanging fruit is first. That is why intake, exhaust, pulley are early...they may not give the most gains, but the cost and ability for most anybody to install it makes it a great start into the world of modding. What you said about a tune is there for a reason too! It is true that a tune on a stock car may not do much, not everybody knows that, so seeing where it is helpful, then where it is a must might be nice for some people.

Either way, I was just trying to add something to this wonderful forum and give a bit of order to performance upgrades for the Max. I know I am new, but I also have no problem searching, so I don't need this for myself. It actually started because I have to change the plugs on my car, and I started digging into what else would be good to do while I had the IM off.

It seems that not many are interested, so I will just let it die.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:00 AM

list looks good.. good to see you have only been here a month and learned that much....any info on.. ''Foam Fill Chassis and A/B/C pillars (not many do this here, but this is a good mod)''
Old 03-09-2010, 06:26 AM

Your intentions are good, OP. And it's clear that you're doing your research. It's just too much all at once in one post, in one thread. Your organizational skills seem great, but they're also personal. I think topics works best here when they are focused, with brief on-topic posts. Try not to be too disheartened when you put something out here that doesn't get a level of response comparable to your effort.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by mist max2000
list looks good.. good to see you have only been here a month and learned that much....any info on.. ''Foam Fill Chassis and A/B/C pillars (not many do this here, but this is a good mod)''
There is a low density structural foam that is used in many luxury cars to reduce sqeaking and unwanted resonance and add some structural rigidity (not like sway bars or anything, but it does prevent some twisting). Depending on one's budget, it isn't cheap, but it provides very good benefits in noise reduction. Note that something like Great Stuff will not work. It isn't designed to cure in a closed space and while the ends will cure (the part you will see when you inject it) becuase it is exposed to air, the center will remain liquid.

If you are interested, the best place to buy the stuff is at www.betterfoam.com . The best kit to get is the P10732. If that is outside of ones budget, get 2-3 cans of the P10650 and it will work well too. The difference is the slow rise will flow further down the frame rails before expanding giving you more full coverage.

There is a writeup on Sport Compact Car where Mike Kojima did this on a 300zx and I believe a 240sx and had good results with both.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Rochester
Your intentions are good, OP. And it's clear that you're doing your research. It's just too much all at once in one post, in one thread. Your organizational skills seem great, but they're also personal. I think topics works best here when they are focused, with brief on-topic posts. Try not to be too disheartened when you put something out here that doesn't get a level of response comparable to your effort.
Thank you. I was not being disheartened when I said "let it die", I was just saying I wouldn't bother if nobody wanted to participate.

I also did personalize the post at first, but planned to remove that as information started coming in and just have lists built up for a clean and simple layout. It just never took off like I had hoped it would.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:18 AM

STOCK: (255chp)
Stage I: Intake +5whp
Stage II: Cat-back exhaust +5whp
Stage III: Intake Spacers +10whp
Stage IV: Pulley +5whp
Stage V: Vias Delete +5whp
Stage VI: Grounding Kit +2whp
Stage VII: Headers/Y-Pipe +20whp
Stage VIII: Tune +10whp
Stage IX: BBMAF/Re-Tune +10whp
Stage X: Cams/Re-Tune + 10rwhp

what you are doing in this table is commonly reffered to as "horsepower stacking". an in-accurate way to calculate HP.
i used to do this when i first got into fixing up cars. as others will chime in, you will notice that if you were to do all mods listed, each part you install has an effect on the other and vice-versa rendering impossible to achieve the HP number you would think, would make sense by adding all it all together.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:31 AM

With everything on that list and a good tune (not vafc) you might actually end up with gains similar to those, maybe on the order of 285-290 whp on a 6spd but that would require big cams (not jwt s1's) and a big revlimit. Also need some IM work in there.

This thread is a good idea, needs more info on advanced modifications though. The 5th gen forum doesn't have enough info on in depth mods and not enough people on here wander over to the all motor forum
Old 03-09-2010, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by 5 ltr. beater
what you are doing in this table is commonly reffered to as "horsepower stacking". an in-accurate way to calculate HP.
i used to do this when i first got into fixing up cars. as others will chime in, you will notice that if you were to do all mods listed, each part you install has an effect on the other and vice-versa rendering impossible to achieve the HP number you would think, would make sense by adding all it all together.
I wasn't going to respond so I could just let this thread fall off, but I couldn't have a response telling me I was wrong in here when I'm not. I posted that these numbers were currently pulled out of thin air and INPUT would help me set them in order. I also know that stacking mods does not equal 100% gains they are claimed to achieve alone. What I did with that table was tried to create a "stage list" that realistically tells people what their HP level will be as they move through the list. This is common on MANY car forums, and I was just trying to start one here.

For example, I used to own a 300zx TT and they had a stage chart. They also had one for N/A cars which I will post since it is more relevant.

Stage: Modifications Required: Approx. M-T HP at the Flywheel:
Stock None 222hp
Stage I Intake & UDP 238hp
Stage II ECU Upgrade 250hp
Stage III Cat-Back Exhaust 262hp
Stage IV Headers 279hp
Stage V Ported TB's & Intake 290hp
Stage VI Injector Upgrade & NOS 390hp
Stage VII Engine Built/Head P&P 400-420hp

That is how it works. It is just something helpful to people looking to mod. I'm not sure how accurate this list is since I owned a turbo, but I can tell you that list is very accurate to the types of gains seen. Again, it helps people mod in a order that makes the most sense. You can see that after exhaust on that car, many people would draw the line as everything else is more expensive and MUCH more involved.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:47 AM

Also, you should take emanate ultimate off the list since it doesn't work well with 5.5 gen ECU's. Maybe add UTEC and technosquare reflash
Old 03-09-2010, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Gemner
With everything on that list and a good tune (not vafc) you might actually end up with gains similar to those, maybe on the order of 285-290 whp on a 6spd but that would require big cams (not jwt s1's) and a big revlimit. Also need some IM work in there.

This thread is a good idea, needs more info on advanced modifications though. The 5th gen forum doesn't have enough info on in depth mods and not enough people on here wander over to the all motor forum
Thank you, as the intention was good. I got a bit wordy at the time and it seems people are missing these are just numbers pulled out of air. I was hoping for feedback to get the list accurately filled out.

You know, in all my searching, I had only checked out stuff listed in the 5th gen forum. I may go look at the all motor forum as I haven't looked there yet.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:20 PM

Cleaned up the original post making it more accurate on the stage chart (from searching the site) and removed some of the filler I typed that was not technical or needed.

Hopefully this thread still has a chance to catch on and input is certainly welcome as that is what it will be built around.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:21 PM

I wasn't going to respond so I could just let this thread fall off, but I couldn't have a response telling me I was wrong in here when I'm not. I posted that these numbers were currently pulled out of thin air and INPUT would help me set them in order. I also know that stacking mods does not equal 100% gains they are claimed to achieve alone. What I did with that table was tried to create a "stage list" that realistically tells people what their HP level will be as they move through the list. This is common on MANY car forums, and I was just trying to start one here.

That is how it works. It is just something helpful to people looking to mod. I'm not sure how accurate this list is since I owned a turbo, but I can tell you that list is very accurate to the types of gains seen. Again, it helps people mod in a order that makes the most sense. You can see that after exhaust on that car, many people would draw the line as everything else is more expensive and MUCH more involved.
it's ok, i never said you're wrong, and i think making a "stage list" is a good idea, but the Maxima isn't an Evo or STI, where you have aftermarket companies reccommending upgrades in a certain order to notice maximum effect.
since there is no stage order with the Max, every driver is going to have their own view as to what order to proceed with the performance upgrades.
hell i've got my own views on what stages should be performed. similar to your chart, but slightly diffrent.