5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

3.0L Oil in intake manifold?? HELP!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 10:50 PM

3.0L Oil in intake manifold?? HELP!?

Alright so I've done a bit of searching for the answer but everything I find seems to apply to the 3.5L, I have the 3.0 5-speed

I just bought the car a while ago and do not have much experience with Nissans yet, I took off the Injen intake the car came with to give it a shine, and I noticed alot of grungy gunk in the trottle body. I figured it would be a good idea to take it off and give it a clean (and while I'm at it I'd polish up the metal with a buffer and make it look nice) I noticed it seems like coolant or something runs through the T.B which i havent seen before, so after getting the trottle body off I notice the intake manifold is disgustingly coated inside with oil!! Wayyy too much to be normal, does anybody know of this being a common problem with the 3.0 and a solution for this?? please help me!!!!!! I want to make this a reliable smooth running vehicle so I think I'm going to pull the engine/tranny and give it a full tune up (belts, pullys, clutch, fluids, clean everything, gaskets) while I drive my winter beater
Old 04-17-2010, 10:59 PM

thats a 1st if ive ever heard a problem with DE-K's. i pulled apart my intake last week to clean out the TB and cleaned the MAF and didn't notice any oil in the intake whatsoever. mine was bone dry.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:52 PM

Don't get your knickers twisted......some oil in the intake in the area of the TB is normal, particularly if the car was romped on quite a bit (particularly with it being a 5 speed as well). The Injen intake which I believe eliminates the stock intake duct air supply hoses (3 total) connector box, doesn't help either. I would replace the PCV valve, mind you, if you don't have any record of it being replaced recently, and check the PCV valve hose and the crankcase vent/blowby hoses for any blockages as well. At idle there should be some vacuum at the end of the PCV valve. How many kms on this car? Like some other cars coolant was flowed through the IACV/TB to prevent icing. Remove the IACV stepper motor and check for any signs of coolant "under" the stepper motor. Ensure that the warmed up idle is a stable 575-675 RPM.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by P. Samson
Don't get your knickers twisted......some oil in the intake in the area of the TB is normal, particularly if the car was romped on quite a bit (particularly with it being a 5 speed as well). The Injen intake which I believe eliminates the stock intake duct air supply hoses (3 total) connector box, doesn't help either. I would replace the PCV valve, mind you, if you don't have any record of it being replaced recently, and check the PCV valve hose and the crankcase vent/blowby hoses for any blockages as well. At idle there should be some vacuum at the end of the PCV valve. How many kms on this car? Like some other cars coolant was flowed through the IACV/TB to prevent icing. Remove the IACV stepper motor and check for any signs of coolant "under" the stepper motor. Ensure that the warmed up idle is a stable 575-675 RPM.
Yea it just seemed very odd to both me and my dad (who is a Dodge mechanic) because it seemed like there shouldnt be that much oil there and it was pretty gross looking, I will replace the PCV valve, because as you've stated the owner before me I believe did "romp" on it quite a bit, but the car does run very smoothly, it has like 240,000 on it, so I think I'm going to just rebuild the engine anyways, I like this car alot so I want to make sure it doesnt just crap out on me randomly haha, I know the Injen intake has about 2-3 hoses connected to it so if that is what you mean then it keeps the stock ones. I will buy a brand new PCV valve & hose just to be on the safe side. Can I just bypass the coolant running through the Trottle Body with a custom hose to be on the safe side? and take that thing off the side of the TB (i dont even know what it is) ahah
sorry I'm just really new to Nissans and V6's in general
Old 04-26-2010, 05:50 PM

bump
Old 05-23-2010, 08:30 PM

Did you try the coolant bypass through the IACV? I am planning on doing that to see if my IACV lasts longer. The last one shorted.