5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Going to do the TS reflash!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 10:36 PM

Going to do the TS reflash!!

I was thinking about sending it out tomorrow, but I don't know that I will have time. Just a few quick questions... Anything recommended that I should tell them to do? I was gonna tell them to do the Z33 timing map, give them my mods, and tell them I want a 7500rpm redline. Anything else I should tell them?

Secondly, how do you remove the ECU? Not 100% sure, but definitely something I don't wanna mess up!! Any recommendations on how to send it? Just wanna do this right!! Thanks!
Old 04-21-2010, 02:29 AM

make sure you get the z33 vtc map since you have an ssim. Also, why 7500? planning cams and ARP rod bolts or what? even with the ssim you wont be making any power that high, not to mention you would be risking your engine
Old 04-21-2010, 04:02 AM

Asking for trouble with 7500 rpms... get ready to start building a motor
Old 04-21-2010, 06:09 AM

I don't plan to rev that high, it's for later once the motor is built.

Edit: sorry I misread what you said.

Last edited by viperboy; 04-21-2010 at 06:17 AM. Reason: I'm an idiot
Old 04-21-2010, 06:12 AM
dot dot dot ...

I wouldn't go further than 7200 with stock rod bolts. Rod bolt install isn't that difficult, and they're not that expensive, and 7500 is very reasonable with them.

When you tell them the F-Spec, they will do all that automatically, so no need to really tell them all that(z map, etc).

It's self explanatory once you get on your knees and look behind the console.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:19 AM

So f-spec means I give them my mods and stuff as well?

Also with the rod bolts, how much of a job would that be with parts and labor somewhere? Any idea? I wouldn't do it myself, don't have the tools or the know how lol
Old 04-21-2010, 06:28 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by viperboy
So f-spec means I give them my mods and stuff as well?

Also with the rod bolts, how much of a job would that be with parts and labor somewhere? Any idea? I wouldn't do it myself, don't have the tools or the know how lol
Depends on the shop. You can get in there from the bottom. But, either way, since the/any shop would probably rip you off, just stick with the standard 7100.

They (TS) ask for a mod list, typically, so sure, give it to them.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:31 AM

I thought the reflash let's it rev to 7200? From what I have read, revving to 7500 without the motor built is asking for trouble, but I don't think shifting that high once in a while would hurt anything, would it?
Old 04-21-2010, 06:39 AM

Also, what is the L-spec ecu flash? Saw it mentioned on the forums but don't see anything on The TS website.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:41 AM
dot dot dot ...

Dude, read the website.

Essentially just the rev limiter. Throttle stuff too, but, that's in the noise.

Standard is 7100.

Here's info on the L-Spec
http://www.technosquareinc.com/limited.htm

Last edited by NmexMAX; 04-21-2010 at 06:46 AM.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:50 AM

I did find it via google already. Should have looked before posting. Found some info on the differences on the 350z forums. They said that they can do injector and maf scaling for the tune. What does that mean and would that do me any good? I do have larger injectors, if that matters.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:56 AM
dot dot dot ...

I did find it via google already. Should have looked before posting. Found some info on the differences on the 350z forums. They said that they can do injector and maf scaling for the tune. What does that mean and would that do me any good? I do have larger injectors, if that matters.
Their ECU’s have say another layer of complexity, which adds to their versatility. Most namely in their MAF/ECU ‘language’. So, our MAF’s are different than theirs, as well as our ECU’s.

You may want to mention you have larger injectors, but it’s sorta blind on their end since they don’t have your true AFR readout. I would just ask for the F-Spec, get a wideband, and see where you are, maybe some dynotime to see if making any adjustments work.

After my F-Spec, I was @ 13.0 FLAT across, even w/ Z33 injectors.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Their ECU’s have say another layer of complexity, which adds to their versatility. Most namely in their MAF/ECU ‘language’. So, our MAF’s are different than theirs, as well as our ECU’s.

You may want to mention you have larger injectors, but it’s sorta blind on their end since they don’t have your true AFR readout. I would just ask for the F-Spec, get a wideband, and see where you are, maybe some dynotime to see if making any adjustments work.

After my F-Spec, I was @ 13.0 FLAT across, even w/ Z33 injectors.
Sweet, thanks alot. I do plan on dyno tuning it when I get the ecu back. I'm sure I won't have to do much to it, I guess I will try to get it as close to a 12.5 afr as possible.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:03 AM
dot dot dot ...

That's sorta of the nice (lazy) thing with AFC's and TS tune, TS gives you a flat AFR, so the AFC doesn't need much resolution to make it go flat somewhere else, (12.5, 13.0, 12.5, etc.) Just takes a few notches.

Here's what the F-Spec does:

TS ECU info:

Unless otherwise noted, all data is verified via Cipher/OBDII/Consult Interface

CVTC data logs mimic that of a Z33
AFR is 13.0 +/- 0.2 from 2400 - 7100RPM (Verified by an upstream WBO2 sensor prior to any catalytic converters)
Timing is + 3-4º from stock (Comparing other stock A33B/A34's vs mine)
Rev limiter is verified @ 7100 (Sometimes it bounces to 7130 etc, but you get the point)
Car has seen ~ 138 MPH on the dyno, (Verified using DJ software.

CVTC Curve vs typical A33/34

My timing curve a while back.

I'll have to look, but I have a timing plot that shows the timing effects of (-) correction on the SAFCII.

Last edited by NmexMAX; 04-21-2010 at 07:13 AM.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:10 AM

And from what I have read, 12.5-12.8 is where you will make the most power.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:16 AM
dot dot dot ...

And from what I have read, 12.5-12.8 is where you will make the most power.
That's debatable, but that's why you can tune for your car, and see what gives you the best.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:18 AM

Viper, per your sig notes, you're already at 260 WHP (yikes!), with an impressive mod list. What are your expectations for the TS flash?

It's self explanatory once you get on your knees
Couldn't resist...
Old 04-21-2010, 07:22 AM

That's debatable, but that's why you can tune for your car, and see what gives you the best.

Not to thread jack here but what kind of gains did you see with the full reflash?
Old 04-21-2010, 07:32 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Rochester
Viper, per your sig notes, you're already at 260 WHP (yikes!), with an impressive mod list. What are your expectations for the TS flash?

Couldn't resist...
I was hoping someone would comment on that

Originally Posted by MaxJay
Not to thread jack here but what kind of gains did you see with the full reflash?
I don't have a direct comparison, so I couldn't really say.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:39 AM

^^^
One of the funnier things I've read lately, NmexMAX.

But seriously, Viper, I'm interested in where your head is at with this. I'm pretty much at the extents of my comfort zone with the current bolt-ons for this FWD sedan. So if I were do do anything more by way of added power, it would be this TS flash. (Flywheel or SSIM aren't in my sights, and I don't have HLSD to even out the HP laydown.)

Last edited by Rochester; 04-21-2010 at 07:41 AM.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:42 AM
dot dot dot ...

^^^

But seriously, Viper, I'm interested in where your head is at with this. I'm pretty much at the extents of my comfort zone with the current bolt-ons for this FWD sedan. So if I were do do anything more by way of added power, it would be this TS flash. (Flywheel or SSIM aren't in my sights.)
Seems like you're focusing on his peak numbers

Under the curve .. under the curve: under the curve: under the curve: under the curve: under the curve:
Old 04-21-2010, 07:48 AM

Numbers smumbers. Let's wait until Viper comes back and weighs in on why he's doing this and what his expectations are. Honestly, my interest is in what the TS flash will do for his overall driving experience. I'm looking at mods from a more holistic perspective.

"Emphasizing the importance of the whole and the interdependence of its parts."

Viper might be chasing HP bragging rights, or is focused on the dragstrip and improving his times. Let's see.

Last edited by Rochester; 04-21-2010 at 07:57 AM.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:01 AM
dot dot dot ...

Really? srsly?

Good grief, you must have gone to school or something.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:39 AM

Couldn't resist...
I figured someone would do that lol

^^^

But seriously, Viper, I'm interested in where your head is at with this. I'm pretty much at the extents of my comfort zone with the current bolt-ons for this FWD sedan. So if I were do do anything more by way of added power, it would be this TS flash. (Flywheel or SSIM aren't in my sights, and I don't have HLSD to even out the HP laydown.)
I don't have LSD either but I am doing this because I want something a little faster and I would one day want to get into the 12s NA. After a tune, I would love to see 280whp, but I think that's asking too much. My 260whp was on a mustang dyno too. Ive heard it reads lower, but hell, everyone says their dyno is low reading
Old 04-21-2010, 09:41 AM
dot dot dot ...

The TS will definitely help add driveablility with the enhanced CVTC curve, more area under the curve, and help exploit the SSIM, etc.

Mustang Dyno's will read however you want them too.

They work off of input for your vehicle parameters (coefficient of drag, weight, etc, ).
Old 04-21-2010, 09:53 AM

I don't have LSD either but I am doing this because I want something a little faster and I would one day want to get into the 12s NA. After a tune, I would love to see 280whp, but I think that's asking too much. My 260whp was on a mustang dyno too. Ive heard it reads lower, but hell, everyone says their dyno is low reading
I went back and looked at your sig and noticed the Apexi Neo. See, I'm trying to weigh the value and efficiency of getting the full TS flash and not tweaking anything afterwords with a piggyback. So... I guess I'll just lurk for a while.

Pushing all that HP to a single front drive wheel without limited slip... that seems a dubious objective.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:59 AM

hope you see some good gains with the reflash, i wish they still did it for autos :|
whats your PB at the track so far?
Old 04-21-2010, 10:07 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by tookrzy4u192
hope you see some good gains with the reflash, i wish they still did it for autos :|
They probably do, call them. Mine is auto. At one point they said the reason they didn't do autos is because they could not get consistent results. Call them and tell them, you don't care, just want a reflash for the Z33 CVTC curve and rev limit (They will give you all)

I went back and looked at your sig and noticed the Apexi Neo. See, I'm trying to weigh the value and efficiency of getting the full TS flash and not tweaking anything afterwords with a piggyback. So... I guess I'll just lurk for a while.

Pushing all that HP to a single front drive wheel without limited slip... that seems a dubious objective.
IMO, LSD is for exiting turns and not annihilating the inner tire.

There's a lot of proof on here as well as on other FWD forums that never saw any difference in 1/4 mile times before and after LSD's. No matter if it's an H or V. So, unless you autox, drive in a lot of snow/ice, I wouldn't worry much if you don't have an LSD.

Also, my AFR should be proof that you don't need any tweaking if you don't have any plans for the car after the TS F-Spec. TS makes everything nice and flat at an HP friendly ratio.

The only reason I have the AFC is because I like to mess with things, see what happens when I mess with things, and of course I have a larger than normal MAF housing so I need the SAFCII IN/OUT settings modified.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:18 AM

Snow & Ice is best handled by snow tires, IMO. So many people here think HLSD is God's gift to the Maxima... Hello, Hotshot!

Anyway, it's comforting to read a grounded opinion.

NmexMAX, that was well written, speaks directly to my thinking, and contributes to my planning. Thank you.

Viper, g'luck with TS. Looking forward to reading more about your experience with the company and the flash.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:25 AM

Snow & Ice is best handled by snow tires, IMO. So many people here think HLSD is God's gift to the Maxima... Hello, Hotshot!
Old 04-21-2010, 10:39 AM
Demodded and Forgotten

I love my HLSD
Old 04-21-2010, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by tookrzy4u192
Haha the only time I ever went, I was terrible lol almost bald deflated AS tires and an almost dead MAF... Ran a 14.6. It was horrible. But that was just with intake and exhaust really.

Anyway, it's comforting to read a grounded opinion.

NmexMAX, that was well written, speaks directly to my thinking, and contributes to my planning. Thank you.

Viper, g'luck with TS. Looking forward to reading more about your experience with the company and the flash.
Yeah I'm excited. I will be sending it out next week probably. I gotta get the car ready for the Infiniti/Nissan event in NJ. Gotta make sure I run faster than my buddy in his modded G37. It's a drivers race at this point, but I wanna beat him even more lol
Old 04-21-2010, 11:08 AM

Yeah I'm excited. I will be sending it out next week probably. I gotta get the car ready for the Infiniti/Nissan event in NJ. Gotta make sure I run faster than my buddy in his modded G37. It's a drivers race at this point, but I wanna beat him even more lol
A modded G37 (seven)? Hmm, good luck with that. No sense in having ambitions unless they're high.

Or unless someone is high, I suppose.

Last edited by Rochester; 04-21-2010 at 11:52 AM.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:09 AM

They probably do, call them. Mine is auto. At one point they said the reason they didn't do autos is because they could not get consistent results. Call them and tell them, you don't care, just want a reflash for the Z33 CVTC curve and rev limit (They will give you all)
ive heard many auto drivers stating that they refuse to reflash them now.. but i'm not even close to getting a reflash but i will look more into it once i'm ready
Old 04-21-2010, 11:20 AM

A modded G37 (seven)? Hmm, good luck with that. No sense in having ambitions unless they're high.
Well right now, it is a drivers race. We haven't gotten to formally race at a strip yet, but our cars are pretty even. Depends on how he launches or if ingot any traction haha but when we go on the 8th, Even without the ref lash I still think I could beat him.

And he has intakes, HFCs, and an axleback now. So I'm pretty thrilled I can even keep up. Those things are heavy as hell though!
Old 04-21-2010, 11:21 AM

Haha the only time I ever went, I was terrible lol almost bald deflated AS tires and an almost dead MAF... Ran a 14.6. It was horrible. But that was just with intake and exhaust really.

Wow. You're keeping up to a G37??!
Old 04-21-2010, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by jowo9
Yes sir, and sometimes beating him if I get traction. After about 120 he starts walking away. But that's far past a 1/4 mile. I would post a video but I only have a Droid to record with haha I will try to get a video sometime though but the quality is going to suck ***.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:35 AM

I just have a quick question, the TS flash is something I want to do but I can't let my car sit for three days....so, would it work if I bought an ECU, sent that one to TS and then just swapped them?
Old 04-21-2010, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Rhyno02
I just have a quick question, the TS flash is something I want to do but I can't let my car sit for three days....so, would it work if I bought an ECU, sent that one to TS and then just swapped them?
I'm fairly sure the answer is, "No." The ECU is mapped to the ignition of your particular car. You would have to take the car and the new ECU to a Nissan Dealership. They'll wave their magic $$ wand at them so they play nice. A more technical (and more correct) answer will surely follow from somebody in 3... 2... 1...

Originally Posted by jowo9
The last time I drove a G37S 6MT, I walked away thinking my bolt-on Maxima had pretty much the same straight line power, although executed in a far less elegant manner. That's why I'm thinking a modded G37 would be an impressive performer.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:46 AM
Demodded and Forgotten

Originally Posted by Rhyno02
Yes, as long as it's the correct one for your particular vehicle.

Quick Reply: Going to do the TS reflash!!