5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2k2 6Speed - SES Light problem & Ignition Coils

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 01:36 PM

2k2 6Speed - SES Light problem & Ignition Coils

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forums. So far, from what I've seen, this place is pretty awesome. Lot's of helpful stuff.

Since I bought the car about 3 weeks ago (2k2 6Speed), I found that I have a P0300. Since then I've changed my spark plugs to NGK IX Iridiums and have checked on the resistance across my ignition coils.
My buddy went ahead and cleaned my TB and now I have a high idle headache.

So I noticed that my SES light isn't working (by doing the turn to ON Position test) and so I'm gonna have to fix that to do the relearning procedures to fix the high idle. So what I want to ask is:

1) Is it true that for a 5.5 gen, we don't have bulbs for the SES and have a SMD or LED? If that's true, can we use either to replace the light? I don't need a new cluster do I?

2) I found that one of my coils have a boot that has a hole that's a little too wide... So it feels like when I press it down, it doesn't grab on like the others, but instead, the spring pushes it back up unless its bolted down. I think this could be the source of my misfiring. So the new question is, Is it ok to just replace the boot? If so, would it be ok to take the boot from a bad coil and throw it on? I mean, I believe the boot is just to grab on so that the spark stays within the coil right..? And if it's too loose, then the sparks might be weaker? And if an ignition coil goes bad, its really the coil pack at the top that's bad, but the boot should be fine?

Thanks alot for reading.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:43 PM

try PMing PMOHR about question 1 but as far as coils you can probebly buy em from members on here instead of dealership prices
Old 05-03-2010, 01:47 PM

Why not just bolt the one coil down? It probably should not bounce up all the way, no, but if its bolted down it should be fine.

I'm thinking that is not likely the source of your misfire, because it would generally be a cylinder specific code. P0300 I believe if memory serves me right is more of a general misfire code. Could be something like a vacuum leak even.

Don't know much about the cluster, but I know the SES is not a standard incandescent bulb, so unless you're real good with electronics and are confident, it would possibly be a hard job for the average Joe.

Have you tried sourcing a used cluster? That is another option.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by CraigSE
Why not just bolt the one coil down? It probably should not bounce up all the way, no, but if its bolted down it should be fine.

I'm thinking that is not likely the source of your misfire, because it would generally be a cylinder specific code. P0300 I believe if memory serves me right is more of a general misfire code. Could be something like a vacuum leak even.

Don't know much about the cluster, but I know the SES is not a standard incandescent bulb, so unless you're real good with electronics and are confident, it would possibly be a hard job for the average Joe.

i believe he had that code before... to the OP get under the hood while the car is on with probebly some brake cleaner and spray all the possible places a vacuum leak is possible and see if the motor changes sound... id say replace the coil first to start with the simple
Old 05-03-2010, 03:32 PM

Thanks, I'll try and PM PMOHR about that. I'd rather see if I can get a bad ignition coil to use for my case and just change the boot and save myself a bunch. If anyone has an old useless ignition coil and wouldnt mind giving it to me or give it to me for cheap, that'd be great. $60-$100 is a little much for me atm.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by CraigSE

I do have it bolted down right now. I'm not sure exactly how the ignition coil does, but I'm just thinking that this could somehow cause the spark plug underneath the faulty boot to spark less intensely. I could be completely wrong, but as of now, I'm not sure what else is the problem. I'll try to use grandhustles solution to test for leaks.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:50 AM

Try bolting it down, so long as the spring is good it shouldn't matter
Old 05-04-2010, 05:27 AM

Ok then. Since it is bolted down, and I've measured the resistance across all of the ignition coils and changed to new spark plugs, any idea what else could be causing my p0300?
Old 05-04-2010, 06:28 AM

Just some more info if it'll help:

I've also checked my spark plugs since I've replaced them a few weeks ago and the tips are brown, meaning it's been burning correctly. The old ones were also brown. I think this confirms that its probably not my ignition coils or spark plugs since everything up to the spark is going alright..., so what could it be...? I did test my compression about 2 weeks ago and the numbers i got were somewhere like... 1) 180 2) 205 3)180 4)205 5)205 6)205. I know its a little out of range, but none of the cylinders are considered 'low'. Since then, I seafoamed it last weekend so I'm thinking that might help the carbon buildup in cylinders 2,4,5 and 6. The coils i suspected might have been the problem was moved from the back to the front to avoid having the take off the intake manifold in the case that they were the issue.

Thanks again
Old 05-04-2010, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by OnOiShNo0dl3Z
My buddy went ahead and cleaned my TB and now I have a high idle headache.
Search for "idle relearn". There are a number of threads that describe a dance you go through with the ignition switch and gas pedal. If it doesn't take, enlist your dealer or mechanic to electronically reset the idle with their analysis tool. And if that doesn't take effect, they you're looking at a new TB, somewhere north of $200.

The TB is insanely touchy on our cars. I learned that the hard way, as have many others.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Rochester
Search for "idle relearn". There are a number of threads that describe a dance you go through with the ignition switch and gas pedal. If it doesn't take, enlist your dealer or mechanic to electronically reset the idle with their analysis tool. And if that doesn't take effect, they you're looking at a new TB, somewhere north of $200.

The TB is insanely touchy on our cars. I learned that the hard way, as have many others.
Hah yea, I know. I have the procedures on hand, I just need my SES light to work to do it right now lol. One of the previous owners removed it. Hope I don't need a new TB
Old 05-04-2010, 08:00 AM

Oops, my bad. I went through the whole TB snafu last Fall, and remembering that mess pushed your post details out of my head. Sorry, OP. Hope someone can help.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:28 PM

Hey people. If anyone was wondering, just a quick update. I did take apart my cluster and it looks like there are clear LED's behind it soldered into the PCB. Luckily, one of the previous owners only put tape to block out the SES rather than ripping out the LED haha. So I did the relearn procedures and stuff and everything turned out great. Took me 2 tries lol. Still got that misfiring I think.
Old 05-08-2010, 04:27 PM

Ok and another final update! Just now i was driving around and my SES light shut off!!!!. I know it's still working since I shut off the car and saw it light up when the ignition is on the ON position. Anyone know if this just means that the p0300 went away? Maybe it really is just random, as in not random cylinders, but every once in a while for some odd reason? Could it be from stalling? This is my first manual car after all, but i've gotten much better.