5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Want to do some preventative maintenance and need some advice..please step inside

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 07:47 PM

Want to do some preventative maintenance and need some advice..please step inside

I just turned 103K miles on my 02 SE and decided that this summer I want to have alot of preventative maintenance done to the car...plan to keep it for the long haul....I have been pretty good with making sure she only got premium gas and have been only using synthetic oil and she runs great (have had Blackstone analysis for the last oil change and they said wear was excellent for age and mileage)...the car is very quiet and smooth and only seems to get even better with age.

Question I have is what could I expect to go wrong as she further ages. I want to start changing these things as to avoid costly repairs later. Aside from brakes, flushing coolant every 15-30K, tranny fluid every 30K, and major and minor tune ups (had last major tune up at 75K...put in Denso Iridiums), I have not had to change anything else on the car. I never had an oil consumption issue and the transmission shifts butter smooth...never had the slip issue that I have heard so much about. The crank position sensor was changed about 30K miles ago under warranty.

I do notice though that the ride isn't as good as before and I do have shocks and struts on my list for the summer. I have read many horror stories about precats clogging and toasting the engine or the IACV(hope that is right) going and toasting the ECU....etc.....these are the kinds of things that worry me.
Additionally, I know that the 5.5's have a timing chain....do people change these preventatively?...I think Nissan says it never has to be changed but I am not sure.

Any input on your experiences and what you had to have done by force (just went out) or by choice (preventative) would be helpful. THANKS MUCH.
Old 05-08-2010, 05:46 AM

Oh also forgot to add that I changed all of the serpintine belts at about 70K.
Sorry for the long **** post guys. Again any input would be great.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:34 AM

Don't worry about your timing chains. If you've kept up with oil changes and its quiet, the chains are probably good as new or very close to it.

As far as regular stuff you can expect to fail.

On my fathers' 00 Maxima we just did his water pump around 115k miles. The seals were starting to go bad, the pump itself is still in good shape.

Also, expect to be doing some work on the rear calipers. Aside from that, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Maybe spark plugs if they havent been done, I believe they are rated for 100k miles.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:49 AM

dont forget about the rear vavle cover gasket that tends to leak as well.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:59 AM

Theres alot that can go wrong, it has alot to do with how you drive her, i'll be honest,i hammer my pedal all the time like im in a race car its just my way of driving...my max has 204000 on her and runs MINT aside from my rear caliper rattle and blown shocks n struts,oh and i need to replace my cats...aside from that ive changed radiator,maf,plugs,window regulator,battery,and typical wear and tear such as brake pads,rotors,and i just upgraded to a greddy evo2 catback which im quite surprised by,it is extremely quiet in comparison to most "can" type mufflers...but youre on the right track,dont replace stuff until it breaks though if its not broke dont fix it been there tried that....just leads to more headaches bro
Old 05-10-2010, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by 5 ltr. beater
dont forget about the rear vavle cover gasket that tends to leak as well.
Does this matriculate as a sudden major oil leak or is it a gradual thing you notice....ie...a drop...then 2 or 3 drops...then a puddle.....etc.?
Old 05-12-2010, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by 2 GO B4
Does this matriculate as a sudden major oil leak or is it a gradual thing you notice....ie...a drop...then 2 or 3 drops...then a puddle.....etc.?
You seem to notice it more as a misfire, because it leaks into the spark plug wells around the spark plug tubes, causing oil to build up and eventually misfire.

For what its worth, my 2k2 did not have any dampness at all when I did my spark plugs at 90ish K miles. I just left it alone and put it all back together.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:02 PM

are you going to change your springs too and if you do get a nice drop maybe eibach lol and im not saying that because i have them