5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

OEM HID Fuse blowing help

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010 | 07:21 PM

OEM HID Fuse blowing help

I was recently in a car accident that got my OEM headlights replaced with Depo OEM style lights.

AFter about 2 months, my right headlight flickered when hitting bumps, I thought it might be the bulb, changed that, same problem, then I decided to check the connections.

Upon inspection, I saw there was a loose wire in a connection to the headlight connector. It was the red/orange and blue wires, connecting to the wires going to the hi and lo beams. I re-soldered these wires together,and now when I go to turn on the headlight, I immediately hear the relay clicking and blow the fuse. Whats going wrong here? Did I reconnect the wires wrong somehow? I did the original hook up about 5 years ago, so i dont have the write up anymore to refer to, but it was working fine before I re-soldered.

Im thinking of tomorrow just rechecking my connections from scratch, but if someone happens to have the HID write up they could send me, or shed some light on that particular connection (wires and colors), id greatly appreciate it.
Old 05-11-2010 | 07:04 AM

bump, if anyone can send me the writeup via PM or email (pedrumn@gmail.com) it would be a tremendous help as I am stuck with one headlight right now.

I dont have a receipt, but I do have the repair documents from the shop that I could send if its still a touchy issue.
Old 05-11-2010 | 10:58 AM

Well, I'm not exactly sure if the 2000/2001 wiring colors are the same for the 2002/2003 (and I'm willing to bet they are not)...

but maybe you'll find some information here.

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...ow-here-3.html

I guess you could compare the wiring diagrams and info here to what you already have. I'm sure someone will chime in with the correct information though.

I apologize it isn't much help, but it's a start!

And yep, I'd say recheck all of your connections and make sure you're not grounding out anywere (ie: loose/frayed/open wires touching eachother or other metal surfaces)..and make sure you really do have the right wires connected together.

GL
Old 05-11-2010 | 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by tcaughey
Well, I'm not exactly sure if the 2000/2001 wiring colors are the same for the 2002/2003 (and I'm willing to bet they are not)...

but maybe you'll find some information here.

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...ow-here-3.html

I guess you could compare the wiring diagrams and info here to what you already have. I'm sure someone will chime in with the correct information though.

I apologize it isn't much help, but it's a start!

And yep, I'd say recheck all of your connections and make sure you're not grounding out anywere (ie: loose/frayed/open wires touching eachother or other metal surfaces)..and make sure you really do have the right wires connected together.

GL
hey man, thanks for that link. I actually came across that thread also, and was able to use drunkiethebears "homemade" wiring diagram. Actually works real good. I am about 99% sure I soldered the wire thats supposed to be taped off, so just waiting to go home and try that out.

I just had no recollection of the wiring, it has been so long. I did it when i was a freshman in college, like 7 years ago.
Old 05-13-2010 | 10:16 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a 2002 maxima was in a bad crash repaired complete front end everything works fine but I have no spark anyone know what can cause a problem with the spark fuel is good compression good power to crank sensor but no power to each plug coil also if the security system my cause but when the key is on it goes off so that is working it know the key is right but still no power to coil for plugs