5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Do all 2K2 max's have a heated steering wheel? Idea inside

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2001, 10:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Do all 2K2 max's have a heated steering wheel? Idea inside

I am wondering if maybe Nissan put heated steering wheels in all 2K2 max's, but only included a wiring harness with the C&C package equipped cars? I was thinking maybe nissan just made all the steering wheels with the heating element inside it to save on production costs? I bet if we could find out if there is a different part # for a heated and non-heated wheel we would now for sure. What do you guy's think? It was worth a shot .
Old 12-11-2001, 12:47 AM

i dont know for sure, but I do know that nissan is know to have different steering wheels for the diff trims.
Old 12-11-2001, 06:02 AM

Originally posted by black019
i dont know for sure, but I do know that nissan is know to have different steering wheels for the diff trims.
only if your car has the Meridian package does it have the heated steering wheel.

-j
Old 12-11-2001, 11:26 AM

Originally posted by gt1380a

only if your car has the Meridian package does it have the heated steering wheel.

-j
You have no idea what I am talking about do you?

For anyone interested I have done a little research and found out that the heated seat is controlled by the "smart intrance control unit", my car has this unit. I also looked and all the wiring is in place. I am going down to nissan in a little bit to see if there are different part #'s for a heated and none heated stearing wheel. With any luck there will only be one wheel and I will buy the switch to make this work. I will update you guy's later.

I am also going to try to make the seat move upon intrance and exit like the auotmatic max's have for 02, standard.
Old 12-11-2001, 12:10 PM

Originally posted by emax95
Oh, don't be so hard on him. He was just correcting your comment that the C&C is the package with which the heated steering wheel option comes...when it is Meridian.

While you're doing all this research, could you also plan and write-up a way to install the 2K2 wheel in the 2K1 Max...I don't need the heat...I just like the Nissan emblem.
Old 12-11-2001, 03:47 PM

For anyone interested I have done a little research and found out that the heated seat is controlled by the "smart intrance control unit", my car has this unit. I also looked and all the wiring is in place. I am going down to nissan in a little bit to see if there are different part #'s for a heated and none heated stearing wheel. With any luck there will only be one wheel and I will buy the switch to make this work. I will update you guy's later.

I am also going to try to make the seat move upon intrance and exit like the auotmatic max's have for 02, standard.
This is probably very able to be done. Like in the 4th gen everything is prewired usually jsut takes about 20 bucks more worth of parts to activate it.

SuDZ
Old 12-11-2001, 06:25 PM

Originally posted by SuDZ

This is probably very able to be done. Like in the 4th gen everything is prewired usually jsut takes about 20 bucks more worth of parts to activate it.

SuDZ
But the 4th gen does not have a heated steering wheel.

I went to my very friendly local nissan dealership today and asked about teh part #'s. The guy told me that the part # guide for the o2 has not arrived yet. He said he will ask the parts manager tomarrow and he will get back to me.

In the mean time I bought a cheap switch and tried to do a temporary connection. I don't think I made a proper connection though so nothing happened. I also suspect the fuse for the heated steering wheel is not in my car, I could be wrong though. I will make a update when more news comes available.

Michael98033, you again, huh punk? Just joking , I said what I needed to say as nicely as I could. Why don't you just put the emblem on your steering wheel? I am sure you could make a indentation for the emblem some how, maybe by using heat.
Old 12-12-2001, 01:14 PM

I just meant how they do it for options in general.

SuDZ
Old 12-12-2001, 02:42 PM

I doubt the heated parts will work...

I doubt that the heateing elements are present in the seats and steering wheel. That wheel is used in many other vehicles (without heat), so it would make sense that they would make enough non-heated wheeels to be worth it. Plus, Nissan probably just courced the heated wheel core from the Infiniti parts bin.
The seats are very easy to add the heating elements (just goes under the leather), so the cost savings of just making one type of seat are probably not great enough to make it worth it.

Yes, often manufacturers make one part to save cost and deactivate options. But this usually has to do with small parts or computer chip parts where the additional cost of adding that feature is very low to begin with. The additional cost of having a heated core to the wheel, and the additional cost of producing the heated inserts for the seats would outweigh the cost of being able to simply add these to certain cars that are intended to ahve these as an option.

Now, YES, chances are that the wiring harness is the same - that there is one universal wiring harness for cars with AND without heated seats/wheels. Because it would not be worth it to save maybe $1 to have a few less wires in the harness for certain vehicles. But to say that there would be costs savings enough for Nissan to add the heating elements to the seats and wheel to ALL Maximas is really stretching things. These aren't just $2 parts we are talking about.

I understand, though, that you would really like this to be true!

Hey, maybe if you tear off the cloth seat covers in your car, there will be leather underneath!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old 12-12-2001, 03:57 PM

Michael98033, you again, huh punk? Just joking , I said what I needed to say as nicely as I could. Why don't you just put the emblem on your steering wheel? I am sure you could make a indentation for the emblem some how, maybe by using heat.
Well, my wheel has got the symbol "branded" into the rubber cover for the airbag...not sure I could get the other emblem in their in a clean way unless the new '02 emblem on the wheel happens to be the exact same size as the symbol impressed into the rubber on mine (wouldn't that be nice). I'll have to stop by a dealership and check this out sometime.
Old 12-12-2001, 06:07 PM

Re: I doubt the heated parts will work...

Originally posted by 2k2se6spd
I doubt that the heateing elements are present in the seats and steering wheel. That wheel is used in many other vehicles (without heat), so it would make sense that they would make enough non-heated wheeels to be worth it. Plus, Nissan probably just courced the heated wheel core from the Infiniti parts bin.
The seats are very easy to add the heating elements (just goes under the leather), so the cost savings of just making one type of seat are probably not great enough to make it worth it.

Yes, often manufacturers make one part to save cost and deactivate options. But this usually has to do with small parts or computer chip parts where the additional cost of adding that feature is very low to begin with. The additional cost of having a heated core to the wheel, and the additional cost of producing the heated inserts for the seats would outweigh the cost of being able to simply add these to certain cars that are intended to ahve these as an option.

Now, YES, chances are that the wiring harness is the same - that there is one universal wiring harness for cars with AND without heated seats/wheels. Because it would not be worth it to save maybe $1 to have a few less wires in the harness for certain vehicles. But to say that there would be costs savings enough for Nissan to add the heating elements to the seats and wheel to ALL Maximas is really stretching things. These aren't just $2 parts we are talking about.

I understand, though, that you would really like this to be true!

Hey, maybe if you tear off the cloth seat covers in your car, there will be leather underneath!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist.
I agree with every thing you said except the steering wheel, you are probably right about that though too. I ever said anything about the seats having a heater core in them, this topics has allready discussed and there is indeed no heater in the seats. I figured I would look into the wheel a little bit, I don't really think there is a heater in it, I do however think it is worth looking into.. just incase.
Old 12-12-2001, 11:16 PM

Re: Do all 2K2 max's have a heated steering wheel? Idea inside

I am wondering if maybe Nissan put heated steering wheels in all 2K2 max's, but only included a wiring harness with the C&C package equipped cars? I was thinking maybe nissan just made all the steering wheels with the heating element inside it to save on production costs? I bet if we could find out if there is a different part # for a heated and non-heated wheel we would now for sure. What do you guy's think? It was worth a shot .
My guess is it's a different steering wheel because they do have different steering wheels on the i35. If you get the Luxury edition i35, the steering wheel gets wood trim on it. But if you get the Luxury edition with Winter(Meridian) package, the steering wheel is leather wrapped for the heating elements.

Of course this doesn't mean that all the leather-wrapped steering wheels don't have the heating elements. But if they're already changing steering wheels depending on the packages on the car, I'm guessing it's not that much more difficult to have one part leather part # for the heated seats, and one without.

Still worth looking into though... just in case
Old 12-13-2001, 01:16 AM

Originally posted by Michael98033

Well, my wheel has got the symbol "branded" into the rubber cover for the airbag...not sure I could get the other emblem in their in a clean way unless the new '02 emblem on the wheel happens to be the exact same size as the symbol impressed into the rubber on mine (wouldn't that be nice). I'll have to stop by a dealership and check this out sometime.

Be careful about gluing anything to the front of your steering wheel.

What if you get into a wreck and the airbag goes off? You want to walk around for the rest of your life with a backwards Nissan emblem permanently attached to your forehead?
Old 12-13-2001, 01:25 AM

Originally posted by 2k2se6spd

Be careful about gluing anything to the front of your steering wheel.

What if you get into a wreck and the airbag goes off? You want to walk around for the rest of your life with a backwards Nissan emblem permanently attached to your forehead?
Hahaha, yeap you are SOOOOOOOOOOOOO right on that.

Secondly, yeah we have pre-wiring for the heated seats, but WE DO NOT have the coils in the seats if did not get the Meridian package. I dont care if tell me you got all the wires and what not, you still dont have the coils in the seat, unless you want to ghetto rig a heating pad of some sort in there?

Dixit
Old 12-13-2001, 02:02 AM

Originally posted by BigDogJonx

Secondly, yeah we have pre-wiring for the heated seats, but WE DO NOT have the coils in the seats if did not get the Meridian package. I dont care if tell me you got all the wires and what not, you still dont have the coils in the seat, unless you want to ghetto rig a heating pad of some sort in there?

Dixit
There are after-market heating systems that can be installed. I wonder if there's a way for ppl without the package to buy the Nissan elements? I looked into the aftermarket systems for my old Max. I just didn't like the look of the switches.
Old 12-13-2001, 04:30 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

ethan i don't man. i bet nissan didn't make the steering wheels the same. they have used a different wheel just for differenet models so i don't think this is gonna work. BUT if you get the auto entry/exit feature to work your coming over here and doing it to mine. i want it
Old 12-13-2001, 09:59 AM

Originally posted by BigDogJonx

Dixit
I will be ghetto rigging some heated seats in , in a week or two. I have heated seats in my 95 so I ma going to just swap them out of there .

I found a climate control unit for my car for $50, I just need the 3 sensors and I am all set{i think}.

Steve, I am working on the seat idea, it's a bit confusing with the complex wiring diagrams I have.
Old 12-13-2001, 11:03 PM

I will be ghetto rigging some heated seats in , in a week or two. I have heated seats in my 95 so I ma going to just swap them out of there .

I found a climate control unit for my car for $50, I just need the 3 sensors and I am all set{i think}.

Steve, I am working on the seat idea, it's a bit confusing with the complex wiring diagrams I have.
i have a factory service manual on CD. pm me for more details
Old 12-13-2001, 11:53 PM

Originally posted by dmbmaxima88

i have a factory service manual on CD. pm me for more details
I got it too
Old 12-14-2001, 05:02 AM

I got it too
nice
Old 12-14-2001, 05:35 AM
Mauja He Mauja

so noone knows how to install the heating element for the leather seats????
Old 12-14-2001, 05:51 AM
RussMaxManiac

Call Dave Burnette!

I went to my very friendly local nissan dealership today and asked about teh part #'s. The guy told me that the part # guide for the o2 has not arrived yet. He said he will ask the parts manager tomarrow and he will get back to me.

In the mean time I bought a cheap switch and tried to do a temporary connection. I don't think I made a proper connection though so nothing happened. I also suspect the fuse for the heated steering wheel is not in my car, I could be wrong though. I will make a update when more news comes available.

Old 12-14-2001, 01:34 PM

I also found some heated AND massaging seats that can be installed too. Was thinking about that for the old 2k, but because there are a lot of options it's actually a wired remote that controls it instead of an OEM-looking switch.

I'll try to dig up the old url if anyone's interested...
Old 12-14-2001, 01:57 PM
Mauja He Mauja

Originally posted by xydavid
I also found some heated AND massaging seats that can be installed too. Was thinking about that for the old 2k, but because there are a lot of options it's actually a wired remote that controls it instead of an OEM-looking switch.

I'll try to dig up the old url if anyone's interested...
i am interested to keep my buns warm , so yes the url will be of help..thanks