5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Opinions/Critique of 02 Max SE?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2001, 12:26 AM
Ahmer300

Opinions/Critique of 02 Max SE?

hey guys and gals...i was just wanting to know your opinions regarding the 02 maxima, especially the SE. I'm pretty happy with my Accord (00 V6 Coupe), but my parents are about to buy a new car, and i've been trying to convince them to get a max (or I35).

Is the increase in hp really felt, or does it just compensate for the extra weight? Also, since it's my parents, they're probably gonna buy an auto...how is the auto tranny on this thing. Are the shifts smooth, and do you think there will be problems handling all the power that this sucker is making?

Also, how do you guys like the new options and the overall fit and finish. I have yet to go out and test drive one, hopefully in the next week or two, i will do that.

I'd like to apologise in advance because this is a "newbie" question, and i'm sure you guys get sick of answering these questions. If you guys would like to point me to another thread instead, that would also be fine. Any opinions would be appreciated, especially a comparison to the I35 (is it worth the extra money?) Thanks guys.

Old 12-12-2001, 06:41 AM

Re: Opinions/Critique of 02 Max SE?

Had ours for about 3 weeks now...fit and finish are decent, actually not bad at all. Tranny needs a fifth gear, but shifts smoothly. We owned an Accord before this, and there really isn't a comparison as far as power is concerned; however, the new Accord due out soon will have an optional 260hp engine (Maybe from the TL/CL Type S?)

The ride is pretty smooth, but Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde in real life...what I mean by this is when driving and I see a rough patch of road, I think to myself uh oh, and then the car just rolls right on through like glass, and then minor irregularities go THUMP THUMP THUMP. Solid rear end doesn't help matters, I'm sure.

We've had problems with our steering , which I won't go into again, but this doesn't seem to be a widespread problem

Overall a good car
Old 12-12-2001, 07:09 AM
Arctic Trooper

I’ve had my ’02 SE for about a month now. It’s a very good car, especially for the money. By far the best part of the car is the engine. I traded in a ’95 Mustang GT 5sp to get the Maxima; I also currently own a ’95 Corvette 6sp. So when I tell you that this car is surprisingly powerful, you can believe it. What it doesn’t do very well (compared to a Mustang GT or Corvette) is go around turns. That’s to be expected of course in a 3500lb. front driver, but I am disappointed in the handling (it IS an SE after all).

Coincidently, my wife has a 2000 Accord V6 coupe like yours. Although my Maxima is more powerful than the Accord, I have to say that I like the “feel” of the Honda’s brakes, steering and throttle better. The Maxima’s controls have a very light feel and don’t give a lot of feedback or inspire a lot of confidence. Comparing the two transmissions, the Maxima’s is much smoother, in fact it’s probably the smoothest upshifting and downshifting automatic I’ve ever driven. Also, the new gated shifter is pretty cool.

Fit and finish seems pretty good. It does not exude the quality of a Honda Accord, but the extra 55 hp more than makes up for its shortcomings in that area. Others here will tell you that the Bose system sucks, but I happen to think it’s pretty good (slightly better than the Accord and far better than the Mach 460 system in the Mustang and the Bose system in my Corvette). The HID headlamps (standard this year) are great. Minor complaints: lack of heated mirrors, no dead pedal, seats are flat and have no lateral support, cheesy floor mats, cheesy sunroof switch, cheesy jack cover panel in trunk, sunroof panel is not tinted.

Overall I am very happy with the car, but again, the deciding factor for me was the 255 horsepower under the hood. Your parents probably have different priorities. All I wanted was a car that was more comfortable and easier to drive in rush hour traffic than my Mustang. The Maxima is certainly both of those things with the added bonus of being more powerful, so for me it was a no-brainer.

Dave

Old 12-12-2001, 08:22 AM

go for it. there's no car in the world for under $30,000 that'll give you Camry-like comfort and reliability, Grand Prix GTP or better acceleration, HIDs, nav, and avail. 6-speed in 1 package.
Old 12-12-2001, 08:24 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Opinions/Critique of 02 Max SE?

I just got an 02 SE two weeks ago. The engine is the greatest thing I've ever driven for a front wheel drive car. Even though it's an auto, the trans shifts well with the gate and makes it fun as hell to drive. The Bose with the radio sucks. CD's sound good though.

I agree with fit and finish not being Honda/Acura quality. It's good, but not awesome...

For me, it came down to the Max and a 3.2 TL Type S. The Type S is a luxury car with a really good engine. The Max is an awesome engine with a pseudo luxury car wrapped around it.

That's why I got the Max. The engine (to me at least) is that good.

Oh, and 4K less actual buyable price (Nissan deals, the Acrua dealer wouldn't) swung it too.
Old 12-12-2001, 08:33 AM

I'm confused. My 2002 Max SE is coming with heated mirrors, and my 2000 Max SE has heated mirrors too.

Minor complaints: lack of heated mirrors, no dead pedal, seats are flat and have no lateral support, cheesy floor mats, cheesy sunroof switch, cheesy jack cover panel in trunk, sunroof panel is not tinted.

Dave [/B][/QUOTE]
Old 12-12-2001, 10:17 AM
Arctic Trooper

Originally posted by Eric
I'm confused. My 2002 Max SE is coming with heated mirrors, and my 2000 Max SE has heated mirrors too.

Minor complaints: lack of heated mirrors, no dead pedal, seats are flat and have no lateral support, cheesy floor mats, cheesy sunroof switch, cheesy jack cover panel in trunk, sunroof panel is not tinted.
Dave
[/B][/QUOTE]

Mine does not have the Meridian Package (which includes heated mirrors).

Dave

Old 12-12-2001, 12:15 PM
Ahmer300

I agree with fit and finish not being Honda/Acura quality. It's good, but not awesome...
hmm...that's a bit disconcerting...because i haven't been that impressed with honda fit and finish. Perhaps I have really high standards...these are "pseudo-luxury" after all...even the TL-S IMO.

Coincidently, my wife has a 2000 Accord V6 coupe like yours. Although my Maxima is more powerful than the Accord, I have to say that I like the “feel” of the Honda’s brakes, steering and throttle better. The Maxima’s controls have a very light feel and don’t give a lot of feedback or inspire a lot of confidence.
I agree...I too enjoy the accords feel. However, I don't think my parents want to feel the road, rather, they just want to feel comfortable. If my parents car has a stiff ride, their thoughts won't be, "does it handle well", rather, they'll think its a crappy car...so a smooth ride is something I/We are looking for...and the Max seems to be a good candidate, for the most part.

The ride is pretty smooth, but Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde in real life...what I mean by this is when driving and I see a rough patch of road, I think to myself uh oh, and then the car just rolls right on through like glass, and then minor irregularities go THUMP THUMP THUMP. Solid rear end doesn't help matters, I'm sure.
I'm assuming you have an SE, right? Is it the "sport-tuned" suspension that causes this phenomenon, or is this the way the 2k2's behave across the board (all trims)? Also, has anyone else had steering problems, which were alluded to in one of the posts?

While I really like the engine (always have...i almost bought a max before I went ahead with the accord), I can't let it be the deciding factor since this is primarily my parents car. I was looking at the other thread about pricing, and someone mentioned 26.5-26.7 as being a good price on a loaded SE...that seems a bit steep to me, keeping in mind that the engine is not the most important factor (although it would be if the car were mine). For a little more, you could get a I35 or TL..225 hp isn't great, but it's not that bad either. Plus it has a five speed sportshift. Well, just looking at my options here..hopefully i can get a better deal than 26.5 on the Max, but we'll see...

By the way, thanks for the replies everyone...keep 'em coming if you've got anything more to say...on a sidenote, i'd like to say that you guys are nicer/more civil on this board than on most v6 accord boards...I really got sick of the way people acted there...as if they were god's gift to the car world...anyways...thanks

Old 12-12-2001, 01:26 PM

Originally posted by Ahmer300

hmm...that's a bit disconcerting...because i haven't been that impressed with honda fit and finish. Perhaps I have really high standards...these are "pseudo-luxury" after all...even the TL-S IMO.

I agree...I too enjoy the accords feel. However, I don't think my parents want to feel the road, rather, they just want to feel comfortable. If my parents car has a stiff ride, their thoughts won't be, "does it handle well", rather, they'll think its a crappy car...so a smooth ride is something I/We are looking for...and the Max seems to be a good candidate, for the most part.

I'm assuming you have an SE, right? Is it the "sport-tuned" suspension that causes this phenomenon, or is this the way the 2k2's behave across the board (all trims)? Also, has anyone else had steering problems, which were alluded to in one of the posts?

While I really like the engine (always have...i almost bought a max before I went ahead with the accord), I can't let it be the deciding factor since this is primarily my parents car. I was looking at the other thread about pricing, and someone mentioned 26.5-26.7 as being a good price on a loaded SE...that seems a bit steep to me, keeping in mind that the engine is not the most important factor (although it would be if the car were mine). For a little more, you could get a I35 or TL..225 hp isn't great, but it's not that bad either. Plus it has a five speed sportshift. Well, just looking at my options here..hopefully i can get a better deal than 26.5 on the Max, but we'll see...

By the way, thanks for the replies everyone...keep 'em coming if you've got anything more to say...on a sidenote, i'd like to say that you guys are nicer/more civil on this board than on most v6 accord boards...I really got sick of the way people acted there...as if they were god's gift to the car world...anyways...thanks
Seems to me that you should be considering a GLE. I've driven the SE and GLE 2K2s back to back and the GLE has a smoother ride which would appeal to your parents. I feel the pavement more in the SE's seat. If you are concerned about loss of handling, the 17's on the 2K2 GLE have improved the cornering over last year and there is less body roll.
I priced a 2k2 GLE with spoiler, 4 wheel painted splash guards and mats for 25.9 at the local dealer.
And GLE comes with leather, climate control, Bose changer, etc.
The performance and automagic shifting are first rate.
Old 12-12-2001, 02:52 PM
Ahmer300

Originally posted by Rogo

Seems to me that you should be considering a GLE. I've driven the SE and GLE 2K2s back to back and the GLE has a smoother ride which would appeal to your parents. I feel the pavement more in the SE's seat. If you are concerned about loss of handling, the 17's on the 2K2 GLE have improved the cornering over last year and there is less body roll.
I priced a 2k2 GLE with spoiler, 4 wheel painted splash guards and mats for 25.9 at the local dealer.
And GLE comes with leather, climate control, Bose changer, etc.
The performance and automagic shifting are first rate.
Well, the GLE would probably be the ideal Maxima for my parents, however, i thought the price difference would be more substantial. 25.9 is just about invoice with those options included, so i'm not sure if i could get a local dealer to come down to that price...I just figured the SE would offer more options than the GXE for a more reasonable price...but if i can get close to invoice on a GLE, that would be ideal.

Old 12-12-2001, 03:27 PM

Well, the GLE would probably be the ideal Maxima for my parents, however, i thought the price difference would be more substantial. 25.9 is just about invoice with those options included, so i'm not sure if i could get a local dealer to come down to that price...I just figured the SE would offer more options than the GXE for a more reasonable price...but if i can get close to invoice on a GLE, that would be ideal.
Invoice is $25,410 including destination ($540). You should not have any problem finding a dealer willing to take $500 over Invoice. Ask for the fleet/internet sales manager. They tend to work off of invoice rather than sticker price.
Good luck.
Old 12-12-2001, 06:33 PM

Re: Re: Opinions/Critique of 02 Max SE?

Originally posted by sllloyd however, the new Accord due out soon will have an optional 260hp engine (Maybe from the TL/CL Type S?)
[/B]
Since when is the Accord getting a 260hp engine? Where'd you hear/read this?

Geez!!!! Now, instead of being a bland, "run of the mill" family car, it's going to be a bland, "run of the mill", family car that can go fast! Well, unless it's 260 hp with 135 lbs of torque.

Old 12-12-2001, 06:52 PM

rogo where did you find that price . i paid 31,500 for my 02 gle almost fully equip. thanks no spoiler still fighting with the dealer dont go to stevens creek nissan te suck thats where i went that was my mistake
Old 12-12-2001, 07:32 PM
Ahmer300

Re: Re: Re: Opinions/Critique of 02 Max SE?

Originally posted by NoHalo

Since when is the Accord getting a 260hp engine? Where'd you hear/read this?

Geez!!!! Now, instead of being a bland, "run of the mill" family car, it's going to be a bland, "run of the mill", family car that can go fast! Well, unless it's 260 hp with 135 lbs of torque.

I can almost guarantee you that the Accord won't get a 260 hp engine...that just doesn't sound likely to me...but who knows. Most likely, the accord will get the 3.2 225hp base...but perhaps there will be a "sporty" trim level for the coupe with more hp...but i'm not too sure...

Old 12-13-2001, 06:36 AM

Re: Re: Re: Opinions/Critique of 02 Max SE?

I heard this kicked around on another board....I don't think it's that farfetched...Other manufacturers aren't going to just sit idly by and let Nissan grab sales over hp. In the long run, it won't cost them much to offer that much power.
Old 12-13-2001, 06:40 AM

yes, we have an SE
Old 12-13-2001, 07:38 AM

Maybe

Originally posted by 02maxima
rogo where did you find that price . i paid 31,500 for my 02 gle almost fully equip. thanks no spoiler still fighting with the dealer dont go to stevens creek nissan te suck thats where i went that was my mistake

For 31,500 I hope you got the NAV system. Most of the prices thrown around here are without it and are the standard price, it doesn't include taxes, tags, etc...
Old 12-13-2001, 10:39 AM

Originally posted by Blackgums100

For 31,500 I hope you got the NAV system. Most of the prices thrown around here are without it and are the standard price, it doesn't include taxes, tags, etc...
yes i got the nav system so rogo where did you see that price at ?
Old 12-13-2001, 10:41 AM
Ahmer300

Re: Re: Re: Re: Opinions/Critique of 02 Max SE?

Originally posted by sllloyd
I heard this kicked around on another board....I don't think it's that farfetched...Other manufacturers aren't going to just sit idly by and let Nissan grab sales over hp. In the long run, it won't cost them much to offer that much power.
Well, i guess the question becomes, will Nissan grab sales over hp, specifically from the Accord. Now keeping in mind that Accord owners usually are after quality, reliability, and fuel economy, and the fact that Honda does NOT offer a stick on the v6 specifically because there is not enough demand from performance motivated consumers indicates that most accord owners (or prospective owners) will not run to Nissan because they have more hp...

that said, I think nissan will increase it's sales with the higher hp, but i don't think any one company, especially Honda is in danger of losing a significant amount of sales, and so there is no incentive to enter into a hp war with Nissan. Assuming that the Accord received an optional 260 hp engine, the Type S Acura variants would have to get a substantial hp increase...possibly 290 to 300 hp...you're looking at the figures for the current NSX...on a FWD car!! Considering Honda's conservative track record, I think that's unlikely, but hey...you never know.

Old 12-13-2001, 10:53 AM

Originally posted by 02maxima

yes i got the nav system so rogo where did you see that price at ?
Irvine Nissan in south Los Angeles. It does not have Nav or Sunroof (i'm too tall), just the options mentioned and all the other stuff that GLE comes with.