5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

flooring an auto

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 07:47 PM

Drive as you want, any car can fck up any time no matter if you drive it hard or tame, I open up my SER everyday
Old 06-27-2010, 08:28 PM

i floor the gas pedal 8 to 10 times a week, but who never knew that wasnt more pressure on the engine and trans ???
Old 06-27-2010, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by ABlackSER
Drive as you want, any car can fck up any time no matter if you drive it hard or tame, I open up my SER everyday

Everything breaks, just a matter of when and how
Old 06-27-2010, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by J2FRESH
lmao

yea from what he told me but hey im sure someone is goin to disagree but to each his own
There was a huge debate on manually shifting an automatic tranny back on the Celica forums I used to go to. (The 2ZZ-GE motor in the GT-S made peak torque at like 6,500 RPM and peak HP at 7,600, but the tranny would upshift at about 6,200, so manually shifting it at redline made a huge difference) The consensus was that doing that was ricey and will most likely blow up your tranny and destroy the space-time continuum. I never believed that though, and both my Celica's and Maxima's transmissions never showed any signs of damage from doing that.

My opinion: Nissan included the 1, 2, and 3 gate on the shifter, so you might as well use them!
Old 06-27-2010, 09:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Z-Powered

My opinion: Nissan included the 1, 2, and 3 gate on the shifter, so you might as well use them!

AGREED^^^ COULDNT SAY IT BETTER MYSELF LOL
Old 06-28-2010, 03:59 AM
Turbo'd Saab

And you all wondered how I got 30mpg on average from my maxima

Just sayin'
Old 06-28-2010, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by byrdman164
You know whats worse for the car? Starting it and driving it cold, for a short distance and then shutting it off without warming it up.
Worse still is hammering on the poor thing without letting it warm up.

There is a difference between driving hard (but smoothly) and driving harshly. Trannies are for the most part fairly durable, but their life will be shortened if they are always shifting with heavy impact loads happening. Occasional forced downshifts aren't nearly as bad as wheel hop or spinning on snow/ice/wet and suddenly catching a dry bare patch of pavement.

Norm
Old 06-28-2010, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
Senior member or senior citizen?
Probably both.

Sure, I'll floor any car if I have reason to, most likely for a moment or so on corner exit once I'm not cornering so hard that it'll either plow or loop on me. But just jumping on it in a straight line over and over again for no apparent reason is boring, kind of mindless, and not worth my while.

Norm
Old 06-28-2010, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Probably both.

Sure, I'll floor any car if I have reason to, most likely for a moment or so on corner exit once I'm not cornering so hard that it'll either plow or loop on me. But just jumping on it in a straight line over and over again for no apparent reason is boring, kind of mindless, and not worth my while.

Norm
unless your at the track... to each his own they say
Old 06-28-2010, 03:10 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
unless your at the track... to each his own they say
I thought highways are just big tracks

Old 06-28-2010, 09:02 PM

personally i drive all cars rough...from my moms beater corolla to my 96 hp civic hatch to my maxima and my altimas.
each car when driven by me gets pedal to the metal treatment. no issues here.
the day i get a 911 carerra (when i do) with so much power on tap maybe i wont have to floor it lolz
Old 06-28-2010, 11:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by a33_ridah
personally i drive all cars rough...from my moms beater corolla to my 96 hp civic hatch to my maxima and my altimas.
each car when driven by me gets pedal to the metal treatment. no issues here.
the day i get a 911 carerra (when i do) with so much power on tap maybe i wont have to floor it lolz
same here
Old 06-28-2010, 11:40 PM

the most I've ever seen suffer in a maxima from driving rough are the wearable parts... ie brakes, suspension and gas
Old 06-29-2010, 12:01 AM
Cletus

Originally Posted by SLCPunk267
Any time you put the pedal to the floor, be it auto or manual, it's abusive and can cause damage.

This is basic knowledge...

if you say so

i like all the comment that say that driving your car hard is "abusive" and "******* it"...you can drive your car hard with no abuse...just take care of it...i drove my car hard all the time...high rev shifting...downshifting (with rev match) into a corner...late braking...but when I wasnt driving it, I was babying it...did all my own maintenance, etc...best fluids and parts...so I knew that the car was fine and could handle the way I drove it...yes I had to replace "wear items" (brake pads, rotors, tires, struts, etc) more often...but that isnt "abuse"...those are wear items...nothing big went bad because of how i drove...i guarantee my car was in better condition then most cars on here...and it wasnt because of how i drove it...it was because of how i took care of it

Last edited by SoonerFan; 06-29-2010 at 12:11 AM.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:14 AM

Hard driving does not have to be abusive, but it frequently is if the driver cannot drive hard, smoothly. Rev-matching a MT is as smooth as the driver is at doing it and OE automatic tranny shifting is mostly smooth, but shifting with aftermarket shift kits frequently is not (the more you can feel the shift, the less smooth it is and the more impact was involved).

Not every part in your car has an infinite fatigue life, and the short story about fatigue is that fatigue life can be tremendously shortened by relatively small increases in loading that is repeated over and over. Put double the cyclic stress in a part (as impact loading can easily do) every single time and the part won't last half as long like you might think - it'll be lasting more like only 3% to 5% as long. Maybe even 3% component life will outlast your ownership of the car, but I won't be betting my retirement on it.

My day job actually does involve performing fatigue life evaluations from time to time, so I'm not making this stuff up.

That said, whether one considers accelerated wear to be abusive or not depends mostly on the individual person's concept of what constitutes acceptable wear rates. But this isn't outright failure, just its wear life being used up faster.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 06-30-2010 at 09:04 AM.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by jowo9
Oh come on. Just enjoy your Maxima while you have it
i agree its a sedan sports car so enjoyy! just be carefull
Old 06-30-2010, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by SLCPunk267
Any time you put the pedal to the floor, be it auto or manual, it's abusive and can cause damage.

This is basic knowledge...
Any time you drive your car, or press any pedal on it, it wears, and things can break. Really. If you don't like things breaking, sell the car, no matter what type it is. Take a bus, and don't wear shoes either, they'll wear out too.

With this out of the way, other posters not making blanket statements are correct. There is hard driving, and there is abusive driving. Some driving styles considered "easy" are also abusive, like the DC area "slow mosey" off of the red lights here (almost impossible in a max, and infuriating to follow in an automatic max), or driving at a speed where the automatic transmission hunts for a gear.

There is nothing wrong with driving a car hard. Some designs even benefit from changes in usage patterns once in a while - like tires, using the same mechanism exactly the same way if it's built to cover a range of uses tends to hurt longevity rather than help, which is why tires are rotated. Most car user's manuals state that during break-in, avoid running the engine at exactly the same speed for extended periods. This is also why in many cases a car seems to run better after a run on the highway to "blow out the carbon."

I personally tend to avoid hard down-shifts if I can, but if I am in second gear and the on-ramp is clear, I open it up smoothly to WOT. You won't hurt the engine any, and you won't hurt anything else if you're not making the transmission shift and you're not running the engine at redline for extended periods.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:09 AM

Most of the time I drive my max like a bat out of hell. 120K and knock on wood 0 problems. From what I understand the Max auto trannies are pretty tough. Hell look at that Aron92SE guy he went through what? 3 engines? before he nuked the AUTO tranny. To me that type of longevity under track conditions is a testament tot he auto trans.

As for harming the max depends on how you drive it. The Max is a machine. Machines not only break down but they wear in. If you drive like a grandma going to church every day, the day you drive like Steve McQueen you're going to break something. But if you drive like Steve McQueen on a regular basis, you will still break stuff but the car will be more used to your driving habits.

Another aspect of driving aggressively, you will feel more of your car and be in a closer tune with what it is telling you. Therefore by driving aggressively you will know your motor mounts are getting tired, you will know a coil is getting weak you will know a cat is getting plugged.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by tookrzy4u192
drive it like you stole it.. if anything happens to the engine, buy a new one
To that maybe a 04 or 05 Engine that doesn't burn oil as quickly!!
Old 07-05-2010, 10:56 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by homeyclaus
I personally tend to avoid hard down-shifts if I can
there is never a "hard" downshift if you properly rev match
Old 07-06-2010, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by SoonerFan
there is never a "hard" downshift if you properly rev match
That is, of course, the catch.

Until rather recently, automated capability to rev-match on downshift (with powertrains like the OP's that do not have a clutch pedal) did not exist. I know of exactly one person who has rev-matched an automatic tranny while downshifting it using the shift lever (and just like downshifting a MT, timing/coordination is everything where smoothness counts).

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 07-06-2010 at 03:37 AM.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Love_00_Max
Flooring the pedal is abuse for not just the tranny, it is abuse all across.
I wouldn't floor even a rented vehicle let alone a personal one, its just me!!!
Senior member or senior citizen?

Old 07-06-2010, 11:51 AM

I don't see why it's an issue. The main reason I keep buying a Nissan is b/c the odds of breaking it are slim to none (as long as it's maintained obviously, which is little and get rid of bull**** like cats).

I redline my car dozens of times daily, slam it into gear, etc without worry. If I wanted to worry I would've bought a domestic (yes, I'm a profound hater, deal with it ).

Drive it like you want. That's why you bought the car. If you're afraid to drive it, then sell it.

I'm not trying to be a ****, but that's my .02. The engine and to a lesser extent, the car itself, was designed to be performance orientated. 171k on the this one and I rip it as if it was gonna blow up tomorrow. But it won't haha
oh my fukcin god!!! lol ...amen to that brotha.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:07 PM

That is, of course, the catch.

Until rather recently, automated capability to rev-match on downshift (with powertrains like the OP's that do not have a clutch pedal) did not exist. I know of exactly one person who has rev-matched an automatic tranny while downshifting it using the shift lever (and just like downshifting a MT, timing/coordination is everything where smoothness counts).

Norm
Make that two.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:41 PM
Cletus

there is no reason you should be manually downshifting a traditional auto
Old 07-06-2010, 09:10 PM

^ Engine braking?
Old 07-06-2010, 09:17 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Originally Posted by xshadow715
haha does that make it pick up any faster? lol btw thanks for the info guys =P any1 know if those STP fuel additives actually work?
Not a lot of experience with STP, but I've used the big bottles of Lucus Fuel additive and after 2-3 tanks I noticed a 2-3 mpg increase (I'm one of those that measure EVERY tank). Stopped using it, and my mpg dropped by 1 mpg. I'm currently getting between 21-22 mpg........depending on how often I floor my automatic. True story!
Old 07-06-2010, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Gregg
Not a lot of experience with STP, but I've used the big bottles of Lucus Fuel additive and after 2-3 tanks I noticed a 2-3 mpg increase (I'm one of those that measure EVERY tank). Stopped using it, and my mpg dropped by 1 mpg. I'm currently getting between 21-22 mpg........depending on how often I floor my automatic. True story!
Yeah that lucas fuel additive is great,I put the big bottle they sell in my tank and noticed the difference pretty fast
Old 07-07-2010, 04:39 AM

there is no reason you should be manually downshifting a traditional auto
Other than for reasons of wanting or needing engine compression braking (thanks, Z), that is entirely true for those who are content to use only the 'P', 'R', and 'D' positions anyway. Most people fit here, looking at the AT either for its convenience or its dragstrip suitability. No flame intended.

But there are a few of us who are hardwired to downshift before entering a slowish corner and have the car in the right gear while going through the turn rather than let the transmission dictate that you drive with either too few engine revs (while it is refusing to downshift) or too many too suddenly (when it finally does).

I don't think I could force myself to creep around most of an on-ramp at 25-ish mph in 5th, finally step down on the gas when the road is perfectly straight again and put up with the resulting too-late downshift or double downshift. That's just a horribly un-smooth stomp or steer approach to driving that makes me cringe inside when I ride with somebody who drives that way.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 07-07-2010 at 04:43 AM.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:16 PM
Cletus

Other than for reasons of wanting or needing engine compression braking (thanks, Z), that is entirely true for those who are content to use only the 'P', 'R', and 'D' positions anyway. Most people fit here, looking at the AT either for its convenience or its dragstrip suitability. No flame intended.

But there are a few of us who are hardwired to downshift before entering a slowish corner and have the car in the right gear while going through the turn rather than let the transmission dictate that you drive with either too few engine revs (while it is refusing to downshift) or too many too suddenly (when it finally does).

I don't think I could force myself to creep around most of an on-ramp at 25-ish mph in 5th, finally step down on the gas when the road is perfectly straight again and put up with the resulting too-late downshift or double downshift. That's just a horribly un-smooth stomp or steer approach to driving that makes me cringe inside when I ride with somebody who drives that way.

Norm
and im saying that if you a driver that wants more control of the gear...get an MT...and normal auto isnt made to manually downshift frequently

there is no better feeling than to go in to acorner hot...late brake...downshift from 4th to second with a perfetc throttle blip...then get back on the throttle as you exit the turn.

you cant do that in an auto
Old 07-07-2010, 07:31 PM
My axles cry for mercy...

there is no better feeling than to go in to acorner hot...late brake...downshift from 4th to second with a perfetc throttle blip...then get back on the throttle as you exit the turn.

This statement makes me wanna take a drive. Converting to manual was the most satisfying change to my car so far. I'll be right back.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:40 PM

If it was as easy to convert to a 6spd I would've done so a loooong time ago....
Old 07-07-2010, 07:48 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by essential1
This statement makes me wanna take a drive. Converting to manual was the most satisfying change to my car so far. I'll be right back.
i used to take a longer route to work...cause it included long sweeping ramps and ramps with tight turns at the end
Old 07-07-2010, 08:30 PM

life begins at 6000rpm

/thread
Old 07-07-2010, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
If it was as easy to convert to a 6spd I would've done so a loooong time ago....
+500

To SoonerFan, I agree. People that are really into driving should be driving a car with a MT. Unfortunately, 6MT Maximas are getting hard to find, and in my case, some of my family members drive my car occasionally and they have no idea what to do with a clutch pedal. But the next time around, I'm buying a car with a manual transmission for sure. 6MT 135i FTW.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:23 AM
Cletus

Originally Posted by Z-Powered

To SoonerFan, I agree. People that are really into driving should be driving a car with a MT. Unfortunately, 6MT Maximas are getting hard to find, and in my case, some of my family members drive my car occasionally and they have no idea what to do with a clutch pedal. But the next time around, I'm buying a car with a manual transmission for sure. 6MT 135i FTW.
all of my cars have been MT...my Xterra is the first auto..which is fine in an SUV...im saving up for the car I really want...and while I'm saving, I will drive whatever is cheap...and it will all be worth it...and adult car...with *****...

6MT S5
Old 07-08-2010, 04:21 AM

and im saying that if you a driver that wants more control of the gear...get an MT
Precisely what I have done since about October, 1971. Every single time; we haven't actually owned an AT car since 1972 when we sold the 1964 Dodge. But sometimes, you end up driving things like rentals or company-owned vehicles that do have AT.

...and normal auto isnt made to manually downshift frequently
I have no data either way to suggest that manually downshifting an AT is particularly worse for it than forced downshifts where the downshift decision is made by the hydraulics or electronics. Done clumsily with no throttle blip, manually downshifting probably is harsher. With a blip, less so. You'd need actual fatigue evaluation data to say anything more

Not precisely the same technique involved, since you have to time your blip to the AT's shift timing rather than being able to coordinate and time everything yourself. But you can get pretty damn close to the same end result with a little practice and reduce or eliminate the forward lurch that otherwise occurs from just slamming the shifter down a notch. You have to time the little blip to occur after the tranny has let the friction elements for the higher gear go but before the friction elements for the lower gear have been applied.

Since your timing still matters, there is still some satisfaction to be had when you get it right.

Norm
Old 07-08-2010, 08:51 AM

As most others have said: Take care of your car and drive it the way you want. I take care of my car, warm it up properly and then drive the living hell out of it as I please. My previous max (00 SE 5spd) was taken to redline every single time I drove it for 2 years and never had an issue. Yes wear items wear out, its to be expected.

With my 5.5 I warm it up, use good oil, good gas and I've replaced a lot of the potential wear items in advance...but really, I bought a 6MT to DRIVE and that is exactly what I am going to do. Drive your car ! it pains me to see people spending big bucks on a high HP car to baby it and never actually use what they bought.

Be responsible and enjoy your car !
Old 07-08-2010, 08:52 AM

Flooring a car isn't bad but abusing it to the point where your doing burnouts is abuse. Just roll out lol
Old 07-08-2010, 10:14 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Flooring it is perfectly fine. Holding it at 6500 rpms for an hour, not so much.

Quick Reply: flooring an auto