5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Motor mount replacement.....oh fudge.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 11:54 AM

Motor mount replacement.....oh fudge.

Alright I work as a salesman at Kendrick Nissan in Lafayette, Indiana. My 2002 Maxima SE 6spd has 127,000 miles on it and it has had a bad grinding/growling noise at low RPM's, mainly idle and 1st and 2nd gear where the engine needs to withstand the highest amounts of torque. I let my friend who is a Nissan Certified Technician, here at Kendrick, look at it and found out one of the engine mounts has worn down and gone bad. It was causing the engine to sink low and vibrate against the heat shield. He diagnosed it for free but I'm not exactly sure which motor mount it is. I will be getting back about the exact specifications on the repair but it doesn't seem to be cheap. I'll be asking about any information you guys can help me with. I'm pretty mechanically inclined but I do not have access to a lift. I think I'm just going to pay my friend to do the work but I'm really low on cash considering I'm a college student. I have put a lot into this car already since my dad gave it to me at 120,000 so I want to keep it till around 200,000. I will also start posting all of the Maxima's we currently have on the lot in my signature.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:29 PM

Alright so it turned out to be the front right engine mount part # 11210-2Y00E and 11220 on the Nissan Engine Mount Diagram. Because of my employee connection, my friend the tech will do it for $207.48 including the part. I think I'm just going to go ahead and do it. I just thought I would post this in case anybody else had the same noise.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by mjhuffer
Alright so it turned out to be the front right engine mount part # 11210-2Y00E and 11220 on the Nissan Engine Mount Diagram. Because of my employee connection, my friend the tech will do it for $207.48 including the part. I think I'm just going to go ahead and do it. I just thought I would post this in case anybody else had the same noise.
Thats not a bad price, at all. If you were interested in doing the work yourself, take a look at this thread:
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...-opinions.html
Old 07-07-2010, 01:22 PM

The right engine mount is the pass side. The easiet to do among the 4. And since you are getting the OEM Nissan, you are all set. Some of the aftermarket mounts do not fit specially on the MT. The mount as listed is $95 per Nissan. $110 for labor is very good.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:58 PM

Ya I thought it was a good price. The things I wanted to know, and my friend the tech said no, is if it was labor efficient to replace at least right and the rear mount at the same time. I just have a feeling I'm going to get this done and the other mount will go out and I'm going to pay double for labor. I'm just glad I work at this dealership to get a decent enough discount. I'll be posting some of the Maximas we have on the lot in case anybody around northern Indiana may be looking for one.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:57 PM

Buy all 4 mounts off eBay for $95 shipped. Throw away or resell the tranny mount (automatic version) and you'll have 3 good mounts for the same price as one "discounted" Nissan passenger mount...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-96...Q5fAccessories

They are of same exact quality as OEM Nissan...
Old 07-07-2010, 08:06 PM

What he said. Buy them all for less than the one needed and install them one @ a time when and if needed. Budget plan.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:13 AM

Worked for me, $97 for the set, I have replaced the pass side and will replace the tranny side soon, except that I am keeping the front and rear ones and will probably use down the road.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:31 AM

Ya I talked to my friend the technician about the ebay option and he said that they do not come with a sensor. Is the sensor absolutely necessary and what does it do. I would hate to order these and then they not be the right part. I checked out the ebay option and it says nowhere that it is for the 3.5 V6 put in the 2002 and later. Someone that has ordered these exact ones and has a 2002 or 2003 with the 3.5 V6 please let me know if they work. Thanks.

Last edited by mjhuffer; 07-08-2010 at 11:34 AM.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:57 AM
dot dot dot ...

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...or+mount+mount

I know it's 4th gen, but that thread convinced me that I don't need the electronic version, is I picked up a PUR unit from Cattman.

Besides, you'd be surprised how nearly identical the A32 & A33 are.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:44 PM

Ya I talked to my friend the technician about the ebay option and he said that they do not come with a sensor. Is the sensor absolutely necessary and what does it do. I would hate to order these and then they not be the right part. I checked out the ebay option and it says nowhere that it is for the 3.5 V6 put in the 2002 and later. Someone that has ordered these exact ones and has a 2002 or 2003 with the 3.5 V6 please let me know if they work. Thanks.
There has been several write ups on the replacement of the mounts from electronic to manual (non-electronic). They work.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:20 PM

Uh, tell your friend to get another day job...

...YOU HAVE A MANUAL NOT AN AUTOMATIC.

They DON'T have sensors!!! He should know that!!

Several of us have these in our 6MT and they work fine. Exactly the same mounts (except for the tranny - left side)

Last edited by nismopc; 07-08-2010 at 07:23 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:50 AM

You guys are right

Ya I just looked at the part that I ordered for $100, from the dealership, and it has no electronic sensor on it. They basically put my d*** in a meat grinder and told me it was hamburger. But the amout of money I'm saving on labor is making me feel a little better. 200$ all together for fixing a motor mount isn't bad at all. There is no electronic sensor on the Manual Transmission. I should have bought the package from ebay but now I know the next time one goes out I can just buy that package. Thanks for everybody's help and hopefully this will help somebody down the road. I'll be posting back with the results. My friend the tech is an unbelievable tech and I would trust anything on my car with him but when you get down into something this small in detail, I understand it may be hard for him to know the exact answer. Also techs are trying to make money just like anyone else and considering he diagnosed the problem for free, I don't really mind paying the 100$ for the part. This way it is fully covered by the dealership, both parts and labor.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:54 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

So for a 2003 Maxima SE AT, do I need to have the motor mounts with or without the sensors? I need to replace the front and side. Would it be better to replace all four?
Old 03-16-2013, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by MMart4000
So for a 2003 Maxima SE AT, do I need to have the motor mounts with or without the sensors? I need to replace the front and side. Would it be better to replace all four?
First off, welcome to the Forum and kudos for searching for an answer before posting. While replacing all four mounts certainly won't hurt, you'll usually find only the front and rear mounts usually go bad. There are plenty of other threads already covering this topic but I'll give you the run down.

You don't need the 'sensor' (it's actually an electronic mount that softens at idle/low rpm) in fact the electronic mounts have been known to short out and damage the ECU.

You can use the mounts from the MT Maxima on the front, rear, and right (passenger) side. The left (driver) side mount is AT specific and the MT mount will not fit.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:43 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback on this. Very helpful. I think I'll replace all four since I'd rather not go back in on a later date, especially since I'm not a mechanic and am having this done for me. Ebay is also a great way to go, since my dealership wanted to charge me $500 + just for the parts.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:02 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sorry to bug, but has anyone purchased the motor mounts off of ebay from ABC Marts? Want to make sure they're legit. All four motor mounts for $93.60. It also says that the 95 - 01 Maxima 3.0 engine motor mounts will fit the 03 Maxima 3.5L SE. Any feedback is appreciated.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:39 AM

Never purchased from them specifically but never heard of anyone having ebay problems with motor mounts. Sounds like about the right price and yes the 3.0 mounts are the same.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:11 PM
RR5

I picked up this motor mount set. Then when we installed all 4 and I drove off I discovered I should have left the front (radiator) mount alone as it was the electronically controlled mount that was totally fine. Now the car has noticeable idle engine shake but its not that bad.

Ebay title 02-03 NISSAN MAXIMA 3.5L MOTOR & TRANS MOUNT w/ AT 4PCS - same day fast shipping
Seller information
zamo-zuan

Item location:

Downey, California, United States
Old 03-16-2013, 12:35 PM

I have the ABC mounts. No issues at all. I did all 4 mounts and filled the front and rear with PU. Zipped tied the plugs from the old electric mounts (AT car) out of the way and off I went. Did the work myself at home with no lift, just jack stands. Only took 2 hours tops, just make sure you disconnect your battery so you don't short out the starter when doing the tranny mount. I managed to do this not paying attention.

Originally Posted by RR5
I picked up this motor mount set. Then when we installed all 4 and I drove off I discovered I should have left the front (radiator) mount alone as it was the electronically controlled mount that was totally fine. Now the car has noticeable idle engine shake but its not that bad.
Even with the front and rear filled on mine, the vibration is not that bad. However, the car in my sig has a solid front mount and all other 3 filled and shakes like crazy so my perception may be biased. I actually glued rubber plumbing sheets to all my Maxima mounts and coated them heavily in rubberized undercoating to combat this issue. It's difficult to say if this helps or just satisfies my OCD.

Last edited by 5th gen dd; 03-16-2013 at 12:40 PM.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

motor mount

let me know what you find out because i have the same
issue. 757golfnut
Old 03-17-2013, 09:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Great information! Thanks all for your feedback.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:04 PM

If you have an automatic transmission and you replace the "electronic" motor mount with the solid rubber standard transmission motor mount, you will most likely feel vibration at idle. No way around it that I know of.

The so-called "electronic" mount is really a hydraulic device. Oil is pumped out at idle, making it soft so it absorbs vibration. At 1K rpm, oil is pumped in to make the mount firm like the solid rubber standard trans mounts.