5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Air conditioner went? Or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 12:45 PM

Air conditioner went? Or something else?

Not exactly sure what went. I was driving home today in like 90 degree weather so set the temp to auto 65 degrees. After like 10mins of it being on full blast it just stopped. It still had the lights on like it was the 4th strength but wasnt doing anything and it was clearly not at 65 degrees. Tried it a little while later and I can feel a little cold air coming out but nothing that will have any effect. Any ideas? Did my whole AC blow?
Old 07-15-2010, 01:41 PM

Could def. be the blower motor, hence the decreased output. We'll see if anyone else chimes in though.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If there's no air coming out in all 4 settings, it probably is the blower motor, check all the fuses also first.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by sunysb83
If there's no air coming out in all 4 settings, it probably is the blower motor, check all the fuses also first.
could be the relay also.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:18 PM

well i do deliveries and after one i just hit auto for ****s and giggles.it instantly came on fast and cold but then died soon after like not even a minute later.tried it like 20mins later and same thing cold and fast then nothing.any ideas what so ever?whenit dies it still shows its on high..
Old 07-15-2010, 06:53 PM

I can not figure what is wrong at all. It will come on strong then it dies. Sort of like it has a little power then dies. Any ideas what this could be? It is the fan that just shuts off but still says its on high power
Old 07-15-2010, 08:05 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Blower motor...
Old 07-15-2010, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by threebetyou
I can not figure what is wrong at all. It will come on strong then it dies. Sort of like it has a little power then dies. Any ideas what this could be? It is the fan that just shuts off but still says its on high power
When it 'dies' what is exactly happening: does it still blow air normally but it's not cold or it stops blowing it altogether? Did you notice the engine overheating? I recently had similar experience - my AC started to blow warm air when I was sitting in the traffic. It turned out to be my radiator fans, they both stopped working so it caused AC blowing warm air as well as engine overheating.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:33 PM

sounds like a dying electric motor
Old 07-16-2010, 11:20 AM

check fuse under the hood
I suggest replacing the blower motor too. mine was acting funny and it would turn but also blow fuses. after 3 sets of fuses, my blower motor amplifier fried.
change the blower motor first.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:43 AM

Do you mean the fuses to the left of the steering wheel..? And how much does a blower motor cost to replace? I heard it is hard so will not be doing it...
Originally Posted by jasonmax
check fuse under the hood
I suggest replacing the blower motor too. mine was acting funny and it would turn but also blow fuses. after 3 sets of fuses, my blower motor amplifier fried.
change the blower motor first.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:14 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

The blower motor is an easy swap. Check www.rockauto.com for a new one.
It could also be the auto climate control amplifier, which controls the blower motor.
It's not a fuse as the unit works intermittently now.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:22 PM

are you sure its an easy swap? maybe i am looking at the wrong thing but i was told you would need to take apart the entire dash and would take hours and be difficult. Am I missing the boat here complete?Sorry I am pretty much car illiterate. Have had my mustang for 2years with out one issues and this maxima for a week with 2 issues..Werid
Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
The blower motor is an easy swap. Check www.rockauto.com for a new one.
It could also be the auto climate control amplifier, which controls the blower motor.
It's not a fuse as the unit works intermittently now.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:45 PM

are you sure its an easy swap? maybe i am looking at the wrong thing but i was told you would need to take apart the entire dash and would take hours and be difficult. Am I missing the boat here complete?Sorry I am pretty much car illiterate. Have had my mustang for 2years with out one issues and this maxima for a week with 2 issues..Werid
no you just need to take off the glove box which is a seconds job. both amp and blower motor are under there.
the fuses are under the hood, not next the steering wheel

if its blowing air at other speeds, it might just be the amplifier.

Last edited by jasonmax; 07-16-2010 at 04:47 PM.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:56 PM

Nah i think its the motor. I can not get heat or dehumidifier either, are those all connected to that? When I do like 30mph I can get some heat or ac or something but I think thats just because air is pushing through the car right?. dumb question but is this what is needed? http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...LAMS_613304714___
Originally Posted by jasonmax
no you just need to take off the glove box which is a seconds job. both amp and blower motor are under there.
the fuses are under the hood, not next the steering wheel

if its blowing air at other speeds, it might just be the amplifier.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:57 PM
Demodded and Forgotten

Originally Posted by foodmanry
Blower motor...
this
Old 07-16-2010, 09:30 PM

I'll put my money on the "blower motor resistor" that is located right beside the blower motor on my 03 you can access it right under the glove box (two screws) and just unplug it. Mine has done the same thing just quit when one needs it the most. If all the lights on the display are lite up and the fan speed indicator is showing that it is on high fan I'll bet on the resistor is caput. I had to replace mine just over a year ago when I could get no heat to blow from the motor and thought the same as you that it was the blower motor. I stopped at the dealership he said try the resistor first (he even let me go and plug it in before paying just to make sure) as soon as I plugged it in everything was working just fine. Now for the bending over part as I went in to pay for the part and as I have the digital display of course it was pricey at 141.00 Canadian (OUCH). The dealer said it is a common problem little did I know that here we are about 14 months later and I am looking at having to go and get yet another one.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:35 PM

are you sure its an easy swap? maybe i am looking at the wrong thing but i was told you would need to take apart the entire dash and would take hours and be difficult. Am I missing the boat here complete?
Who told you this? Some repair shop? The only way it would take a couple of hours is if you start the job and then go watch a ball game before you finish it. It could be difficult if you drink a case of beer while watching the ball game.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:35 PM

Alright I am going to have to look at it tomorow..Anyone to check and see which it is besides wasting money on both parts? any clear way to go oh **** its broken
Old 07-17-2010, 10:19 PM

Alright I am going to have to look at it tomorow..Anyone to check and see which it is besides wasting money on both parts? any clear way to go oh **** its broken
Unplug motor connector and apply battery voltage to its pins. If it starts spinning it might be 'resistor' but if it doesn't it's motor itself for sure.