5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Two words I never thought I'd say: Sprint Booster

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 10:02 PM

Two words I never thought I'd say: Sprint Booster

The world is filled with scams. (The "Tornado" is s fine example.) There's always someone willing to sell you something you think you need, however implausible the claims. And as snake oil goes, I always thought the Sprint Booster was one of the more successful scams. I mean, research it even a little bit, and you'd find LOTS of information. It's crazy popular. One is born every minute, eh?

The theory is pretty straightforward: alter the electronic signal between the accelerator pedal and the ECU to front-load the curve. Change the way the your pedal input talks to the ECU, and it will feel like your car is more responsive. There's no change in horsepower (duh), just a small alteration to the gas pedal signal.

For $300, it's certainly not something I'd experiment with. Particularly since the premise seems so trivial. But this weekend, I met with a few other Org members in Canada. One of them (knight_yyz) has been using the Sprint Booster in his Maxima, and swears by it. In fact, he's caught quite a bit of flack about it here on the Org. Anyway, he had an extra one, a sample unit from the area distributor, and almost on a lark, he installed it in my car.

When I drove the car, I immediately recognized a change in how the car responded to the pedal. It felt to me like there was ZERO lag, and the car responded like a bat out of hell. If you could have seen the look on my face... you'd probably laugh out loud.
Is it real? I don't care, it's awesome.

Is the car any faster? I don't care, because it sure feels a lot more responsive.

Is it a scam? Again, I don't care, because Ray can't have it back.
I like to think I've been on the Org long enough to have some reputation for being level-headed. I don't over-react to things, and I take my time with mods. Some would say I take too much time. But this Sprint Booster thing... I would never have tried it on my own if Ray didn't just go ahead and put it in my car. Now that I have it, I'm really happy.

Go ahead, fan boys - flame away. I don't care. This thing is great.

[edited]

This thread might read rather odd. SoonerFan got involved, and we self-moderated deletion of all our direct posts. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited by Rochester; 07-21-2010 at 05:51 PM.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:25 PM

never have even thought of this for a maxima... My friend has an E46 330ci which he had the throttle reprogrammed by dinan:

obviously this is for a bimmer not a max
http://www.dinancars.com/store/produ...cat=412&page=1

He told me that the throttle definately responded alot better after he got it done. I always thought this would be an interesting mod to the max but how would one go about it?
Old 07-17-2010, 10:29 PM

Yeah I was interested in one of his A/T units and I wanted to spent the money on my 3" Cattman catback instead....I was really interested or curious whether or not it would be necessary if you had a TS Reflash, since the reflash makes the throttle operate more linear and full throttle is full throttle not that 60% sh!+...I'm sure it a blast....but is full throttle really full throttle with an OEM ecu? Someone answer that please!
Old 07-17-2010, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester
The world is filled with scams. (The "Tornado" is s fine example.) There's always someone willing to sell you something you think you need, however implausible the claims. And as snake oil goes, I always thought the Sprint Booster was one of the more successful scams. I mean, research it even a little bit, and you'd find LOTS of information. It's crazy popular. One is born every minute, eh?

The theory is pretty straightforward: alter the electronic signal between the accelerator pedal and the ECU to front-load the curve. Change the way the your pedal input talks to the ECU, and it will feel like your car is more responsive. There's no change in horsepower (duh), just a small alteration to the gas pedal signal.

For $300, it's certainly not something I'd experiment with. Particularly since the premise seems so trivial. But this weekend, I met with a few other Org members in Canada. One of them (knight_yyz) has been using the Sprint Booster in his Maxima, and swears by it. In fact, he's caught quite a bit of flack about it here on the Org. Anyway, he had an extra one, a sample unit from the area distributor, and almost on a lark, he installed it in my car.

When I drove the car, I immediately recognized a change in how the car responded to the pedal. There was ZERO lag, and the thing took off like a bat out of hell. If you could have seen the look on my face... you'd probably laugh out loud.
Is it real? I don't care, it's awesome.

Is the car any faster? I don't care, because it feels a lot more responsive.

Is it a scam? I really don't care, because Ray can't have it back. I love this thing.
I think I've been on the Org long enough to have some reputation for being level-headed. I don't over-react to things, and I take my time with mods. This Sprint Booster thing... I would never have tried it on my own if Ray didn't just go ahead and put it in my car. Now that I have it, I'm happy.

Go ahead, fan boys - flame away. I don't care. This thing is great.
I'm just wondering what was wrong with just flooring the car all the time? From what I gathered this thing simply fools ECU into thinking that your accelerator pedal is more to the floor than it actually is. It will definitely create impression of 'more responsive' car as less gas pedal travel is required now for the same effect but it doesn't change a thing in the actual performance of the car. It also must saturate the signal earlier than normal so your 'floor' became closer so to speak.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by CMax03
Yeah I was interested in one of his A/T units and I wanted to spent the money on my 3" Cattman catback instead....I was really interested or curious whether or not it would be necessary if you had a TS Reflash, since the reflash makes the throttle operate more linear and full throttle is full throttle not that 60% sh!+...I'm sure it a blast....but is full throttle really full throttle with an OEM ecu? Someone answer that please!
+1. I've always wondered about that. It must be really tempting for manufacturers to make WOT = ~80% throttle. That would net them an increase in MPG ratings for free basically.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:10 AM

That **** about the throttle plate closing as the RPM's increase is just that, BS. I have my VAFC-II hooked up to my TPS sensor, and that shows 94-100% all the way from 1000RPM to redline. When you datalog the throttle position from the OBD port, it shows it closing, but this is not the case, as proven by my actual TPS readings.

As far as the sprint booster, everyone is entitled to their opinion and I appreciate your review. Be careful with your wording though, as it is physcally impossible for this to reduce "lag" (how long it takes for the ECU to react to changes in the accelerator pedal). This only makes the pedal more sensitive, giving the FEELING of reduced lag.

If you like the feel of this, more power to you, but please post back in a month or so, when you have had a chance to get used to the new pedal sensitivity. I have a feeling that you will adjust to it and will eventually forget that it's there.

Originally Posted by Z-Powered
+1. I've always wondered about that. It must be really tempting for manufacturers to make WOT = ~80% throttle. That would net them an increase in MPG ratings for free basically.
It would not change the MPG ratings. Full throttle is not calculated into MPG estimates. Also, this would cause them to reduce their HP ratings.

And btw, my OBD-II scan tool shows around 80% throttle when I am flooring it, but my actual TPS shows 100%. This is something with Nissan ECU's, as my buddy's 350z is the same way.

Last edited by Unklejoe; 07-18-2010 at 12:12 AM.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:34 AM

The unit that was installed was for the Automatic 5.5 Maxima, although my car is a 6MT. According to Ray, the AT unit is less "aggressive" than the MT. Since I was getting such a deal on the cost, and liked it so much, the AT unit was fine by be.

To speak to your point about the TS Flash... another member at this meet-up (MaximusTI) has a 2003 SE TE 6MT modified with Cattman headers, 3" Cattman catback, phenolic spacers and the full TS flash. We put it in his car, and his analysis on the changes were minimal. Since perception is personal, we'll take that at face value. It's certainly possible that the TS flash somewhat negates the Sprint Booster alterations.

But on my car... man, this thing is fun to drive with.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:47 AM

I wonder if this would help negate the " feeling" of low end loss by some mods, for example the ssim.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Unklejoe
As far as the sprint booster, everyone is entitled to their opinion and I appreciate your review. Be careful with your wording though, as it is physcally impossible for this to reduce "lag" (how long it takes for the ECU to react to changes in the accelerator pedal). This only makes the pedal more sensitive, giving the FEELING of reduced lag.

If you like the feel of this, more power to you, but please post back in a month or so, when you have had a chance to get used to the new pedal sensitivity. I have a feeling that you will adjust to it and will eventually forget that it's there.
Thank you, Unklejoe. I appreciate the respect, and was hoping I've cultivated enough cred on the Org over the last few years to not have this opinion dismissed out of hand.

I understand that it's impossible to reduce lag, but don't know how else to describe the situation. Maybe we need better words.

You are absolutely correct that I will adjust my perception over time so that the new behavior becomes the new normal. That occurs with every mod.

I remember when I had the ES bushings installed in my engine torque mounts, and the way it transformed the way the driver connects to the car. One of the best mods ever... and not a stitch of HP gain. That feeling 2x when I installed the NWP Torque Link. In a somewhat similar way, this Sprint Booster thing messes with your perception, and does so in a way that makes the car significantly more enjoyable to drive. As driving enthusiasts, that's what it's all about. Perception is the whole game.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:42 AM

I wonder how this differs from the Venom control module....seems to do the same type of electronic trickery but at certain % throttle position and you can turn it on and off.......

Rochester....I'm glad you are enjoying the addition....however, I do hope you plan on keeping it in....because as perception is a two way street.....if you get used to this increased sensitivity....which is all that it is.....(unless there is a microturbocharger in that unit that is secretly forcing 5psi of boost)...then when and if you take it out.....your car will feel much LESS responsive and then you will be like WTF is going on until you get used to it again....

as always my $0.02.........
Old 07-18-2010, 07:50 AM

Hmmmmmm.... cot my interest.... somebody test this on the track
Old 07-18-2010, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by 2 GO B4
Rochester....I'm glad you are enjoying the addition....however, I do hope you plan on keeping it in....because as perception is a two way street.....if you get used to this increased sensitivity....which is all that it is.....(unless there is a microturbocharger in that unit that is secretly forcing 5psi of boost)...then when and if you take it out.....your car will feel much LESS responsive and then you will be like WTF is going on until you get used to it again....

as always my $0.02.........
Your $0.02 is appreciated, B4.

I'm planning on disconnecting the NWP Torque Link and the Sprint Booster come Winter, when the steelies and snows go on the car. No sense driving aggressively with snow tread in the Winter.

And that gives me something to look forward to in the Spring.

In the meantime, "Sprint Booster" goes in my Sig. (Brave move perhaps, inviting ridicule, but I'm not hiding anything. This little device totally surprised me, and made my day.)

Left to right: Ghost_54, Rochester, MaximusTI and Knight_yyz.

All are 2003 SE models. Three are Titanium Editions. Three are 6MT's. All are very respectable.

It was a good meet-up.

Last edited by Rochester; 07-18-2010 at 09:12 AM.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:45 AM

its interesting reading these posts as these same reaction and responses are similar to a thread started in the Infiniti M forums awhile back about the sprint booster installed in the M's and everyone seemed to love it. interesting thread.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:47 AM
Toolie

My $0.02... It is very hard to describe how this little unit transforms the car. Every one keeps saying there is no throttle lag, and it is impossible to reduce throttle lag. But everyone who has tried the sprint booster in their car has wanted one. Not everyone has gone out and bought one. I agree the retail price is a bit silly.

I wish I knew how to put into words how this thing feels on your car. But I can't. I've tried and been flamed numerous times. But, if you are interested, go to your local performance shop and ask them to try one out. It takes literally 2 minutes to install, and 2 minutes to take it out. There is no obligation to buy it. But the performance shops that sell them are obligated to give you a free trial.
http://www.sprintboosterusa.com/t-dealers.aspx
Old 07-18-2010, 09:52 AM

Ray, I'm publicly thanking you for doing this. I never would have pursued this on my own because of the cost, and the stigma, and the struggle with conventional wisdom.

Hard to put into words indeed. Thank you.

My drive home last night was crazy fun.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:07 AM

Kind of OT, but do you drive with your NWP Torque link on all the time Rochester? Is it too harsh? I am debating on buying one...
Old 07-18-2010, 11:15 AM
Toolie

If I had a camcorder to catch the look on your face when you stepped out of the car... It was priceless. LOL
Old 07-18-2010, 11:26 AM

Kind of OT, but do you drive with your NWP Torque link on all the time Rochester? Is it too harsh? I am debating on buying one...
All the time, yes. I configured it to where it's locked down tight with the engine at rest, without the full weight of the engine on the Torque Link 24/7. I personally don't find it too harsh, but then again, I think the ES Torque Mount bushings is just about my favorite mod, so...

Anyway, it's an amazingly simple, transformative mod.

There's genius in seeing the simple solutions. Aaron Kimball nailed this one.

Last edited by Rochester; 07-18-2010 at 11:31 AM.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
Hmmmmmm.... cot my interest.... somebody test this on the track

Hustle....did you fix your car....was it the alternator or TPS?
Old 07-18-2010, 12:29 PM

Hustle....did you fix your car....was it the alternator or TPS?
What the...? Seriously?

B4, how's your mom doing? Read any good books lately? Does the dog still have worms? C'mon, let's just talk.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:40 PM

What the...? Seriously?

B4, how's your mom doing? Read any good books lately? Does the dog still have worms? C'mon, let's just talk.
Rochester....since you asked.....my mother passed away a few years ago (i am not taking it personal...you didn't know)....no I haven't read any good books lately....I don't have any dogs (and thus can't comment on any dogworms)......and as far as just talking.....well...you seemed to have spoken for both of us.....

Seriously...I wouldn't of posted to hustle if he wasn't inquiring about the sprint AS he has a concurrent thread posting about his car problems...thought he figured it out and was onto the next mod.....

Finally....yes...my bad for deviating from the topic of the thread....BUT.....had I thought you would have been that offended....I would not have bothered.......YOU, of course, didn't have to be so malicious about it and call it out like that....Thanks!
Old 07-18-2010, 01:52 PM

Intent is always subject to misinterpretation. It's a written medium.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:54 PM

Intent is always subject to misinterpretation. It's a written medium.

Old 07-18-2010, 01:58 PM

Old 07-18-2010, 02:19 PM

YOU, of course, didn't have to be so malicious about it and call it out like that....Thanks!

I lol'd @ "so malicious".
Old 07-18-2010, 03:12 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

I wonder if the effect is similar to when I switched from a Carter 625 carb to a Holley 650 double pumper. The improvement in throttle response was very noticeable-but then again there was a definite increase in horsepower too, picked up 4 mph in trap speed. The Carter 625 didn't feel sluggish until I put the Holley on.
Old 07-18-2010, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Scottwax
I wonder if the effect is similar to when I switched from a Carter 625 carb to a Holley 650 double pumper. The improvement in throttle response was very noticeable-but then again there was a definite increase in horsepower too, picked up 4 mph in trap speed. The Carter 625 didn't feel sluggish until I put the Holley on.
similar in the throttle response aspect, sure. similar in the HP aspect, no.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:36 PM

If the Sprint Booster can tell the ECU that the gas pedal is being depressed faster than you can actually depress it, and these fractions of a second translate into something that is perceptible once the engine responds...

I really don't know. I can readily testify for the end result (in my car), but it's all guesswork how it happens.

If there's a retailer near you, and you truly can "test drive" one of these things, there's nothing to lose is seeing whether or not it applies to you and your car. I'm just glad Ray went ahead and forced it on me.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:38 PM

Rochester....since you asked.....my mother passed away a few years ago (i am not taking it personal...you didn't know)....
I apologize for being insensitive to your loss. There's an unwritten rule that mothers are off-limits, and I crossed that line.

Malicious? No. Just bad taste.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:02 PM

I apologize for being insensitive to your loss. There's an unwritten rule that mothers are off-limits, and I crossed that line.

Malicious? No. Just bad taste.
Rochester....no hard feelings......as I said before you didn't know......thank you for the post....I appreciate it.....
Old 07-18-2010, 06:20 PM

If the Sprint Booster can tell the ECU that the gas pedal is being depressed faster than you can actually depress it, and these fractions of a second translate into something that is perceptible once the engine responds...
if you look at their chart, 100% throttle happens at the same level of input, so it gets you to 100% throttle at the same time
Old 07-18-2010, 07:21 PM

That **** about the throttle plate closing as the RPM's increase is just that, BS. I have my VAFC-II hooked up to my TPS sensor, and that shows 94-100% all the way from 1000RPM to redline. When you datalog the throttle position from the OBD port, it shows it closing, but this is not the case, as proven by my actual TPS readings.

It would not change the MPG ratings. Full throttle is not calculated into MPG estimates. Also, this would cause them to reduce their HP ratings.

And btw, my OBD-II scan tool shows around 80% throttle when I am flooring it, but my actual TPS shows 100%. This is something with Nissan ECU's, as my buddy's 350z is the same way.
This ^^^^.

Is it real?
Yes, it physically exists.

Is the car any faster?
Absolutely not.

Is it a scam?
Pretty much; it's the illusion of performance.

Originally Posted by 5 ltr. beater
its interesting reading these posts as these same reaction and responses are similar to a thread started in the Infiniti M forums awhile back about the sprint booster installed in the M's and everyone seemed to love it. interesting thread.
The Sprint Booster's down side (increased accelerator pedal sensitivity) is likely less noticeable with an automatic transmission therefore truncating responses to positive. In manual transmission applications there is greater potential for negative responses as the down side is more apparent; mine is detailed in the other 5th gen sprint booster thread: http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...-response.html.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:58 PM

Rochester was out for a test drive in my car when we came back to Ray putting the SB in his car and I can totally testify for his reaction. It WAS priceless...So much so that I wanted to try it.

However, in my car I did not notice a tangible change. Being that my car does have an F-Spec TS Flash that may have been the reason I did not have the same reaction as John, but it was clear that he definately noticed a change in his car. Having met him in person he doesn't seem the type to exaggerate.

I am up for test driving the newer more aggressive 6MT version to see if it makes a more significant change in my car.

John is right, it is all about perception in this game.

+1 on a good meet
Old 07-18-2010, 08:14 PM

It really affected throttle response in such a way that you purchased a unit? and what did you pay if you don't mind telling.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:31 PM

Excellent review, I'd buy the TS F-spec flash though in spite of the higher price.

Last edited by MoncefA33; 07-18-2010 at 08:32 PM. Reason: incoherent sentence, y00
Old 07-18-2010, 10:02 PM
Demodded and Forgotten

Your $0.02 is appreciated, B4.

I'm planning on disconnecting the NWP Torque Link and the Sprint Booster come Winter, when the steelies and snows go on the car. No sense driving aggressively with snow tread in the Winter.

And that gives me something to look forward to in the Spring.

In the meantime, "Sprint Booster" goes in my Sig. (Brave move perhaps, inviting ridicule, but I'm not hiding anything. This little device totally surprised me, and made my day.)

Left to right: Ghost_54, Rochester, MaximusTI and Knight_yyz.

All are 2003 SE models. Three are Titanium Editions. Three are 6MT's. All are very respectable.

It was a good meet-up.

That is a great line-up.

Now John, mail me that Booster so I can try it.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:58 AM

Is it a scam?
Originally Posted by 2slow
Pretty much; it's the illusion of performance.
You know I respect your opinion, 2slow. A whole lot, actually. However, I already answered my "Is it a scam?" question with:
"I really don't care, because Ray can't have it back. I love this thing."
According to knight_yyz, retailers are obligated to let you try before you buy. Have you tried it yet?

All that aside, what's wrong with the illusion of performance? By my way of thinking, it's all about the driving experience. I'll prioritize having fun over measured speed any day. Quarter mile times are irrelevant. Enjoying the acceleration experience and the connection between car and driver... that's what matters. (That's why I drive a 6MT.)
Old 07-19-2010, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by perkman87
It really affected throttle response in such a way that you purchased a unit? and what did you pay if you don't mind telling.
It's $300 here. knight_yyz had an old sample unit like this for the 2002-2003 AT Maxima, and that's the one he sold me at half-price. It seems if you look at the main Sprint Booster website, their current design has a 3-way switch: off, on, and aggressive. And that one is going for $330.

Honestly, if that deal weren't right there in my hands... based on my experience with it, I believe I would have saved a little money and bought it new, for $330.

Seriously. It's just that much fun. For me. With my car configured the way it is.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:13 AM

$300? you kidding? I just step down the pedal a bit further.
what its doing is just turning into a linear throttle body opening into a progressive opening, making the throttle body opens faster than the stock.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by jasonmax
I just step down the pedal a bit further.
You would think that's all you'd have to do to achieve the same results.

You'd be wrong, but I can see why you'd think that.

How quickly we forget the lessons of "Green Eggs & Ham".

Quick Reply: Two words I never thought I'd say: Sprint Booster