5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

What is this?(under passanger side)

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 02:08 PM

What is this?(under passanger side)

Trying to get the blower motor to work and this was what we believe was making it not work.What is it? does it have to be bought at nissan? Went to advance auto and they thought it was a resistor but did not have the part. Would this stop the fan from blowing AC, Heat and the defroster?

Old 07-18-2010, 02:14 PM

Looks like a blower resistor to me.

Does the fan work on high?
Old 07-18-2010, 02:21 PM

that s a blower motor resistor;;;i had to replece mine a yr ago..
Old 07-18-2010, 07:33 PM

Are you sure? I checked at advance auto and they told me that a blower motor resistor looks different then that..showed me what they had what was listed on it..Do I have to go to nissan for it? And my blower doesnt blow at all would this cause it? When i took it out i connected it to a battery and it did blow though so i think its good
Old 07-19-2010, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by threebetyou
Are you sure? I checked at advance auto and they told me that a blower motor resistor looks different then that..
How could they know what a part looks like that they don't stock?

Manual or automatic climate controls?
Old 07-19-2010, 05:04 AM

Trying to get the blower motor to work and this was what we believe was making it not work.What is it? does it have to be bought at nissan? Went to advance auto and they thought it was a resistor but did not have the part. Would this stop the fan from blowing AC, Heat and the defroster?

It is the Blower Motor Resistor and yes when it stops functioning you will get NO Fan activity, I notice that you have the digital automatic display so you will find replacement to be quit pricey (up here in Canada that piece at the dealership is 141.00) and the one for the manual display is listed for 57.00.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:49 AM

back in the day i had a 94 hatchback vw GTI.the blower on that one was manual and it was only working on number 3(out if 1 and 2).so number 3 was basically a direct 12 volt current.and 1 and 2 was coming out of a motor resistor.botom line..ur motor resistor doesnt work.since is not not a manual switch,u wont get nothing at all.best advice.go to a junk yard and put one in ur pocket..save money live better
Old 07-19-2010, 08:26 AM
Get Off My Lawn

Originally Posted by UniqueMax
best advice.go to a junk yard and put one in ur pocket..save money live better
Old 07-19-2010, 09:02 AM

Well even the scrap yards have started to collect this part when they strip down the cars, (used to be they would only pull the blower motor) but they are now pulling this part and charging 75.00
Old 07-19-2010, 11:47 AM

alright i went to a junkyard they only had a 99 so i tried that and it worked.about 10mins down the road it no longer works..its the same part and now has the same issues as the last one.what is wrong with this?could it be the blower motor is bad and making the resistor go everm though when connected to a battery it spun fine
Old 07-19-2010, 12:55 PM

anyone have any ideas besides replace with a new blower when mine seems to work? I went back to the junkyard, it has like 1k+ cars..1 maxima 00+ and was already missing the blower resistor and motor. I grabbed one from a 99 because they looked the same
Old 07-19-2010, 05:23 PM

when my blower went, it took the blower motor amplifier with it, especially at low speed settings, the amp makes a lot of heat if the blower is draining more than normal current.
if your amp is toast, theres a chance that the blower motor is going as well. it may turn when you hook up to the battery directly, but its out of spec already.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:38 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by UniqueMax
.go to a junk yard and put one in ur pocket..save money live better
you "live better" by stealing?
Old 07-19-2010, 06:24 PM

anyone have any ideas besides replace with a new blower when mine seems to work? I went back to the junkyard, it has like 1k+ cars..1 maxima 00+ and was already missing the blower resistor and motor. I grabbed one from a 99 because they looked the same
Remember there are two types of resistors one for the auto digital display which from your pic's is what you have and then there is the manual unit which has the slide controls from red to blue to indicated temp desired. If you took one from a 99 and possible from a manual display I can understand why it would fail in short order. I believe you can only use the 02-03 and possibly the 04 resistor module.

Last edited by Ghost_54; 07-19-2010 at 07:30 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:27 PM

what do you mean jason?is this an amplifier or a reistor?why did the one i pulled from the junkyard work now doesnt too? what is the aplified where is it?right now i have 2 resitors,2 motors and still nothing. what else to check?i found a relay im replacing too
Old 07-19-2010, 06:30 PM

ththe one i pulled from the 99 looked the exact same.i am not 100% sure it was a 99. said 99 written on it but the fenders and rear end were gone so i still thought it was a 99
Old 07-19-2010, 07:22 PM

what do you mean jason?is this an amplifier or a reistor?why did the one i pulled from the junkyard work now doesnt too? what is the aplified where is it?right now i have 2 resitors,2 motors and still nothing. what else to check?i found a relay im replacing too
if you have auto A/C, then you have a blower motor amplifier since it uses signals to control the speed of the blower motor
if you have manual A/C, you have blower motor resistor

they cant be swapped.

I think 99 uses different A/C control, so the amplifier would be different

have you checked the fuses under the hood?
Old 07-19-2010, 07:34 PM

I have checked every fuse under the hood and they all are fine. So is the thing I have in the picture a blower amplifier? I have the auto blower I think. Just set the temp it does the rest.
The one from mthe "99" was the exact same thing as picture above just had a few digits different at the end. The blower motor i took out of the car was the exact same thing as the one in mine besides a few numbers at the end too. So maybe the car was a 00-03. If this is not the amplifier what is? Could the relay be screwing them all up? Heres Exactly what has happened so far and please tell me im screwing something up or missing something...sorry for long repititive post just going on vacation need it fixed soon.

AC fan just shut off while on high coming home last week. I tried it a few hours later it came on fine then died again.. My gfs dad tested all fuses not one issue. He made sure power was going to the motor and it was. He took the motor out and tested it on a battery and it spun no issues. So it was left with the part pictured above. I went to the junkyard ripped one out and it worked fine. All 4settings, even heat, defroster, AC. 10mins later the fan stopped spining again. Went back to the junkyard and got the blower motor from the same car, plug it in and nothing. Now i am trying replacing the relay that is right inside when you take off the dash. Could this be the issue? What else could it be? Could I need a new part pictured above with the new blower motor I got? Thanks sorry for long post just feel ive tried everything
Originally Posted by jasonmax
if you have auto A/C, then you have a blower motor amplifier since it uses signals to control the speed of the blower motor
if you have manual A/C, you have blower motor resistor

they cant be swapped.

I think 99 uses different A/C control, so the amplifier would be different

have you checked the fuses under the hood?
Old 07-19-2010, 07:37 PM

I have checked every fuse under the hood and they all are fine. So is the thing I have in the picture a blower amplifier? I have the auto blower I think. Just set the temp it does the rest.
The one from mthe "99" was the exact same thing as picture above just had a few digits different at the end. The blower motor i took out of the car was the exact same thing as the one in mine besides a few numbers at the end too. So maybe the car was a 00-03. If this is not the amplifier what is? Could the relay be screwing them all up? Heres Exactly what has happened so far and please tell me im screwing something up or missing something...sorry for long repititive post just going on vacation need it fixed soon.

AC fan just shut off while on high coming home last week. I tried it a few hours later it came on fine then died again.. My gfs dad tested all fuses not one issue. He made sure power was going to the motor and it was. He took the motor out and tested it on a battery and it spun no issues. So it was left with the part pictured above. I went to the junkyard ripped one out and it worked fine. All 4settings, even heat, defroster, AC. 10mins later the fan stopped spining again. Went back to the junkyard and got the blower motor from the same car, plug it in and nothing. Now i am trying replacing the relay that is right inside when you take off the dash. Could this be the issue? What else could it be? Could I need a new part pictured above with the new blower motor I got? Thanks sorry for long post just feel ive tried everything
you probably blew the second amplifier with your first blower motor.
like I said, the blower motor would spin if you connect to the battery, but its out of spec already at low and medium speed and thats when the amplifier is working the hardest.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:40 PM

Okay so pretty much I need to get a new amplifier(the thing pictured above, that is an amplifier right? The junk yard said resistor). Figures they had 2 maximas, one was missing the part, and the other I took the part for $5 and blew it... Could it be anything else?No chance its the relay?
you probably blew the second amplifier with your first blower motor.
like I said, the blower motor would spin if you connect to the battery, but its out of spec already at low and medium speed and thats when the amplifier is working the hardest.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:03 PM

Okay so pretty much I need to get a new amplifier(the thing pictured above, that is an amplifier right? The junk yard said resistor). Figures they had 2 maximas, one was missing the part, and the other I took the part for $5 and blew it... Could it be anything else?No chance its the relay?
I dont think theres even a relay for the blower motor.
I suggest you get a new blower motor.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:10 PM

I did.. Should I get a new resistor for the new blower motor since the old one may have fried the new one I got? or should i buy a completely new blower motor? The one I got from the junkyard seemed fine and only $20

I dont think theres even a relay for the blower motor.
I suggest you get a new blower motor.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:20 PM

I did.. Should I get a new resistor for the new blower motor since the old one may have fried the new one I got? or should i buy a completely new blower motor? The one I got from the junkyard seemed fine and only $20
doesnt hurt to try another resistor with the new blower motor you got.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:00 PM

Make sure that you are testing for the blower operation in Manual mode. In Auto mode it may not operate depending on conditions. That is the fan control amplifier in the photo, but there is also the auto amplifier as well. This system ain't simple. Have you checked fuse 51 and fuse 52 (both 15 amp)? The FSM would be really useful.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:47 AM

are you guys sure its a blower motor amplifier?I called 3 junkyards and they all told me there is no such thing..
and p samson what about this auto amplfiier? Where is it? nothing comes on even non auto so doubt its that
Old 07-20-2010, 01:46 PM

There is a fan control amplifier.......that's what is in the photo. There is also a blower motor relay which is located in the area of the top right corner of the glove box to the right of the blower motor. This relay could very likely be the problem. The auto amp is the control unit in the center stack on a car with standard Auto AC. With Nav the auto amp is under the blower motor relay.

Last edited by P. Samson; 07-20-2010 at 01:50 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:48 PM

ii replaced the relay and still not turning over.wen i turn the car on i can ffeel the motor getting powe r **** turns very slighty but still wwont work..im gonna get a new one of whats in the picture abovve.ill try that with the new relay and blower maybe it will be cured i doubt it though..
Old 07-22-2010, 07:52 AM

So far so good with the new fix! Still not confident but it made it like 30mins on high and didnt blow yet. I replaced the relay, a different blower motor, 2 new fuses even though they were fine, and another amplifier from the junkyard.. Worked so hopefully doesnt blow. Thanks everyone for help