5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Audiophiles ... Need your Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2001, 04:35 PM

Audiophiles ... Need your Help

I recently purchased a MP3 player.

The Car Kit isn't good enough ... the sound quality is not as good as I hoped.

Is there any way to hook the MP3 player to the Bose Deck??

Does the Bose deck have a AUXILARY IN???

If it does ... I'm thinking of drawing a cable out to the Coin Holder area where I can have a Plug for Line in.

Does this make any sense to any of you???

Thanks in advance.

Eric
Old 12-13-2001, 06:13 PM

What is the MP3 car kit like?

I remember portable CD car kits being fake tapes that went into the tape player. I have no idea what the quality is (was) like.

You should be able to finagle some sort of hookup using the input for the CD changer hookup. There may be some distortion if you have to crank the MP3 player ot the head to get a decent volume. You would be going from either the headphone out or line out (preferably) of the MP3 player.

Another possibility is using the phone hookup. There is supposedly a cell phone hookup behind there. Obviously there is more than just a left, right and ground. There is a circuit that the phone should close when a call comes in to mute the stereo. I don't know if the phone earpeice is supposed to come out the car speakers or if the car kit only mutes the stereo while a call is in progress.

It's probably doable if you have a bit of patience and preferably the schematics.

Bert, 2K Pearle SE
Speed kills, save lives, drive an Acura!
Old 12-13-2001, 11:15 PM

Dunno if this'll help... but here we go...

You can also get those FM modulator thingees... will only sound as good as any other FM station comin' outta your bose deck. Hardwiring it will sound better though...

Someone else is trying to figure out aux in... was it you?

Peace,
bp
Old 12-14-2001, 09:50 AM

my 2 cents

First of all, MP3's aren't as good as CD's even if they are played straight through the stereo. An MP3 has a very high compression. I don't think there's really anything you can do about it either...the input plug in the back of the Bose is a custom plug. I saw a thread somewhere on someone who had been screwing with that and figuring out which pins did what, and I think he got it to work. But it's gonna take some ghetto-rigging to get it done. Bottom line is there's no way to get true CD-quality out of mp3's. I'm just waiting for the car stereo that plays DVD-audio. That is the shizzle...
Old 12-14-2001, 10:03 AM
Banned

Re: my 2 cents

Originally posted by hawkdog
[B]An MP3 has a very high compression.[B]
mp3 is compressed, but the amount of compression can be set (when ripping yourself). high compression = small file, poor audio qualities. low compression = larger file, very good audio qualities (cd comparable). and cd is hardly the peak of audio reproduction. sacd, dvd-a is better.
Old 12-14-2001, 04:52 PM

Well the Car Kit IS the Fake Tape thingy! hehe

And MP3 ain't THAT bad quality ... it sure beats burning CD's ... I can't stand waiting.

This is much more Versitle ...

BUt Having an AUX in would help a lot I guess!