5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

What do you do to make your engine look pretty? :)

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Rochester
Why do people put plastic, corrugated wire loom over rubber hoses?
Because we are less civilized than you ROC.....
Old 03-20-2012, 06:12 AM

ranmas2004, that sure is a pretty UIM. I'm thinking it all comes together better with the engine cover on.

Here's a tip: get some black POR 15 and a simple paint brush, then touch up the transmission mount.

Have you notice there's a pretty blue fender washer on the headlight housing tabs, but right next to it there's a hunk of rust on the bumper tie-down? That's quite the contrast you've got going on.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:43 AM

ranmas2004, that sure is a pretty UIM. I'm thinking it all comes together better with the engine cover on.

Here's a tip: get some black POR 15 and a simple paint brush, then touch up the transmission mount.

Have you notice there's a pretty blue fender washer on the headlight housing tabs, but right next to it there's a hunk of rust on the bumper tie-down? That's quite the contrast you've got going on.
yeh man.....I got alot of work to do yet on that engine bay. I seen that rust spot and I was planning on taking care of that. The installer put the new radiator mounts in but I wanted to paint them first, so now I have to take them back off. Its all good. Also what you cant see on the right is the RUSTED out hood sensor mount....its TERRIBLE. I just bought a new one and its going to get powdercoated as well! Lots of work........

What the hell is POR 15?
Old 03-20-2012, 06:47 AM

Looks good. If you need to change your valve covers and gaskets then use the blue rtv, it'll match your scheme nicely.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:11 AM

ShocknAwe, I painted my UIM in an almost stock color. I will post some later (will have to find the pre-install pics)
Old 03-20-2012, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by 02whitemaximase
Looks good. If you need to change your valve covers and gaskets then use the blue rtv, it'll match your scheme nicely.
they already are new. Blue RTV? I thought that stuff was not supposed to show? If is shows doesn't that mean you used too much if it oozes out the side?
Old 03-20-2012, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by ranmas2004
yeh man.....I got alot of work to do yet on that engine bay. I seen that rust spot and I was planning on taking care of that. The installer put the new radiator mounts in but I wanted to paint them first, so now I have to take them back off. Its all good. Also what you cant see on the right is the RUSTED out hood sensor mount....its TERRIBLE. I just bought a new one and its going to get powdercoated as well! Lots of work........

What the hell is POR 15?
Google POR 15. Also Google Chassis Saver... same stuff.

There were a number of posts here in this thread about radiator brakets/tie-downs. They are extremely inexpensive new. Buy a couple from your local NISSAN dealership and have them powdercoated as well. Get some titanium M6 flange nuts, or a pair of SS acorn nuts w/ss washers would look good, too. (Google "acorn nut" if you're not familiar with that term.)

The open-hood sensor is kind of pricey, but since you bought one, kewl. However, IDK how you're going to powdercoat it, because you need to separate the plastic from the hardware, and I don't see any way to do that without breaking it.

OAN, no one is going to arrest you if you remove those yellow stickers.

Here's a pic to give you some ideas. Titanium M6 flange nuts, a titanium washer on the radiator tie-down, and a SS rubber-backed washer on the bumper tie-down. The Radiator tie-down is powdercoated in black-chrome. The headlight assembly is secured with a JDM fender washer and a M6x15 stainless steel countersunk bolt. And there are silver hole caps on the holes across that beam.

Last edited by Rochester; 03-20-2012 at 07:34 AM.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by tigersharkdude
ShocknAwe, I painted my UIM in an almost stock color. I will post some later (will have to find the pre-install pics)
In for pics fosho. I like my UIM the way it is because I have spent hours cleaning it and hours keeping it clean so I want to clean it good 1 more time and them clear it with a few coats to seal in the shine. Either that or a flat black. Im not one for bright colors. Are you using a ceramic paint? I know it says it can withstand engine temps but I painted my stock snorkle when I had it black and grant it, I didnt primer it, but it flaked after a month. If I have to prime it then its pointless but the UIM is pretty rough as is so it should stick fairly good
Old 03-20-2012, 10:52 AM

Im not too fond of the Reservoirs either ONLY because if you cover them you wont be able to see the fluid levels if it gets low. they look nice, but I think I'll leave them as is in my car.
I think the reservoirs hide themselves, for the most part, putting sweatbands ont hem only draw attention to them.

Why do people put plastic, corrugated wire loom over rubber hoses?
And this.... I've NEVER understood this! This goes hand in hand with my above comment, wires are kind of an expected thing in the engine bay, alongside reservoirs, while they may not look great, they're kind of overlooked. When you put big flashy blue loom and red sweatbands on them though, that's ALL YOU SEE. Why, why? WHY? do you want to draw attention to your not-so-appealing components? I should think the idea would be quite the opposite, if you're going for looks.

Expecially for you Ranmas, with that beautiful blue IM, but all I can look at in that pic is blue lines going all over the place with no rhyme or reason. The Powersteering/coolant lines, etc over on the Passenger side look good in blue, because they have a nice smooth flow line, and are routed with purpose, following the lines of the engine bay. The other lines though, look like you had some loom left over and just felt compelled to use it. Pull a few off, especially over around the battery and brake reservoir side, for what it takes, and re-evaluate, I'd bet you'll leave them off.

And when all you need to do to make a very nice engine bay out of that, is to remove a few pieces of loom? Kind of a no brainer, at least, for me.

Something to think about, just from another's perspective, as 4 eyes are better than 2.

(unless 2 of those 4 eyes have no taste of course)

Last edited by TunerMaxima3000; 03-20-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:01 AM
Got Retrofit?

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
I think the reservoirs hide themselves, for the most part, putting sweatbands ont hem only draw attention to them
If my resovoirs were that clean there'd be no sweatbands lol The 5.5 gen is staying sweatband-less.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
In for pics fosho. I like my UIM the way it is because I have spent hours cleaning it and hours keeping it clean so I want to clean it good 1 more time and them clear it with a few coats to seal in the shine. Either that or a flat black. Im not one for bright colors. Are you using a ceramic paint? I know it says it can withstand engine temps but I painted my stock snorkle when I had it black and grant it, I didnt primer it, but it flaked after a month. If I have to prime it then its pointless but the UIM is pretty rough as is so it should stick fairly good
ask and ye shall receive

there is an engine primer base coat, then some "aluminum" engine enamel and engine clear. All the stages were wet sanded with 2000 grit to give a "smooth" look
Name:  IMG_20110305_141052.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  161.9 KB

installed

and this is my intake piping
Name:  308189_2453655341018_1241079109_33072452_1567586051_n.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  56.6 KB
Name:  298321_2459728412841_1241079109_33079400_762712471_n.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  42.4 KB

Last edited by tigersharkdude; 03-20-2012 at 11:23 AM.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287

Maybe I'll just redo all the red in my engine bay so it's all brand spankin' new or just clean the **** out of it. I'll be honest, the car has been neglected lately.

I don't know if we can be friends anymore....I never liked the tin foil but now the sweatbands?
Old 03-20-2012, 02:56 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/40-PC-FLUSH-...ht_3925wt_1270

$24.99 shipped. Your choice of color. 20 total bolts with washers (40 pcs.)
Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  31.4 KB

they also have a pack of 40 (80 pcs.), they come without anodized coating
http://www.ebay.com/itm/80-PC-FLUSH-...ht_3096wt_1270
Old 03-20-2012, 03:20 PM
Got Retrofit?

Originally Posted by luvlexus101
I don't know if we can be friends anymore....I never liked the tin foil but now the sweatbands?
So be it.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:52 PM

And this.... I've NEVER understood this! This goes hand in hand with my above comment, wires are kind of an expected thing in the engine bay, alongside reservoirs, while they may not look great, they're kind of overlooked. When you put big flashy blue loom and red sweatbands on them though, that's ALL YOU SEE. Why, why? WHY? do you want to draw attention to your not-so-appealing components? I should think the idea would be quite the opposite, if you're going for looks.
To settle this I think you have to post a picture of your engine bay so we can all see this "taste" of yours
Old 03-20-2012, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by jowo9
Ok, so I know that some aren't as concerned as others about the appearance of their engine bay... but I just am curious to see what ideas people have to make their engines look pretty For instance, NWP hardware tends to look good, many have FSTBs, which might have more of a "look" benefit than a performance benefit, and a good ol' SRI never hurts either hehe... I'm not toooo crazy with the aesthetics of my engine bay, but I have painted my engine cover, and put some red tape on a few of my wires/harnesses (ghetto, I know, but I like it... and there isn't tooooo much )... So just to be clear, this isn't JUST an engine cover thread... there've already been plenty of those. I was just curious as to what other bling/good stuff other people have done in this department (original ideas welcomed!).
Here's mine: (I know the pic is pretty huge...)
Clean
Old 03-20-2012, 04:56 PM

change out all the hoses. A looks mod as well as preventative maintenance because eventually they all break
Old 03-20-2012, 07:49 PM

thought id might share this cause it will be the cleanest 5th gen bay EVER LOL.......cant wait to put the motor back in with alllllllll the polished goodies and full wire tuck...imagine the bay painted and just the motor and tranny and radiator in the bay.....shaved engine bay pics
Name:  IMAG0003.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  55.3 KB
Name:  IMAG0001.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  53.0 KB
Name:  IMAG0002.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  54.8 KB
Old 03-20-2012, 07:52 PM

noyce
Old 03-21-2012, 05:39 AM

To settle this I think you have to post a picture of your engine bay so we can all see this "taste" of yours
Old 03-21-2012, 06:18 AM

Expecially for you Ranmas, with that beautiful blue IM, but all I can look at in that pic is blue lines going all over the place with no rhyme or reason. The Powersteering/coolant lines, etc over on the Passenger side look good in blue, because they have a nice smooth flow line, and are routed with purpose, following the lines of the engine bay. The other lines though, look like you had some loom left over and just felt compelled to use it. Pull a few off, especially over around the battery and brake reservoir side, for what it takes, and re-evaluate, I'd bet you'll leave them off.

And when all you need to do to make a very nice engine bay out of that, is to remove a few pieces of loom? Kind of a no brainer, at least, for me.

Something to think about, just from another's perspective, as 4 eyes are better than 2.

(unless 2 of those 4 eyes have no taste of course)
you know what.....I'm gonna take your advice and remove some of them and take a pic and see what it looks like. Maybe your right. I'll take a pic and re-evaluate. I think when I put the blue engine custom engine cover on that it will be an overload of blue......
Old 03-21-2012, 06:23 AM

Ah, I see what you did there John.... I wouldn't have seen that post if not for your quote.

My engine bay is not detailed, it's stock. I've never cleaned it. I'll wash it before I sell the car though, it has a protective coating throughout, so when I do clean it, it's going to sparkle pearl white

This is very old, I recommend the squeemish to avert their eyes:

Old 03-21-2012, 06:30 AM

you know what.....I'm gonna take your advice and remove some of them and take a pic and see what it looks like. Maybe your right. I'll take a pic and re-evaluate. I think when I put the blue engine custom engine cover on that it will be an overload of blue......
Blue engine cover? Against a glossy blue UIM? Oh boy...

At least you went with a contrasting shade of blue, yes? Otherwise it's going to look like a Smurf exploded under your hood.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:45 AM

Silver, black, white, yellow, orange, chrome, maroon, red, even a spot of green... all blended together with a decade-old layer of crud.

Well, you get bravery points for posting that here. But that's about it.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:26 AM

Blue engine cover? Against a glossy blue UIM? Oh boy...

At least you went with a contrasting shade of blue, yes? Otherwise it's going to look like a Smurf exploded under your hood.
Yeh...PAPA SMURF!!!
Old 03-21-2012, 07:35 AM

Yeh...PAPA SMURF!!!
under the hood looks like Papa Smurf was like "smurf, smurf, smurf"
Old 03-21-2012, 08:46 AM

Ah, I see what you did there John.... I wouldn't have seen that post if not for your quote.

My engine bay is not detailed, it's stock. I've never cleaned it. I'll wash it before I sell the car though, it has a protective coating throughout, so when I do clean it, it's going to sparkle pearl white

I like it, very simple. nothing screaming for attention. Personally I would of gone with the grey filter but other than that good stuff. Love the lights too
Old 03-21-2012, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by luvlexus101
Name:  AGuZs.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  39.4 KB
Old 03-21-2012, 09:12 AM

Silver, black, white, yellow, orange, chrome, maroon, red, even a spot of green... all blended together with a decade-old layer of crud.

Well, you get bravery points for posting that here. But that's about it.
Where's the green?

I like it, very simple. nothing screaming for attention. Personally I would of gone with the grey filter but other than that good stuff. Love the lights too
^Very surprising comment, but thank you.

My engine bay is a mess, I know it, I don't care much either. If I was keeping the car I'd have it on the list of things to attend to, but it'd still be on the back burner.

All that said, a CLEANING is high on my list of things to do, and it's another nice day today, so I think I'll find an old toothbrush and go to it. I'll try peeling a few obnoxious stickers off while I"m at it. If I get really ambitious Ill try painting the yellow caps that I hate so much. Should make for a nice before/after in this thread LMAO

And I'm putting that yellow battery in the G, so it's colour won't play in at all. Thank god the G has a cover over the battery so I don't have to worry about it
Old 03-21-2012, 09:41 AM

Where's the green?
Something green on your yellow battery.

And while I can't see it in this blurry pic, I bet your EVAP valve cap is green.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:24 PM

This better?

Name:  IMG_4894.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  160.7 KB

Name:  IMG_4883.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  167.7 KB

Name:  IMG_4885.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  162.7 KB
Old 03-21-2012, 12:58 PM

^^Whats the difference
Old 03-21-2012, 01:20 PM

^^Whats the difference
He removed stickers, and he painted/replaced reservoir caps... but mostly he powerwashed the engine bay.

And yes, Tuner, it looks lots better. Ready to sell!
Old 03-21-2012, 01:31 PM

Im going with the pollen theme in my engine bay at the moment. Worst time of year....cant keep your car clean
Old 03-21-2012, 01:39 PM

Im going with the pollen theme in my engine bay at the moment. Worst time of year....cant keep your car clean
LOL I feel you. TN has horrid pollen too (my sinus' are like FFFFFFFUUUUUUU!)
Old 03-21-2012, 01:44 PM

He removed stickers, and he painted/replaced reservoir caps... but mostly he powerwashed the engine bay.

And yes, Tuner, it looks lots better. Ready to sell!
I see what you've been saying though, as soon as i got a few things clean, the little things were staring me in the face. I found all the green you were talking about.

I should've and might paint the caps black though.

The oil spray stuff was a PITA to get off!!! But as expected it left some nice paint underneath
Old 03-21-2012, 01:46 PM

LOL I feel you. TN has horrid pollen too (my sinus' are like FFFFFFFUUUUUUU!)
Its terrible. ITs never this bad this early. Here in ATL we broke the record pollen count the other day. Its "extremely high" everyday <except the water is streming out of my nose
Old 03-21-2012, 03:31 PM

A little while ago, I was thinking what to do with the strut bolts, as a temporary measure. Later this year, I'll be getting a GT-Spec FSTB, and when I do I'll get the brackets powdercoated, and get some titanium hardward. But in the meantime, I was thinking about how to make the strut towers look a little better.

Then I tried some black rubber vacuum caps, and I like it. They give it a nice, finished touch.

I also replaced the two acorn nuts at the bottom of the engine cover with stainless steel and a couple of polished titanium washers. All in all, it's looking pretty clean. Although you can see why I want to get the oil cap to match the radiator cap cover.

But it is new(ish) after all. A work in progress which should keep me entertained for a number of years.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

^
Old 03-21-2012, 05:25 PM

The open-hood sensor is kind of pricey, but since you bought one, kewl. However, IDK how you're going to powdercoat it, because you need to separate the plastic from the hardware, and I don't see any way to do that without breaking it.
You gotta have a soft touch Roc. Its just like makin luv. You cant just go in there beatin it up all fast and finish quick. Gotta take your time, nice and slow, then it pops right out :

LOL...just jokin bro.

I tried to remove those yellow stickers near the Radiator. The one came off perfect with no residue but the other one peeled off but left the back in sticky crap all over. Tried using a razor blade to scrape it off but did not want to ruin the paint. Any suggestions?

I also got that radiator cap (in blue of course). Looks like GARBAGE on the OEM radiator, but will look alot better on the Aluminum Mishimoto radiator when installed.

ALSO I took your an TunerMax advice and REMOVED THE BLUE WIRE LOOMS EVERYWHERE. You guys were RIGHT.....it looks ALOT better. BUT I still like the BLUE engine cover with the BLUE manifold...PAPA SMURF ALL DAY. Especially with the letters and nissan emblem. Used scotch tape to just hold letters temporarily so they would not fall off to take a pic and see how it would look when I actually use the double sided tape on the back of the letters!

Gonna get some of that POR15 stuff and work on the rusted spots up in there! Going to continue cleaning that bay up. Wont look as good as yours did EVER, but its something to aspire too

Thanks for the advice....

Quick Reply: What do you do to make your engine look pretty? :)